Is there even a way to pilot Superfriends quickly?

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

So I have been occasionally piloting a list based on Trav_Ragnar's Sliver Queen list on Sally. It was previously more focused on control and ultimates, but near the end of his thread he was considering a rebuild more focused on using 'walkers to produce tokens gradually, without explosive ultimates. I rebuilt based on that recently. Especially without Doubling Season (it uses Parallel Lives and Anointed Procession for token-doubling), it seemed like it was playing much less oppressively.

But it still can take a while to perform my turn when I have a few on the board because of multiple ability activations (such as anything that draws plus discards like Dack Fayden's +1), as well as reading walls of text on cards in my hand. Not being as familiar with a different set of walkers (more than half were swapped out), it felt especially overwhelming to bring 5-6 to the battlefield all at once with Primevals' Glorious Rebirth.

Is there even a way to pilot Superfriends quickly? What can I improve about the player experience for both myself as the pilot and for my opponents?
  • Does practicing with the deck and memorizing the planeswalkers you're running in it help perform turns more promptly?
  • Are there any shortcuts for squashing/stacking actions into a more succinct sequence you've learned?
  • Is there any possibility of turns under 3 minutes when there's five planeswalkers on the board that you can activate twice, or is everybody's piloting experience of the, "sorry, this is going to take a little time" variety?
And I know some of you hate superfriends, and probably for good reasons. I don't want the thread to immediately degenerate into hating on superfriends, but if you have constructive suggestions on how to pilot to overcome the aspects of superfriends that you hate that are related to piloting then that's what I'm after. Even if you don't have a solution but can constructively identify the aspects of the player experience sitting opposite a superfriends deck that are unpleasant, discussion might yield some ideas.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

No, there is not a way to pilot super friends quickly past a certain point. The nature of it is that it has so many actions you need to take that often need to be sequenced carefully. Lots of the effects require doing things like revealing the top 4 and picking one.

It's kind of like playing normal magic except you cast X number of additional spells per turn where X is the number of walkers (sometimes x2 or x3). Most sequences in EDH involve 2-3 spells in a turn outside of game winning turns.

Adding proliferate themes and token doubling just means more dice, more activations, more planning of sequencing.

Generally speaking I think it is a busted archetype that monopolizes gametime and there's no way to do it without being a huge time sink.

The best thing you can do is to just go fast and not focus on maximizing your returns - let yourself make mistakes and identify them in retrospect so you can play faster. But even the fastest players are going to be slow at superfriends.

Practicing goldfishing in my experience does not really prepare you to play fast beyond a certain baseline competency. You have to actually speed up in live gameplay.

--------------------------------------------------------------

My personal issue with the archetype is just about monopolizing game actions. Once other players cast cards they are generally either providing static effects or in the graveyard. Walkers continue to require headspace and time until they are killed.

When you combine lots of game actions with a deck that is inclined to try to stall other people's development you get a game where you're taking all the actions and you're likely to win slowly as well.

One thing you can do that i forgot to mention is play an explosive wincon that kills the table. pathbreaker ibex or craterhoof behemoth off of a Nahiri ultimate closes the game really fast with tokens. Make sure you are running enough ways to just explode rather than bashing people for 15/turn or whatever.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

I think you can use shortcuts and organize your board to vastly increase the speed of play

Groups planeswalkers in this way:
1. Those that require decisions or that give you new information
2. Those that opponents may respond to
3. Those that just have a small effect (make a token, gain life, etc)

When it is your turn, make your decisions, announce your plans to activate groups 2 and 3, and check for responses.
Once all responses are done, you can announce the end of your turn and start arranging dice, making tokens, etc.

Organizing the board will help your opponents decide what needs to be responded to and help you take actions like "Activate these 3 token makers". I find it slow and confusing when people start going all over the board, and I can't remember which ones have been activated.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Nope. (Hell, my Superfriends decks end up looking like Stax. Part of that's because every deck looks like Stax, but part of it's because sometimes I act more like the Legion of Doom.)
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Sort of. Not quickly, but with more clarity for sure. The thing is that given all the different abilities you'll get a matrix of decision points and not only deciding on which ones but also the order is going to be unique every turn.

But with more game exposure you will get faster. I mean I can literally name all the ability of planeswalkers' in my decks without having to read the cards, and this just is from playing them so much.
However I just started playing a new deck that has some planeswalkers' that I don't often play, and I absolutely find myself having to read some of the abilities each time I play them.
So I can say that you'll have something like a 10-20 game exposure and after that you'll find yourself not having to re-read cards each time, which will help with speed.

I do find myself doing some elements more automatically especially when it comes to prioritizing draw. Often that is the most important starting point is which of your walkers give you "draw", which means that you have more information to work with.
Then mana is also the other major factor. Some planeswalkers' offer both right, so you've got to really think through which abilities to use.

However I just looked at Trav list and there are not a lot of the draw/mana walkers, so it's not that difficult a build to pilot with some amount of practice in my opinion.
Make tokens/buffs last as drawing cards that influence their generation is a factor. Like you might draw removal like Austere Command and want to create tokens after casting it (say if you destroy cmc 3 or less). Or you draw a token doubler like Anointed Procession.

As Dunharrow pointed out you can order the walkers in a way that can help you.
I personally would order left to right in this manner (specifically for Trav list).
1.) Does walker have "draw"?
2.) Can walker provide mana?
3.) Does planeswalker have removal/protection?
4.) Can it produce tokens?
5.) Can it provide buffs to either tokens or walkers?

So from Trav list, here is an example of how I'd order these example walkers from left to right.

Chandra, Torch of Defiance has draw, mana and removal so it going to be the first port of call. Vraska, Golgari Queen has draw and removal so is another that you need to establish early as to which mode you want.
Nissa, Voice of Zendikar does have draw, but if you are far away from using that ability then you can order it to basically ignore that ability.

Now you can focus on removal, Elspeth Tirel, Elspeth, Sun's Champion, Chandra, Torch of Defiance, Vraska, Golgari Queen.
Then token generation, Elspeth, Sun's Champion, Elspeth Tirel, Nissa, Voice of Zendikar.
Then finally buffs, Elspeth, Sun's Champion and Nissa, Voice of Zendikar. Possibly Elspeth Tirel with the life gain (a life gain "buff").

The reason to leave buffs to last is just to make sure that you cast/produce your tokens and planewalkers first so that you can get probably the most benefits.

This is how I'd tackle the issue of abilities and order in at least a virtual sense before I started actually using the walkers. But even though you might have an order for looking at them, it still might not be how you actually activate them in order.
So even though removal/protection is 3rd in the order of figuring out what you can do, you might not use removal at all, as you figure out token generation is going to be the better option for moving forward.

If you want more help with virtual ordering, then give me example lists of walkers (on the board), and I'll order them in the way I think would help you most and give reasons.

If you want to make sure you are clear on which planeswalkers you've used in a turn, then you can just tap them like you would for mana, to represent to yourself and the table which have been used. If opponents complain about the tap (only dickheads would enforce being not "legal"), then just tilt them at 45 degrees or turn them upside down as I way to tell you which have been used. Once you get other cards that give you additional uses like Oath of Teferi and The Chain Veil, then this is even more helpful, and you can just keep rotating the card for each use. That's why I use the tap method, as turning upside down means that you can't represent multiple uses if you get those. Just get a method that works for you to physically show use, as there is nothing worse then confusing yourself about which you have used, and missing out on activation's for the turn altogether, which can happen when you've got a full plate.

lyonhaert

[mention]darrenhabib[/mention]: I already had Dack Fayden on the board, and then Rebirth brought out: If I'd cast Oath instead of pitching it to Dack's +1 and casting Rebirth I probably could have pitched another 4-6 walkers and cast Rebirth the next turn. I'm pretty sure Ajani, the Greathearted, Nissa, Voice of Zendikar, Sarkhan Vol, and Sorin, Lord of Innistrad were in my hand still.

So by what you suggested, for the actual set of 5 it might be (left to right): Edit: Also, 90 degree tapping could get confusing because Honor-Worn Shaku, but I'll figure something out.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 4 years ago

I only play superfriends on modo, which tracks the counters and permanents for you, so my experience is based only on that, but for me I think it can be played reasonably quickly. When I play a superfriends deck, I usually only use as much clock as any of my opponents. Obviously not having to physically track counters and manage permanents and all that saves time, as it's simply a matter of executing a few clicks per turn, and tutoring is MUCH faster. Other than that, I find that paying careful attention during your opponents turns and planning your turn as the round cycles also helps a lot. With practice, you should be able to know exactly what abilities your going to use and the order you'll activate them in before you untap on most turns, with some minor to moderate adjustments on the rest. It's certainly more mentally taxing than most other archetypes to play quickly without making mistakes. The exception is when you have the Chain Veil or similar out, because that just cranks up the number of options. Its still generally an obnoxious archetype for other reasons, so I don't play it as much anymore (with my Djeru seeing more action than my 5 color because it doesn't fall into the typical pitfalls of the archetype). Cheating them out with Narset, constant proliferate with Atraxa, and the nonsense that happens when you have doubling season or chain veil or Oath of Teferi are all annoying.

darrenhabib

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
darrenhabib: I already had Dack Fayden on the board, and then Rebirth brought out: If I'd cast Oath instead of pitching it to Dack's +1 and casting Rebirth I probably could have pitched another 4-6 walkers and cast Rebirth the next turn. I'm pretty sure Ajani, the Greathearted, Nissa, Voice of Zendikar, Sarkhan Vol, and Sorin, Lord of Innistrad were in my hand still.

So by what you suggested, for the actual set of 5 it might be (left to right): Edit: Also, 90 degree tapping could get confusing because Honor-Worn Shaku, but I'll figure something out.
Well never a dull decision making process when you get a fist full of planeswalkers all at once. Listen you'll never get a more complicated turn than this, so taking a long time is absolutely fine. Trust me I've seen people play long turns on much, much less decision making than what's going on here, so don't be put off by the complexity and making the table wait.

I would order the Garruk, Cursed Huntsman 3rd as it does have the draw element and technically I'd swap Dack and Teferi to the number one and two spots. The reason is that draw is a little better than filtering, particularly when it comes to actually using the walkers abilities in that order. If that makes sense if you use Teferi draw first, then Dacks filtering, you'll have one additional card to choose for the discard.

Is draw important this turn? Well you've already established that you have Ajani, the Greathearted, Nissa, Voice of Zendikar, Sarkhan Vol, and Sorin, Lord of Innistrad in hand, so sounds like you already have plenty of action.

So mana then becomes the next important factor. I'm assuming that you are not going to have much left over from the Primevals' Glorious Rebirth?
You can activate Garruk Wildspeaker twice (with Oath) so you'll get at least 4 mana, but maybe more depending on lands (I see Gaea's Cradle in that list).
Teferi, Hero of Dominaria can only give you additional mana at end of turn, and there are only literally 2 instants in that deck, so not really a factor.

So given that you can only produce 4 mana (let's say) will any these other planeswalkers in hand Ajani, the Greathearted, Nissa, Voice of Zendikar, Sarkhan Vol, or Sorin, Lord of Innistrad provide great additional value?
Probably yes with the Oath of Teferi in play, so you might as well factor one of these in to the decision tree. Yah more complexity :P And unfortunately you've got to keep them all in mind. But none of them provide draw or mana, so at least we can rule them out of the initial activation's.
Just at this stage I'd hallmark in my head that Ajani, the Greathearted ability to give each of your planeswalker two additional loyalty counters are going to be a huge factor and would any "ultimates" be possible? Might as well do the math at this stage and only Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury [-6], Garruk, Cursed Huntsman [-6], Dack Fayden [-6].
Are these good? We've already established that draw is not the most important this turn, so I wouldn't hurry the Freyalise.
Garruk, Cursed Huntsman emblem could be good for buff/blocker potential. Dack Fayden emblem looks to be non-exist as far as interaction with this deck.

But let's move onto removal/protection now. Obviously protecting your planeswalkers is the name of the Superfriends game, so what threats might be needed to be dealt with? You can do a quick count of potential token generation to cover ground attacks.
Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury 2x 1/1, Garruk Wildspeaker 2x 3/3, Garruk, Cursed Huntsman 4x 2/2, Garruk Relentless 2x 2/2. That's a potential 10 tokens, which is pretty great for protection (normally).

Do you need to deal with evasion (flying or other?). Or some other permanent which is holding you back?
If you do then that's why removal is important to factor in next in your decision tree.
You have that Teferi, Hero of Dominaria [-3] which can deal with any permanent.
Dack Fayden can steal an artifact (unless you've had in play for longer).
Garruk, Cursed Huntsman can get rid of one creature (starting loyalty prevent using twice).
Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury can get rid of one artifacts/enchantments (starting loyalty prevent using twice).
Garruk Relentless to a lesser extent with the 3 damage.

Now going back to the Ajani, the Greathearted you can factor in two additional loyalty counters, which will mean that you can use each of those removal abilities twice.

Once you are happy that with some number of removal you can protect your board, the mix between tokens will get you there.

Finally there are the buffs and what does this do for you? Getting a Garruk, Cursed Huntsman emblem and/or Ajani, the Greathearted counters will mean that your tokens will be more like 6/6 - 8/8 which suddenly prevent any sort of attacking.

Having said this there is in fact the decision tree of "can you provide a lethal attack?". Maybe to one or even two opponents? Sometimes the best defense is a good offence (kill them before they can swing in with creatures). Sarkhan Vol can provide haste to make this viable.
Given that you have to use Garruk Wildspeaker to provide the mana, which means you can't use Ajani, the Greathearted to help, as you've used the mana to cast Sarkhan Vol instead.
This also means no Garruk, Cursed Huntsman emblem, so you'd have to say that it's going to be unlikely.

Right so I've gone over most of the virtual decisions, time to put them into practice. Start with the draw.
1.) Did you need to use Teferi, Hero of Dominaria [-3] for the removal twice in the turn (Ajani, the Greathearted would allow this)? If not use it to draw at least one card or two if you don't need the removal at all.
2.) Did you need to use Garruk, Cursed Huntsman [-3] on a creature? If so use it now so you get the draw.
3.) Did you need to use Dack Fayden [-2] on an artifact? If not then use the draw.

So now that you might have more cards in hand you are going to have to reanalyze the broad plan, but let's just say that there is no new information to help.

Let's move onto the mana. Did you decide on casting another card from hand? I've personally factored in the Ajani, the Greathearted as the best play. However Ajani, the Greathearted is a buff card, so it could be cast later. You have to weigh up between it getting countered as you cast (which can ruin everything), or removed once it hits the board, so you'd only get one activation. But honestly Primevals' Glorious Rebirth would have been countered first, and any removal is probably going to target one of the other walkers onboard already.

4.) Use Garruk Wildspeaker [+1] (twice) to cast Ajani, the Greathearted.

Removal should be done next, as opponents might have ways to protect their resources at instant speed, and this might effect your plans.
5.) Use Garruk, Cursed Huntsman, Teferi, Hero of Dominaria, Dack Fayden, Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury, Dack Fayden as need be for their removal.

If you ended up wanting to use Ajani, the Greathearted ability to put loyalty counters on planeswalker and tokens first so that you can use walker abilities twice, then you'd need to create your tokens first. This is what I mean by your virtual order to help you might end up differently to how you actually order them, but as long as you already know what you are doing for the turn, you can figure out correct order.

You will have to make your decision between which tokens and any buffs, depending on how you need to protect the board?

Create your tokens.
6.) I figure with the +2/+2 you'd get from Ajani, the Greathearted [-2] (twice) that your tokens are probably going to be big enough to deter most attacks.
Let's say you ended up with Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury [+2] 1x 1/1, Garruk, Cursed Huntsman [0] 2x 2/2, Garruk Relentless [0] 2x 2/2, giving you 5 creatures with 3/3 or 4/4 stats. You've used some number of removal to get rid of the threats that would cause you problems as well.

Finally buffs.
7.) Ajani, the Greathearted [-2] (twice).

Phew. Now it's not as simply as that, you might want to plan for the next turn as well. What sort of loyalty your planeswalkers end up with might influence your decisions.
But we've already seen how complex that was, and the fact is that anything can happen in between turns, so sometimes you can just over think future plans, and in my opinion go with what you can do at that stage given what you know. You should be so well set up that going for "maximum" future plays can often backfire.

The example you stated with waiting a turn to cast Rebirth is a classic example of maybe getting a higher reward for being patient. But at the same time you miss out on an entire turn worth of double planeswalker activation's which I feel is just as much value if not more, than waiting a whole turn to get some additional walkers into play. After all you get to cast those planeswalkers you still have in hand next turn potentially as well. You made the correct play.

An example of trying to future proof with the setup that I could think of is with focusing on Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury [-6] on the next turn. Getting say 8x green tokens once you've gotten to your next turn means refilling your hand. With Ajani, the Greathearted loyalty you should be able to do this.

You might also be trying to factor in getting to Teferi [-8] emblem on the next turn. In a perfect world you can do this. But you are in such a dominant position that if the safer play is to use his [-3] on something, then you should absolutely go for the safer play. Chances are somebody will be able to push some damage/removal on your setup.

The other future turn proofing is going back to what I was saying about attacks, if you've been able to retain your board, you've probably got lethal on a couple of opponents (if not all).
Between Garruk, Cursed Huntsman [-6] emblem and Garruk Wildspeaker [-4] AND also casting Sarkhan Vol in the next turn, you'll have something like 9x 10/10 creatures with haste and trample. That's 90 power. Add Nissa to the mix to give additional +2/+2 to each creature.

Actually I'm kind of keen to hear how you did sequence if you can remember and how the following turn played out if you can remember some details? Not exactly but just a little about your opponents being able to interact with you.
Last edited by darrenhabib 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

image.png
That's some helpful analysis D. But good lord.

I will agree that was a particularly complex turn and almost anyone would excuse it being that way because of the bomb play. It's not usually *that* complicated.

lyonhaert

[mention]darrenhabib[/mention] :laugh:
Before I continue reading that, quoting, and replying, allow me to dissuade you from referring to Trav's list since I don't have: ABUR duals, Gaea's Cradle, The Abyss, Imperial Seal, Capture of Jingzhou, Mana Crypt, Jace, the Mind Sculptor (should have kept that one maybe), Wrenn and Six, Oko, Thief of Crowns, or even Humility.

I don't have the other extra-turn spells either, but those aren't because of money. Neither is Humility, really, I just want to avoid going that route if possible. This is my actual list, from the very end of that thread:
my list
Show
Hide
Decklist

Commander (1)

Creature (2)

Approximate Total Cost:

Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

lyonhaert

That's a decent amount of through process for me to go over and practice. Thanks.
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
Actually I'm kind of keen to hear how you did sequence if you can remember and how the following turn played out if you can remember some details? Not exactly but just a little about your opponents being able to interact with you.
Yeah, let's see what I remember.

My opponents were piloting Firesong and Sunspeaker burn, and Atraxa, Praetors' Voice infect. F&S was at 5 poison, I was at 3. I was at 28 life, F&S at 37 I think, and maybe Atraxa was at 27? I think I had 2-3 lands untapped after casting Rebirth -- it was definitely late-game and we all had plenty of mana, though F&S was farthest ahead since Atraxa and I missed a few drops and F&S was flooded (hand full of lands at the end of the game). F&S had also earlier overloaded Vandalblast to take out some mana rocks (shakes fist at the sky).

I'm pretty sure I used removal against Atraxa's Hand of the Praetors wearing a Traveler's Cloak that could hit either of us (it may have been against Atraxa herself -- we did kill her a few times). I also used removal against F&S's Fire Servant but not their Furnace of Rath (I thought, extra combat damage for my tokens). I know I used Teferi's -3 and Huntsman's -3 but mistargeting things, which I'll get to. Also using their +2 and 0, respectively for draw and 2 wolves. Wildspeaker made a 3/3 and untapped two lands, Freyalise made two elves (oops), Relentless flipped and made a deathtouch wolf (not a great play, but I was planning toward deathtouch + trample).

I did not get another turn. I had used Teferi to tuck the Fire Servant and they did Revitalize with F&S in play at the end of my turn, drawing extra from Well of Lost Dreams (F&S's 3 damage went to something on Atraxa's side, I think). But they quickly redrew Fire Servant, recast it on their turn and then did Banefire for X=7 targeting me for a total of 28 damage and I was dead.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

darrenhabib

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
That's a decent amount of through process for me to go over and practice. Thanks.
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah, let's see what I remember.

My opponents were piloting Firesong and Sunspeaker burn, and Atraxa, Praetors' Voice infect. F&S was at 5 poison, I was at 3. I was at 28 life, F&S at 37 I think, and maybe Atraxa was at 27? I think I had 2-3 lands untapped after casting Rebirth -- it was definitely late-game and we all had plenty of mana, though F&S was farthest ahead since Atraxa and I missed a few drops and F&S was flooded (hand full of lands at the end of the game). F&S had also earlier overloaded Vandalblast to take out some mana rocks (shakes fist at the sky).

I'm pretty sure I used removal against Atraxa's Hand of the Praetors wearing a Traveler's Cloak that could hit either of us (it may have been against Atraxa herself -- we did kill her a few times). I also used removal against F&S's Fire Servant but not their Furnace of Rath (I thought, extra combat damage for my tokens). I know I used Teferi's -3 and Huntsman's -3 but mistargeting things, which I'll get to. Also using their +2 and 0, respectively for draw and 2 wolves. Wildspeaker made a 3/3 and untapped two lands, Freyalise made two elves (oops), Relentless flipped and made a deathtouch wolf (not a great play, but I was planning toward deathtouch + trample).

I did not get another turn. I had used Teferi to tuck the Fire Servant and they did Revitalize with F&S in play at the end of my turn, drawing extra from Well of Lost Dreams (F&S's 3 damage went to something on Atraxa's side, I think). But they quickly redrew Fire Servant, recast it on their turn and then did Banefire for X=7 targeting me for a total of 28 damage and I was dead.
Interestingly with Furnace of Rath in play the offensive plan could have been the way to go.

If you had two mana spare then you can cast Sarkhan Vol just off one Garruk Wildspeaker [+1] activation, which then would allow you to use his [-4] for the +3/+3 and trample.

So that's Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury 2x 1/1, Garruk, Cursed Huntsman 4x 2/2, Garruk Relentless 2x 2/2.
They all get +2/+2 and haste from Sarkhan Vol and +3/+3 and trample from Garruk Wildspeaker.
So that's 2x 6/6 + 4x 7/7 + 2x 7/7 = 12+28+14= 54 power, which means 108 total damage with the Furnace of Rath. Remember that's trample as well, so unless your opponents had a lot of blockers, that was probably the play this game for the board state.
[EDIT]
Also I'm not particularly quick at math, so figuring out totals like this to make final decisions is hard (for me) in my head alone. So I tend to just be vocal about some potential decisions to get others to help out (with the addition). I will literally vocalize a particular line to see if it can work out, and sure you ruin the element of surprise, but at the end of the day trying to work out sums in your head can be overwhelming when you have so many other things to think about.
Plus this gives the rest of the table something to do, so the turn doesn't seem to be as long. Up to individuals (and playgroup) on this, but if you can get other to do the math for you while you ponder on other decision's then it's better for everyone.
If you play with a bunch of a-holes who don't want to help out with some semantics then it's still better to just vocalize your potential intent and go through the process of "what if I produced X tokens and then gave then +Y/+Z buffs", so that the turn still doesn't seem as long, as at least they know you are working through some steps in a clear manner.

Listen this just clarifies just how many decisions can be made within a Superfriends deck and why you should enjoy the challenge of these types of particular turns. But as long as you have more set guidelines to give yourself to not get overwhelmed by decision making, it will get easier over time and practice/repetition will make you a much better player.
As I've shown you need to take bunch of lines into consideration, rather than just looking at each planeswalker on their own, which is how a lot of people would approach it. Often removal is their first port of call, and they just want to deal with biggest threats first and then think about what they can do with the other planeswalkers after they have done this. This is a big no-no.
Make sure you go through the virtual steps first, unlocking potential draw, unlocking potential mana (so you can cast more spells), etc, first and you will find combinations that work in a much more unified way.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

I don't have superfriends experience, as the archetype lends itself to copious amounts of sweeping and slow advantage grinding. This is something that's a bit of a pet peeve of mine, so seeing how I don't like that done to me I wouldn't do it to others either :P That said, I've always had a super basic approach to walkers - is there a good reason for me to use something that isn't just the basic plus this turn? Having to actively justify going for a minus tends to speed up proceedings quite a bit. The aforementioned planning things out in other people's turns is general good practice for swift execution, and is also recommended.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

lyonhaert

Thanks, everybody. Overall, I've got a lot to work on, and probably some changes to make to the list.
  • Definitely not adding any proliferate now.
  • Honor-Worn Shaku could end up being a sink for time and physical manipulation that could be replaced with another rock, or Crucible.
  • Rings of Brighthearth might not have enough mana available to sink into it to use it often, though it could have some key moments with certain removal, draw, and buffs.
  • I could probably run one less wipe, probably live without Torpor Orb, and probably replace Savor the Moment but I'll still test that one.
Sunbird's Invocation, Maelstrom Wanderer, or Maelstrom Nexus could provide some boosts to board development while maintaining variance. Same for Repeated Reverberation in place of Rings for one (or two) blow-out turns. I've got a couple Oaths and some planeswalkers to revisit for consideration, too.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Pip_Maxwell

Post by Pip_Maxwell » 4 years ago

If you have played one, basically treat it like one of those worker placement board games. Also in that same area is the CIV games and Economy management video games. At least that is how I view the planeswalkers. As you got all these little workers who each need an action done for them. The more you understand the nuance of your deck and its hurdles, the better and more quickly you can assess a situation.

lyonhaert

Pip_Maxwell wrote:
4 years ago
If you have played one, basically treat it like one of those worker placement board games.
I'm familiar with Lords of Waterdeep and Scythe, so this analogy works. :grin:
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

hyalopterouslemur

What I don't get is people thinking you can play control where the majority of your nonland cards are in the 4 and 5 slots fast

lyonhaert

Don't think we're talking about the same kind of fast.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

hyalopterouslemur

Well, most Superfriends decks are about using your 'walkers to produce tokens (or, to a lesser extent, burn). There's no way around that slow, grindy strategy if you're playing Superfriends.

lyonhaert

Indeed.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 4 years ago

In superfriends you will never reach a point in which it is a "fast turn" mainly due to having walkers out. Each one can perform an action and you have to do it.

That said, there are many walkers who can do things faster. Such as adding Mana or drawing a single card. Tapping or tapping a permanent. These are fast and can do things quickly. Even with 3 or 4 you can do them all in seconds it's the more complex ones you have to worry about. And you also want to make sure they all activate each turn.

I would still run doubling season and also get a primal vigor as they double your tokens as well. I would love to pay 1, and instead of queen giving me one token, instead she gives me 16.

lyonhaert

Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
That said, there are many walkers who can do things faster. Such as adding Mana or drawing a single card. Tapping or tapping a permanent. These are fast and can do things quickly. Even with 3 or 4 you can do them all in seconds it's the more complex ones you have to worry about. And you also want to make sure they all activate each turn.
I could definitely use that to guide my choice of walkers.
Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
I would still run doubling season and also get a primal vigor as they double your tokens as well. I would love to pay 1, and instead of queen giving me one token, instead she gives me 16.
My Primal Vigor is around somewhere and I could possibly throw that in alongside Anointed Procession and Parallel Lives, but Doubling Season is living elsewhere because I don't want to be able to immediately ult the walkers when they hit the battlefield.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

hyalopterouslemur

Just remember, Primal Vigor doesn't double your starting loyalty.

lyonhaert

Indeed.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena