Yarok, Panharmonicon, and... artifact lands? Help me out.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

For reference:

Ok everyone, I have a Yarok deck that (duh) is built around getting value from ETB triggers on various things. Naturally, Panharmonicon is in the deck. What I'm wondering is this: is it worth it to add the artifact lands?

There are a few reasons to do this: to further enable Field of the Dead, and to get landfall triggers with Panharmonicon. Since Panharmonicon only doubles ETB triggers from creatures and artifacts, these lands would allow me to double any landfall triggers when they come in.

Here's the decklist, but there are seven landfall cards in the deck.

Is it worth it to add the artifact lands, and risk them getting hit by things like Bane of Progress or Merciless Eviction, for the opportunity to get more value out of Panharmonicon and landfall?

Thanks in advance!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

WizardMN
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

To start, neither Yarok nor Pan "double" triggers; they both just add one. Just wanted to call it out as having both of them would give you three triggers for something, not four.

With that out of the way, I think the inclusion of these cards is certainly dependent on other cards in the deck. Having landfall cards makes them a little more useful so Pan interacts with them, but do you have anything that makes getting to them easier? Trinket Mage for example would let you tutor them out (though that is likely less useful than actual ramp).

I think your concern about Bane of Progress and Mass artifact destruction spells is the best thing to think about. If those are fairly prevalent, making your lands more vulnerable to hate might not be worth making the lands better in a somewhat narrow situation. But, if those things aren't as prevalent, there likely isn't a huge downside to throwing them in. They still only take a land slot and potentially only cut down on your ramp a little.

On a different note, they work reasonably well with Muldrotha if you have a way to play more than one land per turn.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

An interesting idea, but I'd pass on running artifact lands specifically for Panharmonicon + landfall. Being an artifact makes Seat of the Synod and friends vulnerable to artifact hate like Null Rod, Austere Command, and Bane of Progress, which come up fairly often. As a result, I think you need a fair amount of synergy to consider them to outweigh that downside. I don't hate one as a target for Trinket Mage if you're already running it though.

Looking at your decklist, I don't see any other synergy for artifact lands that you don't have for normal lands - just Panharmonicon. That doesn't seem like sufficient synergy, given that you (presumably) won't have Panharmonicon out the majority of the time. And even if you do, you won't always have a landfall card out too.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Nah, not worth. Honestly if you just plan it out, it's super easy to get Field of the Dead online at the earliest possible stage. It's not like you even have ways to search for Field of the Dead, so 9/10 times by the time you draw it, you'll have your quota.

No Scapeshift with all those landfall triggers?

hyalopterouslemur
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Why just lands? I mean, if you're using Panharmonicon. You can have fun with even minor cards like Suture Priest. (One of these days, I want to win off Suture Priest and Alliance of Arms.)
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
Nah, not worth. Honestly if you just plan it out, it's super easy to get Field of the Dead online at the earliest possible stage. It's not like you even have ways to search for Field of the Dead, so 9/10 times by the time you draw it, you'll have your quota.

No Scapeshift with all those landfall triggers?
Well, I do have Demonic Tutor and Rune-Scarred Demon. I guess I've just never thought about Scapeshift, though. I may have to pick one up and give it a spin.
hyalopterouslemur wrote:
4 years ago
Why just lands? I mean, if you're using Panharmonicon. You can have fun with even minor cards like Suture Priest. (One of these days, I want to win off Suture Priest and Alliance of Arms.)
Well, Suture Priest and Alliance of Arms are out of my commander's color identity, so that's a no-go. It's definitely a cool idea though. With Lattice, I think I'd need more landfall in the deck to make it worth including. Also, it's apparently $46. I had no idea it had spiked like that!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”