What's your most unusual commander and/or deck?

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
MeowZeDung: I've been considering making a pinger deck for a long time. I've had a loose list kicking around for years. Is it fun to pilot? Any secret tech you'd recommend?
Well, it's certainly not too difficult to pilot apart from tap/untap sequencing. One of my more linear decks, but hilarious nonetheless. The fun factor comes from the damage augmentors and untap effects really. Once each pinger is responsible for 5+ damage per round of the table I'm starting to have fun.

Secret tech is Fanatic of Mogis. There's plenty of red devotion from the other pingers and damage enchantments which multiply the effect, so he usually stings a bit :cool:
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

My weirdest is a Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder enchantress build. It's definitely not built for being good though, primarily it's built to a theme. It still does fine, but winning is not it's primary goal. Hilariously enough, the last 4-5 games it's had literally zero board impact and still somehow won every single one of those games, from the brink of defeat at like 1 life.

Otherwise, my Nissa, Vastwood Seer is a weird choice for a control deck, although it's not necessarily off the beaten track. And Vial Smasher the Fierce and Kraum, Ludevic's Opus is a little odd for being part superfriends, part legendary tribal. I don't really know how that one happened to be honest, but it fits together a few synergies quite well.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 4 years ago

I have a Rainbow Stairwell Elemental Tribal Horde of Notions deck (here) which was a fun challenge to build and is interesting to pilot.

I also enjoy my Sydri, Galvanic Genius Vehicle deck (U or Crew) that gets some weird looks.

My Enduring Ideal deck (Scion of the Ur-Dragon) has an interesting WinCon in Rise of the Hobgoblins and Day of the Dragons

But my favorite (which might not be weird, but I certainly have never seen anywhere else) is Progenitus Hydra Tribal. Yes, all creatures are Hydra (including things like Molten Hydra and Balduvian Hydra - 30 Hydra in all) with a proliferate subtheme. So much fun to pilot.
V/R

Treamayne

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

I run a kinda janky Will and Rowan deck that focused on the theme of doubling. Used to run some clones/token makers but I focused it more on a instant or sorcery theme (with a mini focus on adventures) for Will and planeswalkers, level up creatures and other activated abilities stuff for Rowan. My favorite win was when I had 2 each of the twins emblems out, play Repeated Reverberation to copies both Contentious Plan and then did the ultimate onThe Royal Scions and burned out everyone.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
NoNeedToBragoBoutIt: You can't just tell me the Lazav deck has a bunch of weird cards in it and then not tell me ANY!

What if i were to tell you, that these are actually some of the best creatures in the deck!?

Or that i'm running Brain Freeze to turbo-charge my own gy? That Library of Leng and Thran Turbine should be KOS if you got to know the deck?

I am genuinely happy with and proud of this deck to be completely honest.

schweinefett

Post by schweinefett » 4 years ago

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
(The Zedruu build is highly unusual, too, but tstorm823 can speak to it since its his.)
I don't know, Zedruu seems like a pretty popular answer in here. It's probably the right answer, but I want to say something different.
I've a zedruu voltron deck. Full of 1-2 cmc auras like bravado and blue scarab to boost zedruu's power, and then DONATE all the auras to my opponents. Whoever's got the token deck, bravado counts the controlling player's creatures, and then boosts zedruu to insane powers. the blue scarab looks at me (the controller's opponent, to see if zedruu is blue, and she is...) there are some cards that give zedruu unblockable, so it can turn into a one-hit kill at times.

I also run the typical persistent petitioners deck, with the usual bloodbond march/ripple to blurt them all out onto the table... and then i finish the game off with an overrun effect. I've not come across other persistent petitioners decks before though, so maybe it's a lot more common in other places.

I also have a rakdos the defiler suicide RB aggro. Ever seen hellcarver demon used? ever pay upwards of 25 life into pain's reward? or heck.. pay all your life into lich... and win? or chaining final fortune, world at war, entwined savage beating with a couple of demons? and lose to a well-timed oblation? it's always a good romp, and no game is ever the same.

Then i have a lord of tresserhorn "leaves the battlefield" tribal. Though i've noticed that one other person on this thread has the same deck. so maybe it's not as unique as i thought.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

schweinefett wrote:
4 years ago
I've a zedruu voltron deck.
And you told me to play Pentad Prism, the best Zedruu advice.
I also have a rakdos the defiler suicide RB aggro. Ever seen hellcarver demon used?
Funny story. I was at CommandFest DC, and played Zedruu every game of magic except one. That game I played Olivia, Mobilized for War. I happened to turn 4 a Hellcarver Demon with haste. The rest of the table thought I was being funny, and then the first trigger barely hit anything, just redrew me some cards I think. But they decided to let it live and I got to hit again, and this time I hit Sire of Insanity. They were less amused, but someone had removal for it. But Hellcarver survived one more turn, I hit Twilight's Call, flipped up my graveyard, boardwiped everyone with etb triggers, drew like 15 cards, discarded most of them, had my opponents low on life. The next player board wiped and I was effectively dead. But they were taught the terror of Hellcarver Demon that turn.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 4 years ago

Mono-red Superfriends led by Torbjorn.

Really, it's tribal Chandra with a guest appearance by her mentor Jaya.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

[mention]NoNeedToBragoBoutIt[/mention]: I'm gonna be honest with you, I started looking through the Lazav thread last night, but I was tired and I couldn't wrap my head around it. I'm intrigued, though, and I'm gonna try again today.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif » 4 years ago

I love playing around with weird rules interactions or unconventional winning methods.
I play a Tuvasa the Sunlit enchantress deck with the purpose of forcing a draw with Enchanted Evening + Ajani's Chosen/Archon of Sun's Grace. Of course it can win like "normal" decks do... but sometimes that's lame.
I don't know if it's still unusual, but Reaper King Changeling Tribal and Lord effects is always a blast to play.
Thromok the Insatiable. Everyone and their mother plays Xenagod but I love my Token Voltron Hellion. Just yesterday I ended the game with a 64/64 Thromok that was unblockable.
And a more competitive route: Fblthp, the Lost with Proteus Staff to stack my deck as I wish.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 4 years ago

This is a really interesting topic, lots of funny ideas :D
I'm eager to try those Lazav builds full of clunky creatures and that mirrorweave Kykar deck, as well as the pingers deck!

[mention]KitsuLeif[/mention] : I also had a Thromok deck back when it was released, I had so much fun with it. I remember a game where we were playing with the "secret target" variant: everyone had a secret player they needed to kill, and when they successfully killed them, they took over their "prey". I had a 81/81 Thromok on the board, equipped with a Mage Slayer, which I used to attack and kill my current target. I then took their prey, killed the prey with Soul's Fire, took the prey of the prey (which was the last player) and used Fling right away, winning the game on the spot, without even leaving the declare attackers phase. :p

As for oddball-style decks, I usually tend to enforce theme over power. For example, I've built an all-creatures Animar deck, a creatureless token Narset deck, a Riku deck with nothing but clones and fork effects, a color-changing deck with Blind Seer. That last one didn't perform really well but I don't care about winning as long as I have fun. My next project is to build a Rayami deck that aims to got all the keywords each game.

My current pet deck is a Golos deck in which every nonland card has a random effect (cascade, flip a coin, clash, explore, parley, polymorph, etc.) but I stayed away from typical "chaos" cards such as Grip of Chaos or Eye of the Storm in order to keep my friends. There is no direct library manipulation effect, save for Orcish Librarian, which makes the deck really fun as you almost never know what's around the corner. Surprisingly, the deck holds rather well during gameplay as you can quickly flood the battlefield with permanents once the deck starts going. Special mention to Primal Surge which is always a blast to cast and might just make you win the game... "might" (I still got 6 instants and sorceries in the deck).

Couver

Post by Couver » 4 years ago

I have five decks for each of the original Amonkhet Gods. I hardly come across them even in the 99 of other decks. Which makes sense given their restrictions. But they've turned out to be solid aggro/voltron commanders which I like. And it's neat to build around their restriction. Rhonas especially works great with green's fight mechanic. And their invocations weren't that expensive.

Although the amount of times since War that I get 'why aren't you playing the God-Eternal version instead?' is getting a bit old :laugh:

Oketra The True
Rhonas The Indomitable
Bontu The Glorified
Kefnet The Mindful
Hazoret The Fervent

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

Couver wrote:
4 years ago
And their invocations weren't that expensive.
Even Hazoret the Pervert? I'm surprised that one isn't a beloved collector's item for mature, serious people.

Side note: Rhonas the Indomitable is awesome with banding.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Couver

Post by Couver » 4 years ago

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
Couver wrote:
4 years ago
And their invocations weren't that expensive.
Even Hazoret the Pervert? I'm surprised that one isn't a beloved collector's item for mature, serious people.

Side note: Rhonas the Indomitable is awesome with banding.
:laugh:

Hazoret and Rhonas did cost more. But nothing too crazy. Honestly I can't believe they let it go to print with the text looking like that.

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 4 years ago

Chandra tribal.
Basically run all Chandra's and card theat say Chandra in the name, reference her or feature her in art.

It's not great but it is loads of fun.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

Gashnaw wrote: Chandra tribal.
Basically run all Chandra's and card theat say Chandra in the name, reference her or feature her in art.

I've been thinking of making something similar for Gideon/Kytheon, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be all that fun to pilot.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 4 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:

I've been thinking of making something similar for Gideon/Kytheon, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be all that fun to pilot.
I have a Gideon tribal deck based on his theme of controlling combat. It's low power, but can grind out a game. I think it's posted if you'd like a reference. The best combination is probably constantly making palisade giant indestructible or just landing humility with 3 or 4 Gideons out.

It is not the most fun, but it's an interesting lower power theme. I mostly keep it as a penance if I played over the group's power level.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 4 years ago

I run a Morophon, the boundless Kavu tribal infinite combo deck where Horned Kavu goes infinite with Morohpon and one of these cards:

Or it can also go infinite with Sparkcaster with one of these cards:
I also have a cleric tribal deck with Tymna and Ravos, and a deck of only commons that goes with Edric, but I'd say my Morohpon Kavu tribal infinite combo deck is the most unique.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 4 years ago

Where do I start with my Unusual EDH decks?

Over the years I've had many odd balls:

palladia- mors - Enemy Landfall Punisher. It focused on ramping Opponents and then using MLD and second Sunrise effects in conjunction with zo-zu, the punisher to kill opponents.

Zedruu, the greathearted - I also have a Voltron Build of Zedruu focused on Auras.

He who Hungers - Discard Spirit tribal control. It was so oppressive between bloodghast, nether traitor, and nether spirit I can thoughtseize opponents to death.

Chisei, heart of oceans - Mono Blue Control but with Counters!

Blind Seer - Color Matters control. Using the old Color hate cards it was oppressive with painter's servant but would win with Swords of X and Y to kill people.

Trostani, Selesnya's Voice - Wurms tribal. turns out there are a large amount of wurm token generators. Nothing ever beats though populating token copies of worldspine wurm

Zuberi, Golden Feather - Griffins tribal. Turns out with all whites anthems and equipment boosts griffins turn into Dragon sized beaters in the air.

I could go on for hours as I have lists for nearly every legal Legendary Creature but those have been some of my Most sucessful decks.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Gashnaw

RxPhantom wrote:

It is possible. i mean Chandra hold a special warm place in my heart (Pun intended) She was my first ever planeswalker, and the art on her Japanese only chibi card is possibly one of the most adorable things ever.

BaronCappuccino

Post by BaronCappuccino » 4 years ago

I've a goblin deck led by grenzo, dungeon warden that's 64 goblin creatures including him, and 36 land. Goblins are unique among tribal offerings in that they represent a complete card ecosystem from ramp to draw to tutors, removal, etc. Their fondness for 2/2 or less means Grenzo offers value right out of the gate. It's both aggro and combo.

FoxOfWar
Pronoun: she / her

Post by FoxOfWar » 4 years ago

Seems we have a topic about my deckbuilding philosophy here.

Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves: How big can I make an entering wolf token?

Tariel, Reckoner of Souls "persistent f*ckery". Spam manarocks, extort cards, effects that trigger when I cast any spell, big things that get bigger by the amount of artifacts I have, with Tariel as an alt-wincon/curve topper of sorts. Typical mid-lategame turn is casting a 3-mana rock, extorting it four times, Leyline of Lightning, Firebrand Archer, Underhanded Designs, a few Searing Meditation triggers...

Omnath, Locus of the Roil: Can I kill people with just Omnath's first ability if done often and big enough?

Dragonlord Silumgar: Steal things, make said things artifacts, copy artifact effects. Multiple ways to madness just with those three categories of cards. Fill with your favourite things that play nice with the above.

Estrid the Masked land-animator. Attacking with creatures is so last week. Wherein Estrid fills in the rather unique role of being able to give a land Totem Armor before it's animated. Bonus for Planar Outburst being pretty legit good.

Athreos, God of Passage 3-cmc-or-less. Self-imposed restriction that led into a very, very spammy triggerfest of a deck that's ton of fun to pilot, where graveyard, hand and battlefield are loose definitions for the most part.
36 decks or so...
Show
Hide
Hope of Ghirapur Swordpile - Ghosty Blinky Anafenza - Nezahal - Big, Blue and HERE! - Gonti Can Afford It - Kazuul, Tyrant of Chandras - Polukranos, More Mana - Azor Takes Flight - A3OS System - Vona Life Pain - Angel With a Whip and Her Pet Fox - Tolsimir Wolf Crusade - Dragonlord Steal & Copy - Arjun, the Mad Flame - Tatyova's Mad Lands - Zegana's Simic - Chainer Does the Value Dance - Polukranos, Unchained - Running Thromok - Sydri's Loco-Inspiraion - Zedruu the Furyhearted - Estrid Land Animation - A Case of Tariel's Persistent F*ckery - Tail of the AristoCat Humanitarian - Karador, Tomb Operator - Tayam Re-Curses - Jeleva... does... things - Sidisi, Death is Served - Omnath, Blink and You're Missing - The Negatiweaver - Breya, Eggs, Breya'd Eggs - Ishai and Reyhan Dicepile - Kynaios and Tiro Landfall Impersonations - Tana and Ravos' Regal Gatekeeping - Yidris of the Chi-Ting Corporation - General Tazri's Utterly Amazing Allies

Gashnaw

Questing beast most likely goes overlooked as a possible commander but most of my deck looks at his "Damage cannot be prevented" ability

BaronCappuccino

Post by BaronCappuccino » 4 years ago

I put together a mono-red creatureless superfriends spellslinger deck helmed by flip Chandra, and it goldfishes well on Archidekt's playtester, but we'll see how it holds up against players in a week or two. The concept of a mono-red one creature or creatureless control deck has been something I've been trying to put together for months now, but I was fixated on Diaochan at the helm. Said decks always felt clunky because she's so reliant on having one of I think 10-12 equipments with shroud, indestructible or pro-red effects. I think superfriends is the control I never knew I wanted.

shandiris

Post by shandiris » 4 years ago

Probaly my Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder artifact shenanigans deck, with as many 1 cmc artifacts in there as possible. It plays some all stars like Avarice Totem, Bag of Holding, Witch's Oven and Glaring Spotlight. Some of these have actually been great (I've won multiple games of the back of Avarice Totem now).

People always need to read Mairsil, the Pretender at the start of the game, and then probaly a couple more times during the actual game. But it's not that unusual of a shell tbh. Playing a non-goodstuff or superfriends Child of Alara deck is somewhat unique in my experience.

https://archidekt.com/decks/409873#Mael ... _17-2-2020
https://archidekt.com/decks/407790#Cage ... _16-2-2020
https://archidekt.com/decks/307536#Sole ... _18-2-2020

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”