EDHREC All-Time Top Commanders by Timeline

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

If you want to see something really cool somebody has done a timeline graph of the EDHREC top commanders through the years.

https://app.flourish.studio/visualisation/941833/

Serenade
UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Yeah, that was awesome.

*Minor spoiler*
Gosh, we love tri/quad-colored legends.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 4 years ago

Oloro: I'm the champion here
4 colored commanders releases
Oloro: Why do i hear boss music?

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

That was cool to watch. The rise of Meren was dramatic!

It is a little gross how many Atraxa decks are out there, but hey, none of the commanders I run are anywhere near the top. God, I'm a hipster.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago

It is a little gross how many Atraxa decks are out there, but hey, none of the commanders I run are anywhere near the top. God, I'm a hipster.
Yeah it was. She shot up there for a hot minute. I've been meaning to rework my version of her, too...

I play a few of the rising stars that were seen in there, but not many. Kaalia and Narset would be the major ones. I'm waving at you from a block behind on the hipster street, lol.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

toctheyounger

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago

Yeah it was. She shot up there for a hot minute. I've been meaning to rework my version of her, too...

I play a few of the rising stars that were seen in there, but not many. Kaalia and Narset would be the major ones. I'm waving at you from a block behind on the hipster street, lol.
I won't lie, a lot of the commanders I've run in the past we're in the race - Meren, Narset, Sydri, and I still run Yidris, but it's a weirdo vorthos enchantress build based on a book you've probably never heard of so it's still totally hipster lol

It's weird though I don't feel like this is at all representative of what I see game to game. It's been a minute since I played against Atraxa.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

Um...something is wrong with this data. That or I'm misinterpreting something. Atraxa gets up to over 7K at the end, but there are only a little over 3K atraxa decks on edhrec,,,?

Anyway, you do have to remember just how many total commanders there are out there. Sure, Atraxa is the most popular, but the total number of decks out there dwarfs the number of atraxa decks. There are 3113 Atraxa decks on EDHrec, but there are 230,764 total decks, so she's only the commander of 1.35% of all the decks out there. If you're playing 4-player games and never playing her yourself, you'd only expect to see her about once out of every twenty games.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

toctheyounger

Yeah I know. I said it was weird, I guess I should've used the word interesting; interesting insofar as the popularity of these commanders on that site isn't representative at all of any given meta. Definitely not mine at any rate, which isn't really a meta at all, just a guy who plays games online against whoever is on at the time.

BounceBurnBuff

Post by BounceBurnBuff » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Um...something is wrong with this data. That or I'm misinterpreting something. Atraxa gets up to over 7K at the end, but there are only a little over 3K atraxa decks on edhrec,,,?

Anyway, you do have to remember just how many total commanders there are out there. Sure, Atraxa is the most popular, but the total number of decks out there dwarfs the number of atraxa decks. There are 3113 Atraxa decks on EDHrec, but there are 230,764 total decks, so she's only the commander of 1.35% of all the decks out there. If you're playing 4-player games and never playing her yourself, you'd only expect to see her about once out of every twenty games.

Whilst they still own the data (they had to for this to exist) they purged publicly available decks that were older than 2 years a while back, and again reccently. Might explain the difference.

It is interesting to see how few of the top commanders I run or come up against. They aren't "active" decks at least in my meta, but 4 of them are run by one guy in our group in Breya, Kess, Teysa and Nekusar. The only commander I have on here is Golos, but I've run others in the past. My addiction to Partner pairings keeps me clear of this lol.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

I've only run OG Kaalia of the popular ones, though I guess I'm a hanger on from when Alesha started to get big before she tapered off.

I suspect my Korvold will be one of the top ones again though. He's quite strong.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

That certainly is an interesting visual, but since it shows lifetime decks, I feel it's of little use. I saw an interesting visualization of top esports by prize money, but it adjusted over the last 2 year or 1 year period, so you got to see the rise and fall of certain games.

Lifetime EDH decks is interesting, but current decks would be more interesting - essentially taking the data of decks that have been created or modified within the last year or so. Heck, even just the decks created within the last year would be interesting to see the rise and fall of interest.

3drinks

bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
That certainly is an interesting visual, but since it shows lifetime decks, I feel it's of little use. I saw an interesting visualization of top esports by prize money, but it adjusted over the last 2 year or 1 year period, so you got to see the rise and fall of certain games.

Lifetime EDH decks is interesting, but current decks would be more interesting - essentially taking the data of decks that have been created or modified within the last year or so. Heck, even just the decks created within the last year would be interesting to see the rise and fall of interest.
They did adjust it by 2 year, 1 year, 6 months, and even 1 month (which was the list volatile by nature). I listened to the podcast itself (didn't see the visual), but I listen to the edhrecast every week.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago

Same! The commanders that speak to me generally aren't very popular. I did recently build a Yarok, the Desecrated deck, though, because I really love that effect.

Anyway, has anyone at EDHrec ever addressed the fact that they don't get data from Tappedout? That seems like a big, if not the biggest deckbuilding website out there.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

BounceBurnBuff

Post by BounceBurnBuff » 4 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Anyway, has anyone at EDHrec ever addressed the fact that they don't get data from Tappedout? That seems like a big, if not the biggest deckbuilding website out there.
They've said on their podcast that the Tappedout guys believed it would add an unnecessary amount of strain to their servers to pull the data constantly, so its more their end than anything.

toctheyounger

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago

Same! The commanders that speak to me generally aren't very popular. I did recently build a Yarok, the Desecrated deck, though, because I really love that effect.
I guess for me it's that I like a commander that doesn't have an obvious build path, or has options. All of my favourite decks I've built, Nissa, Glissa, Varina could go down multiple paths. I tend to build pretty midrangey, so I guess it makes sense I'd choose that sort of commander.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

BounceBurnBuff wrote:
4 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
They've said on their podcast that the Tappedout guys believed it would add an unnecessary amount of strain to their servers to pull the data constantly, so its more their end than anything.
Expanding on this, EDHREC used to pull data from Tappedout and was asked to stop by Tappedout for this reason.

If anyone wants to see the other plots they made, here you go:
Top Commanders, Six Month Window
Top Commanders, One Month Window (there's a three month one out there somewhere, but the link for it that I have also goes to the one month)
Data Decay, All Time
Data Decay, Three Month Window
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago

I guess for me it's that I like a commander that doesn't have an obvious build path, or has options. All of my favourite decks I've built, Nissa, Glissa, Varina could go down multiple paths. I tend to build pretty midrangey, so I guess it makes sense I'd choose that sort of commander.
I can identify. I have to admit to at least a little bit of hipster contrarianism though. Two of my favorite commanders, Merieke Ri Berit and Lord of Tresserhorn, are strange cards from Ice Age and Alliances, respectively. I kind of like the quizzical looks they get, or the fact that people have to read them multiple times. Normally though, a commander will just strike me as cool, and I'll get the itch to build around it. There are no real criteria, I just follow the itch when it happens. I try to avoid EDHrec until I'm done with the first draft though.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

toctheyounger

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago

I can identify. I have to admit to at least a little bit of hipster contrarianism though. Two of my favorite commanders, Merieke Ri Berit and Lord of Tresserhorn, are strange cards from Ice Age and Alliances, respectively. I kind of like the quizzical looks they get, or the fact that people have to read them multiple times. Normally though, a commander will just strike me as cool, and I'll get the itch to build around it. There are no real criteria, I just follow the itch when it happens. I try to avoid EDHrec until I'm done with the first draft though.
Oh I like both of those. The lord has a tangible downside to build around which makes it interesting, and Merieke is pretty strong but still scales to what's on the table so not unfair.

I do the same to some extent, but what I like gets fairly specific. I'm building Korvold atm, but I'm building him around the restriction of only my own stuff sacrificing - no edicts or fleshbags. No food chain either.

It's actually pretty rare for me to find anything I didn't already consider on edhrec, so it's like the very last place I look. To me it seems like that's inherent in how they collect data from lists - what you get is what's shown up in the most lists and similar, so it makes sense that your really not likely to see any hidden gems or anything really niche, and most of what does show up I could've picked (or did already) anyway.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
If anyone wants to see the other plots they made, here you go:
Top Commanders, Six Month Window
Top Commanders, One Month Window (there's a three month one out there somewhere, but the link for it that I have also goes to the one month)
Data Decay, All Time
Data Decay, Three Month Window
That's more what I wanted to see.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

I think I briefly saw Krenko show up on the chart near the bottom briefly. Its funny how its heavily 3+ color decks and almost exclusively multicolored decks.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
I think I briefly saw Krenko show up on the chart near the bottom briefly. Its funny how its heavily 3+ color decks and almost exclusively multicolored decks.
Ever since partners there's almost no reason to build a 1 or 2 color deck anymore. They're significantly better than most of the alternatives. Nothing bant compares with thrasios, triton hero + whomever, nothing esper compares to tymna the weaver + whomever.

Tymna the weaver is probably the most constraining from a deckbuilding perspective because she juts does everything I like to do better than every other color; I've considered rebuilding Ephara as Tymna+ a few times even because she just does Ephara better than Ephara in several ways.

It's not something I like about the last 5 years.

Way too many 4c decks, and the ridiculously overpowered 5c legends they've been printing hasn't helped either (looking at you golos, tireless pilgrim.

3drinks

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
I hope you did the Lord of Tresserhorn-Torpor Orb "combo" version. Plays similar to a "Stiflenaut" deck from Legacy while shutting down the players that overly rely on ETBs. Wholeheartedly recommend.
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
I do the same to some extent, but what I like gets fairly specific. I'm building Korvold atm, but I'm building him around the restriction of only my own stuff sacrificing - no edicts or fleshbags. No food chain either.
You might be interested in the white borders brew I started with Korvold, since you're utilizing restrictive building. Positive side effect: cards are cheaper in white borders but there's still tons of synergy to the commander.
pokken wrote:
4 years ago
Ever since partners there's almost no reason to build a 1 or 2 color deck anymore. They're significantly better than most of the alternatives. Nothing bant compares with thrasios, triton hero + whomever, nothing esper compares to tymna the weaver + whomever.
Right, unless someone just wanted to build as such. I'll never stop jamming mono-R decks, and that's a trend I've noticed with Torbran gaining traction. But like, it's not going to stop the overwhelming majority that just want to play the best cards out of 80% of the colour pie.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

toctheyounger

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
You might be interested in the white borders brew I started with Korvold, since you're utilizing restrictive building. Possitive side effect: cards are cheaper in white borders but there's still tons of synergy to the commander.
Cheaper? You know me so well!

(straight up not even a little bit of sarcasm :cool: )

3drinks

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
You might be interested in the white borders brew I started with Korvold, since you're utilizing restrictive building. Possitive side effect: cards are cheaper in white borders but there's still tons of synergy to the commander.

I'm definitely a very frugal person so, ha. And, if you stick to white borders, you have the distinction of knowing your deck is complete, no matter how many new cards come out. Slightly different or mild upgrades over the current crop of cards be damned.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

toctheyounger

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago

I'm definitely a very frugal person so, ha. And, if you stick to white borders, you have the distinction of knowing your deck is complete, no matter how many new cards come out. Slightly different or mild upgrades over the current crop of cards be damned.
Yeah, I dig that. It's how I've managed my theme decks too - because what you're after is more of a vibe/character, most stuff won't fit perfectly and is as a consequence not even considered.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”