What's your most unusual commander and/or deck?

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

FoxOfWar wrote:
4 years ago

Tariel, Reckoner of Souls "persistent f*ckery". Spam manarocks, extort cards, effects that trigger when I cast any spell, big things that get bigger by the amount of artifacts I have, with Tariel as an alt-wincon/curve topper of sorts. Typical mid-lategame turn is casting a 3-mana rock, extorting it four times, Leyline of Lightning, Firebrand Archer, Underhanded Designs, a few Searing Meditation triggers...
This one intrigues me. Do you have a list? :D

rogerandover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by rogerandover » 4 years ago

Not that I would call it unusual, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone else play Squee, Goblin Nabob as their commander. It's a suicide-burn deck, that frequently wins games. Doubling on mana and looting as much as able. Squee goes to the grave all the time and turns looting into raw value.
It's one of my longest running decks, and I love to pilot it, even though it is putting my math-skills to a test. Bonus Round is one that gives me the most headaches, but it has also been the reason I've killed someone at 30-ish life with a Lightning Bolt.

worldsaverinc

Post by worldsaverinc » 4 years ago

Gargos, Vicious Watcher - Creatureless Voltron. It is just Gargos, a few equipment and ramp, and whole much of targeted cards that protect with Hexproof, Indestructible, Regenerate, Trample, or Draw Cards.

It is pretty fun playing voltron and killing more creatures then the table combined from Gargos's ability + Combat. He can single handedly keep decks in check and then win with Commander damage. It is pretty fun.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

My decks feel so uninteresting in comparison!

I had a Rona, Disciple of Gix deck that was based around historic. Almost all non-lands were historic, and I would leverage things like Thran Temporal Gateway. I also played total garbage cards like Zahid, Djinn of the Lamp because it could synergize with the random artifacts in the deck.

I think the most off-beat idea I currently have is a Morophon the Boundless / Shadowborn Apostles deck, but it's still under construction and I build at a glacial pace.

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
My decks feel so uninteresting in comparison!

I had a Rona, Disciple of Gix deck that was based around historic. Almost all non-lands were historic, and I would leverage things like Thran Temporal Gateway. I also played total garbage cards like Zahid, Djinn of the Lamp because it could synergize with the random artifacts in the deck.

I think the most off-beat idea I currently have is a Morophon the Boundless / Shadowborn Apostles deck, but it's still under construction and I build at a glacial pace.
Rona really intrigued me when Dominaria came out, and I think it's a shame she doesn't see more play. I think when it came to historic, Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage and Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain stole the glory.

Morophon the Boundless seems stupid fun to build, but I'm afraid to try because I'd go down so many rabbit holes in the process with it! :grin: I think a glacial pace is appropriate with such a wide open general.

Apostles are an interesting take for sure. Assuming Morophon is going to name Demon rather than Human or Cleric, doesn't the apostle strategy kind of invalidate the wubrg discount? I'm genuinely curious how you're leveraging both Morophon and the apostles.

I said Keranos pingers earlier in this thread, but I think my newest brew dethrones it as my new "most unusual" deck. It's Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder partnered with Kraum, Ludevic's Opus commanding a beast tribal etb combo build :crazy: Here's the list if that intrigues anyone.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Sinis

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
Rona really intrigued me when Dominaria came out, and I think it's a shame she doesn't see more play. I think when it came to historic, Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage and Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain stole the glory.
The problem with Rona (IME) is that it's (mostly) just a rough Eternal Witness analogue in the command zone, and that usually just results in stupid Eternal Witness things (like using Crystal Shard, recurring Sagas, that kind of thing). Thankfully both Karn's Temporal Sundering and Yawgmoth's Vile Offering exile themselves on resolution.

Anyway, Rona would just end up recurring the same historic card over and over once something effective was found, and my regular group got pretty sick of continually being subject to The Eldest Reborn and Phyrexian Scriptures, or recurring Ugin, the Spirit Dragon etc. Some other stuff pushed it into unfun territory (like Hex Parasite to 're-read' specific chapters in Sagas, or Thran Temporal Gateway to dodge counterspells forever).
MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
Apostles are an interesting take for sure. Assuming Morophon is going to name Demon rather than Human or Cleric, doesn't the apostle strategy kind of invalidate the wubrg discount? I'm genuinely curious how you're leveraging both Morophon and the apostles.
Definitely naming Human or Cleric, rather than Demons. The way to leverage Morophon is to be able to cast Apostles for free (though, I wonder how useful that is when Morophon costs 7). Playing 5-colour means that you can play with a wide variety of weird cards that you wouldn't otherwise see in EDH; Bloodbond March, Sphinx of the Chimes, Mass Appeal, Tamiyo, Collector of Tales. There are plenty of cards across a lot of different colours that get good/weird, and Morophon kind of lets us play all of them.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
The problem with Rona (IME) is that it's (mostly) just a rough Eternal Witness analogue in the command zone, and that usually just results in stupid Eternal Witness things (like using Crystal Shard, recurring Sagas, that kind of thing). Thankfully both Karn's Temporal Sundering and Yawgmoth's Vile Offering exile themselves on resolution.

Anyway, Rona would just end up recurring the same historic card over and over once something effective was found, and my regular group got pretty sick of continually being subject to The Eldest Reborn and Phyrexian Scriptures, or recurring Ugin, the Spirit Dragon etc. Some other stuff pushed it into unfun territory (like Hex Parasite to 're-read' specific chapters in Sagas, or Thran Temporal Gateway to dodge counterspells forever).
MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
Definitely naming Human or Cleric, rather than Demons. The way to leverage Morophon is to be able to cast Apostles for free (though, I wonder how useful that is when Morophon costs 7). Playing 5-colour means that you can play with a wide variety of weird cards that you wouldn't otherwise see in EDH; Bloodbond March, Sphinx of the Chimes, Mass Appeal, Tamiyo, Collector of Tales. There are plenty of cards across a lot of different colours that get good/weird, and Morophon kind of lets us play all of them.
For what it's worth naming humans/clerics gives you access to probably a reasonable amount of control and hatebears too. There's maybe some brewing space to explore there. I'm not sure what the angle is for victory in that though.

Also along the same line of apostle you could look into Persistent Petitioners as well. Maybe it could be an anti-singleton tribal?
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
Some other stuff pushed it into unfun territory (like Hex Parasite to 're-read' specific chapters in Sagas
LOL. I can see why it got "unfun", but still that's freaking clever and deserves props. Especially with something like Phyrexian Scriptures.
Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
Definitely naming Human or Cleric, rather than Demons. The way to leverage Morophon is to be able to cast Apostles for free (though, I wonder how useful that is when Morophon costs ). Playing 5-colour means that you can play with a wide variety of weird cards that you wouldn't otherwise see in EDH; Bloodbond March, Sphinx of the Chimes, Mass Appeal, Tamiyo, Collector of Tales. There are plenty of cards across a lot of different colours that get good/weird, and Morophon kind of lets us play all of them.
Ah, nevermind. I'm an idiot and forgot how Morophon's discount worked and that Apostles cost instead of .

Bloodbond March and Mass Appeal seem fun for that strategy :cool:

Edit:
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Also along the same line of apostle you could look into Persistent Petitioners as well. Maybe it could be an anti-singleton tribal?

Spicy :love:
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Sinis

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
For what it's worth naming humans/clerics gives you access to probably a reasonable amount of control and hatebears too. There's maybe some brewing space to explore there. I'm not sure what the angle is for victory in that though.
Yeah! I mean, the big one for naming human is Saskia the Unyielding which might work well with the demons we summon. The angles for victory are probably going to be demon beats, Liliana's Contract and probably some aristocrat effects.

The deck is going to be tight on slots, though.
I have 30 of both of them, haha!

Persistent Petitioners are a little bit less exciting because they are not made totally free by Morophon (unless you add Sapphire Medallion to the mix). But, it's definitely a possibility.
MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
Bloodbond March and Mass Appeal seem fun for that strategy
Definitely. There's a long, long list of cards for this, haha (Immortal Servitude also seems silly).

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah! I mean, the big one for naming human is Saskia the Unyielding which might work well with the demons we summon. The angles for victory are probably going to be demon beats, Liliana's Contract and probably some aristocrat effects.

The deck is going to be tight on slots, though.
I have 30 of both of them, haha!

Persistent Petitioners are a little bit less exciting because they are not made totally free by Morophon (unless you add Sapphire Medallion to the mix). But, it's definitely a possibility.
MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
Bloodbond March and Mass Appeal seem fun for that strategy
Definitely. There's a long, long list of cards for this, haha (Immortal Servitude also seems silly).
Yeah, they're not the most exciting card anyway, unless you go the self mill route for some sort of reanimator/graveyard synergy.

As an aside, this could be a cool place for something like Mirrorweave/Infinite Reflection shenanigans in some way, shape or form.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

GabrielleAngelfire
Avenging Angel
Pronoun: she / her

Post by GabrielleAngelfire » 4 years ago

My most unusual deck is the Boros angel goodstuff deck I worked with people on the MtGSalvation forums to make. The commander is Archangel Avacyn and I use her as an insurance policy against board wipes, or to cast my own board wipe, hold priority, and then flash in Avacyn to save my creatures. Another thing it does is tap creatures down and use Smoke to make a soft creature lock. It could stand to be improved, I think that maybe it has too many board wipes, and that some of them need to be replaced with Austere Command, and the board wipe that gives people who have big creatures life before destroying them. I may post it here to get some suggestions along those lines, and how to incorporate some of the new cards that should go in. The deck can be found at: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/archang ... nge-mk-ii/
"Image"
Special thanks to Bella for my sig
"Cut it down, bury it in the snow, put it to the torch. The rose will still bloom again."
Current EDH Decks:
RWArchangel Avacyn, GWNazahn, Revered Bladesmith, RKari Zev, Skyship Raider (French Duel)

FoxOfWar
Pronoun: she / her

Post by FoxOfWar » 4 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
FoxOfWar wrote:
4 years ago

Tariel, Reckoner of Souls "persistent f*ckery". Spam manarocks, extort cards, effects that trigger when I cast any spell, big things that get bigger by the amount of artifacts I have, with Tariel as an alt-wincon/curve topper of sorts. Typical mid-lategame turn is casting a 3-mana rock, extorting it four times, Leyline of Lightning, Firebrand Archer, Underhanded Designs, a few Searing Meditation triggers...
This one intrigues me. Do you have a list? :D
I'm unfortunately too lazy to keep up decklists (too many decks that change too often), but searching for the above effects gets you pretty much the core of the deck. Spam manarocks, cause repeated ping/life drain from it, then abuse the load of mana you've created to rinse and repeat. Oh and Hellkite Igniter kills people.
36 decks or so...
Show
Hide
Hope of Ghirapur Swordpile - Ghosty Blinky Anafenza - Nezahal - Big, Blue and HERE! - Gonti Can Afford It - Kazuul, Tyrant of Chandras - Polukranos, More Mana - Azor Takes Flight - A3OS System - Vona Life Pain - Angel With a Whip and Her Pet Fox - Tolsimir Wolf Crusade - Dragonlord Steal & Copy - Arjun, the Mad Flame - Tatyova's Mad Lands - Zegana's Simic - Chainer Does the Value Dance - Polukranos, Unchained - Running Thromok - Sydri's Loco-Inspiraion - Zedruu the Furyhearted - Estrid Land Animation - A Case of Tariel's Persistent F*ckery - Tail of the AristoCat Humanitarian - Karador, Tomb Operator - Tayam Re-Curses - Jeleva... does... things - Sidisi, Death is Served - Omnath, Blink and You're Missing - The Negatiweaver - Breya, Eggs, Breya'd Eggs - Ishai and Reyhan Dicepile - Kynaios and Tiro Landfall Impersonations - Tana and Ravos' Regal Gatekeeping - Yidris of the Chi-Ting Corporation - General Tazri's Utterly Amazing Allies

CrazyPierre
Jasmine Boreal is for real.

Post by CrazyPierre » 4 years ago

Jasmine Boreal Peacekeeping/Nature-Wildernesss theme.
"Peace must prevail, even if the wicked must die", .
It has paladins, Peacekeeper, Peace Talks, Temporary Truce, Brisela Meld, a bunch of knights, it's just fair Magic for the most part.

People are always cracking on me for having a vanilla commander but hey' it works for me!

Gwathnar

Post by Gwathnar » 4 years ago

Probably my The Scarab God deck.

It's a Reanimator/Control deck with a sprinkling of mill. It's proven to be quite strong and since I usually reanimate other people's creatures, no 2 games are the same.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”