How much devotion for Thassa's Oracle?

WWolfe
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WWolfe » 4 years ago

How much devotion do you need in your deck for Thassa's Oracle to be a viable alternative win condition in a Sidisi, Brood Tyrant deck?

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I mean 2 could be the answer if you have altar of dementia and dread return or something :)

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

I won with a devotion of 11 the other day. Of course, I had gotten severely milled by one player, and reanimated another player's Thassa since I didn't have one. So I'm not actually sure how much of a devotion you should need.

The correct answer is probably whatever your average library size is by the time you're ready to close out the game. So if you're not milling yourself into the single digits then she probably isn't a very reliable wincon. I've seen her used in Brago just for the constant blinking and scrying though.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Like 96, minus the number of cards you can draw/mill.

Clearly, it's more efficient to draw/mill than to harness devotion.

I guess, the question will come down to your meta; how many attacks/ETB triggers are you expecting to get with Sidisi, plus ancillary mill/draw.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

I would say zero. If you are trying to play the card as more than Lab Man on an ETB rather than needing to survive it, I think maybe you should be playing it differently. In all reality, if you play it out with a few cards left in library its probably not the end of the world but I really wouldn't plan on having a bunch of devotion for it.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I mean if you're playing Demonic Consultation or Tainted Pact, then you literally don't need any devotion at all.

I mean you are always going to need more of a game plan than Sidisi, Brood Tyrant triggers to mill your library for a Thassa's Oracle win, so what else do you have to put cards into your graveyard?

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you have 5 devotion or no devotion to Blue, your deck has to be designed to deplete your library with inevitability, so its going to come down to the ability to mill your library rather than devotion.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

WWolfe wrote:
4 years ago
How much devotion do you need in your deck for Thassa's Oracle to be a viable alternative win condition in a Sidisi, Brood Tyrant deck?
1. Cast Thassa's Oracle
2. Respond to trigger on the stack with Demonic Consultation.
3. Name a card not in your deck, exiling all of it.
4. Trigger resolves.
5. You're winner! thumbsup.jpg

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Gwathnar

Post by Gwathnar » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
WWolfe wrote:
4 years ago
1. Cast Thassa's Oracle
2. Respond to trigger on the stack with Demonic Consultation.
3. Name a card not in your deck, exiling all of it.
4. Trigger resolves.
5. You're winner! thumbsup.jpg
This.

I've got Thassa's Oracle in my Sidisi, Brood Tyrant deck as a back up win con (it's a Food Chain combo deck). I either do the above or active Hermit Druid to bin my deck (after exiling Kozilek from the deck).

Tainted Pact is another option but you need to have no cards with the same name in your deck so only 1 of each basic if you are running basic lands.

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 4 years ago

I use Thassa's Oracle in a Brago EDH (well-tuned but no stax elements). All I did was replace another 2-cmc card with an ETB, so including it essentially required no extra deck building considerations.

If scry 1 approximates the value of drawing 0.5 a card, it being an extra win-con is enough value for me since Brago never gets there chipping in for 2 cmdr dmg a turn. Fwiw, I also have Master of Waves.

MrMystery314

Post by MrMystery314 » 4 years ago

The best answer is 0 simply because it's hard to get to an empty library without winning in the process, especially as you're discussing Oracle as a win condition. If you're opposed to that idea, it's still a strong value piece even as a scry, although many players (rightfully so) will view your playing it as a sign your deck is an extreme threat.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”