EDHREC All-Time Top Commanders by Timeline

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah, I dig that. It's how I've managed my theme decks too - because what you're after is more of a vibe/character, most stuff won't fit perfectly and is as a consequence not even considered.
If you really wanna commit to it, my thread has a white border Korvold I had commissioned to match the rest of the deck. Still foiled too, which is kinda weird lol.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah, I dig that. It's how I've managed my theme decks too - because what you're after is more of a vibe/character, most stuff won't fit perfectly and is as a consequence not even considered.
If you really wanna commit to it, my thread has a white border Korvold I had commissioned to match the rest of the deck. Still foiled too, which is kinda weird lol.
I've never got an alter before tbh. There is a pretty sweet piece of existing art I could use for Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder but....money.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Yeah man it can get pricey. I've got....oh geez, think around 12 in Kari Zev/Kairi Sane now. It wasn't cheap - but super worth it, to me. Every signature card now has it's own story and significance. And, people remember that deck for the dedication put into it.

I'd put it up against anything. (When I get around to getting all the alters photographed, I'll post it here).

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
I think I briefly saw Krenko show up on the chart near the bottom briefly. Its funny how its heavily 3+ color decks and almost exclusively multicolored decks.
Ever since partners there's almost no reason to build a 1 or 2 color deck anymore. They're significantly better than most of the alternatives. Nothing bant compares with thrasios, triton hero + whomever, nothing esper compares to tymna the weaver + whomever.

Tymna the weaver is probably the most constraining from a deckbuilding perspective because she juts does everything I like to do better than every other color; I've considered rebuilding Ephara as Tymna+ a few times even because she just does Ephara better than Ephara in several ways.

It's not something I like about the last 5 years.

Way too many 4c decks, and the ridiculously overpowered 5c legends they've been printing hasn't helped either (looking at you golos, tireless pilgrim.
If you are looking to be optimal that is true. There are benefits to not being multicolored though too, they just don't put as much focus into those things unfortunately (probably mostly because you can see the preference towards multicolored).

I personally enjoy the struggle of the pros and cons of a mono colored deck. The cheap landbase is nice too.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Yep I still prefer 2 and 3c mostly. I can't really get into most 4 and monocolor decks invariably bore me. It's something I really like about golos design. Despite being an overpowered 5c legend he is a really cool mono color and 2 color. Love how he breaks the hybrid rule too.

not-a-cube

Post by not-a-cube » 4 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
I won't lie, a lot of the commanders I've run in the past we're in the race - Meren, Narset, Sydri, and I still run Yidris, but it's a weirdo vorthos enchantress build based on a book you've probably never heard of so it's still totally hipster lol
I made an account because i love Malazan book of the fallen, i've seen your Raest and Shadowthrone decks back on salvation, I love it.
EDH Decks:
Queen Marchesa
Chainer, Dementia Master
Will Kenrith
Bruna, the fading light

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

not-a-cube wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
I won't lie, a lot of the commanders I've run in the past we're in the race - Meren, Narset, Sydri, and I still run Yidris, but it's a weirdo vorthos enchantress build based on a book you've probably never heard of so it's still totally hipster lol
I made an account because i love Malazan book of the fallen, i've seen your Raest and Shadowthrone decks back on salvation, I love it.
Ha, thanks! For what it's worth I was totally being facetious above. Malazan is well enough known, great series if you have the patience for a hefty read.

I should really publish those lists here at some point when I have some spare time. The Yidris one is particularly fun.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”