Unique Partner pairs

User avatar
Cyberium
Posts: 351
Joined: 10 months ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Post by Cyberium » 2 months ago

Soliciting ideas here: What are some of the more interesting Partner pairs (and their respective decks) you can think of?

User avatar
MeowZeDung
Posts: 554
Joined: 7 months ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Post by MeowZeDung » 2 months ago

Shameless plug: I think my Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder + Kraum, Ludevic's Opus deck is interesting. The link is in my signature, and it's probably not what you'd expect based just off of reading the two commanders :cool:

I've always wanted to see Akiri, Line-Slinger built well. I think she could be really good, though "good" does not necessarily mean "interesting", so I guess it depends who she pairs with.

I feel like Reyhan, Last of the Abzan + Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker are worth taking a look at.

User avatar
pokken
Posts: 1799
Joined: 10 months ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him
Has thanked: 632 times
Been thanked: 440 times

Titles & Recognition

Post by pokken » 2 months ago

I really enjoyed tymna the weaver and ludevic, necro-alchemist. Don't think I have ever seen anyone play that pair but me. I had them in a really fun 4c affinity deck (seen here: https://deckbox.org/sets/2471549)

User avatar
TheAmericanSpirit
Human Smokestack
Posts: 95
Joined: 10 months ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 months ago

I've played Tymna/Akiri and Ludevic/Akiri in the past and currently run Akiri/Thrasios. Akiri is one hell of a threat (very commonly a 12/3 with a half dozen keywords), but you need a critical mass of artifacts to really get any mileage out of her. She also does nothing but battle, so her partner really needs to bring the card advantage.

IF testing fails for Thras & Ak, my next plan is to build a Thrasios/Sidar Kondo deck based on mana dorks and rocks called "Small Ball" a la the Houston Rockets.

onering
Posts: 306
Joined: 10 months ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Has thanked: 135 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Post by onering » 2 months ago

I run an Akiri/Thrasios tribal mana rocks deck and its pretty fast. She plays like Voltron that doesn't actually need Voltron cards, just artifacts, so you can load up 30 mana rocks into the deck letting you build up your mana base and Akiri's power simultaneously. Thrasios acts as a mana dump that lets you grab even more rocks to power up Akiri and dump even more mana into Thrasios, all while digging for the other action cards in the deck. It runs MLD to lock in wins, because all those rocks mean you don't really care all that much about losing your lands.

User avatar
Cyberium
Posts: 351
Joined: 10 months ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Post by Cyberium » 2 months ago

There's an Akiri/Thrasios deck on StarCityGames last year: http://old.starcitygames.com/decks/disp ... eck/133998

It focuses on spellsing and commander related cards, such as using cost reduction and sac outlet to abuse Myth Unbound, build up commander cast count so each of the Storm card as well as Commander's Insignia to take full advantage of Akiri/Thrasios's cheap cc. I modified it into my version with a horde of small creatures and cheaper spells for Bygone Bishop/Ongoing Investigation/Trail of Evidence.

AvatarofHope
Posts: 1
Joined: 3 months ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by AvatarofHope » 2 months ago

I run a Birds & Eggs deck with Ishai and Silas Renn that I enjoy, you can check it out here: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/esper-bird-teamup/

It's pretty grindy at the moment. I choose not to run combos but it's got enough moving parts that it wouldn't be hard to add some instead of sillier birds if that's more your style.

NZB2323
Posts: 100
Joined: 9 months ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Post by NZB2323 » 2 months ago

I run a cleric tribal deck with Tymna the weaver and Ravos, soultender. I've never seen anyone else run it. It has no infinite combos or MLD, but it has great card advantage and tutoring but it always seems like it needs more mana, unless I get crazy value off of Smothering tithe, or if turn 1 I can go sol ring into arcane signet.

User avatar
Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Posts: 911
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 183 times
Contact:

Titles & Recognition

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 2 months ago

Tymna and Sidar was my choice, no competition.

Sidar grants evasion, which Tymna turns into card advantage. By using small casting cost creatures with power 2, you can consistently lay down multiple creatures per turn, creating a real engine. GWB Hate Bears fills out a good chunk of the creatures, since they fit into it perfectly. Kataki, War's Wage, Kambal, Consul of Allocation, Leonin Arbiter, etc.

There's some really great support cards for this engine too. Meekstone and Dusk // Dawn styled cards can offer board control that doesn't hit you. Bower Passage with Sidar makes your creatures completely unblockable, outside of reach. Overwhelming Instinct and Lifecrafter's Bestiary are card drawing all-stars here. Add in any GWB control elements you want, creatures with power 1-2 that offer more control or removal, etc etc.
Expand Signature
  « Ex cineribus nos renatus. »  

User avatar
Dragoon
Posts: 68
Joined: 3 months ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Post by Dragoon » 2 months ago

I've played a Boros equipment deck with Akiri, Line-Slinger and Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder. It was pretty fun. :p

I also played an aggressive lifegain deck with Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper and Tymna the Weaver. There was no way to gain life other than by attacking or blocking. No pillowfort or anything of the sort. Just a deck that was looking to beat down your opponents and refill your hand with the black draw spells and your increased life total.
onering wrote:
2 months ago
I run an Akiri/Thrasios tribal mana rocks deck and its pretty fast. She plays like Voltron that doesn't actually need Voltron cards, just artifacts, so you can load up 30 mana rocks into the deck letting you build up your mana base and Akiri's power simultaneously. Thrasios acts as a mana dump that lets you grab even more rocks to power up Akiri and dump even more mana into Thrasios, all while digging for the other action cards in the deck. It runs MLD to lock in wins, because all those rocks mean you don't really care all that much about losing your lands.
That looks really fun! I might give that idea a try sometime!

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 1217
Joined: 10 months ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Has thanked: 223 times
Been thanked: 167 times

Titles & Recognition

Post by toctheyounger » 2 months ago

It's weird, I hear a lot from others about how partners were busted AF, and to me it seems more like they spread across enough colours to put together some mad combo and that's about it. Except for Thrasios, Triton Hero, because colorless mana sinks in the command zone are pretty nuts. I actually really like the idea and would like to see it return - with careful design of said commanders of course. I guess it's a case of this format being as broken as you make it; if you allow yourself to combo no one is stopping you, but you don't have anyone else to blame. Anyway, derail over.

My favourite combination of late has been Vial Smasher the Fierce and Kraum, Ludevic's Opus. They kind of both give you a good engine at different parts of the game, and I've been using them at the helm of a mid-range superfriends/historic build that's been pretty fun. Vial gives you booms for casting high cost spells (which walkers tend to be), and Kraum benefits you anytime someone tries to build as well. They represent the Grixis shard really well to me; explosive, fun, relentless and just slightly zany.
Expand Signature
PrimersNon-PrimersMalazan Decks of the Fallen
W BrunaUB DralnuUB High House Shadow
G NissaGB Glissarugb Raest
WUB VarinaB YawgmothWUBRG T'iam
_RGB Korvold_
_UBR Vial/Kraum_

Dunharrow
Posts: 294
Joined: 10 months ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Montreal
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Post by Dunharrow » 2 months ago

I play Reyhan and Ishtai, and Ishai is just there for colors basically. Reyhan is a beastly combo card. All those people who play Ghave should switch. Reyhan can go infinite with ease, but also goes huge without the need to go infinite. Even something like T1 or T2 sac outlet, T3 Reyhan, T4 Master Biomancer, Turn 5 Reef Wurm will spiral the game out of control. I frequently have turns where I give out hundreds of +1/+1 counters.
Ishai is basically a card I can sac if I need to sac a creature. If there was a Jeskai partner I would swap it for Ishai. Red would give access to some good cards!

And you need to try Reyhan with a doubling season. Nuts. Let's say you sac a Knight of Autumn with 2 counters on it. DS puts 4 counters on something else. Sac that. Now you have 8 counters to put somewhere. Cards that make a lot of tokens end the game with Reyhan out.


That's what's funny about the partners. You tend to build around one of them and use the second for additional colors only.

onering
Posts: 306
Joined: 10 months ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Has thanked: 135 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Post by onering » 2 months ago

I played against a Reyhan and Tana deck once that was really cool. It was sacrifice centric and focused on sacrificing Reyhan to power up Tana so she could create more tokens, which where then sacrificed. It was really synergistic and out valued the table.

I have a Ravos and Tana deck focused on tokens and anthems. It's pretty fun building up a downright frightening board, and it does pretty well at recovering from wipes due to Tana being an army in a can and Ravos getting key creatures back from the yard, but it's also really fair, at the end of the day it wins by turning dudes sideways, with purphoros as support.

tempoEDH
Posts: 92
Joined: 8 months ago
Pronoun: he / him
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Post by tempoEDH » 2 months ago

This is actually my current deckbuilding project and MAN is it fun. Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa and Silas Renn, Seeker Adept. This idea originally started as me deciding whether I wanted to build Sidar/Ravos or Sidar/Tymna, the argument being repetitive value on an anthem effect, or card advantage in the command zone. I wanted the deck to be a very low mana curve, but still running more than the normal amount of ramp sources, acting kind of like elfball, but with just..... creatures. Creatureball, if you will. I wanted it to rely on pumping out creatures and then various combat damage effects, drawing at least 3 cards off of tymna every turn, etc. This all changed when I realized how much more efficient this strategy would be if I could just run cards like Coastal Piracy, Edric, Spymaster of Trest and Bident of Thassa. But to do this, I needed blue. I knew I still wanted to be running black, so the only other partner that fit my colors was Silas. It felt a little awkward at first, until I realized that I could be running an eggs like deck. So now my deck had a loose framework- creatureball/eggs. It was awkward to balance, but.... it works. The curve peaks at 4, except for 1 Craterhoof Behemoth, and yet still runs 6 signets, 6 talismans, and 17 mana dorks, along with Sol Ring and Cryptolith Rite. The deck should not work at all and yet.... lots of creatures, lots of mana, lots of unblockable effects combined with things like Trygon Predator, Dimir Cutpurse, and Throat Slitter to control the board, repetitive value from recurring either things like Executioner's Capsule for control or just Terrarion for more cards turn after turn with Silas, until a craterhoof or Triumph of the Hordes can be dropped. Probably the weirdest EDH deck I've ever built, but DAMN is it fun.
Expand Signature
Current Decks:
Alesha, Who Smiles at Death EDH
Karlov of the Ghost Council EDH
Sidisi, Brood Tyrant EDH
Edgar Markov EDH
Emmara, Soul of the Accord EDH
Yarok, the Desecrated EDH
Grenzo, Dungeon Warden EDH
Cavalcade Standard
Current Projects:
Marisi, Breaker of the Coil EDH
Kalamax, the Stormsire NO INFINITE EDH
Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa/Silas Renn, Seeker Adept EDH

User avatar
hyalopterouslemur
Posts: 885
Joined: 10 months ago
Pronoun: he / him
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 months ago

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
2 months ago
Tymna and Sidar was my choice, no competition.

Sidar grants evasion, which Tymna turns into card advantage. By using small casting cost creatures with power 2, you can consistently lay down multiple creatures per turn, creating a real engine. GWB Hate Bears fills out a good chunk of the creatures, since they fit into it perfectly. Kataki, War's Wage, Kambal, Consul of Allocation, Leonin Arbiter, etc.

There's some really great support cards for this engine too. Meekstone and Dusk // Dawn styled cards can offer board control that doesn't hit you. Bower Passage with Sidar makes your creatures completely unblockable, outside of reach. Overwhelming Instinct and Lifecrafter's Bestiary are card drawing all-stars here. Add in any GWB control elements you want, creatures with power 1-2 that offer more control or removal, etc etc.
I've used Sidar with Silas Renn for similar. The deck relies heavily on artifacts and on saboteurs. Bident of Thassa is an all-star.
Expand Signature
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

User avatar
Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Posts: 911
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 183 times
Contact:

Titles & Recognition

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 2 months ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
2 months ago
I've used Sidar with Silas Renn for similar. The deck relies heavily on artifacts and on saboteurs. Bident of Thassa is an all-star.
Ohhhhhh :o :o
What I wouldn't give to have a Bident-styled card in my GWB take.
I'm not much of a fan of blue usually, but I can definitely feel the appeal here.
Expand Signature
  « Ex cineribus nos renatus. »  

User avatar
pokken
Posts: 1799
Joined: 10 months ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him
Has thanked: 632 times
Been thanked: 440 times

Titles & Recognition

Post by pokken » 2 months ago

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
2 months ago
hyalopterouslemur wrote:
2 months ago
I've used Sidar with Silas Renn for similar. The deck relies heavily on artifacts and on saboteurs. Bident of Thassa is an all-star.
Ohhhhhh :o :o
What I wouldn't give to have a Bident-styled card in my GWB take.
I'm not much of a fan of blue usually, but I can definitely feel the appeal here.
ohran frostfang yo :)

User avatar
Myllior
Posts: 126
Joined: 10 months ago
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Post by Myllior » 2 months ago

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
2 months ago
Ohhhhhh :o :o
What I wouldn't give to have a Bident-styled card in my GWB take.
I'm not much of a fan of blue usually, but I can definitely feel the appeal here.
There's Ohran Frostfang. It even has 2 power to interact positively with Meekstone and all that.

E: Dammit pokken you ninja :P
Expand Signature
gwu Derevi Hatebears | u Kefnet Voltron | gwu Roon Clones | wubrg Sisay Honden | ubr Kess Storm

User avatar
pokken
Posts: 1799
Joined: 10 months ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him
Has thanked: 632 times
Been thanked: 440 times

Titles & Recognition

Post by pokken » 2 months ago

I may or may not have been brewing the heck out of such a deck lately just for an excuse to play prophetic flamespeaker and dreadhorde arcanist.

I am leaning toward Sidar + Ludevic, but could do Ludevic+Ikra

Really excited about trying the ramp strategy of just sword of feast and famine effects (bear umbranature's will dowsing dagger derevi, empyrial tactician so kinda leaning Sans-Black.

User avatar
Cyberium
Posts: 351
Joined: 10 months ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Post by Cyberium » 2 months ago

tempoEDH wrote:
2 months ago
This is actually my current deckbuilding project and MAN is it fun. Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa and Silas Renn, Seeker Adept. This idea originally started as me deciding whether I wanted to build Sidar/Ravos or Sidar/Tymna, the argument being repetitive value on an anthem effect, or card advantage in the command zone. I wanted the deck to be a very low mana curve, but still running more than the normal amount of ramp sources, acting kind of like elfball, but with just..... creatures. Creatureball, if you will. I wanted it to rely on pumping out creatures and then various combat damage effects, drawing at least 3 cards off of tymna every turn, etc. This all changed when I realized how much more efficient this strategy would be if I could just run cards like Coastal Piracy, Edric, Spymaster of Trest and Bident of Thassa. But to do this, I needed blue. I knew I still wanted to be running black, so the only other partner that fit my colors was Silas. It felt a little awkward at first, until I realized that I could be running an eggs like deck. So now my deck had a loose framework- creatureball/eggs. It was awkward to balance, but.... it works. The curve peaks at 4, except for 1 Craterhoof Behemoth, and yet still runs 6 signets, 6 talismans, and 17 mana dorks, along with Sol Ring and Cryptolith Rite. The deck should not work at all and yet.... lots of creatures, lots of mana, lots of unblockable effects combined with things like Trygon Predator, Dimir Cutpurse, and Throat Slitter to control the board, repetitive value from recurring either things like Executioner's Capsule for control or just Terrarion for more cards turn after turn with Silas, until a craterhoof or Triumph of the Hordes can be dropped. Probably the weirdest EDH deck I've ever built, but DAMN is it fun.
Curiously enough, I started a thread in the past using Konda/Silas for a ninja deck, dubbing it "Ra's al Ghul and Assassin's League". The deck is probably even more amusing now given Modern Horizon's new Ninja cards.

tempoEDH
Posts: 92
Joined: 8 months ago
Pronoun: he / him
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Post by tempoEDH » 2 months ago

Cyberium wrote:
2 months ago
tempoEDH wrote:
2 months ago
This is actually my current deckbuilding project and MAN is it fun. Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa and Silas Renn, Seeker Adept. This idea originally started as me deciding whether I wanted to build Sidar/Ravos or Sidar/Tymna, the argument being repetitive value on an anthem effect, or card advantage in the command zone. I wanted the deck to be a very low mana curve, but still running more than the normal amount of ramp sources, acting kind of like elfball, but with just..... creatures. Creatureball, if you will. I wanted it to rely on pumping out creatures and then various combat damage effects, drawing at least 3 cards off of tymna every turn, etc. This all changed when I realized how much more efficient this strategy would be if I could just run cards like Coastal Piracy, Edric, Spymaster of Trest and Bident of Thassa. But to do this, I needed blue. I knew I still wanted to be running black, so the only other partner that fit my colors was Silas. It felt a little awkward at first, until I realized that I could be running an eggs like deck. So now my deck had a loose framework- creatureball/eggs. It was awkward to balance, but.... it works. The curve peaks at 4, except for 1 Craterhoof Behemoth, and yet still runs 6 signets, 6 talismans, and 17 mana dorks, along with Sol Ring and Cryptolith Rite. The deck should not work at all and yet.... lots of creatures, lots of mana, lots of unblockable effects combined with things like Trygon Predator, Dimir Cutpurse, and Throat Slitter to control the board, repetitive value from recurring either things like Executioner's Capsule for control or just Terrarion for more cards turn after turn with Silas, until a craterhoof or Triumph of the Hordes can be dropped. Probably the weirdest EDH deck I've ever built, but DAMN is it fun.
Curiously enough, I started a thread in the past using Konda/Silas for a ninja deck, dubbing it "Ra's al Ghul and Assassin's League". The deck is probably even more amusing now given Modern Horizon's new Ninja cards.
Any chance you could link that in? :P
Expand Signature
Current Decks:
Alesha, Who Smiles at Death EDH
Karlov of the Ghost Council EDH
Sidisi, Brood Tyrant EDH
Edgar Markov EDH
Emmara, Soul of the Accord EDH
Yarok, the Desecrated EDH
Grenzo, Dungeon Warden EDH
Cavalcade Standard
Current Projects:
Marisi, Breaker of the Coil EDH
Kalamax, the Stormsire NO INFINITE EDH
Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa/Silas Renn, Seeker Adept EDH

User avatar
Cyberium
Posts: 351
Joined: 10 months ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Post by Cyberium » 2 months ago

tempoEDH wrote:
2 months ago

Any chance you could link that in? :P
It's an old thread that has yet to be updated in a while: https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the ... injas-lets

It also had a theme of morph/manifest for flavor.

User avatar
MeowZeDung
Posts: 554
Joined: 7 months ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Post by MeowZeDung » 2 months ago

pokken wrote:
2 months ago
I may or may not have been brewing the heck out of such a deck lately just for an excuse to play prophetic flamespeaker and dreadhorde arcanist.
Ermagersh I love Prophetic Flamespeaker so much! That is a card I've always wanted to make work in a deck but haven't quite gotten there yet. Maybe an extra combats deck? It's certainly tasty with a Bident of Thassa type effect.

User avatar
pokken
Posts: 1799
Joined: 10 months ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him
Has thanked: 632 times
Been thanked: 440 times

Titles & Recognition

Post by pokken » 2 months ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
2 months ago
pokken wrote:
2 months ago
I may or may not have been brewing the heck out of such a deck lately just for an excuse to play prophetic flamespeaker and dreadhorde arcanist.
Ermagersh I love Prophetic Flamespeaker so much! That is a card I've always wanted to make work in a deck but haven't quite gotten there yet. Maybe an extra combats deck? It's certainly tasty with a Bident of Thassa type effect.
Yeah I was thinking of jamming the aggravated assault / waves of reckoning combat steps interactions, with off beat ways to enable the mana for them like reconaissance + earthcraft, as well as nature's will, feast and famine, bear umbra, etc.

Feels like it might just be a bad najeela deck on one hand, but ludevic is always so fun for me. Could play a goad sub theme with grenzo and a few other sources to really get people swinging :P

User avatar
Segrus
Posts: 161
Joined: 4 months ago
Pronoun: he / him
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Post by Segrus » 2 months ago

NZB2323 wrote:
2 months ago
I run a cleric tribal deck with Tymna the weaver and Ravos, soultender. I've never seen anyone else run it. It has no infinite combos or MLD, but it has great card advantage and tutoring but it always seems like it needs more mana, unless I get crazy value off of Smothering tithe, or if turn 1 I can go sol ring into arcane signet.
I've been running a Ravos + Tymna deck that's meant to be kinda legendary tribal with a Reanimator slant. It's been pretty fun to take advantage of the legends who interact with the graveyard in Orzhov, since there's a decent amount of them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”