Another one of those intolerable "help me pick a commander because I'm indecisive" threads

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

I kinda hate these threads, but the forums pretty slow right now and I'm finally going to be reunited with my commander collection tomorrow (after moving to NZ), and there's a lot of stuff I've wanted to build but haven't gotten the chance. So, apologies, but it's not like the forum is blowing up with exciting topics right now.

Anyway here's my short list:

Athreos, Shroud-Veiled - probably focusing mostly on board wipes and instant-speed removal, with a dollop of strong etb/ltb creatures on the side, and some ramp to get athreos out on turn 3-5. Probably some planeswalkers because I just love the BW suite of pws.

Thassa, Deep-Dwelling - having gone through all the on-color etb effects I could find, the main things she seems to offer is draw, bounce, and a little token production and theft. Theft is probably the sweetest thing to do, especially cute with stuff like sower of temptation where you can "perm" the theft by blinking whatever you stole, and then blink sower to steal something else. Besides the obvious stuff, probably mostly a control deck to maximize the slow value thassa provides.

Purphoros, bronze-blooded - the brainstorming thread looks pretty spicy, although idk that I have anything to offer besides what you'd expect. Lots of strong etb/attack trigger dudes, ramp to hit 5 asap, play tricky by flashing stuff in, etc.

Gallia of the Endless Dance - this one I had some more innovative plans - instead of playing satyrs, because satyrs are garbage, the deck would focus primarily on phoenixes and phoenix-like creatures, which can mitigate the discard, make it easy to trigger Gallia, and keep the pressure on even though board wipes.

Emry, Lurker of the Loch - Back to being pretty run-of-the-mill, primarily focusing on sac effect artifacts to get value while playing the control game. Probably similar to thassa except with a different value engine under the hood.

sevinne, the chronoclasm - I was in the midst of a breakup when she was released and never got around to builder her - but since I procrastinated, now we've got escape! Unfortunately the only escape card worth anything whatsoever is glimpse of freedom. But still, she just seems cool as a graveyard-based control spellslinger deck.

Elsha of the Infinite - She was my top pick for coolest new precon commander, but I haven't actually gotten around to doing anything yet. Or even really thinking about it. But hey, she seems cool. Smart bet is on control, but maybe something with enchantments just to shake things up. Flashing in darksteel mutation to lock down a commander-centric combo seems hilarious.

Jori En, Ruin Diver - I made a brainstorming thread about this a while back. Basically the idea is to exploit a lot of the recent UR limited archetype cards, which have triggered of drawing 2 cards a turn or casting spells on enemy turns, alongside cheap cantrips for value. Annoying/cool(?) thing about this deck is that I'd probably have to get a bunch of new cards to commit to the strategy.

Sisay, Weatherlight Captain - I love toolbox cards (see Zirilan of the Claw, my longest-running commander), and Sisay seems like a fun build. My plans were to focus primarily on low-cost legends, including legendary lands, especially focusing on legends that disrupt enemy plans when brought out at instant speed, including a bunch of the WAR planeswalkers.

I think that's the whole list. Sorry it's so long. This is what happens when I'm separated from my cards for 4 months. Things...build up.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Hard to make a recommendation without knowing what you're looking for - it sounds like you already have ideas for what decks you'd like to make, so you need assistance narrowing it down?

In a vacuum, I'd probably recommend Sisay, Weatherlight Captain - toolboxing with legends is sweet, and there are a lot of unique effects you can run. The deck may get a bit repetitive if you find yourself fetching the same cards every time though.

After that? Probably Athreos, Shroud-Veiled - Orzhov theft / midrange grindy value is a thing that appeals to me.

Jori En, Ruin Diver also seems intriguing, although it may end up being a bit clunky.

Personally, I'd avoid Emry, Lurker of the Loch and Thassa, Deep-Dwelling, mostly because they seem like like they would end up being weaker versions of the multicolored versions of those archetypes. That may not be a thing that bothers you though.

I'd also avoid Elsha of the Infinite, mostly because I've seen a ton of them recently and I've sort of gotten sick of Sensei's Divining TopLaboratory Maniac. More attractive as a deck if you're doing something unique though.

WolfWhoWanders

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 4 years ago

I agree with Sisay as a top pick, I've wanted to try her but have had a plethora of 5 color decks lately and don't feel like going through it again. She seems awesome and versatile though. Athreos would be second for me too, followed by this Gallia Phoenix awesome sauce. It might be bad, but I bet it'll be a blast too. I've seen a couple cool elsha builds, but she seems a little broken no matter what you do, and I'm sure you would do something strong but not infinite/lab man which would be cooler. Maybe approach of the second sun lol
Responds well to spells and abilities

WolfWhoWanders

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 4 years ago

Happy to hear you're being reunited with your collection too
Responds well to spells and abilities

DirkGently

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
Hard to make a recommendation without knowing what you're looking for - it sounds like you already have ideas for what decks you'd like to make, so you need assistance narrowing it down?
I don't generally get excited about anything until I have a fairly fleshed out plan for what the deck should do. So yes, it's a question of which entire deck would be most interesting/fun, not simply picking a commander.

@WolfWhoWanders
Thanks! It's been a long wait. I'm probably going to ramp up my Rankle deck first, to see how it plays when it's got all its tricks, but since that's mono-black it shouldn't borrow many cards if I want to play 2 at once.

Sisay does seem sweet. I think she's probably front runner with Athreos and Gallia for me.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Having been playing Elsha of the Infinite it is very fun when you get to go off, and the tricks you get to experience with the stack will make for some super unique situations. So its not as linear as you might think.
However it is one of those things where its like "Do opponents have a way to answer Elesha?" If No, then win the game. If Yes, then build up more mana base, and look to win again in a few turns.
So basically plays much the same as Zur the Enchanter in that its more or less down to if you get to untap with them.

Now I remember your idea for a Sisay, Weatherlight Captain legendary land focused brew and I actually tried to make something myself. The conclusion however is that you are better off just playing Golos, Tireless Pilgrim for efficiency.
If you are not specifically building up Sisay ability to sequence into particular things, then she is a bit slow with having to activate.

I also think Jori En, Ruin Diver is a poor cousin to a lot of other spell spam decks. Only build this deck if you are up for getting the advantages that you think you're going to get only every 1/5 games.

Emry, Lurker of the Loch definitely can win easily with a few combos, so is going to be strong if you want to specifically aim to be winning as much as possible.

Thassa, Deep-Dwelling is basically a lower risk, lower reward than Brago, King Eternal, so just depend if you want to run an old theme, but be a bit more resilient to removal.

Gallia of the Endless Dance I think would be the most unique idea for a deck with graveyard stuff, but realistically probably the one that will fall on its face the most.

I helped somebody with a Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded brew and there are some tricky plays you can do, rather than just red zoning. Has potential for sure.

So my recommendation is Gallia of the Endless Dance. The reason is that I just want to help with a potential unique brew. I think it will win the least out of these commanders, but the idea of attacking with tricky little creatures like Bomat Courier, Grenzo, Havoc Raiser, Robber of the Rich for a small-ball army, appeals.
Anyway maybe you can start a brew thread, and if something comes together that might help clarify if there is a real deck to be made.

DirkGently

The power level I'm targeting with this is around 75%, but really I'm not that worried about it. I had fun playing pang tong, and even won with it once. I win enough regardless of what I'm playing.

Probably not interested in any combo wins. If I play Elsha, I'll be careful that any top-related combos aren't possible.

@darrenhabib

I'm interested in sisay but not Golos because Sisay affords the ability to react as an instant, whereas golos only works as a sorcery. Golos may well be stronger, but he doesn't play in the toolboxy way that catches my interest.

Plus Golos just seems like a boring build. My commander lets me cast spells without paying their mana costs...gee, what should I run? The biggest dumbest haymakers to ever exist? Wheeeee....
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
I'm interested in sisay but not Golos because Sisay affords the ability to react as an instant, whereas golos only works as a sorcery. Golos may well be stronger, but he doesn't play in the toolboxy way that catches my interest.

Plus Golos just seems like a boring build. My commander lets me cast spells without paying their mana costs...gee, what should I run? The biggest dumbest haymakers to ever exist? Wheeeee....
Sure. I actually built a tool-box at instant speed version myself. I might have already linked it in your other thread. https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the ... f-the-five

But what I'm saying is that if you are using her specifically to get lands, then its unlikely that you'll also get the luxury of enough turns to also use her as a toolbox. You just won't get that many activation's out of her before a game ends one way or another.
This is literally experience from trying to play her that way. It was just really inefficient.

shandiris

Post by shandiris » 4 years ago

Sisay, Weatherlight Captain or Sevinne, the Chronoclasm both seem interesting. Underworld Breach Jeskai seems like it would be a blast to play.

DirkGently

I see a lot of Sevinne decks made since the latest set include underworld breach...have to say, I don't get it. So you're running a bunch of cards that don't naturally flashback, just in the hopes you draw this card, and then you can only do it for one turn? And only the first one gets copied anyway? I guess you could bounce it to your hand, but you'd still be eating your grave pretty quickly. I guess if you're playing time magic you could go infinite-ish by double-casting time warp and co, and then bouncing breach with chain of vapor or something, then you just need to get 6 more cards into your grave over the next couple turns...Hmm, ok, maybe that is actually viable.

Probably not something I'd want to play though...I kept infinite turning my playgroup with my Uro deck because they kept durdling until I dredged my entire deck with loam and then went ham with nexus of fate. It works, but it's pretty boring. Killing them with Phoenixes sounds way cooler. TBH I've played too many control decks recently, aggro would probably be a fun change of pace. So I guess I'm leaning either purphy-boy or Gallia - although I'll probably end up making a lot of these at some point.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

The tech with underworld breach is mostly brain freeze, but it also goes ham with faithless looting and frantic search. Goes infinite with burning inquiry and kykar, or goblin lore, kykar, and anointed procession. The cool kids in cEDH and other formats run brain freeze, lotus petal, and LED with breach.

Somewhat of a nonbo with sevinne imo since only the first escape gets copied. Just a weird commander in general. I posted a brainstorming post about him you can look at if interested.

As far as your list, I'm obviously biased toward UWR, but I like Jori En for the challenge. Elsha is a good option too, but as mentioned can be linear and gets old if you go "optimal". I've enjoyed playing her as a voltron commander.

My buddy built purphoros 2.0 and it was cool the one time I saw it. Mono color is fun on several levels, so him or thassa seem like good picks too. Mono U flicker sounds hilarious.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Of your potential list, I find thassa, deep-dwelling really intriguing. Getting to infinitely jam scourge of fleets and kederekt leviathan are both my kind of jam. diluvian primordial mmmm.

conjurer's closet was my favorite EDH card back when I started up :P Who else misses sylvan primordial amirite :P

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

It clearly depends on what kind of play style you enjoy, but my experience with Athreos 2.0 has been pretty atriocious.
The fact that he triggers on exile too requires a different approach than saying facing Athreos 1.0. Most pods turned to playing Archenemy if there wasn't a bigger threat at the table - especially if a few players weren't in colors that are able to deal with indestructible enchantments naturally.
If you enjoy being that guy he's propably a good choice.
Playing Brago, King Eternal for the last 6 years and facing countless Roon of the Hidden Realm and the likes decks as well, i gotta say ETB focused decks can be one of the dullest experiences overall. You really gotta get creative not to lose interest quickly and being limited to "just" creatures and a single color makes that even harder. @pokken has mentioned a few obvious and classic ones, that you either enjoy a lot or are bored seeing. In case you're building that deck don't forget about Vedalken Plotter though. Swapping simple Islands for more fancy lands repeatedly is great fun. At least for you.
Sneak Attack in the command zone looks insanely tempting! Especially since neither g or u is involved.
I haven't looked into the thread, but i am sure there is plenty to do. Just the thought of flashing in Dire Fleet Daredevil for something absurd - or just to hinder a combo - is very spicy!
I really like her. Always happy to see non-obvious commanders! It's a deck in which Acorn Harvest might be playable and Madness outside of Rakdos would be refreshing too.
As you suggested, a similar control-ish niche like Thassa 2.0. Idk if you can get very creative with her, but at least she's a lot more interesting as far as deck tech goes.
Of the control options so far she looks the most promising. There's certainly room for original thoughts and crazy things to do. Finale of Promise and Increasing Vengeance would top my list of auto includes.
Eh, one of those plug and play commanders i frown up if the design space isn't used properly. Enchantress Voltron sounds great and i could not keep myself from thinking of the Zedruu the Greathearted list(s) that float around here. Darksteel Mutation and Imprisoned in the Moon are disgusting giving you have Flash too.
But being able to play the top of your deck at instant speed... Ancestral Knowledge is broken af!
A friend of mine built a solid control deck around her. Nothing fancy, but the CA is certainly there.
Getting new cards should always be a positive thing. I enjoy decks most that have as few overlaps with the rest of my roster. (Which has gotten increasingly hard over time, haha.)
5C, tutoring commandress, likely to cheat on mana cost a lot, ... yeah, i'm certainly not feeling much about her.
Wanna know what my original take would be? Grenzo, Dungeon Warden as a secret commander! 5C broken weenie slot machine!
From Fblthp, the Lost to Gaddock Teeg, all out crazyness.

Bottom line:
I'd like to see Gallia, Purphy 2.0 or Sevinne most.
Or Sisay 2.0 with a take that strays far from what people might expect.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

My next build is Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded personally. Obvious deck is pretty obvious though, not sure if it's going to be anything super surprising, although I am trying to make it more toolbox. Still, the only other mono red I've built was Krenko, Mob Boss and I took it apart after one game because it was unbelievably monotonous even the first time around. My pick is either new Purph or Gallia of the Endless Dance. She just seems unconventional, which seems right up your alley.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

DirkGently

I think I'm going with Gallia first. I've already spent a fair amount of time digging through stuff brainstorming for her, and it just seems like a fun change of pace. Plus I like hasty commanders. Feels like you're getting stuff done. Especially considering how good her trigger is.

Ooh, manlands would be good with her too. I like manlands.

Thanks for the input people!
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”