Spreading counters with Volrath

ilovesaprolings
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

Trying fun things with Volrath, the Shapestealer deck. Right now it's basically an Experimental Kraj which can also copy opponents' interesting creatures and has better removals.
I have a simple question: are there any cards that can put quickly counters on my own creatures? For example in my last game i had a lot of trouble putting a counter on my invisible stalker. I don't want to put a lot of counters on a single creature, i want to spread my counters as soon as possible.
I'd like something similar to simic ascendancy, but with a cheaper cost, or something like the great henge, but chepaer/less removal magnet

KMA_Again
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by KMA_Again » 4 years ago

It doesn't work for all of your creatures, but, Ivy Lane Denizen will give some counters for free. Unspeakable Symbol also will drop counters on things for a low cost.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Master Biomancer? Doesn't help for stuff already on the board.
Durable Handicraft
Retreat to Kazandu
Hadana's Climb
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 4 years ago

Tetzimoc, Primal death
Plus the bonus effect is that when and if you cast him, only opponent creatures with prey counters die, not your own.

ilovesaprolings

Thank you guys! Good cards!
(oh and yes, master biomancer is already in)

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I was always partial to zameck guildmage and simic manipulator in UG +1/+1 counter stuff. The former obviously better for your use case :)

If you look up experiment kraj on edhrec you'll probably find a lot more stuff.

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Unspeakable Symbol is the first come to mind, and Durable Handicraft allows easy counter when your creatures enters battlefield. Of course, if you like artifact creatures, modular mechanics would function just fine. I personally favors simic Graft mechanic myself, since they grant abilities to all of your creatures with +1/+1 counters.

I'd recommend Necrotic Ooze for this deck, since you could put a counter on it to give Volrath all abilities of creatures in every grave.

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 4 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
Unspeakable Symbol is the first come to mind, and Durable Handicraft allows easy counter when your creatures enters battlefield. Of course, if you like artifact creatures, modular mechanics would function just fine. I personally favors simic Graft mechanic myself, since they grant abilities to all of your creatures with +1/+1 counters.

I'd recommend Necrotic Ooze for this deck, since you could put a counter on it to give Volrath all abilities of creatures in every grave.
I would also suggest Clones as you can clone volrath after he has become a creature (Such as Necrotic ooze) and you will still have a 7/5 necrotic ooze iwth volrath;s ability, but does not become volrath at end of turn, it stays as the ooze.

ilovesaprolings

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago

The ooze is already in of course, even if it's hard to not abuse her incredible combo potential
Graft is amazing but many graft cards are lackluster. Right now i'm running cytoplast manipulator, plaxcaster frogling and vigean graftmage. I'm considering cytoplast root-kin
Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
I would also suggest Clones as you can clone volrath after he has become a creature (Such as Necrotic ooze) and you will still have a 7/5 necrotic ooze iwth volrath;s ability, but does not become volrath at end of turn, it stays as the ooze.
Didn't think about using clones, but i don't know if i will: in my meta there is already a deck that relies heavily on clones. Maybe i'll just use spark double

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Depending on your deck's makeup, something can be said for Ivy Lane Denizen. Titania's Boon can one-shot give all your creatures +1/+1 counters. I'm also fond of Carnifex Demon and Black Sun's Zenith. You can even use Contagion Engine.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”