Seeking advice: the right amount of decks?

kenbaumann
on and off since '94
Pronoun: he / him

Post by kenbaumann » 4 years ago

Hello!

A tl;dr version is in bold below.

To add some context to my request for advice, here's a brief story about my time with Magic. My older brother taught me how to play in 1994. I was 6 and he was 14. I played casually with him and with folks at a local game shop until Prophecy (in June 2000), then stopped. In 2017, a coworker introduced me to Commander and I fell back in love with the game. Within a month I'd built my first EDH deck (Kozilek, because I thought then that it would be "easy to build" because of the color restriction). A few months later, I had three decks. I started using a staples system including Revised duals, pricey rocks, and generally good cards like Rhystic Study, tutors, etc. I became obsessed with brewing. Within 16 months of playing my first game of EDH, I took on the 32 deck challenge—but stalled out at 24 decks. I decided to stop building, primarily because I realized I don't really enjoy certain archetypes (combat/aggro and stax, mostly), though I also wanted to buy fewer Magic cards and thus be more deliberate about the cards I'm actually interested in owning and playing.

Since then I've cut down to 13 decks, disassembling and selling the others. (Decklists in my signature.) I use a safe, compact, and custom storage system that perfectly fits this number of decks. I know only a handful of my decks inside and out even though I've built many from scratch, mostly because my memory for decklists and lines of play is so-so. My decks range widely in power level—from a jank/theme-only deck to two cEDH decks—though most are explosive. Only a few truly durdle.

My regular playgroup is big, active, and enfranchised. One player has 52 decks, and most of our other players have over 5–20. So there's not much of a "meta" to which my decks could be tuned; players swap between their numerous decks each game, and those changes are mostly based on Rule 0 conversations. Mostly I try to match power level (which trends nearer to competitive than to battlecruiser), play my decks to the best of my ability, and get better at playing my friends/opponents.

Lately, though, I've felt a desire to cut down to around 5 decks. Why? Because I still feel that I haven't gotten very good at piloting all of my decks—I'm very confident at the helm of maybe 2 of them (including my dearly beloved and hopefully soon-to-be-Primer-status Kruphix deck, link in my signature). And my desire to cut down is related to my desire to be a confident and creative pilot. And because of my so-so memory, my hunch is that I wouldn't be able to consistently and creatively pilot more than a 5 lists.

But here's my worry: I cut down to around 5 decks. I play them very often. Within a few months, I get bored. And then I slip back into obsessive brewing.

So, two sets of questions that I'd love y'all to answer:
  • 1. How many decks do you regularly play? If you've similarly expanded then shrunk your collection, do you have any regrets? And how confident do you feel piloting your decks?
  • 2. Given the context above, what would you recommend I do?
Thank you so much in advance for your attention and thoughtfulness.

Tags:

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 4 years ago

kenbaumann wrote:
4 years ago
But here's my worry: I cut down to around 5 decks. I play them very often. Within a few months, I get bored. And then I slip back into obsessive brewing.

• 1. How many decks do you regularly play? If you've similarly expanded then shrunk your collection, do you have any regrets? And how confident do you feel piloting your decks?
Thank you so much in advance for your attention and thoughtfulness.
I maxed out at around 16 decks and slowly cut back to around 5 when my first playgroup died. I found a new playgroup and built back up to 9 commander decks. I have 3 decks that I still own and play from when I first started playing EDH in 2012. Chromium equipment/artifact synergies, Damia Sage of stone non-infinite elf-storm, and Progenitus dredge. I'm more of a niche case though, very few people seem to stay as content with their decks for as I do. I also built a The Ur-Dragon changeling tribal that I absolutely adore. I probably won't ever disassemble these decks even I stop playing magic. They're all full of nostalgia and cards that I enjoy just looking at and reading.

I've been playing commander since it was created as a format and my decks tend to be extremely synergy-based rube goldberg machines so as a result I'm fairly confident in my ability pilot even a deck that I borrow from someone else knowing nothing about it before the game but who the commander is. I find doing that to be fairly entertaining actually. I once forgot my cards, built a lu xun, scholar general deck from my friends' commons/uncommons draft chafe he'd just opened from a couple of boxes while waiting for the rest of my friends to arrive and then immediately won with it. I don't personally need to factor in playtesting nearly as much anymore, so I don't know how to best advise you in that area.

Since joining the EDH group in the past year I built Lazav, the Multifarious commander damage, Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer Mirror Gallery dreams of grandeur, Golos, Tireless Pilgrim Chronatog abuse, Bruna, Light of Alabaster Voltron, Gishath, Sun's Avatar Dinosaur stompy, and The First Sliver Slivers. Of these decks I haven't enjoyed and as a result I disassembled half of them again (Bruna, Slivers, and Golos). I'll probably end up disassembling Brudiclad soon too. No regrets the decks there weren't particularly interesting. So at the end of the day I have 7 decks I'm very happy to play with and 1 in progress deck I'm brewing on. This keeps me very entertained to play commander for a few hours once every other week or so.

My advice is that shaving down to 5 of your favorite decks is fine. Since you like brewing so much, I'd recommend having a 2-3 flavor of the month/week decks. Decks that all you do is brew them into existence, play with them a few times to shake things up and then disassemble them. This is much easier to do if you have a very large collection already. You could also just slowly generate a "commander cube" of sorts, a pile of 1000 cards or so that you can just build decks from on the fly. Kinda depends on your budget or whatnot. I basically have a pile of most commander staples that I can just poke through to brew with, but I've been collecting for over a decade and collected a bunch of jank rares before commander spiked their prices into non-jank.
Last edited by materpillar 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I find 6 or 7 is about all I can maintain and also provides enough variety for me mostly.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

Story time!

I played magic pretty casually in high school and quit when I went to college. The rising popularity of commander in 2009 was a major factor in bringing me back into the game.

I built a lot of full-proxy decks in college, overwhelmed by how many exciting options there were to build around. I gradually bought into a few decks I particularly liked - I remember merieke, zirilan, and phelddagrif were among them.

When I got a job and started playing at LGSs instead of with college friends who were cool with proxies, I figured I'd try to get a set of decks that covered the power and archetype bases, so I'd always have an appropriate deck for the occasion.

Quickly what I realised is that I'd never be satisfied this way. Whenever a cool new commander came out, or I came up with an interesting idea for an old one, it didn't matter that the archetype was similar to something I already had. I wanted to build it, and build it NOW. And I don't like using subpar replacements either - if I'm doing something bold, I want to know whether it can work, and how well it works, rather than play a crappy version and try to guess how much better it might be without substitutions.

I still liked my old decks, but I'm not a standard player. I don't derive much satisfaction from playing the same deck over and over, slowly fine-tuning the list and my play. I'm a limited player. I like building decks as much as I like playing them. I like the novel, and I like constantly challenging myself to push the boundaries. No fixed set of decks could accomplish that, whether 5 or 500.

I think my play is pretty strong all-around (been playing for almost 20 years, and had decent success in high-level tournaments), but if I'm going to try to really perfect it, it's for a limited season, with real money on the line, not commander. I think you learn the most by trying new things and realising your mistakes afterward, rather than repeating the same stuff until you don't make mistakes. The latter is necessary for top-level tournaments, but for commander, I want the rush, not the grind.

Anyway, so my system is: I have a couple perma-decks, which I'll update occasionally but mostly stay the same. My very favourites from hundreds of decks I've built.

The rest of my cards are in organised boxes, one of everything I've ever wanted or might ever want, sleeved and ready to be assembled into whatever my newest idea is. It can take anywhere from a few hours to 20 hours to build, depending on the complexity and number of colours. I usually play each deck anywhere from 2-10 times, then it gets disassembled so I can try something new. That way I only need one of all my expensive cards, and the deck lists can be as perfect as I want, no budget manabases. Plus I find it easier to flip through cards, separate them into piles, and build that way rather than look at search results and mess with spreadsheets or text files. And it also makes it easier to find cards I might have otherwise forgotten about if I was doing a targeted search for specific effects.

Sometimes I have multiple new decks at once. It can be a small hassle moving cards around, but I prefer to keep the collection singleton. When I borrow cards, I snap a pic on my phone for easy recall.

If I particularly like a deck, I might consider building it separately it as a perma-deck, by acquiring duplicates of the necessary cards. So far, I have 3: zirilan, phelddagrif, and kaervek. When I don't have anything new, or my new deck proves to be unfun or inappropriate, or if I'm just in the mood, I'll pull one of those out.

That's been working well for me for the past 6 years or so. The upkeep of collecting new cards can be a hassle, but it's the only way that really lets me play the game I want to play it.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

WolfWhoWanders

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 4 years ago

I find myself in a similar situation to @kenbaumann , played a bunch back in the day... Even started building edh decks back in like 2004. No commander, just a handful of 100 card Singleton decks that only a few people ever wanted to play with me. I stopped playing when all but these decks were stolen. In 2016 a group of work friends were playing cards after work and I was like "hey, I know that game. Can I join?" They showed me commander and I was hooked again. My first deck was ulamog for similar reasons to you lol, he didn't last long. I had a bad case of brewing frenzy, which I was fortunately able to fuel by selling some of my duals into singles of each. This was about when underground sea had spiked to like 1000 dollars so I did pretty well and put it and several thousands of my own dollars into a set of Singleton commander cards that are all sleeved in blue matte dragon shields. When I imagine what @DirkGently is saying, I feel like I might be close to what he's talking about. I'm not as committed to the Singleton nature as he is, I have multiples of cards I thought I'd use more than once. I also have 15 decks built not 3. As my group slows down I feel the urge to condense them down into maybe 5 beloved decks that are designed to represent the range of appropriate power levels and playstyles I enjoy. I don't have much interest in cedh or piles of unplayable chaff so those ends of the spectrum will be neglected. Then use the rest of my collection much like Dirk does and build as I please on whatever whim I'm feeling. I may end up with a few decent sized trade binders for a minute, as I'll probably go down to a more singleton collection as well. Maybe I'll try to trade them all in and see if it makes a Bazaar of Baghdad or Tabernacle... Or something else cool I don't want to spend for. It was nice reading your guys stories and timely as I'm going through the same thing it seems. This past week I've had my pile of 15 commanders on my desk trying to chop them down to 5... It hasn't been easy lol. Maybe I'll have to make my own thread asking for help there
Responds well to spells and abilities

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 4 years ago

I don't build specific decks so much as assemble strategic skeletons for common archetypes. Doing so allows me to flex towards new designs in established mechanical spaces during releases while still maintaining 4 distinct decks at all times. They reincarnate constantly under different leadership, but their core elements always withstand transition. This keeps a lot of my EDHADHD at bay too.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

kenbaumann wrote:
4 years ago
My wife and I currently have something like 77 decks right now. All different colors and strategies and such. Currently I've been taking 6 decks at a time to an LGS and try not to play the same one twice. Once I play a deck, I swap it out with a different one. They all are slowly getting played, and I am trying to evaluate if there are any of them I wouldn't mind taking apart or improving. So far nothing has gotten dismantled.

For your situation, I'd recommend going for what @TheAmericanSpirit is saying--create skeletons of archetypes you enjoy and keep rebuilding that archetype in the same colors under different commanders. It'll require fewer cards overall and still allows you to scratch that deckbuilding itch. I know somebody in the LGS I've been going to who is doing this, and he seems to enjoy having decks this way.

kenbaumann
on and off since '94

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
4 years ago
I don't build specific decks so much as assemble strategic skeletons for common archetypes. Doing so allows me to flex towards new designs in established mechanical spaces during releases while still maintaining 4 distinct decks at all times. They reincarnate constantly under different leadership, but their core elements always withstand transition. This keeps a lot of my EDHADHD at bay too.
That method sounds interesting. What are your favored archetypes? Mind typing out or linking these skeletons? And do you have current decklists for your 4 distinct decks?
WolfWhoWanders wrote:
4 years ago
This past week I've had my pile of 15 commanders on my desk trying to chop them down to 5...
The struggle is real! My problem is that I relentlessly sell cards I'm not using to Card Kingdom, so I don't really have much of a collection outside my current 13 decks. I prefer this so that the cards take up less real estate in my closet.

But I suppose I could maintain a kind of @DirkGently and @materpillar method by using my staples system and having 1–2 decks (with maybe a $200 budget limit for Card Kingdom orders) that I'm constantly building and tearing down to satisfy that EDHADHD.

@pokken That's good to hear!

@Segrus 10-4.

Thanks for chiming in so far, folks!

Mimicvat

Post by Mimicvat » 4 years ago

Dunno how many decks I have now, a few more than whats in the sig.

I build decks with the explicit idea in mind that they are probably not permanent. Use proxies extensively and only recently have gotten to over a half a dozen "all legit" decks.

Been playing EDH since something like 2012. In that time I've made approx 62 decks, plus a couple that have been built twice. In that time the only really permanent deck I've had is my Big Red/Red Artifact deck based originally on the 2014 Daretti precon. But Mono-Green control and 4c Saboteurs have been around for a long time and are heading to permanent status too.

I go in waves, especially when we get a set with a bunch of cool options. Will bloat up to nearly 20 decks, then a few months later, cull them back down. The cycle has continued endlessly since Commander 2014 taught me the game could be fun, and I don't see it changing any time soon. This system works well if you are ok to proxy, there is a low cost (much lower than the buy-resale cycle) and relatively low time needed to assemble the cards. I do it even though I share access to a massive collection because its so easy.
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

kenbaumann
on and off since '94

@Mimicvat That makes sense. A few players in our regular playgroup are heavy proxy printers/users, and our group as a whole doesn't mind proxies at all. That might make sense for me, too…

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

kenbaumann wrote:
4 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
4 years ago
That method sounds interesting. What are your favored archetypes? Mind typing out or linking these skeletons? And do you have current decklists for your 4 distinct decks?

The four archetypes that I play consistently are currently artifacts, ramp/lands, reanimator, and creature-centric combo. The creature and artifact decks typically pass the combo pieces back and forth week-to-week while the other two are green-oriented value decks with pretty ironclad mechanical frameworks to work within.

For example, I currently play Selvala HotW (Formerly Yisan, who was preceded by Edric), Ludevic/Akiri (formerly Emry, who was preceded by Jhoira WC), Nissa (who was at one point Windgrace, Gitrog, Titania, and Maelstrom Wanderer) and Meren (who grew from the ashes of Korvold, Shirei, and Ghave).

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

After some deep thought, the answer is 42.

Mimicvat

I really like the archetype approach. Having built and rebuilt so many decks I see them naturally fall into repeating archetypes already.

An alternative approach would be to "cover your bases", by mapping out the archetypes of EDH (or just ones you like) and then building and maintaining the minimum number of decks needed to cover those bases. I map my decks on several charts based on both primary colour focus (either single or pair) and on a proactive/reactive and creature beats/noncreatures chart
SPOILER
Show
Hide

This map shows me what colour pairs or "archetypes" (as I'm putting them - combat vs noncombat, proactive vs reactive) are over or underrepresented. With 15 decks in the box I'm coming up for a cull, and this data can help with either which decks to disassemble or how to change them so they are being more different from each other.

IE:
- I have three decks focusing on UW. Ephara might get the cut, and I might rebalance the colours in one of the others so its less UW and maybe more BW to help cover that area.
- Tuvasa (bad hate enchantments) and my newest deck Sidisi (lantern control) are both heavily reactive, noncreature based decks. I might want to make Tuvasa a more proactive strategy and aggressively tutor hate cards for the table, so that I have reactive noncreature decks fitting across a wider spectrum.
- Derevri, Xenagos and Greven all occupy the same space. I should decide if these decks differentiate sufficiently from each other for all of them to exist, and if not, how to change them up or if one should be cut.

The end result of an analysis like this is that you'll have fewer decks, or more different decks, and that all of the styles of play that you enjoy are both covered and not overly redundant. It also helps give you guidelines of where you might want to look for your next general!
Last edited by Mimicvat 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

I like @TheAmericanSpirit's system of building around preferred archetypes with a skeleton of support for each.

I do something sort of similar by sticking to my favored wedge, although budget is a big driver of that too. Being able to move expensive staples and lands between decks has been a massive boon for my Commander hobby. I keep all my decks in lists and can quickly assemble any of them quickly since I keep them all in the same sleeves. The downside is I can't just take 2-3 decks somewhere for the evening; I have to assemble the one I really want to play, and 1-2 others as far as possible with the lists on hand so I can move the pieces around between games if I want to switch decks. It doesn't take long and is not an issue for me.

The fact of the matter is that I just don't have the bandwidth of time/money/energy/gameplay/supplies to build, play, and maintain every deck I want, so limiting myself along some axis is helpful in dealing with decision fatigue.

To answer your questions:

I currently have the eight decks in my signature plus Keranos, Daxos, Arjun, and Depala, plus Sidisi and Rishkar as solidified decks not in Jeskai colors for loaners and variety. So 14 total, and I'm part way through the building process on at least 2 more.

I did shrink my collection by selling off all green and black cards of value apart from those in my wife's mono black deck and I don't regret it. I think my enjoyment of the game has only gone up by restricting myself. I realize a lot of players couldn't bring themselves to do that, and it helps that I wasn't selling off ABU duals or anything of terribly high value.

I'd say that I'm quite confident piloting the decks, but once you reach a certain number of decks there's only so often you can play each of them, and less play means you'll miss lines of play that you would see with more familiarity. What this generally means is I play my favorites a lot, and some of the others are lucky to see play once every 2-3 months. It sucks, but that's reality for me. It means there are a few that will probably just become obsolete due to lack of updates and end up dismantled.

I think there's a certain point, depending on your individual situation, where enough is enough and another deck won't actually increase your fun with the game. For some people, that number might be 100 decks, for others 1. There's a ton of factors involved. I've probably passed it for myself, honestly. I will have to make the tough choice of what to retire, and probably adopt a policy of retiring a deck whenever I want to build a new one.

Edit: Dammit, the deepthought/42 answer made me chortle.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

DirkGently

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
4 years ago
This keeps a lot of my EDHADHD at bay too.
Pointless nitpick, but it's EDHD. It's a portmanteau.

If you're not going to use the portmanteau, it's a lot more readable (and makes more sense) with the acronyms separated (i.e. EDH ADHD). But that's a lot less fun.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

gilrad

Post by gilrad » 4 years ago

As someone who enjoys brewing and has very little actual time to play, my number is 2.

I don't play very often, maybe once a week for two or three games, and often I miss my game days for various reasons. So those two decks get a lot of play time before they wear thin.

I still enjoy brewing decks a lot, so while I only have a couple of active decks, my archidekt list is growing longer and longer with potential builds every month. When I am ready to give one a go, I tear down the most boring one and put it together.

Properly organizing your collection helps a lot - both digitally and physically. With apps like Delver Lens and the various collection web apps like tappedout and so on the digital side is super easy.

If you already have a large collection, another large benefit to downsizing to two active decks is you essentially jump on board the "never have to spend money again" gravy train. I haven't spent money on MTG in over three years; whenever a new set comes out, I take a number of valuable cards that I own more than two copies of, turn them into points in my local store, then spend those points on a laundry list of "good for EDH" cards, often in x3 or x4 quantities if the price is low enough. I of course lose a little bit of value with each transaction because store buylists aren't the best value, but it's nice and convenient, and as long as cards keep increasing in value over five years, it's basically sustainable.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
4 years ago
This keeps a lot of my EDHADHD at bay too.
Pointless nitpick, but it's EDHD. It's a portmanteau.

If you're not going to use the portmanteau, it's a lot more readable (and makes more sense) with the acronyms separated (i.e. EDH ADHD). But that's a lot less fun.
A pointless nitpick indeed. Maybe I enjoy typing out the four extra letters. Maybe I prefer the musicality of the seven syllable acronym, cleverness and language terms of French origin be damned.

Either way, I do not require a copy editor for my forum posts, thank you very much. Why not turn your pedantry towards the nameless millions on twitter and elsewhere struggling to grasp capitalization and punctuation instead? I'm sure they're all dying to know what a portmanteau is.

Edit: spelling

DirkGently

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
4 years ago
A pointless nitpick indeed. Maybe I enjoy typing out the four extra letters. Maybe I prefer the musicality of the seven syllable acronym, cleverness and language terms of French origin be damned.

Either way, I do not require a copy editor for my forum posts, thank you very much. Why not turn your pedantry towards the nameless millions on twitter and elsewhere struggling to grasp capitalization and punctuation instead? I'm sure they're all dying to know what a portmanteau is.

Edit: spelling
That seems like an overreaction. Did you have a bad day? I would have thought preempting you by outright admitting to being pedantic would have smoothed things over, but I guess not. Maybe next time I should have a big sign that says "This comment isn't worth your time to respond to".

I wouldn't bother to correct grammar or spelling - this is more akin to bungling a joke. That, and the OP followed in your mistelling of it, so I felt the urge to correct it before it started to spread. The original term is so concise and clever, I wish I'd thought of it.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

I'm despairing over ever really finishing turning my collection into decks; I had been aiming at sixteen EDH decks - a colourless one and then one for every single and double colour pairing - but I noticed it was a weirder ambition than I thought, cos I naturally skew towards , , and generals and find a lot of allied legendaries a bit dull, and when I find a niche general I enjoy - Rasputin, Grenzo - they always seem to suggest combo or big mana which demands putting money into making the deck run smoothly, which makes my existing collection less important. The whole point was to reduce the amount of cards I had stored and increase the amount I had sleeved up, ready to be played, but it always seems to be an excuse to buy more cards instead!

The solution, as always, is to expand into other casual formats. I'm thinking of my mono-colour decks as "lieutenant" EDH decks, running low mana cost stuff designed to buy time and deal early damage to the opposing lieutenant in an emperor three-on-three configuration, eschewing big staple finishers, just being love letters to archetypes like stompy or parfait. Deliberately colour-dense in terms of mana cost to the point where Sol Ring becomes uninteresting! Pauper can mop up a lot of the collection; from there, planning my own variants with automatic opponents who can run stuff you have sitting around in boxes you'll never think about casting - I started a thread about it here but it died on impact, perhaps because other casual forms get massively bulldozed by EDH online?

To end this nonsense post, I'd say that my optimum amount of decks is simultaneously four - because that's about how many high-powered decks I can make and also the number of guilds I really identify with - and one thousand - because it seems impossible to ever use up all your cards!

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

I've actually got a super narrow focus window, and my current stable of five active decks is the broadest it's ever been. I like to feel that I'm devoting enough attention to my lists, and frankly I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. There is some potential for improvement in each of the decks, even the ones that have been around since 2014/2015, they've all got their own thing going on. And I'm failing at cracking down and getting it done, as I'm distracted by the number of options. It helps depersonalise the cuts a bit, but also removes some minutiae comprehension.

On a less grumbly note, I find the five to be plenty to keep me entertained gameplay wise. There are some thematic overlaps between some pairs of the decks, but each has some unique component that sets it apart. Not all of them get equal time in the sun, as some are a bit stronger than others and bolster a disproportionate win rate in the group. But if I really feel like busting out that mono green jank combo heap, the group can accommodate too.

All in all, it's a balancing act between desired gameplay variety and deck upkeep. One can only humanly process so many decks at a time, so unless you're darrenhabib some mega-roster lists are likely to become outdated with new set releases. The end result depends on the individual's perfectionist list fiddling tendencies. Also, from a purely practical standpoint, fewer decks are easier to carry :P

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

silversnakes

Post by silversnakes » 4 years ago

Hello. there to answer your questions I have been in and out of this wonderful game a few times. I never sold anything from my collection because of the people I talked to and met over my time playing they sold out and eventually came back. So I decided to keep everything. For me personally its about being a crazy scientist building decks and playing them to do what you planned. Also, I love all different kinds of strategies and archtypes so for me commander is a great format to explore that. One issue that I have is getting bored very fast so I always love building new decks and trying new color combinations and crazy things in general. I feel pretty confidant in playing anything I create. Though the only thing I can have an issue with is understanding what a lot of the newer cards and memorizing there effects especially if you haven't played those decks in a while. I can't really say what you should do personally but, I'll say this I would only condense things if you have more then 4 copies of anything over 10 or so. If the cards in question are very expensive and your not using them I would condense them to 1 unless they are on the reserved list and you want hold them.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

Very interesting topic!
I gotta say, over the last few days i hesitated replying since it required some time to evaluate my roster and come up with a final judgment.
So, here we go:
kenbaumann wrote:
4 years ago
  • 1. How many decks do you regularly play? [...] And how confident do you feel piloting your decks?
  • 1. I play 9/16 of my decks regularly. To put that into perspective:
    I play 1 deck (Edric, Spymaster of Trest) considerably less, because it requires a pod a lot stronger than what i usually face, as not to crush everyone else and waste our time.
    I play 1 deck (Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle) less because it is atrociously slow to win with it, takes a long time to go through the motions, i want to be fit enough to maneuver it and want opponents that are willing to go the extra mile/sit through a potentially super lenghty game.
    I play 1 deck (Omnath, Locus of Rage) a lot less recently because i'm starting to become tired of what it does.
    I play 1 deck (Keranos, God of Storms) considerably less, because its design to be all out creature hate requires players that can cope with that sort of meta calls without getting salty. In rare cases i pull it out to teach certain players/pods a lesson in manners though.
    I play 1 deck (Traxos, Scourge of Kroog) less because it lacks answers by nature and folds hard to certain commanders (e.g. Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury, Memnarch & Zacama, Primal Calamity).
    I play 2 decks (Zada, Hedron Grinder & Ezuri, Renegade Leader) less, because they are All In-machines that either win fast or crash hard and i know certain players that don't enjoy facing glass cannons in either scenario.
    I am very confident piloting all but 2 of my decks. Keranos, God of the Forge can create clunky layers of rules and interactions and i'm not playing it often enough to be fully comfortable with that - yet, that is. The other being Archangel Avacyn // Avacyn, the Purifier, a deck that i really like but haven't found a clear direction to go forward with so far. Also, i don't know its Sunforger package (12 spells) by heart yet.
  • 2. Excuse me if i'm wrong on this one, but it sounds like your decks are usually quite potent, so to diversify your roster by power level would require you tone down in some cases and i'm sure that's a bad idea. Everyone should build within the conditions they feel most comfortable and entertained in.
    As mentioned the alternative is building by archetype. I'd see my line-up as a tree. The format is its trunk and the archetypes form its branches. Once the branches of your liking are well developed i'd see for myself if i'd go for subsets of branches. Say you got an Enchantment deck but you find Auras inspiring, same with artifacts/artifact creatures/vehicles/equipments and so on.
    Given there are only so many Archetypes to build my guess would be one would max out around 10 decks tops naturally.

On another note, have you considered building (custom) cubes? If have drafted so many and i'm yet to find one that i was underwhelmed with. They could fulfil all your needs of brewing, playing and the rush is most certainly there.
folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
I'm despairing over ever really finishing turning my collection into decks; I had been aiming at sixteen EDH decks - a colourless one and then one for every single and double colour pairing
Oh look, another one of those. :crazy:

I would encourage you to finish what you've started (unless you'd hate to do so, duh), because it really helped me appreciate certain color combinations. I was very hesitant to build , , and going into the process. I was sorting playable and interesting cards from left to right and back again until i realized, what i've been missing. The right commander(s) to build! Once you find them things fall into place and you'll enjoy yourself genuinely. Finishing the full spectrum i aimed for had me appreciate all colors and 2C combinations. I am a lot more in peace with myself as a player now than i was before.

An important note though. I loved the ride and experience gained, but if i were completely honest with myself and a lot more reasonable i'd go down to low single digit numbers of decks. There's only so much time to actually play the game and even if i were to pick less situational/diverse commanders (see above mentions) i still wouldn't be able to play more of them more regularily without balancing play time as the deciding factor instead of mood and preference.
Being the excessive tinkerer but semi-regular player i am, i'd say around half a dozen decks would be more than plenty to keep myself busy and happy.

Mimicvat

Theres something weirdly satisfying about hitting all of the mono and dual colour, its what I've been up to as well. Especially like the dual colour as I feel they have even more personality than the primary colours themselves. Though I cheat and let three colour decks count if they focus on a primary pair and splash the third colour - too many cool legends that are unfortunately three colour.

If you need to cut decks, you could make tri-colour decks that emphasize two or even all three of the pairings involved. Thats pretty tricky though.
Main decks;

kenbaumann
on and off since '94

Mimicvat wrote:
4 years ago
If you need to cut decks, you could make tri-colour decks that emphasize two or even all three of the pairings involved. Thats pretty tricky though.
Thanks for the recommendation and for posting your great chart (and an explanation), @Mimicvat!
NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
4 years ago
I play 9/16 of my decks regularly… Given there are only so many Archetypes to build my guess would be one would max out around 10 decks tops naturally. … On another note, have you considered building (custom) cubes? … I loved the ride and experience gained, but if i were completely honest with myself and a lot more reasonable i'd go down to low single digit numbers of decks.
@NoNeedToBragoBoutIt Thank you so much for the thorough response! And yeah, I've considered Cubes—and I've even built one! (Link in signature.) It's a lot of fun.
silversnakes wrote:
4 years ago
I'll say this I would only condense things if you have more then 4 copies of anything over 10 or so. If the cards in question are very expensive and your not using them I would condense them to 1 unless they are on the reserved list and you want hold them.
Thanks for the advice, @silversnakes!
Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
I've actually got a super narrow focus window, and my current stable of five active decks is the broadest it's ever been. I like to feel that I'm devoting enough attention to my lists, and frankly I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. … I find the five to be plenty to keep me entertained gameplay wise. … Also, from a purely practical standpoint, fewer decks are easier to carry :P
Thanks, @Rumpy5897! I feel you on the "easier to carry" point. And thanks for letting me know your preference/capacity!
folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
I'm despairing over ever really finishing turning my collection into decks; I had been aiming at sixteen EDH decks… The solution, as always, is to expand into other casual formats. … I'd say that my optimum amount of decks is simultaneously four - because that's about how many high-powered decks I can make and also the number of guilds I really identify with - and one thousand - because it seems impossible to ever use up all your cards!
Thank you @folding_music! I hadn't considered expanding into other casual formats. But I like your 4 or 1000 barbell—that seems right on to me, lol!

@TheAmericanSpirit @DirkGently I hope y'all worked this out privately, or that y'all no longer feel bad blood. No need to. We're all rowing in the same direction here! And thanks for your input, too.
gilrad wrote:
4 years ago
As someone who enjoys brewing and has very little actual time to play, my number is 2.
Thanks for the perspective, @gilrad, and for the advice re: keeping your collection and using that to trade-in for new products. That's good to consider.
MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
I currently have … 14 total, and I'm part way through the building process on at least 2 more. I did shrink my collection… I think my enjoyment of the game has only gone up by restricting myself. … I think there's a certain point, depending on your individual situation, where enough is enough and another deck won't actually increase your fun with the game.
Thanks @MeowZeDung! I'm glad to hear restraint has helped breed enjoyment and creativity for you.
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
After some deep thought, the answer is 42.
I'm putting a towel in my Quiver from now on.

Thank you all so much for weighing in. With your help, last night I made a decision: I'm cutting down to 6 decks. (Which fit perfectly together inside my Quiver!)What I'm keeping:
  • Gwendlyn di Corci: jank/theme (intelligence agency tribal) – power
  • Jodah: Chaos/Hug + nostalgic love letter to the game (includes many pet cards) – power
  • Kruphix: Hug/Combo – power (Primer here!)
  • Kozilek: Timmy/Vorthos (Eldrazi) – power
  • Grenzo: creatures/Aristocrats + chance – power
  • Urza: Control/Combo/Stax – power

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”