Unusual tribal decks

FoxM1
I'm certainly something
Pronoun: he / him

Post by FoxM1 » 4 years ago

Hello everyone!

I want to run a tribal deck that is kind of out there. It doesn't have to be good at all, just something kinda fun. I was looking into doing something with Kithkin, as they are one of my favorite creature types, but I am not really sure if there is really a good commander for them. I thought maybe Gaddock Teeg but that really makes me lose the blue Kithkin. I just want to see something new and exciting.

Have any of you had any experience with some weird tribal decks you've built? I would love to hear about some cool tribes I maybe haven't even thought of. Maybe you've got some insight that I don't have and I would love to do something different.

Tags:

Dragoon
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dragoon » 4 years ago

Bird tribal with Kangee, Aerie Keeper was fun at the time, maybe Derevi, Empyrial Tactician would be a better general now.
RG Hydra Tribal with Rosheen Meanderer was also nice, although Gargos, Vicious Watcher offers now a better, more flavorful option (but you lose red in the process)

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

Advisors are an absurd five colour tribe which doesn't hang together whatsoever >:3 some have fish prison-style abilities, some are P3K remakes of classic creatures ie Ravenous Rats, some Conspiracy-era minutae, a lot of Azorius and Orzhov 1/2 nerds. there's plenty of legends among their number but none span all five colours. Was looking at Riven Turnbull who has been revised into an Advisor as a possible commander for a stubborn 0% power deck with no synergy in it whatsoever, giggle. He's the weakest; Kambal, Consul of Allocation might be the best pick among them?

the problem with 'em might be that most advisors are humans too so the theme feels trivial?

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

I feel like Morophon opens up a lot of options. Humans, God, Elder, Wolf, Rogue, Avatar....

I would personally go with Gorgons, though.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

I suggested a tribal: Looking to the left and Looking to the right lol if you wanna get silly....There's also the tribal woman looking in a diraction or tribal chair
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 4 years ago

My favorite tribal is changeling tribal by far. Casting a Demon-Dragon-Elf-Wizard-Beast-Ninja-God doesn't really ever get old.

Non-shadowborne apostle cleric tribal is pretty sweet and lets you play a bunch of neat old cards like Edgewalker. There's also a handful of kithkin clerics.

tempoEDH

Post by tempoEDH » 4 years ago

The only truly strange tribal deck I have ever made is probably Atogs, led by the one and only Atogatog. Very loose deck design, so as to include all of the things that the various atogs needed to get bigger, and the big boi goes stomp. Surprisingly fun, though not particularly good. This one is a little less unusual, but for anyone who hasn't tried it yet, look into knight tribal. I feel like a lot of people forget that it's an option, but Aryel, Knight of Windgrace makes for an interesting deck with a lot more interaction than things like soldier, making it feel a lot less linear.
Current Decks:
Alesha, Who Smiles at Death EDH
Karlov of the Ghost Council EDH
Sidisi, Brood Tyrant EDH
Edgar Markov EDH
Emmara, Soul of the Accord EDH
Yarok, the Desecrated EDH
Grenzo, Dungeon Warden EDH
Kalamax (No infinites) EDH
Ghalta EDH
Current Projects:
Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa/Silas Renn, Seeker Adept EDH
Neheb, the Eternal EDH

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 4 years ago

I discuss Tribal EDH here. Keeping in mind my personal preference of 1/3 "on-tribe" (using the Tribal Identity concept) I have made or currently have built the following:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
* denotes a type mismatch between the deck and the General (which I only tend to use when there is no suitable general, or none in the necessary colors - e.g. Walls)

WUBRG Ally* Karona, False God
WBR Angel Kaalia, Zenith Seeker
GWU Angel Jenara, Asura of War
GUB Assassin* Damia, Sage of Stone
WUBRG Avatar Karona, False God
RGW Beast Gahiji, Honored One
RGW Beast Uril, the Miststalker
WU Bird Kangee, Aerie Keeper
RGW Cat Marisi, Breaker of the Coil
G Cat Jedit Ojanen of Efrava
GW Cat Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist
WUBRG Cat Morophon, the Boundless
BR Demon Rakdos, Lord of Riots
G Druid Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
G Druid Seton, Krosan Protector
URG Elemental Animar, Soul of Elements
WUBRG Elemental Horde of Notions
BGW Fungus Ghave, Guru of Spores
RW Giant Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas
RWU Giant Ruhan of the Fomori
C Golem Karn, Silver Golem
W Griffin Zuberi, Golden Feather
R Human Homura, Human Ascendant
R Human Marton Stromgald
WUBRG Hydra Progenitus
U Illusion Toothy, Imaginary Friend
WUBRG Illusion Cromat
BRG Insect Xira Arien
WB Knight Aryel, Knight of Windgrace
BRG Knight Adun Oakenshield
RWU Monk Zedruu the Greathearted
UBRG Ogre Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder
B Rat Marrow-gnawer
UB Rogue Sygg, River Cutthroat
GU Rogue Edric, Spymaster of Trest
G Shaman Yeva, Nature's Herald
WUB Shapeshifters Halfdane
G Snake Seshiro the Anointed
GU Snake Kaseto, Orochi Archmage
WB Spirit Karlov of the Ghost Council
U Spirit Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
U Spirit The Unspeakable
BG Spirit Iname as One
BGW Spirit Karador, Ghost Chieftain
WUBR Thopter Breya, Etherium Shaper
BG Treefolk Sapling of Colfenor
UBR Vampire Garza Zol, Plague Queen
BGW Wall* Doran, the Siege Tower
WBR Warrior Zurgo Helmsmasher
RG (Were)Wolf* Ulrich of the Krallenhorde
RGW (Were)Wolf* Jacques le Vert
UR Wizard Nin, the Pain Artist
UBR Zombie Lord of Tresserhorn
Most of those are (or were) on MTGO. The only decks that are (or were) in paper: Edric (R), Ghave, Animar(R), Horde of Notions, Garza Zol, Sygg, Mirri(R), Breya, Gahiji - where (R) is a retired deck.

If you have questions about one or more of the decks, or partial decklists for any of them, please let me know.
V/R

Treamayne

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

How about dwarf tribal with Torbran? It needs a little work, but I haven't really gotten around to testing. I think Fires of Invention should probably find a place, but in general the deck likely needs card draw improved.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 4 years ago

I run a cleric tribal deck with these 2 as a commander:
In addition to creatures that have evasion and creatures that are good to play, sacrifice, and get back into the with Ravos, it has these cards for cleric tribal synergy:
And cards like Arena rector and Academy Rector have good synergy with cards like Yawgmoth, thran physician.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1

Post by BaronCappuccino » 4 years ago

I have demon tribal under Rakdos the Defiler, but it's not tribal in the traditional sense, and honestly, unless you're playing one of the flagship tribes -- goblins, merfolk, elves, etc -- you won't really be playing a tribal deck in any meaningful sense. There's a scale of tribal in my opinion, where a one is that you're running all the same creature type, but nothing in your deck really cares, a three is like my own, where the commander rewards focusing on a relatively unsupported tribe but most of the cards don't care, and a five is any of your flagship tribes where almost every card can self reference, and twos and fours are shades in between.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”