Chaos: Mission Accomplished! Now what?

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BaronCappuccino » 4 years ago

So, it's a familiar story: you build a chaos deck, and it works. Game after game, you reliably resolve cards like Scrambleverse and Chaos Warp every game. When you built your deck, chaos wasn't the means, it was the ends. That's my story right now - and on a side note, you could replace chaos with stax and counterspells and the story reads the same. Do other chaos players have favorite ways to go from chaos cards to winning? I spend so much time figuring out what I want to do during a game, but almost no time on how I'd like it to end. Right now, I curve from forced combat into chaos with Grenzo, Havoc Raiser, and his low cmc reliably lets me set the groundwork for every game, like a Planeshift stack.

Tags:

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Not (generally) a chaos player chiming in.

There exists (somewhere on the internet) a Warpworld combo deck, where you will generally get enough enter-the-battlefield triggers that you will just win the game for some number of permanents that get Warpworlded (the deck I saw would Warpworld many, many times). It's a kind of chaos, but it sounds like a chore to resolve iterations of Warpworld.

Some chaos cards are easier to game than others (and these are my favourite kinds); Possibility Storm is very game-able (or ignorable) with the right kinds of deckbuilding restrictions.

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
Not (generally) a chaos player chiming in.

There exists (somewhere on the internet) a Warpworld combo deck, where you will generally get enough enter-the-battlefield triggers that you will just win the game for some number of permanents that get Warpworlded (the deck I saw would Warpworld many, many times). It's a kind of chaos, but it sounds like a chore to resolve iterations of Warpworld.

Some chaos cards are easier to game than others (and these are my favourite kinds); Possibility Storm is very game-able (or ignorable) with the right kinds of deckbuilding restrictions.
Too be honest it just sounds like a combo deck and not chaos at all really. If you design your deck around it then it doesn't really matter if it's an Mind's Desire, Time Spiral or a Warp World your plan is to resolve some big spell which wins you the game. Mind's Desire and Time Spiral are "random" as well, but the result is to go over the top with the shuffler being part of the equation.

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Generally chaos decks do win through combo....one way or another. There's ways to play around it though - the other general win con is making a chaotic board environment that's toxic for everyone else and ideal for your deck. It's a more fragile way to win, but I find it more fun than combo anyway.

The two really successful builds I know of that might be good source material are tStorm82's Zedruu primer here on Nexus, and Gaka's Norin build on Sally. Being mono red the Norin primer is probably more relevant but I've played the Zedruu build a lot and it's good fun.

I know this didn't provide you any specific advice but hopefully pointing you in a useful direction helps.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”