Unsettled Mariner

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

For reference: Unsettled Mariner

The only multicolour changeling (other than Dr. Julius Jumblemorph who is functionally one), and definitely free in Morophon, the Boundless.

Have you been playing this card? What are you playing it in, and how is it working out for you? Do people sometimes seem robbed of options due to the 1 mana tax on spells?

Background: I was considering it for my Niv-Mizzet Reborn deck (along with the Fate Reforged dragons) since it is a very cost-efficient guild-coloured Dragon (and playable guild-coloured dragons are generally in short supply, especially if you want them to be aggressively costed).

Tags:

TheMagicWord

Post by TheMagicWord » 4 years ago

I was considering it in Varina, Lich Queen as a zombie that gives protection is something you dont see every day. I have yet to get my hands on one so I havent been able to try it out.
Check out EDH Magic Online Magic Videos
Check out my The MTG Word instagram for pictures of crazy edh boardstates

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

In my opinion it was more designed as a modern card to fit into tribes given all of the Cavern of Souls / Unclaimed Territory effects. Its a card that is designed for more use where heavier spot removal tends to be used which in my mind the idea of tempo slowing spot removal in commander just isn't really that relevant.

Its possible that if you are playing fast combo it might make a difference, but I am kind of led to think that there are a lot of other things you could also do like a counterspell, ramp, or Defense Grid.

In the end, I don't really find it to be all that good of a commander card in part given how narrow a UW changeling tends to be.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

The tax of 1 is bad. That's the problem. Tax of 2 would be playable in EDH.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

There's been some talk here and there about it on my Varina thread. It seems really meta dependent, in that if you see a lot of targeted removal it probably will pull some weight, but given that our format is more centered on wipes and global effects it seems otherwise a bit corner case to be of any use. I ultimately decided it wouldn't do anything for my Varina list.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
In my opinion it was more designed as a modern card to fit into tribes given all of the Cavern of Souls / Unclaimed Territory effects. Its a card that is designed for more use where heavier spot removal tends to be used which in my mind the idea of tempo slowing spot removal in commander just isn't really that relevant.

Its possible that if you are playing fast combo it might make a difference, but I am kind of led to think that there are a lot of other things you could also do like a counterspell, ramp, or Defense Grid.

In the end, I don't really find it to be all that good of a commander card in part given how narrow a UW changeling tends to be.
My first thought was Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, Rhystic Study, Tithe Taker, and then you have things like Defense Grid and Sphere of Resistance.

The card isn't bad, but it would be pretty close to the last tax card I would add, just because it's so narrow. And of course, you have to leave room for Winter Orb and friends to do a proper tax deck.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

So, I have a deck that likes to drop frost titan, and clone it a bunch of times. Frost Titans are surprisingly annoying for opponents to deal with.

My first thought looking at this guy was that he'd be fun to cast a Rite of Replication on... unfortunately though, I don't really know what I would want to do with an army of 2/2's. I just kinda wish it had a larger body to be a bit more relevant.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
unfortunately though, I don't really know what I would want to do with an army of 2/2's. I just kinda wish it had a larger body to be a bit more relevant.
It's not so much that they're an army of 2/2s. It's that they're an army of 2/2s with every creature type. Maybe they get +3/+3 because you have Crucible of Fire, or they get +1/+1 and indestructible from Knight Exemplar.

The deck I'm considering it for has most of the fate reforged dragons (like Ojutai, Soul of Winter), so turning it sideways maybe does well, also.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

I was considering the lords, but then there's always the question of - "Wouldn't it be better to just Rite the lords?"

I think it's got potential, and can be made to work. And if it does, it's going to be really annoying for your opponents to mess with your stuff.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”