Which artifact/enchantment removal to cut for Gruul

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 4 years ago

I have a Gruul deck that currently runs these for artifact/enchantment removal:
I want to cut one of these cards, but can't figure out which one to cut. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Can you help me decide which one to cut?
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Of those I think return to nature is the most expendable.

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

If you got rid of Return to Nature, would you also be getting rid of your only graveyard removal? The flexibility is less important, I'd think, compared to what you're getting with the other choices (although if you aren't in a counter spell heavy meta, then maybe Krosan Grip isn't as good).

gilrad

Post by gilrad » 4 years ago

Hull breach is the only sorcery listed, I'd give it the boot.

Then again, I'm kinda addicted to instant-speed interaction. I like letting my opponents' problem permanents cause problems for each other, then dealing with them the moment they cause problems for me specifically.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

My vote goes to Hull Breach.
I know, it's considered a "classic", but i dislike sorcery speed spot removal unless it is stapled on a permanent. I'd cut Krosan Grip next. For its CMC it doesn't hit enough targets and Split Second isn't as strong when it doesn't affect potential commanders.
I'd cut Return to Nature last. CMC, flexibility when it comes to timing and targets... it's all there.

NZB2323

Segrus wrote:
4 years ago
If you got rid of Return to Nature, would you also be getting rid of your only graveyard removal? The flexibility is less important, I'd think, compared to what you're getting with the other choices (although if you aren't in a counter spell heavy meta, then maybe Krosan Grip isn't as good).
Primal Command is the only other GY hate card in the deck.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

NZB2323 wrote:
4 years ago
Primal Command is the only other GY hate card in the deck.
Yeah, that makes me lean more towards one of the others. I would be tempted to take out Krosan Grip.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Depends a lot on what else you have in the deck, but in a vacuum, I'd say Return to Nature for having the least additional utility. On the other hand, if this is your entire interaction suite, I'd say 'none of them', because I'm the sort of person that isn't comfortable running under ten pieces of interaction in my decks. There are a lot of good artifact/enchantment removal spells in Gruul that you may already be playing though (well, mostly green, but red has Chaos Warp and a few other gems).

NZB2323

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
Depends a lot on what else you have in the deck, but in a vacuum, I'd say Return to Nature for having the least additional utility. On the other hand, if this is your entire interaction suite, I'd say 'none of them', because I'm the sort of person that isn't comfortable running under ten pieces of interaction in my decks. There are a lot of good artifact/enchantment removal spells in Gruul that you may already be playing though (well, mostly green, but red has Chaos Warp and a few other gems).
Yeah, I wasn't including cards like Beast Within or Primal Command.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Depends on your environment and your deck. If people are running cards where split second is relevant, like Greater Good or Survival of the Fittest, then, Krosan Grip is a must. If you're in a softer environment, K-grip could get cut.

In terms of your deck, if you have a lot of reliable card draw, the value from cards like Hull Breach is not all that important. In a vacuum, I would say Hull Breach is the weakest of the cards you listed.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Always get rid of sorcery speed removal before instant speed removal. Your life may depend on it.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Hull Breach. It's a sorcery. You need instant-speed removal and lots of it.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Not to pirate this topic, but where do you guys rank Cindervines compared to everything else?
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”