Grim Return vs Minion's Return

AnarchyStarfish
Pronoun: he / him

Post by AnarchyStarfish » 4 years ago

I have a casual Mathas, Fiend Seeker deck where I have a few slots dedicated to capitalizing on how my opponents are going to be killing so many of each other's creatures. This slot was, up until now, used for Grim Return, but after THB I started considering whether Minion's Return, a new card, was the better option. What are some of the pros and cons of each and which is the better include? Thanks!

Tags:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Grim Return is a bit more resilient than Minion's Return.

Minion's Return being an enchantment means that opponents can remove it before the trigger happens.

Grim Return on the other hand can even be cast at end of turn, allowing much more things to have been done, and patience always works out better.

AnarchyStarfish

Post by AnarchyStarfish » 4 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
Grim Return is a bit more resilient than Minion's Return.

Minion's Return being an enchantment means that opponents can remove it before the trigger happens.

Grim Return on the other hand can even be cast at end of turn, allowing much more things to have been done, and patience always works out better.
But isn't the downside to Grim Return that you need to hold up the mana for it constantly? You can play politics by attaching Minion's Return to a creature, which essentially acts as a pseudo-Pacifism since now its controller has to worry about you gaining control of it if it dies in combat.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 years ago

I like Grim Return better. As mentioned above, you get to pick which creature dies after the dust settles.
Minion's Return is blanked by a sac outlet in response to the enchantment cast. Its also subject to removal before the creature dies.
Yes, you have to hold mana up for Grim Return, but you are likely doing that anyway with Minion's Return to make sure you get the creature just before it dies. Otherwise you risk it getting destroyed before the creature.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”