Gavin Verhey and Command Zone announcement video!

KarnDaddy
Pronoun: he / him

Post by KarnDaddy » 4 years ago

I have not watched the whole thing yet, but it looks like we are getting EDH stuff out the wazoo next year!

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

So, Signature Spellbook: Green, five Commander decks tied to Ikoria, two tied to Zendikar Rising, and Commander Legends (Masters).

Frankly, until they get their %$#% together when it comes to meaningful reprints, especially when it comes to manabases, I'm gonna keep not buying Commander precons. They jacked the price up twice, yet the value and overall quality of the decks have plummeted.

And if I were to drink every time they said "It's a good time to be a Commander player" in that video, I'd be wasted at the halfway mark. It's never been a bad time to be Commander player.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
They jacked the price up twice, yet the value and overall quality of the decks have plummeted.
I'm definitely annoyed that they were like "And now you're going to get 5 decks instead of 4" like the original product and continuing into 2016, there already were 5 decks. It's only been the last 3 years they've axed one and we've been paying the same.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
They jacked the price up twice, yet the value and overall quality of the decks have plummeted.
I'm definitely annoyed that they were like "And now you're going to get 5 decks instead of 4" like the original product and continuing into 2016, there already were 5 decks. It's only been the last 3 years they've axed one and we've been paying the same.
Exactly. And as much as I really like Game Knights (heck, I like Jimmy and Josh a lot), they just lap it up like the shills they are.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Sinis

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Exactly. And as much as I really like Game Knights (heck, I like Jimmy and Josh a lot), they just lap it up like the shills they are.
I don't hold it against them because a) it's not like I would do differently, and b) it says pretty clearly that the video is WotC sponsored.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

As always, the proof is in the pudding. I'll believe the value when I see it. I'm not buying into any hype for sealed product right off the bat.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

They've had a few meaningful reprints recently. It just hasn't been as many as would justify the price. (Seedborn Muse comes to mind.)
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I predicted a "Commander Masters" a few months ago, here is what I said in the "Do you think C19 is above and beyond?" thread..
The thing with the current run of reprints is that you are going to get a ceiling of like $10 maximum like Seedborn Muse and as such you are only really saving a couple of dollars on a single (maximum). Which isn't really doing anything long term.
So the whole idea of reprints for commander products isn't to do with meeting demands, but rather packaging up decks for newbies.
I think once WotC conveys this more, you'll see less complaints.
But obviously WotC needs to actually run reprints of in demand commander cards, and that is left to other products, like the "Masters" series and we got that with Battlebond as well. We literally might get a "Commander Masters" as the next installment...you heard it here first.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I'll eat my hat if that creature art is not oracle of mul daya

Sinis

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
Do you want it cooked, or raw?

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

I'm kind of glad that the first reprint box is green since it's only at WPN store..but i'm also a bit miffed that it is green instead of blue
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
I predicted a "Commander Masters" a few months ago, here is what I said in the "Do you think C19 is above and beyond?" thread..
It does sound like COMMANDER LEGENDS is that set...but i'm honestly a bit let down and really wish they would step back from every set must be draftable, I know why they do it but it's a bit annoying since they have to "balance" everything which means some stuff will be at mythic rarity, which may or may not drive down prices. Then there's chaff that's only there because of drafting.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

xeroxedfool

Post by xeroxedfool » 4 years ago

Maybe if they can monetize the commander player base a little better it will be good for the game. Could also backfire as one of my favorite things about the format is there are less 'must buy' products for it. I guess we will have to wait and see about release fatigue.
They're both Griffith, get it?

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
I don't hold it against them because a) it's not like I would do differently, and b) it says pretty clearly that the video is WotC sponsored.
Ok sure, but the scripted fawning was a little much. I found it very cringey. That's also another reason I like the Professor so much; I never get the impression that he's being dishonest or insincere. He's not for sale.
hyalopterouslemur wrote:
4 years ago
They've had a few meaningful reprints recently. It just hasn't been as many as would justify the price. (Seedborn Muse comes to mind.)
Was Seedborn Muse even all that meaningful? It had just been reprinted in Battlebond, which drove down the price significantly. They filled those precons with a few $2-3 cards so they could fool us into thinking they were worth something. Then, , they come out with the Brawl precons, which have 40 fewer cards, stuffed to the gills with value, and were half the price (if you could fine one at Wal-Mart).
pokken wrote:
4 years ago
I hope you're hungry. If we're talking about the same art, they said in the video that it was related to Azusa, Lost but Seeking, and Mul Daya is definitely of Zendikar, so...

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

I've got some feelings.

+1 deck, earlier release, themed around set: meh, sure. Getting more new cards is really the only thing that matters to me, in the final rundown.

Signature spellbook green: doubt I'll get any, but maybe I'll trade for some in nonfoil if the art is cool.

2 More precons for some set releases: given that I only care about new cards, and they only get 3 (the commanders themselves?) this sound lame. I'll have to decide if I want to add them to my precon collection though, ugh. I just hope the new cards aren't super expensive because of how they have to be acquired.

Commander legends sounds potentially awesome. It does make my commander cube less special lol. I love draft, so this is probably the thing I'm most excited for. 70 is a lot of legends, bound to be something cool to build in constructed too.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I think its mechanically related to azusa vs. Lore related. But it could be bloom tender also. Seems ridiculous to be some green card from kamigawa given how unplayable most of it is.

Sinis

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Ok sure, but the scripted fawning was a little much. I found it very cringey. That's also another reason I like the Professor so much; I never get the impression that he's being dishonest or insincere. He's not for sale.
Yeah, I mean, I'm not going to pretend I wasn't rolling my eyes. I only mean to say that it's understandable, even if it's cringey/inexcusable.

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 4 years ago

Me: chances of mul daya being in the green spellbook 1/3050
Hopeful optimist: So there is still a chance.

still though 7 decks, i like variety. and the idea of Drafting commander, i may be into it. But drafting 100 cards is much more than drafting 40.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

Cards will most likely be Cord of Calling and Seedborn Muse.

I'm hyped I hope this a good place to put in legends that have issues going in regular decks.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
It does sound like COMMANDER LEGENDS is that set...but i'm honestly a bit let down and really wish they would step back from every set must be draftable, I know why they do it but it's a bit annoying since they have to "balance" everything which means some stuff will be at mythic rarity, which may or may not drive down prices. Then there's chaff that's only there because of drafting.
May depend on the price point of the boosters. Most Commander cubes I've drafted tend to be primarily higher rarity cards - although there's a lot of things like Wood Elves, Tragic Slip, Beast Within and Path to Exile to take up common and uncommon slots.

With 20 cards per pack, I worry a bit about the price tag. If each pack is $10, and we hypothetically need 5 per player to draft to make the game... I know quite a few people won't want to draft. I think I've usually drafted 5 packs per draft, but with a standard 15 cards per pack, so this situation may be a bit much - but it depends on the size of the deck you're having to make, how many players... etc.

And that's not a huge stretch to think about either - They've liked making each box be a draft experience, with normal draft sets having 24 packs per box. If you're looking at a 4 player Commander pod - 5 packs per player could make a 20 pack draft box.

Anyways, holding judgement until we get closer and get more details.
5colorsrainbow wrote:
4 years ago
Cards will most likely be Cord of Calling and Seedborn Muse.

I'm hyped I hope this a good place to put in legends that have issues going in regular decks.
Hah! Because he's playing a CHORD! ...

... You're probably right on that one.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
I think it would have seemed less shill-y if someone just said it as "we're bringing BACK five decks" instead of pretending like it's some brand new innovation.

As far as draftability...I know there are people out there that buy boxes of product and love cracking it. But I can say for me, and I imagine a pretty large percentage of people, I've got absolutely no interest in buying packs just to crack them. I'll either buy packs to draft, or buy singles to get what I want. Especially in a set that has a lot of reprints I don't need or want, which one assumes this commander set will have. If wotc made collector-only boosters for a commander set, I wouldn't crack a single pack of that product, I'd go straight to the secondary market.

There's also a certain amount of overload for commander, especially now. Getting the precons, with ~60 cards intended for commander, most of which usually get some play, alongside all the normal standard sets, is already plenty of new material to commander for me - I honestly miss the pre-commander-precon days, when good commander cards were cause for celebration instead of more firewood for the bonfire. The new precons only add a few new cards per year, so that's not a huge deal, but having a set with 250+ commander-intended new cards would be a huge amount of new material to work with. It sounds kind of exhausting to me, at least. 70 commanders already sounds like a ton of new stuff to think about.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
May depend on the price point of the boosters. Most Commander cubes I've drafted tend to be primarily higher rarity cards - although there's a lot of things like Wood Elves, Tragic Slip, Beast Within and Path to Exile to take up common and uncommon slots.

With 20 cards per pack, I worry a bit about the price tag. If each pack is $10, and we hypothetically need 5 per player to draft to make the game... I know quite a few people won't want to draft. I think I've usually drafted 5 packs per draft, but with a standard 15 cards per pack, so this situation may be a bit much - but it depends on the size of the deck you're having to make, how many players... etc.

And that's not a huge stretch to think about either - They've liked making each box be a draft experience, with normal draft sets having 24 packs per box. If you're looking at a 4 player Commander pod - 5 packs per player could make a 20 pack draft box.

Anyways, holding judgement until we get closer and get more details.
Just once for a supplemental product that gets a booster box,i'd like them to say "this won't be balanced for limited" I bet this is where a reprint of Arcane Signet will be, they could also reprint some of the fetches looking at you Scalding Tarn
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
I'm kind of glad that the first reprint box is green since it's only at WPN store..but i'm also a bit miffed that it is green instead of blue
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
I tend to agree and I am a person who NEVER drafts (due to not caring enough about 60 card Magic to learn sets and be a decent drafter). But drafting a Commander cube is lots of fun and if this is what it turns out to be you should definitely give it a chance.

(Edit: Assuming the set doesn't just blow, that is.)
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
There's also a certain amount of overload for commander, especially now. Getting the precons, with ~60 cards intended for commander, most of which usually get some play, alongside all the normal standard sets, is already plenty of new material to commander for me - I honestly miss the pre-commander-precon days, when good commander cards were cause for celebration instead of more firewood for the bonfire. The new precons only add a few new cards per year, so that's not a huge deal, but having a set with 250+ commander-intended new cards would be a huge amount of new material to work with. It sounds kind of exhausting to me, at least. 70 commanders already sounds like a ton of new stuff to think about.
This.

Maro has acknowledged that releasing too many sets in a small amount of time has been a problem, but now they're going full throttle overkill.

And I totally agree about the time before precons. While I still love Commander, things felt more exciting and unexplored back then.

KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif » 4 years ago

It's too much. I had the feeling since WAR that I cannot keep up anymore with all the sets pumped out so quickly. We're sliding from one spoiler season into the next and it doesn't feel exiting anymore, just annoying. And just as I thought the end of the year would get a bit more relaxing on spoilers, there came this announcement (and the Theros leaks, but I don't count those).
Why does it have to be 9 Commander Precons next year, plus the Collection plus the Legends Draft Set? Of course, as a Commander only player, I am excited, but on the other hand I feel overwhelmed and... oversatiated. 70+ new Legendary cards that can be your Commander? This is a lot and I feel like it's way too much.
Why can't we have something like a Deckbuilder's Toolkit designed for Commander, instead of even more Precons? When I started playing Commander, I built my own deck because it felt more personal than to just buy a precon. And a Deckbuilder's Toolkit for Commander with, let's say, 600-800 cards, with staples like Sol Ring, Command Tower etc. plus semi-random Legendary Creatures/Planeswalkers and card pools, plus a few booster packs of Commander relevant sets would be a great start for new players that do not want to buy a Precon and an even greater start for their collection of Commander Staples.

Don't get me wrong. I'd've loved a "Commander Masters" a few years ago. But right now, I feel burned out from all the new stuff that comes out so fast. It just doesn't feel like fun anymore and more like a chore :/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”