Skip all my turns deck

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 4 years ago

So, I had quite possibly the stupidest deck idea I've ever had. The original idea was to use Lethal Vapors to skip a few million turns and then cast Teferi's Protection. Assuming my opponents don't have an eldrazi affect, an alt-win condition or a couple of other niche cases my opponents will eventually just deck a die.

For redundancy I could use Chronatog, Chronatog Totem, and Magosi, the Waterveil as suboptimal back-up effects to Lethal Vapors.

Then there's Chronomantic Escape, Island Sanctuary, Solitary Confinement, Delaying Shield, and Arboria, Soul Echo and Glacial Chasm as substitutes for teferi's protection. However, several of these are vulnerable to removal which means I need to continue to be able to continue to interact with the board while I never take a turn again. On the positive side that allows me to deal with the previously mentioned alt-win cons and such though too.

I have lots of options for card-draw and flash spells. The main issue I'm having is how do I generate mana, without ever having an untap step. So far I'm aware of Seedborn Muse, Unwinding Clock, Patron of the Orochi, Awakening, Smothering Tithe and to a lesser extent Victory Chimes and Urban Burgeoning. I'm trying to get as much redundancy as possible though so I just don't die to a disenchant.

As for the commander I'm also unsure if I should have Ramos, Dragon Engine for mana, Golos, Tireless Pilgrim for ramp/mana dump, or Kenrith, the Returned King as a mana-dump.

Here's a list of all the potentially relevant cards I've dragged out of the gatherer. I was wondering if I've missed anything exceptionally obvious and how people would recommend turning this pile into a vaguely consistent deck. Obviously it won't be particularly strong or efficient, but I'd like it to be somewhat functional.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I didn't need a turn anyway
Approximate Total Cost:

[edit]: Deathreap Ritual
Sygg, River Cutthroat
Tidal Force
Timesifter
Mind's Dilation
dovescape
Last edited by materpillar 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

FetalTadpole
Pronoun: he / him

Post by FetalTadpole » 4 years ago

There is nothing stopping your opponents from skipping as many turns as you do with Lethal Vapors.
You need something like Grand Abolisher.

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

FetalTadpole wrote:
4 years ago
There is nothing stopping your opponents from skipping as many turns as you do with Lethal Vapors.
City of Solitude also works.

materpillar
the caterpillar

FetalTadpole wrote:
4 years ago
That's assuming my opponents are fairly savvy and more importantly, that they all decide to band together to do this. If even one of them doesn't, that man will just kill everyone else since the rest won't have any defenses. I doubt the people I play with will have the self-control and trust required to all skip 10,000 turns with me. If they do, that's why I have the chronatog backup plan.

I'll keep the grand abolisher in mind though, in case this situation does pop up.

ConstantMists

Post by ConstantMists » 4 years ago

You might add Eater of Days It's cheap and will give you a 2 skipped turns.
Current Commander decks: Zurgo Helmsmasher - Borborgymos Enraged - Elenda, the Dusk Rose - Doran, the Seige Tower - Sliver Overlord - Yarok, the Desecrated - Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Hazoret the Fervent - Purphoros, God of the Forge - Gisela, Blade of Goldnight - Marath, Will of the Wild - Ramos, Dragon Engine - Ruhan of the Fomori - Narset, Enlightened Master - Kokusho, the Evening Star - Mizzix of the Izmagnus - Dragonsoul Knight (Pauper) - Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas (Precon)

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

You can float mana in your turn cast Teferi's Protection and then play out a few mana sources.

If you want to carry on playing the game during opponents turns, then you'll want some number of cards that trigger on opponents actions.
Burgeoning, Consecrated Sphinx, Geth's Grimoire, Hunting Grounds, Insight, Mystic Remora, Nezahal, Primal Tide, Rhystic Study, Runic Armasaur, Smothering Tithe, Treasure Nabber, Waste Not, Alms Collector, Curse of Echoes, Eye of the Storm, Heartwood Storyteller, Hive Mind, Notion Thief, Baleful Force.

Any draw cards that don't tap, for example Erebos, God of the Dead.

As far as mana in opponents turns:
Awakening

Murkfiend Liege, Quest for Renewal, Intruder Alarm along with mana dorks.

Dream Halls, Omniscience, As Foretold.

Any infinite colored mana combos, for example Grand Architect + Pili-Pala. Or Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal with artifact/creature mana.

Anything that grants flash is good, Alchemist's Refuge, Leyline of Anticipation, Vedalken Orrery, Winding Canyons, Elsha of the Infinite, Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage, Shimmer Myr, Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir, Vernal Equinox.

Obviously a hard strategy to pull off. I've found myself being able to avoid losing due to running out of cards with things like Academy Ruins and a single sacrifice artifact like Wayfarer's Bauble.
The Eldrazi titans Kozilek, Butcher of Truth and Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre often stifle this strategy as well as you can find a way to indefinitely discard or play and sacrifice once you have gone through your entire deck.
What I'm saying is that often without even meaning to have a way to avoid losing to no library, decks have a way of dealing with it. So unless you provide additional pressure (in removal or whatever) then usually at least one player can make it a draw.

materpillar
the caterpillar

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
Any infinite colored mana combos, for example Grand Architect + Pili-Pala. Or Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal with artifact/creature mana.
I'd like to avoid infinite combos if I can. I tend to think if I've done that I might as well just win the game with something.
Obviously a hard strategy to pull off. I've found myself being able to avoid losing due to running out of cards with things like Academy Ruins and a single sacrifice artifact like Wayfarer's Bauble.
The Eldrazi titans Kozilek, Butcher of Truth and Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre often stifle this strategy as well as you can find a way to indefinitely discard or play and sacrifice once you have gone through your entire deck.
What I'm saying is that often without even meaning to have a way to avoid losing to no library, decks have a way of dealing with it. So unless you provide additional pressure (in removal or whatever) then usually at least one player can make it a draw.
I'm very weary of just having someone cast Cleansing Nova and basically being completely incapable of anything because of it.

I've thought about it some more and I think I'll make the general Golos, Tireless Pilgrim because he can find Magosi, the Waterveil which should up the consistency of the deck quite a bit. I'm also noticing a ton of enchantments. Maybe it would be worth it to have an enchantress sub-theme?

Neptune

Post by Neptune » 4 years ago

I would like to suggest Smokestack and Sundial of the Infinite. Get two counters on the Smokestack. With the Stacks sacrifice trigger on the (um...) stack, end your turn with Sundial. They sac two permanents. Repeat.

In your deck, you wouldn't have to pay for Stasis, since you never get back to your upkeep. If you go with the enchantress theme, you can always choose not to pay for Stasis, put it on top with Hall of Heliod's Generosity and draw cards for playing it.

darrenhabib

Neptune wrote:
4 years ago
I would like to suggest Smokestack and Sundial of the Infinite. Get two counters on the Smokestack. With the Stacks sacrifice trigger on the (um...) stack, end your turn with Sundial. They sac two permanents. Repeat.

In your deck, you wouldn't have to pay for Stasis, since you never get back to your upkeep. If you go with the enchantress theme, you can always choose not to pay for Stasis, put it on top with Hall of Heliod's Generosity and draw cards for playing it.
Static Orb is another one.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

Disrupt Decorum. The devil is in the italics.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

darrenhabib

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
Disrupt Decorum. The devil is in the italics.
OK, I dig it.

How about Hope of Ghirapur, Lavinia of the Tenth, Single Combat ... yikes!

materpillar
the caterpillar

I tried this deck out today and it went... mediocre? The deck is very very slow to get off the ground. I found myself just casting Golos and activating him once a turn hoping for a high-roll. Also, Golos + Seedborn Muse is too strong together. The silliness of the deck's synergies is overshadowed by the oppressive amount of card advantage that provides. The one game I won was because I used Sterling Grove to put Omniscience ontop of my deck and cast it with Golos.

I'm thinking of cutting red and changing the general to Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix + Tymna the Weaver or Ramos, Dragon Engine. I think I need to cut a lot of the cute cards and massively increase the ramp and early defense.

I'm a little weary of adding cards like stasis and winter orb as those go over very poorly in my playgroup.
I didn't need a turn anyway
Approximate Total Cost:

schweinefett

Post by schweinefett » 4 years ago

I built this exact deck a long time ago, with karona, false god at the helm. Just watch karona beat everyone else to a pulp while you sit on the side and skip your turns.

the secondary win con was natural decking while you're phased out.

It wasn't great though. I will say, my build has more tutors for lethal vapours/time skipping stuff, and less redundant effects. drawing into them while setting up is a huge pain, and usually breaks the game plan a bit too much. Might be worth giving that a shot.

darrenhabib

materpillar wrote:
4 years ago
Also, Golos + Seedborn Muse is too strong together. The silliness of the deck's synergies is overshadowed by the oppressive amount of card advantage that provides. The one game I won was because I used Sterling Grove to put Omniscience ontop of my deck and cast it with Golos.
Golos activation still requires you to cast your non-instants during your own main phases, so hopefully you haven't been abusing with Seedborn Muse illegally? Of course flash enablers will allow you to do this, which you do have a lot of, so I'll assume that was the case.

Some of the cards look a little suspicious in terms of thresholds.
Earthcraft and Serra's Sanctum look like often they will not do much.
Unwinding Clock with just artifact lands and literally Sol Ring and Mana Crypt is going to be a bust most games.
Shimmer Myr for 9 artifacts is not really what you want.
Yeva, Nature's Herald can help with exactly two creatures in the whole deck? One of which I'd cut..
With no mana creatures, Murkfiend Liege doesn't do anything for your game plan as far as I can see.

If you look at all the "flash" enablers, Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir, Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage, Elsha of the Infinite, Yeva, Nature's Herald, Vernal Equinox, Leyline of Anticipation, Winding Canyons, Alchemist's Refuge, Vedalken Orrery, Shimmer Myr, then "creatures" is the most common thread.
Given if you want to make Unwinding Clock and/or Shimmer Myr better, you should look at artifact creatures as ways of providing mana.
Copper Myr, Gold Myr, Leaden Myr, etc are options. Only Elsha of the Infinite doesn't cast them.
The thing with creatures however is that they'll have summoning sickness forever if you are skipping turns.
If you were to play normal artifact mana like Arcane Signet then Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir, Vernal Equinox, Winding Canyons will not be able to cast them.
So it's going to depend on whether you think setting up is more important, or the ability to advance your board while you are actually skipping turns.

I would also look to Privileged Position + Sterling Grove/Greater Auramancy as a combo to protect what you are are doing. The only thing you have to counterspell then is any return all permanents to hands like Cyclonic Rift.

materpillar
the caterpillar

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
Golos activation still requires you to cast your non-instants during your own main phases, so hopefully you haven't been abusing with Seedborn Muse illegally? Of course flash enablers will allow you to do this, which you do have a lot of, so I'll assume that was the case.
Correct, I was only using flash enablers.
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
Some of the cards look a little suspicious in terms of thresholds.
Earthcraft and Serra's Sanctum look like often they will not do much.
Unwinding Clock with just artifact lands and literally Sol Ring and Mana Crypt is going to be a bust most games.
Shimmer Myr for 9 artifacts is not really what you want.
Yeva, Nature's Herald can help with exactly two creatures in the whole deck? One of which I'd cut..
With no mana creatures, Murkfiend Liege doesn't do anything for your game plan as far as I can see.
This is more of a proto-type build to get a better gauge of how much tuning it needs, it's weakness, etc. I'm expecting it to need a ton of work from here. The biggest problem with skipping your turn that I've noticed is you skip your untap step. As such, finding consistent way to generate mana without an untap step is the biggest hurdle for this deck.

The only ways I could figure out how to do that (outside of an infinite mana combo) is Unwinding Clock, Seedborn Muse, Murkfiend Liege/Endbringer + Earthcraft, Omniscience and to a lesser extent smothering tithe. I included all of them for testing purposes. I wonder if something like upwelling might be worth it.

There was also a multitude of turns where I was like I really want to cast Vernal Equinox but I'm getting beat down by 4/4 zombies so I have to cast something that affects the board or I'll die.
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
If you look at all the "flash" enablers, Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir, Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage, Elsha of the Infinite, Yeva, Nature's Herald, Vernal Equinox, Leyline of Anticipation, Winding Canyons, Alchemist's Refuge, Vedalken Orrery, Shimmer Myr, then "creatures" is the most common thread.
Given if you want to make Unwinding Clock and/or Shimmer Myr better, you should look at artifact creatures as ways of providing mana.
Copper Myr, Gold Myr, Leaden Myr, etc are options. Only Elsha of the Infinite doesn't cast them.
The thing with creatures however is that they'll have summoning sickness forever if you are skipping turns.
This is why I steered clear of creatures in my first build.
If you were to play normal artifact mana like Arcane Signet then Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir, Vernal Equinox, Winding Canyons will not be able to cast them.
So it's going to depend on whether you think setting up is more important, or the ability to advance your board while you are actually skipping turns.
I'm unsure of the exact balance needed. The deck was too hard to get off the ground to even get to the skipping turns, so I should probably focus on that. I think I need to cut down on my flash enablers a little bit.
Elsha of the Infinite
is definitely getting cut.
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
I would also look to Privileged Position + Sterling Grove/Greater Auramancy as a combo to protect what you are are doing. The only thing you have to counterspell then is any return all permanents to hands like Cyclonic Rift.
This is a good idea. I also need more early game protection, because the deck's setup is so clunky.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”