Questing Beast Deck Help

Gashnaw
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 4 years ago

So i pulled a questing beast at the pre-release and while I did not do well (0-4) I did like the creature, and he did help as not every game ended as an 0-2 (most were actually 1-2)
Anyway I was gonna throw him into a deck until i realized he is legendary and was wondering what kind of deck i could build around him. He may only be viable in sealed (As the whole evasion thing is stopped by a 3/X) so i am curious if there is a way to make a decent EDH deck, one the cheap, with this guys as my general. So i am looking for help.

gilrad

Post by gilrad » 4 years ago

Voltron seems like a good subtheme, the haste and unpreventable damage deal with common foils commander-damage decks face (removal setting you back two turns and maze effects stopping you until you can get land destruction). The vigilance works well with flying, focus on that as your evasion-granting effect. Maybe supplement it with a few other big hasty guys so you're not completely reliant on commander damage.

Gashnaw

hmm, Volron was my initial thought as well.

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Questing Beast seems reasonable as a Voltron commander due to the pile of keywords and a bit of evasion. Vigilance and deathtouch don't really help the Voltron strategy though, and with only four power, QB needs some extra assistance to reach 21 commander damage. Deathtouch does work well with trample and first strike though, along with equipment like Viridian Longbow or other ping effects. Green doesn't have a ton of equipment tutors/synergies, but having a couple of nice pieces of equipment means you can also suit up other fatties if QB isn't available.

Another thing I would suggest would running some Fog effects - QB makes these one-sided, since your creatures still deal damage.

Gashnaw

OH CRUD!
I though QB only had his damage unpreventable not all creatures i control. While I may run equipment i think i might make this a fatty "turn sideways" deck.

BOVINE
Legendary Creature – Ox

Post by BOVINE » 4 years ago

Constant Mists is good for Questing Beast
B O V I N E

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

First strike is also good. And double strike. So... there are equipment for those.
I also love the interaction of deathtouch and trample.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Gashnaw

Are there any anthem effects that give first strike, vigilance or deathtouch in mono green?

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 4 years ago

Deathtouch on attack: Bow of Nylea, Ohran Frostfang
First Strike & Vigilance: Akroma's Memorial
Vigilance: Vivien Reid emblem, Sight of the Scalelords (Conditional: Toughness >= 4 only)

There are other effects, but they are either one-offs (e.g. God-Eternal Rhonas), affect only some creatures based on tribe, or are otherwise quite conditional (e.g. Village Survivors).
Kefnet Voltron | Ayli Reanistocrats | Derevi Pod | Kodama//Ishai Blink | Jetmir Hatebears | Kess Storm | Smasher//Sakashima Control

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Hmm. Seems like he's a better roleplayer in the 99 of Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma, especially if you want to play a Stompy deck.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Gashnaw

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Hmm. Seems like he's a better roleplayer in the 99 of Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma, especially if you want to play a Stompy deck.
Goreclaw was on my list for the 99, but i may alternate between the two. Goreclaw however does not get around the fog which would allow me to kill off a few guys by blocking (As my guys will still do damage when blocking)

Are there other ways to play lands from grave instead of just Crucible?

Mookie

Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
Are there other ways to play lands from grave instead of just Crucible?
Ramunap Excavator. Life from the Loam, World Shaper and Splendid Reclamation are also options for land recursion.

Gashnaw

Thanks. These are some nice options for constant mists.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Huh. I completely missed his legendary status,
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Gashnaw

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah I did too. in fact i did not realize he was legendary until round 2.

toctheyounger

Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
I mean I'm not sure if it changes anything for me, it'll still go in Nissa if I get one, but it's a strange legendary. Any idea what fairytale lore/arthurian lore it's derived from? Purely out of curiosity.

Gashnaw

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
I mean I'm not sure if it changes anything for me, it'll still go in Nissa if I get one, but it's a strange legendary. Any idea what fairytale lore/arthurian lore it's derived from? Purely out of curiosity.
My guess would be a Cerberus if I had to pick, But not only is that not from a fairytale, but it would be a red or black creature (most likely) (And QB looks more like a lion than a dog)

toctheyounger

Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago

My guess would be a Cerberus if I had to pick, But not only is that not from a fairytale, but it would be a red or black creature (most likely) (And QB looks more like a lion than a dog)
Yeah, and that's already been covered too. Ah well, I'm sure there's some basis for it, just not sure what it is.

Mookie

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Any idea what fairytale lore/arthurian lore it's derived from? Purely out of curiosity.
I'll propose the three-headed giant/knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but that is a complete guess. That character, in turn, isn't based on any mythological tale I am aware of.

Stapler
is a liar

Post by Stapler » 4 years ago

It's based on, funnily enough, a creature in Arthurian legend of the same name, named after its call, which sounded like thirty hounds hunting, or "questing" after prey. I never heard of this legend either before someone told me that this is what the card is based on.
"Image"

toctheyounger

Stapler wrote:
4 years ago
It's based on, funnily enough, a creature in Arthurian legend of the same name, named after its call, which sounded like thirty hounds hunting, or "questing" after prey. I never heard of this legend either before someone told me that this is what the card is based on.
Thanks for this. You learn something new every day.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Goreclaw was on my list for the 99, but i may alternate between the two. Goreclaw however does not get around the fog which would allow me to kill off a few guys by blocking (As my guys will still do damage when blocking)
Who cares about fogs when you're slamming 4-5 power for GG? (See, I can do not-Mardu things too)

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Rather than straight up Voltron, which is kind of boring especially when Questing Beast isn't that strong at it, you could look to go wide with creatures and really use the "Combat damage that would be dealt by creatures you control can't be prevented."

Use cards like Spike Weaver, Arachnogenesis, Dawnstrider, Constant Mists, Moment's Peace, Sunstone (with Snow-Covered Forests) on your own attacks to push through damage that you ordinary wouldn't be able to do.
Think in terms of creatures that are normally hard to attack with (because easily blocked and killed) but with one-sided damage prevention can get in damage or attacks for bonuses.

You can get draw with combat;
Ohran Frostfang, Overwhelming Instinct, Watchful Naga, Oakhame Adversary, Keeper of Fables, Ohran Viper, Seshiro the Anointed, Mask of Memory, Sixth Sense.

Entourage of Trest - becoming the monarch is really great as it encourages combat, and you should be able to defend well with Fog effects and deathtouch creatures being intimidating. There is no reason you can't always have it.

For mana advantages;
Sakiko, Mother of Summer, Mark of Sakiko, Nature's Will, One with Nature,

Other combat oriented creatures that can benefit from attacking;
Caustic Wasps, Centaur Rootcaster, Emperor's Vanguard, Kashi-Tribe Elite, Matsu-Tribe Decoy

Those that have deathtouch seem like blocking is just a bad time for opponents as their creatures will die and yours won't (with Fog effects).
Bow of Nylea,
Turntimber Basilisk to force chump blocks.
Wren's Run Packmaster if you run a full package of mana dork Elves like Llanowar Elves, Fyndhorn Elves, etc, as these are great for early play, and then you can use them to attack for bonuses later.

A cool little card I came across was Fyndhorn Pollen. What you can do is use it to reduce all creatures so that you can get opponents creatures down to 2 or less power so that Questing Beast is unblockable.

Leery Fogbeast with Lure is a combo as it allows you to attack freely and still push through combat damage with the rest of your creatures. Plus Lure is good with deathtouch.

Blade of Selves on some ETB creature that normally would get killed on attacks but saved with Fog effects. Things like Wood Elves and Reclamation Sage.

[EDIT]
With Fog effects planeswalkers also become better, and Gashnaw you know that I love me a few Superfriends :P But with his ability to kill planeswalkers, you're matched up well against opposing planeswalker decks.
So it's kind of cool that you can operate with planeswalkers on a creature filled board, and most Superfriends decks have a hard time when the board is flooded.
Not too many planeswalkers but a choice few would be good.

Gashnaw

Well Darren. i am gonna be running vivien reid, but theses are all great ideas. Voltron was my initial thought but i do like the idea of having a bunch of fog effects just to keep me safe on turns where I am attacked (And can still do damage if i block)

OG Garruk can help with his overrun effect. Primal hunter can draw me cards (As I plan to have MINIMUM 4 power, But i also plan to run Ghalta, primal hunger. Nissa Wolrdwaker and Nissa, who shakes the world Will also help with teh untap forests and double mana.

most of my decks run anywhere from 33-37 lands (Depending on colors) this one i am looking at 40-43 lands. Not sure if the boost in land count will be a bad move and I may even cut some later on, but right now My goal is to not miss a single land drop.

I was already going to run spore frog and Spike Weaver, but i also like the Leery fogbeast + lure idea. May also use my good ol' Stone-Tongue Basilisk (just so they have to block him as my other guys can run through.)

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
Well Darren. i am gonna be running vivien reid, but theses are all great ideas. Voltron was my initial thought but i do like the idea of having a bunch of fog effects just to keep me safe on turns where I am attacked (And can still do damage if i block)

OG Garruk can help with his overrun effect. Primal hunter can draw me cards (As I plan to have MINIMUM 4 power, But i also plan to run Ghalta, primal hunger. Nissa Wolrdwaker and Nissa, who shakes the world Will also help with teh untap forests and double mana.

most of my decks run anywhere from 33-37 lands (Depending on colors) this one i am looking at 40-43 lands. Not sure if the boost in land count will be a bad move and I may even cut some later on, but right now My goal is to not miss a single land drop.

I was already going to run spore frog and Spike Weaver, but i also like the Leery fogbeast + lure idea. May also use my good ol' Stone-Tongue Basilisk (just so they have to block him as my other guys can run through.)
Genesis goes well with Spore Frog and Spike Weaver.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”