Why is everyone in cEDH keep calling about 'ban' Flash thing?

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

MrMystery314 wrote:
4 years ago
I find it quite interesting how everyone has tactfully avoided my preferred nuclear option.
I assume it's this:
The Nuclear Option™
Show
Hide
My answer to the "Ban Flash" conundrum is to "unban everything and let people figure out individually what they want to do".
It's a non-starter, IMO. People in support of the status quo have no reason to change anything. We like the format as it is.

Competitive players claim to like the format as is minus one card. The belief is that such a minor change shouldn't affect anyone else (it does), or that the number of people affected would be trivial (it's not; it's not just people who currently play Flash in non-competitive games).
Somehow I've found an option that makes the diehard cEDH players feel spited because they don't get their curated format, while the casual players feel as if the doors have been unleashed for actors in bad faith to create misery for all.
Well, at least Paradox Engine would be unbanned, RIGHT?

I don't think casual players would feel like bad actors have been unleashed. We've already encountered bad actors, and adding more tools to their arsenal isn't going to enable them to ruin games even more than they (bad actors) already do.
That is still what I personally believe would be most fun, and I regret that I have been inspired by the ludicrous arguments made on both sides to attempt to participate as anything but the crazy guy shunned by all.
In some senses, this is already in operation. My group permits Wish cards to function, but also, in what would appear to be a weird coincidence, none of us ever play Deadeye Navigator. If you're interested, ask me in what sense the banlist does shape our games.

My group talks about what we want to play. Recently, we decided (as a group) that Perplexing Chimera is unfun.
Casual EDH players, get everything unbanned and let competitive players cry when you resolve Worldfire.
I don't know which universe you get to resolve a 9 mana sorcery in a 'competitive' game without having infinite mana first.
Also, as a parting thought, suppose cEDH splinters off and bans Flash. Should the people who accurately believe cEDH ought to be defined as optimizing MTG under the rules of EDH keep playing Flash Hulk in regular EDH, as they're too competitive for the EDH crowd?
I don't follow the implication, here.

The position of the cEDH subreddit seems to be that they believe in optimizing within the current EDH rules/ban framework, and that there is now a consensus that the framework kind of sucks (because Flash is legal).

Regarding this, I think cEDH players just want to skip any conversation about what kinds of decks they want to play: Their 'Rule 0 discussion' is tantamount to 'anything officially legal is permissible'.

I also think that the 'ban flash and we will go away' crowd is short-sighted: The ban and restricted lists for extant competitive formats is long, and EDH as a format just doesn't want banlists of that length. It harms accessibility, which is part and parcel to being casual in the first place.
Last edited by Sinis 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Tags:

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 4 years ago

Spleenface wrote:
4 years ago
papa_funk wrote:
4 years ago
MrMystery314 wrote:
4 years ago
While utilitarianism understandably rubs a lot of members here the wrong way, especially if the cost-benefit analysis doesn't agree with their personal opinion, from my personal perspective it is the right call. That's how society works: there are always winners and losers, and nobody is forcing you to stay if you happen to be part of the minority.
If we apply utilitarianism, then the answer is clear - all cEDH requests should be ignored. They are vastly, vastly outnumbered.

To put it another way:
MrMystery314 wrote:
4 years ago
I don't think that banning Flash treats Spikes as a priority over everyone else, as empirically Flash would be a tiny proportion of the ban list.
That one ban would be a greater proportion of the ban list than cEDH play is in the format.

I don't recommend this as the hill you want to die on.
If you apply rule utilitarianism, sure. But for act utilitarianism? I really haven't seen anyone trying to make the case that Flash is enabling more fun than it's preventing. If information that suggests this exists, I'd love to see it.

And are we certain that cEDH play accounts for less than 2.5% of play? Online engagement tracks with how invested someone is, which certainly skews the data in favour of the max power players, but those are also disproportionately the players who engage in a lot of commander play, as opposed to the average commander player, who Shivam claimed plays 3 hours a month based on internal data.

The banlist is not based on utilitarianism. It's a guideline meant to demonstrate what sort of things you should avoid if you want good games, and banning those cards that almost always lead to bad games and would be highly played if unbanned (as well as the broken power 9, or at least 8 of them because Timetwister isn't particularly busted in the format). Utilitarianism does not serve the purpose of the banlist very well, and if act utilitarianism were applied the banlist would be a mile long. There are plenty of cards that some people really hate that aren't problematic, and not widely played enough to earn enough good place points or however you want to measure positive impact to offset how much they piss off some players. Infect, like every card with infect, would eat a ban, because infect isn't ran very much but the players who hate it absolutely %$#% hate it. Banning infect would greatly benefit the small minority of players who hate it with the fury of a thousand suns a do a minor to moderate amount of harm to the small minority of players who run infect, since they generally don't like infect as much as the players who hate it hate it. Basically theres more players who hate infect than love it, and about equal amounts who like it as dislike it, so banning infect would, by act utilitarianism, be a positive thing. But utilitarianism sucks at defining and promoting a coherent philosophy, and that's the purpose of the banlist. Banning infect would not be furthering the format's philosophy, it would be setting a precedent that bans would be subject to the whims of the community, and we'd have a long, unwieldy, incoherent, and constantly expanding banlist that would kill the format.

Spleenface

Post by Spleenface » 4 years ago

Of course, I wasn't suggesting that the banlist should operate on utilitarianism, I was just replying to the idea that utilitarianism would mean that any max power oriented ban should be discarded as a matter of course.

Spleenface

But to all the philosophy and banlist purpose discussion, I have just one thing to add:

Had the RC, in 2017, announced that Protean Hulk was unbanned and Flash was banned, would that have been a total failure of the philosophy of the format?

I know there were other arguments surrounding Iona and Painter's Servant and that the decisions may have been made independently, but the fact is, a huge number of people saw it as "painter's servant can be free now that Iona is gone", and I really didn't hear many complaints from people who believed that, regardless of if they were correct.

My guess is that most people would have immediately seen the logic behind that decision, and there would have been very little fuss.

Maybe some people will disagree, and think there would have been a substantial pushback if Flash had been banned along with Hulk's unbanning, but let's assume for a second there wouldn't have been.

What does this mean? To me, it means that the opposition to the Flash ban is largely based on who is asking for it.

If you believe, as I do, that banning Flash when they unbanned hulk would not have been an issue, then what has changed? The only thing that has changed is that now max power players want it, and that changing the amount of opposition to a given change really seems like direct hostility towards one style of play.

Sinis

Spleenface wrote:
4 years ago
But to all the philosophy and banlist purpose discussion, I have just one thing to add:

Had the RC, in 2017, announced that Protean Hulk was unbanned and Flash was banned, would that have been a total failure of the philosophy of the format?
It would have been weirdly arbitrary in the face of the philosophy, yes.
I know there were other arguments surrounding Iona and Painter's Servant and that the decisions may have been made independently, but the fact is, a huge number of people saw it as "painter's servant can be free now that Iona is gone", and I really didn't hear many complaints from people who believed that, regardless of if they were correct.
Iona's banning was unrelated to Painter's unbanning. You know what's better than Iona with Painter's? Grindstone. But, this is a combo that's well known; it's just at the point now that it's not something we should care about. More on that further down this post.
Maybe some people will disagree, and think there would have been a substantial pushback if Flash had been banned along with Hulk's unbanning, but let's assume for a second there wouldn't have been.
There wasn't substantial pushback from any quarter, afaik. I think it's baseless to claim either way how things 'would have been' knowing what we know now.
What does this mean? To me, it means that the opposition to the Flash ban is largely based on who is asking for it.
I strongly disagree. To promote a change in the status quo, you need to show that a change would be positive for the majority of players. I know this, personally; I have advocated for Wishes to be legal fairly extensively (spoiler alert: I did not get what I wished for).

The RC isn't keeping Flash unbanned to spite cEDH players. It has been keeping it unbanned because it doesn't meet the threshold for banning, for all the reasons Flash was unbanned in the first place.
If you believe, as I do, that banning Flash when they unbanned hulk would not have been an issue, then what has changed? The only thing that has changed is that now max power players want it, and that changing the amount of opposition to a given change really seems like direct hostility towards one style of play.
I would venture that one of the principles for banning cards is that it can 'accidentally' create negative play experiences. Paradox Engine seems to have been banned for this very reason; just included in decks, it permitted endless durdling without actually generating a meaningful change in board state. It also seems to be one of the reasons why Primeval Titan is banned; it becomes the focus of reanimation and cloning, and the game becomes a one-dimensional who-can-focus-more-on-Titan.

These cards differ from Flash and Protean Hulk, because if you're breaking those cards, you know exactly what you're doing. Same with Painterstone; Helm of Obedience + Rest in Peace is another similar combo that was never banned. Those strategies are well known, and if you're in two-card-combo-land, that's a discussion you should have with your opponents before playing. These kinds of conversations that have always been part of what EDH is supposed to be comprised of.

The other half of this is that the banned list is meant to be as short as possible. You can't play Upheaval, but you can play Jokulhaups. The idea has always been that the ban list is a steering mechanism, and that it's meant to imply how you might maximize your fun with a random person.

You're attempting to make an argument (with pretty sketchy premises) that people here do not want you to enjoy yourselves and that the RC is feeling the pressure from angry casuals. We want you to enjoy yourselves, and just about everyone in this thread has repeatedly said "Go ahead and play your optimized lists".

Not wanting the format to change philosophies in order to cater to a tiny minority is not tantamount to hostility for a playstyle.

MrMystery314
Pronoun: he / him

Post by MrMystery314 » 4 years ago

As someone who's always been on the bandwagon of "play the strongest deck in the format until it gets banned, everyone else be damned," whenever Flash Hulk is rendered impossible for whatever reason I'm jumping into the next big thing. Please don't sue me.

Sinis

MrMystery314 wrote:
4 years ago
As someone who's always been on the bandwagon of "play the strongest deck in the format until it gets banned, everyone else be damned,"
I'm glad we've had this conversation. I would decline to play with you, not because I find you personally odious, but because we want different gameplay experiences.
whenever Flash Hulk is rendered impossible for whatever reason I'm jumping into the next big thing. Please don't sue me.
This is one of the best arguments to not ban Flash, because I'm confident that if Flash were to ever be banned, we would get new posters here trying to bend the RC's ear saying ban the next big thing once that thing became established as the sole Tier 0 deck.

On the bright side, you won't have to (financially) pivot to a new deck; I know if I were not so deeply inured in my fairly valuable collection, I would find it hard to pivot from TnT SushiHulk to Kess Consult, or Opus Thief, or whatever crawls out of the woodwork next.

MrMystery314

To be fair, I play other decks too like mono-red chaos/stax, and I consider that casual because it wins effectively by factors out of my control unless I purposely skip playing the fun cards in favor of simple MLD and stax. I think all these conversations are confirming that I should simply recuse myself from this thread, seeing as my opinions aren't shared (and logically so!) by sane people on either side. Technically I've never argued for a Flash ban, although then again, does it matter if by definition I lean competitive?

Sinis

MrMystery314 wrote:
4 years ago
Technically I've never argued for a Flash ban, although then again, does it matter if by definition I lean competitive?
Of course it matters. One does not need to have a position in every debate. People can remain agnostic.

I would not doubt that there are competitive players out there (at least a handful!) that believe Flash is okay and that this is just the meta we play in.

Spleenface

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
Spleenface wrote:
4 years ago

It would have been weirdly arbitrary in the face of the philosophy, yes.
Iona's banning was unrelated to Painter's unbanning. You know what's better than Iona with Painter's? Grindstone. But, this is a combo that's well known; it's just at the point now that it's not something we should care about. More on that further down this post.
There wasn't substantial pushback from any quarter, afaik. I think it's baseless to claim either way how things 'would have been' knowing what we know now.
I strongly disagree. To promote a change in the status quo, you need to show that a change would be positive for the majority of players. I know this, personally; I have advocated for Wishes to be legal fairly extensively (spoiler alert: I did not get what I wished for).

The RC isn't keeping Flash unbanned to spite cEDH players. It has been keeping it unbanned because it doesn't meet the threshold for banning, for all the reasons Flash was unbanned in the first place.
I would venture that one of the principles for banning cards is that it can 'accidentally' create negative play experiences. Paradox Engine seems to have been banned for this very reason; just included in decks, it permitted endless durdling without actually generating a meaningful change in board state. It also seems to be one of the reasons why Primeval Titan is banned; it becomes the focus of reanimation and cloning, and the game becomes a one-dimensional who-can-focus-more-on-Titan.

You're attempting to make an argument (with pretty sketchy premises) that people here do not want you to enjoy yourselves and that the RC is feeling the pressure from angry casuals. We want you to enjoy yourselves, and just about everyone in this thread has repeatedly said "Go ahead and play your optimized lists".

Not wanting the format to change philosophies in order to cater to a tiny minority is not tantamount to hostility for a playstyle.
It's fine if you want to dispute the premise of my argument there, you fundamentally believe it would have been against the philosophy and would have had a lot of pushback, this was a hypothetical so no sense in arguing

But you seem to have missed the point on a lot of the rest of it. I wasn't suggesting that Iona was banned to make way for Painter's Servant, I specifically said the opposite. I was suggesting that that perception existed and didn't seem to cause problems.
I hard disagree that Grindstone + Servant is "better" than Iona + Servant, but again, not really relevant.

I wasn't talking about the RC when I said pushback. The RC is gun-shy about changes and I don't blame them. I was talking about people who essentially say "I've literally never played with or against Flash and banning it would be terrible for the format", who many of them seem to object more on the grounds of who's asking for the ban than any evaluation of the card itself.

I get the "accidentally create negative play experiences" aspect, but it only goes so far. If you are playing a durdley ramp + fatties battlecruiser deck, is a mox really going to create a negative play experience? How about black lotus? Every broken card requires some level of intent, and while Flash Hulk is at the high end of that spectrum for sure, it's not a black and white answer.

Again, I'm not saying you or the RC are hostile to max power play, they clearly aren't. I'm saying that people who would not have objected to flash being banned in 2017 when hulk was unbanned, but are now objecting that it's being asked for by players at the top end of the power curve are implicitly hostile to people playing at that top end, and I believe a fairly substantial number of these people exist.

And not from you, but several other people in this thread and other have been pretty explicitly hostile.

And while many people have said "go ahead play your optimized lists", some of them have the subtext of "go away and play your optimized lists".

The larger point I was trying to make is that most of the arguments I've seen to support a Flash ban being against the philosophy rely more on who is asking for it than an actual evaluation of the card itself and whether or not it fits with what people think should be allowable in commander, and basing your arguments that way carries an implicit hostility towards higher power play.

Sinis

Spleenface wrote:
4 years ago

And not from you, but several other people in this thread and other have been pretty explicitly hostile.

And while many people have said "go ahead play your optimized lists", some of them have the subtext of "go away and play your optimized lists".
There is hostility, yes.

To give you some perspective why (and only if you have a lot of time on your hands and just finished a book and don't want to start a new one), check out this 8-month old thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=567

I see you're familiar with that thread, but not a frequent user here.

I'm agnostic about Cryogen's research methods that the aforementioned thread was a response to (actually, I'm not, but it's not relevant to this post), but the salient parts are that of the 10k respondents the vast majority felt they had no say in the format (Question 15, it's a scale of 1 to 10). It's also notable that 37.5% of respondents are in favour of a Flash ban (though, I wonder if either of those numbers are the result of a push from reddit).

In the intervening time, we get occasional 'drive-by's regarding competitive commander and I would venture this is where the hostility comes from. That's not a justification; it's to make it understandable rather than excusable. Unlike reddit, Nexus' format permits people to show up and be seen, and we have entertained a lot of less-than-great-posts from cEDH advocates (many, presumably, from reddit; during the 'Having Your Voice Heard' thread, I saw people on /r/competitiveedh taking credit for some of the less exciting posts). It does not help that the most visible cEDH community (reddit, in particular) has been eternally hostile towards the stewards of the format who many posters here support in most of their decisions. It's seen as a personal attack when people call Sheldon a 'whiny man-baby', or 'monumentally incompetent', because we often support those decisions. Not every one of them... but most of them. I, personally, think the RC does a really good job, especially given their manpower.
The larger point I was trying to make is that most of the arguments I've seen to support a Flash ban being against the philosophy rely more on who is asking for it than an actual evaluation of the card itself and whether or not it fits with what people think should be allowable in commander, and basing your arguments that way carries an implicit hostility towards higher power play.
I think that those arguments default on the card evaluation because Flash was unbanned in recent memory, which means that it is default within current philosophies. We don't evaluate the card because it's already believed to have been evaluated.

I would also not conflate wanting the format's underlying philosophy to remain the same with not wanting cEDH philosophy to be part of the official philosophy. While they have the same result, the first one is a positive thesis that asks that the central feature to a thing that started small, and got real big remain the same, while the second is a negative thesis that carries hostility.

I want to say that I'm definitely in the former camp: I want the format to have a short banlist, and to be wide open to a variety of playstyles. I have written on several occasions that I hope Flash is never banned, because that would be emblematic to the fact that the underlying philosophy of a format I have loved and played for a decade (indeed, the format I even returned to magic for from a 8+ year hiatus; I originally stopped playing around Tempest/Stronghold/Exodus) has changed.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 4 years ago

Spleenface wrote:
4 years ago

I don't mean this to be hostile towards you at all but I'm very very strongly in the camp of "go away and play your optimized lists". My favorite deck to pilot in this format is my Changeling Tribal deck. By design every card in the deck allows me to say as many creature types as physically possible. I have spent hours optimizing this deck to have basically peaked in its power level. To the best of my knowledge these are the only cards in magic the gathering that would allow that deck to interact with Thassa's Oracle or whatever non-interactive win-condition a cEDH deck chooses to run; Ixidor's Will, Sage's Dousing, Psychic Trance, Wizard's Retort, Voidmage Prodigy. This deck is completely unplayable against any deck that is optimized within only the restriction being the cards listed on the banlist.

I am hostile towards a higher level of power play. To increase the power level of a deck leads naturally leads a deck towards more consistency and less interactive win-conditions. As decks increase in consistency and become less board-state reliant games tend to be significantly more repetitive and dramatically less exciting in my opinion. There is an implicit hostility in the ban-list towards higher levels of EDH play. Banning Flash implies a support of optimizing your decks by the ban-list as it is written not optimizing your deck for those you play with. EDH policed only by a banlist creates a pretty garbage format. EDH policed by vague social agreements has (in my experience) created some of the best formats. Shifting towards the former and away from the latter doesn't seem like it'd improve the format at all to me. I have no experience playing cEDH and absolutely no desire to play cEDH, so take my opinions heavily salted. I want to cast my ninja-dragon-demon-elf-shamans not cast Force of Will on demonic consultation for the 5th game in a row.

Kelzam

Post by Kelzam » 4 years ago

It's astonishing how people can bemoan not being heard and/or being ignored when they're not getting their way.

"No one is evaluating Flash, just the philosophy!"

Could that be because, other than a very small, overly vocal minority that... Flash isn't a problem for everyone else? That there's nothing there to evaluate because it's a non-issue? Other than the sociopaths I've seen popping up in social media groups threatening to play Flash Hulk in casual pods to force a ban.
Level 1 Judge US-South
Founder of MTG Salvation (2005-2019), Proud New Patron of MTG Nexus! (2019+)

My CMDR Primers:

Mr.Guizee
Guiz

Post by Mr.Guizee » 4 years ago

I still think that cEDH needs its own banlist and the cEDH community can provide that if they want to. People say that cEDH doesn't need its own banlist because it's not a different format than EDH but have you guys stopped to analyze the general banlist? Many cards there don't deserve to be banned. Unfortunately the banlist was heavily biased created and it looks like, at least to me, that it will remain that nonsense for eons to come because nobody is willing to do something about that.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

I've been keeping a small eye on this thread over the last few days. I was very reluctant to dip my toe, because these sorts of conversations can attract a)people who say things they don't mean and cause distress and b)people who mean to cause distress for their own agenda. There's always voices of reason too, and that's always nice to see.

Initially, I was of the view that banning Flash would mean very little to casual play, and I think game to game that probably holds. That being said, the bigger impact to the philosophy of the format has a much wider scope than initially I had thought. I think these days while I can understand that it's a problem in top level play I'm in the camp of 'Flash doesn't need banning', and that's purely because of the slippery slope it would create in terms of format philosophy.
I don't mean this to be hostile towards you at all but I'm very very strongly in the camp of "go away and play your optimized lists".
While I academically agree with this (insofar as the decks I run don't go any further than 8, and literally none of them are optimized for land inclusions/mana/tutors), I also want to add that I do consider any rational well spoken cEDH players to be a part of the community to be considered, respected, and conversed with. I don't want to play with you because I don't bring knives to gun fights, but I have no problem with you playing the sort of games you want to play, because everyone in the format deserves a fair shake at a game on an even playing field. I'll grant that I've encountered some toxic players within that part of the community, but I've encountered plenty of salt from casual players too, and I don't believe that that particular issue is with all cEDH players, it's that some people are just jerks, and some of them play MtG.

I'm aware that there's a tiny bit of cognitive dissonance in saying don't ban Flash, but still caring enough about cEDH players to lament that they have to put up with it in their games, but I think that's what rule 0 is for. If it really is that gross (and I have no reason to disbelieve that it isn't, because it sounds thoroughly unenjoyable), the people you play with ought to know better and consider the folks across the table from them. When you reach the point at which your enjoyment is mutually exclusive to another players, you, as a player, are a problem for the format.

Ultimately, this is sort of what most casual players are faced with, too. To a lesser extent, sure, but we still have games where someone brings a nuclear warhead to the table and blasts everyone into oblivion, and it sucks as you all know. If we make it known we're not down for that sort of game, we (generally) avoid those issues. If I play against someone that ignores this despite my efforts, I won't lose any sleep over it but I also won't play them again, not because their deck is too strong, but because they are not the sort of person I enjoy playing games with, end of story.

I'd be interested to hear a little more about the psychology of the sort of person who plays flash hulk anyway. In general, this discussion makes we ponder the intervention between a competitive philosophy towards the format and thoughts around rule 0. Does the 'no holds barred' philosophy mutually exclude you from having that discussion with your fellow gamers? Is there a level of peer pressure that holds you back from having rule 0 discussion? Are the sort of people who play Flash Hulk/Sushi Hulk just jerks you'd prefer not to play? Is there a sense of pride/ego/competition/some other emotion that stops you from declining a game against flash hulk?

I genuinely don't know where the land lies in that part of the world, and perhaps knowing a little more about it in general would give us some insight as to how the issue is solved. Because of outside of like, tournaments and paid play (which the format isn't designed for) it seems like you guys could totally just say 'so yeah, we're down for cEDH but flash play is off limits'. It seems like a fairly small leap to make for something that's a problem for this sector of gamers within the format, but as I say, I'm fairly naive to that aspect of EDH, so feel free to enlighten.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

Spleenface wrote:
4 years ago
How is people having fun differently than you leeching anything? We're all commander players. Statements from the RC have been abundantly clear that no one is playing commander wrong, even if they are trying to focus on a certain type of player. Yet it's somehow acceptable to have this hostility and make broad brush assumptions about a huge number of people you've never even met, based on your interactions with bad actors who those people have specifically condemned. How is that fair?
player A: "i want to play vaevictis asmadi in my deck. Please adjust the rules and ban cards so i can do that."
Spikes "go away casual player! Make your own format if you want to do that!"
-player A creates the format and it's a success-
Spikes: "we want to play turn 3 instawin combo in our deck. Please adjust the rules and ban cards so we can do that.
player A: "... make your own format if you want to do that?"
Spikes "You are rude!!!"

How is that fair?

Also, another one
RC: "there is only one commander format. We try to make everyone happy the best we can"
cEDH players: "RC sucks, Sheldon is a noob! The format would be better in wotc's hands!"
cEDH players: "also RC can you ban flash pretty please?"

How is that fair?

Now i know that you'll wash your hands faster than Pilato's because you never said things like that, but many cEDH players wrote similar things on the forum many times.

Sinis

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
While I academically agree with this (insofar as the decks I run don't go any further than 8, and literally none of them are optimized for land inclusions/mana/tutors), I also want to add that I do consider any rational well spoken cEDH players to be a part of the community to be considered, respected, and conversed with.
This is exactly what I meant in my post; I don't want to play cEDH, but I don't want cEDH players to feel as though they are somehow not allowed to play the format or that they don't have my sympathies.

It's just that this is, and has always been a casual format, and the number of people who play cEDH compared to everyone else is so miniscule that I feel like we've already done them a more than adequate service by entertaining things like a Flash ban for as long as we have.

toctheyounger

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
While I academically agree with this (insofar as the decks I run don't go any further than 8, and literally none of them are optimized for land inclusions/mana/tutors), I also want to add that I do consider any rational well spoken cEDH players to be a part of the community to be considered, respected, and conversed with.
This is exactly what I meant in my post; I don't want to play cEDH, but I don't want cEDH players to feel as though they are somehow not allowed to play the format or that they don't have my sympathies.
This is the most important thing in this discussion. People are quick to get snarky, and whatever side of the debate you fall on it's not ok. Everyone has had %$#% games having been whopped, so no one is a victim moreso than anyone else. We all know how it feels, so there's no reason to take sides. It feels to me like people get the idea that pubstompers=cEDH players, and that isn't the case. There's no us and them, the sort of people who pubstomp are just jerks.

To my mind, the tools are all there for the cEDH meta to be managed. I've done a bit of casual reading around the cEDH reddit this afternoon, and there's a lot of evidence that rule 0 would work just fine. Cryo posted a link to the interview with Toby and there's some interesting and constructive discussion there. From what I've read people understand how it works, why it's a reasonable solution, and how it would work in a real life context. The question then becomes 'why isn't it being implemented?' Is it possible that, as reviled as flash hulk/breakfast hulk/sushi hulk seems to be there's still a pubstomping phenomenon within the cEDH meta? I dunno. But rule 0 works for me and my wildly varied meta online against random's, there's no reason it can't cover cEDH too.

I don't even feel like numbers of cEDH players vs EDH players matters personally. This format specifically is about playing the game the way you want to play it, and any cEDH player with a rational voice deserves to be heard out. Banning Flash isn't the answer, but that's not to say there aren't other ways to approach the situation. Maybe Protean Hulk needs to vanish again. Maybe we all need to pay more attention to rule 0. So long as we're having fruitful discussion about it I'm happy.

MrMystery314

In a perfect world, at least in my opinion, the ban list would only be ante/dexterity cards, Shahrazad (yay, we get to play another game of EDH in the middle of our game of EDH! Interesting in theory, but the fair usage of the card is simply spending a bunch of time finishing a game before people return to another one they've largely forgotten about, and in the worst case trolls continuously loop it until everyone gives up.), cards like conspiracies which are banned in Constructed formats anyway, and the power 9 besides Timetwister and probably Library of Alexandria (unavailable for most people who don't have the luxury of being able to use proxies and gives a significant advantage; Timetwister isn't so good where every deck in blue wants to play it). I think leaving Wishes and similar edge cases up to the playgroup is fair, as although I think from the competitive perspective it would make things more interesting, part of the purpose of EDH is that it's a 100 card format without an explicit sideboard. Then again, I don't think anyone ranging from the "what do you mean, EDH isn't a competitive format? Our LGS runs pods every week and everyone has a blast!" to "what do you mean, people play EDH competitively? Our LGS runs pods every week and everyone has a blast!" would be willing to accept the burden of either a format dominated by degenerate anarchy or having to meticulously rule 0 to fit everyone's individual preferences.
Now i know that you'll wash your hands faster than Pilato's because you never said things like that, but many cEDH players wrote similar things on the forum many times.
I'd wager then that this probably doesn't address their argument in a satisfying manner, as that's attacking the group in general by offering arguments you've heard before instead of actually addressing their own.
"RC sucks, Sheldon is a noob! The format would be better in wotc's hands!"
Anyone who thinks that having WoTC run the format would result in less drama is sorely mistaken, as well as anyone who thinks that if WoTC were to run the format they'd rock the boat significantly by changing philosophies, becoming significantly less inclusive, or playing Keno to determine the ban list.
player A: "i want to play vaevictis asmadi in my deck. Please adjust the rules and ban cards so i can do that."
Spikes "go away casual player! Make your own format if you want to do that!
The group of "player A"s is probably not the main constituent advocating for a ban of Flash now. Besides, asking for permission to do something is quite different than asking for permission to ban something. To use a personal example, speaking as someone who tends to lean competitive in EDH, I couldn't care less if people want to use silver-bordered cards or even banned cards that aren't blatantly over-powered as long as the game doesn't devolve into a rules quagmire or all the other players aren't penalized for not exploiting the new shiny toy. I'm far less happy (although this generally applies to other formats more) when people try to retroactively ban cards or strategies because they realize they make them feel bad; one cannot before the game agree that anything is fair game and be fine with a bunch of decks all doing degenerate things for a few turns until someone combos off and suddenly "oh yeah, combos are OP". Granted, this isn't quite the case here, but the principle remains that any ban list that veers beyond choices almost universally deemed common sense (I wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a few people advocating for the broken P9 to be unbanned if supply is an issue; then again, they probably own copies) will create issues whenever any talk of a ban is on the line. People don't like having their shiny toys taken away from them, including Flash Hulk players who've discovered sheer joy the first time they won on turn 1 and don't want to lose the feeling again.
"we want to play turn 3 instawin combo in our deck. Please adjust the rules and ban cards so we can do that.
Technically they're arguing against this, but sure. The best way to fight fire is with multiple nuclear blasts, at least in my opinion.
because everyone in the format deserves a fair shake at a game on an even playing field
Yes, but not everyone takes the opportunity.
When you reach the point at which your enjoyment is mutually exclusive to another players, you, as a player, are a problem for the format.
It's quite hard to convince someone who signed up for an EDH tournament with reasonably high stakes that they can't play their best deck that they practiced with and prepared for because the other players don't like it. Similarly, in a more casual setting, it wouldn't be terribly fun to roll up to a new cEDH pod and discover that you need to now go play solitaire or borrow a deck you aren't as experienced with or find less fun. I also don't want to see a stratification of "competitive EDH as the definition of the word, optimizing EDH", "cEDH," and "casual EDH", as some people won't want to fit neatly into one bucket or be forcibly told they need to play a different format.
Does the 'no holds barred' philosophy mutually exclude you from having that discussion with your fellow gamers?
Not in all cases, but for the group of people (including myself, to some degree) that believe cEDH should be EDH optimized within the rules of the format to the player's best ability, house-ruling additions or subtractions doesn't fit that and create inconsistencies. Certainly, people can certainly enjoy adding those rules, but that means the extremely literal-minded suddenly are told they aren't playing competitively.
Is there a level of peer pressure that holds you back from having rule 0 discussion?
I believe individual playgroups should be free to do what they want to make games more fun and support those endeavors, but I still don't believe that's "proper" competitive EDH. This is coming from the player who doesn't mind running amok with Bridgevine or Simic Nexus or whatever the current boogeyman of the format is until forcibly reined in, so once again, I have unusual opinions on format balance. If there are two camps clearly forming in this thread I'm part of the third.
Are the sort of people who play Flash Hulk/Sushi Hulk just jerks you'd prefer not to play?
Of course I'd certainly say no to that question: people shouldn't be demonized for playing the best deck in a competitive format, and any sort of "gentleman's agreement" to be sporting and do otherwise is doing something that, while potentially fun, is straying from the definition of the format.
Is there a sense of pride/ego/competition/some other emotion that stops you from declining a game against flash hulk?
Once again, I'd certainly never decline a game, and anyone who wishes to rule 0 their way out is free to be happy in their own way.
so yeah, we're down for cEDH but flash play is off limits
I'd say "So yeah, we're down for cEDH, and if you don't like Flash then either tune your deck against the present metagame while waiting for new cards to shift the format around, go down to a lower power level where no sane person should be playing Flash Hulk, or go down to a lower power level where the scary monster can't touch you."
I'm fairly naive to that aspect of EDH, so feel free to enlighten.
Within a few hours another cEDH player is going to tell you to take my words with a grain of salt, but hopefully throughout this thread I've clarified at least my personal perspective.

toctheyounger

Within a few hours another cEDH player is going to tell you to take my words with a grain of salt, but hopefully throughout this thread I've clarified at least my personal perspective.
Thanks for this. I saw it coming, but there's clearly a lot of grey area in the situation. But hey, the more we know the better equipped we are to discuss it.
Then again, I don't think anyone ranging from the "what do you mean, EDH isn't a competitive format? Our LGS runs pods every week and everyone has a blast!" to "what do you mean, people play EDH competitively? Our LGS runs pods every week and everyone has a blast!" would be willing to accept the burden of either a format dominated by degenerate anarchy or having to meticulously rule 0 to fit everyone's individual preferences.
It's never going to be perfect, but I genuinely think the vast majority of games are going to fit well within these two extremes. Mostly, people can look after themselves and if you can handle a game as complex as magic you ought to have the communication skills to eke out a rule 0 per game you sit down to.
It's quite hard to convince someone who signed up for an EDH tournament with reasonably high stakes that they can't play their best deck that they practiced with and prepared for because the other players don't like it. Similarly, in a more casual setting, it wouldn't be terribly fun to roll up to a new cEDH pod and discover that you need to now go play solitaire or borrow a deck you aren't as experienced with or find less fun. I also don't want to see a stratification of "competitive EDH as the definition of the word, optimizing EDH", "cEDH," and "casual EDH", as some people won't want to fit neatly into one bucket or be forcibly told they need to play a different format.
Well, to be fair, this format was more or less designed as anti-tournament play. Of course, everyone wants to win, but when you've got skin in the game there's much less reason to be amiable about it and consider the rest of the table's feelings. As far as stratification goes, I dunno. I think in the context of non-tournament play it need not come to that, and it's totally up to the individuals as to where they draw the line. If it's 100% no holds barred, then you're probably stuck with flash. If there's room for rule 0, you're golden. There's not much else to it, because banning flash is like slapping a bandaid on a stab wound.
Not in all cases, but for the group of people (including myself, to some degree) that believe cEDH should be EDH optimized within the rules of the format to the player's best ability, house-ruling additions or subtractions doesn't fit that and create inconsistencies. Certainly, people can certainly enjoy adding those rules, but that means the extremely literal-minded suddenly are told they aren't playing competitively.
I think this was the answer I was after. Would I be right to assume that a rule of thumb just doesn't sit well with a group of folk that generally want to know precisely the limits of the rules?
I believe individual playgroups should be free to do what they want to make games more fun and support those endeavors, but I still don't believe that's "proper" competitive EDH. This is coming from the player who doesn't mind running amok with Bridgevine or Simic Nexus or whatever the current boogeyman of the format is until forcibly reined in, so once again, I have unusual opinions on format balance. If there are two camps clearly forming in this thread I'm part of the third.
How prevalent is this opinion of the propriety of cEDH?
where the scary monster can't touch you."
If I were the recipient of this comment I'd at least be a little offended. The rest is fine, but this probably isn't necessary. I get what you're saying though - if you don't want to game hard, don't play cEDH.

At any rate, I think these answers give me what I was pondering, so thanks. It seems like you guys, in general, are after hard and fast ruling about where flash hulks sits in terms of legality or not, because cEDH generally doesn't pander to grey areas, it's black or it's white, is that right? I mean, I can't see where that's going to easily happen. Ultimately playing in that way puts you in the boat of needing either a ban or status quo remains. This format is and always has been, predicated on the idea of social agreement of propriety, so ultimately, outside of tournament play, rule 0 should be enough, and if it isn't it sounds like flash hulk stays and the meta just works around it to the best of players' abilities. It doesn't sound like this would bother you overly, personally, though as you say I'm likely to get differing opinions in the coming hours/days.

Spleenface

Kelzam wrote:
4 years ago
It's astonishing how people can bemoan not being heard and/or being ignored when they're not getting their way.

"No one is evaluating Flash, just the philosophy!"

Could that be because, other than a very small, overly vocal minority that... Flash isn't a problem for everyone else? That there's nothing there to evaluate because it's a non-issue? Other than the sociopaths I've seen popping up in social media groups threatening to play Flash Hulk in casual pods to force a ban.
What a shock. The poster boy for unprompted hostility towards max power players responds to a point about unprompted hostility with more unprompted hostility.

I don't know if you accept the argument that defining something as being outside the philosophy of the banlist purely because high power players want it and not on its own merits shows an implicit hostility towards high power players.

But I do know that you have an explicit hostility towards those players, so it wouldn't matter to you either way. Since the substance of the disagreement doesn't actually matter to you, I'm not going to engage any further.

MrMystery314

But hey, the more we know the better equipped we are to discuss it.
This and a few of your other comments make me worried that I've left a significant lasting impression, which may be an issue when the people holding the present majority opinion in the community come in. That isn't necessarily an issue, but I'd hate to be tarred and feathered for appearing to be a Benedict Arnold or be assumed to speak for a massive and diverse community. Anyway, as I'm the one on the stage now, I may as well soapbox more and add some variety to the invectives hurled throughout this thread.
Mostly, people can look after themselves
Certainly. If the only options are to ban Flash or to keep it legal, I'm naturally a bit selfish and wouldn't particularly mind either, as from a competitive perspective that either keeps the present metagame in its beautiful anarchy or opens a brave new world of exciting possibilities. Wimping out and applying rule 0 shouldn't apply in a true competitive setting, although even from that testing what happens in a metagame without Flash is valuable to understand potential future scenarios.
There's not much else to it, because banning flash is like slapping a bandaid on a stab wound.
I personally believe this is a bit harsh of a metaphor, as Flash is somewhat unprecedented in a single card dominating the competitive EDH realm (one could make a case for something like Thrasios too, to a lesser degree). The slippery slope, at least from my perspective, is simply a part of any competitive game, and hopefully one that won't remain stagnant with no influx of new options.
Would I be right to assume that a rule of thumb just doesn't sit well with a group of folk that generally want to know precisely the limits of the rules?
I feel like that question is addressing a topic of contention slightly apart from the issue at hand, at least from my masochistic perspective. The limits of the rules are quite clear, and I would say the rules of the format and the ban list are all precise. Some people are understandably torn how much of an impact rule 0 should have on the format, and there is room for something a lot more moderate than "if you want to play competitively, don't hide behind house rules to enforce a subjective standard of what's fair or fun". There shouldn't be any question of what the limits of the rules are.
It seems like you guys, in general, are after hard and fast ruling about where flash hulks sits in terms of legality or not, because cEDH generally doesn't pander to grey areas, it's black or it's white, is that right?
I agree with the second half of this statement: no other competitive format should reasonably claim that the ban list should be added to on a group-by-group basis. As for the first, as previously stated, no further clarification is needed.
so ultimately, outside of tournament play, rule 0 should be enough,

Speaking personally, once again, I'd avoid any competitive group which house-banned Flash because I wouldn't prepare adequately for a tournament that way. If we're just playing casually, then sure that's fine, but "competitive without cards that are too good" is a different format. Certainly not one without merit, and one with interesting room for optimization, but that's not technically cEDH.

The key point here is that like the EDH community or the MTG community as a whole, the competitive realm (whether people call it cEDH or simply how Magic is meant to be played) is incredibly diverse in opinion. I don't doubt the majority of the community supports a ban on Flash, and I don't disagree with their arguments. I assume the percentage is small that takes EDH with the same brutal attitude as other formats where that attitude certainly isn't omnipresent. In the era of Hogaakvine, as much as people complained about the deck, many had no issues playing the best deck of the format, just as they had no issues switching to the next best thing after the ban. I'd hope that the competitive community as a whole is similar and not in the microcosm of opinion sometimes seen on other MTG subreddits where any deck that is #1 at any given time is deserving of a ban. It's a quite interesting situation where someone more extreme than the average cEDH player in that mindset (maybe more so than the average competitive MTG player, maybe not) seems to have more common ground with those who don't identify in that direction than the consensus of cEDH players posting in this thread and past similar ones. I'm most likely just an anomaly, but maybe that says something about the arguments being proposed or simply a fundamental incompatibility between the two spheres discounting a mindset that the more I think about, falls as a middle ground.

toctheyounger

Appreciate the clarification, at least as far as your stance on the scenario goes. Bare minimum I've at least learned a little about how a competitive EDH player approaches the game . I won't delve any further right now as I'm on a mobile, so wall of text responses are just a bit much for me to manage. I'll check back in on the discussion later.

Mr.Guizee
Guiz

Post by Mr.Guizee » 4 years ago

The key point here is that like the EDH community or the MTG community as a whole, the competitive realm (whether people call it cEDH or simply how Magic is meant to be played) is incredibly diverse in opinion. I don't doubt the majority of the community supports a ban on Flash, and I don't disagree with their arguments.

True, and I'm a cEDH player who doesn't agree with the Flash ban and didn't agree with Paradox Engine being banned. I actually do not agree with most of the banlist so I propose two things that, at least to me, seems more reasonable: 1) make its own banlist with competitive play in mind or 2) make your own banlist as Rule 0
Obviously, number 1 would "segregate" cEDH community, or only those who actually care about it, but I don't see it as a problem since you can choose which group you want to play. If a jerk just happens to drop in your casual EDH group and stomp all of you, it's not okay, just ignore him/her and move on. However, the second option looks far more interesting and manageable 'cause not all people want a new banlist or cares about that one we already have. In Mons's youtube channel (cEDHTV) he often plays with banned cards and as a result the gameplays become really interesting and fun (at least to me :P )
We, cEDH players, have to tools to make this variant of the format better and more interesting, we just have to agree upon it.

toctheyounger

Mr.Guizee wrote:
4 years ago
True, and I'm a cEDH player who doesn't agree with the Flash ban and didn't agree with Paradox Engine being banned. I actually do not agree with most of the banlist so I propose two things that, at least to me, seems more reasonable: 1) make its own banlist with competitive play in mind or 2) make your own banlist as Rule 0
Seems to me like splintering from EDH is a viable solution, and that's what you're suggesting here, with the other solution being rule 0'ing, which seems to be at least somewhat frowned upon at the upper levels of competitiveness. I mean I won't lie, I've thought that this is one pretty simple solution to the dilemma that cEDHers are in at present, with a pretty vocal part of the community being particularly unhappy with the situation, but ultimately it's also quite a heavy solution in that it's fairly final.

I dunno, this thread has clearly been a microcosm of different thoughts around cEDH and it's place in the community at large, so I'm not going to say that this is the only solution (I also don't want any cEDH gamers to think this is what I want either, we're all in the same format), but I think because there's gray area there the cEDH folk really would need to be prepared to discuss the issue and potentially meet halfway on it if splintering off is a step too far to consider.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”