Need Help Finding Good Draw Engines for Alela EDH

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Card Slinger J » 4 years ago

I'm trying to find some good draw engines for my friends' Alela, Artful Provocateur Faerie Tribal EDH / Commander deck though unfortunately this is what I'm stuck with thus far:
I do have tutors that help compensate (sorta):
Thirst for Meaning might be pretty decent. Kinda drawing a blank here, any ideas?
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

It depends a bit on your friend's overall strategy. Most of these go best in an enchantress shell.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

This is my suite in alela. I would add a rhystic study if I had a spare.

I really like the immortal sun, as it acts like late game ramp and turns top into a ridiculous engine. And also makes your dudes big. And shots off superfriends which is usually pretty good against us since it's gonna run propaganda effects.

Ephara is a bit slow but very resilient and makes a faerie herself which is nice. I have a bunch of flash critters like spellstutter Sprite and spell queller, and flash enchantments like stasis snare and cast out, so sometimes snag extra triggers as well.
Last edited by pokken 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

How has no one mentioned Necropotence? Just fair warning: If you're using reanimator or other graveyard-based strategies, you have to get creative. Also, it can be a problem in three colors, so the real question is your mana base.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

Phyrexian Arena? Underworld Connections if you're on a budget.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Assuming that your friend's deck plans to have a surplus of 1/1 flying tokens, artifacts, and enchantments, I'll suggest the following: If you want to be less creature-dependent, stuff like Necropotence, Phyrexian Arena, Coercive Portal, and Trading Post can also work well. It really depends on whether you want consistent card draw vs. draw that scales with your creatures. Having some amount of pure card draw in addition to draw engines (like Fact or Fiction) may also be a good idea.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I've found military intelligence to be generally better than the bident/piracy effects just because it's less overwhelming and cheaper. So no one wants to kill it cos it's cheap and less oppressive. Same with the idea of ephara, god of the polis -- it's difficult to remove and not as oppressive. and sygg, river cutthroat similarly.

The piracy effects and kindred discovery are basically must answer effects that turn you into the arch enemy, and most alela decks want to play a bit slower than that.

That's just been my experience playing the deck vs. seeing other people play it -- they tend to drop bombs like discovery and then become public enemy #1. Alela would really like to patiently build up a board and then start oneshotting people who you've chipped down to 20-30, which doesn't happen when you start trying to draw 10 cards a turn off of kindred discovery.

I do think one of those effects is a good idea, but I wouldn't run 3.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”