Oona's Bizarre Adventure

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Oona, Queen of the Fae + Flash faeries + Cloudstone Curio, Phyrexian Reclamation, ninjas, etc

Simply put, to repeatedly utilize the Adventure creatures with bounce/reanimate effect. Oona is particularly good in this regard because of her ability to mill and create evasive creatures, and her colors offer the best Adventurers as well as the best bounce/reanimate. Sygg, River Cutthroat and Vela the Night-Clad also have good synergy but Oona herself offers wincon if nothing else worked out. Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow relies a lot more on evasive creatures to function than the idea I have in mind, so Oona it is, though I suppose one could go with 3+ combination so long as blue/black Adventurers are in.

I will continue to add cards to the list as more suggestions flow in. I omitted Smitten Swordmaster intentionally.
Adventurers
Approximate Total Cost:

Bounce
Approximate Total Cost:

Let's Brew!
Last edited by Cyberium 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Skello496

Post by Skello496 » 4 years ago

I would remove Fae of Wishes from the list, since wish cards aren't EDH legal. It's awesome, but it makes no sense to include it.

Also a lot of the black ones are knights, so maybe add Smitten Swordmaster ? Even if it's just 2-3 life each time, it's worth it for 1 mana if you're repeating it over and over.
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Nylea, God of Hydra Counters G
Mahadi, Emporium Master rb
Feather, Catrips Redeemed wr
Ghired, The Tokened gwr
Hakbal, Merfolk Massacre UG
Ten and Clara, Suspended uwr

Cyberium

Skello496 wrote:
4 years ago
I would remove Fae of Wishes from the list, since wish cards aren't EDH legal. It's awesome, but it makes no sense to include it.

Also a lot of the black ones are knights, so maybe add Smitten Swordmaster ? Even if it's just 2-3 life each time, it's worth it for 1 mana if you're repeating it over and over.
I thought wish cards aren't banned.

Given the small number of knights, Smitten Swordmaster is still counting on the minority (in a 100 cards deck) to be functional.

hyalopterouslemur
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

No, just the wish itself is completely worthless unless you're playing with sideboards.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Skello496

Post by Skello496 » 4 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
Skello496 wrote:
4 years ago

I thought wish cards aren't banned.

Given the small number of knights, Smitten Swordmaster is still counting on the minority (in a 100 cards deck) to be functional.

Yeah sorry, I meant to say that you can't actually wish for anything in EDH. You can play the card, but "wishing" isn't something you can do. The adventure part of the card has no function because EDH has no sideboard or wishboard and you can't take a card from your overall collection. It's really irritating, but also makes sense that you can't grab an emrakul or something off-color.
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Nylea, God of Hydra Counters G
Mahadi, Emporium Master rb
Feather, Catrips Redeemed wr
Ghired, The Tokened gwr
Hakbal, Merfolk Massacre UG
Ten and Clara, Suspended uwr

Cyberium

The rule on Wishes is: "In an unsanctioned event, you may choose any card from your collection."

So I think Fae of Wishes can still be useful.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
The rule on Wishes is: "In an unsanctioned event, you may choose any card from your collection."

You, my friend, should be right, but unfortunately, Commander has Rule 13. Please contact your local Commander Rules Committee member about doing away with Rule 13 in favor of WotC's rule on Wishing.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Cyberium

Legend wrote:
4 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago

You, my friend, should be right, but unfortunately, Commander has Rule 13. Please contact your local Commander Rules Committee member about doing away with Rule 13 in favor of WotC's rule on Wishing.
"Abilities which refer to other cards owned outside the game (Wishes, Spawnsire, Research, Ring of Ma'ruf) do not function in Commander without prior agreement on their scope from the playgroup."

I don't see the problem here.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
Legend wrote:
4 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago

"Abilities which refer to other cards owned outside the game (Wishes, Spawnsire, Research, Ring of Ma'ruf) do not function in Commander without prior agreement on their scope from the playgroup."

You got kickback in a forum thread for even suggesting Wishing, then you referenced the wrong rule for Wishing, and you don't see the problem? I'm happy to discuss Wishing in the Wish thread or pm. Happy brewing!
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Cyberium

Legend wrote:
4 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
Legend wrote:
4 years ago

You got kickback in a forum thread for even suggesting Wishing, then you referenced the wrong rule for Wishing, and you don't see the problem? I'm happy to discuss Wishing in the Wish thread or pm. Happy brewing!
Unless there's a glitch on my internet, I searched "rule 13 EDH" and that's what I got. Is there another rule 13 I'm unaware about?

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
Legend wrote:
4 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago

Unless there's a glitch on my internet, I searched "rule 13 EDH" and that's what I got. Is there another rule 13 I'm unaware about?
It was updated: "Abilities which bring card(s) you own from outside the game into the game (such as Wishes; Spawnsire of Ulamog; Karn, the Great Creator) do not function in Commander." They got rid of the 'prior agreement' part since that is true of any rule.

Put it this way - you come to a game with 3 strangers and ask if they mind you wishing. They ask you what you are wishing for. You pull out a huge binder. They will say no. 3 reasons
1. Wishing will waste a lot of time
2. You will wish for silver bullets because if you need graveyard hate or a board wipe or discard, it is wrong to wish for anything else in your blue/black collection.
3. It is unfair that these 3 other people are limited to 100 cards and you can have the ability to add thousands of cards to your deck.

Wishes only work in commander when you play with a regular group and have agreed to make wishes legal for everyone. It doesn't work for people forming pods and Magic Fest or at their local game store. When you have a small playgroup, you can make house rules for wishes, un-cards, banning cards, unbanning cards, planeswalker commanders, etc. Do whatever you want.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Cyberium

Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
Legend wrote:
4 years ago

It was updated: "Abilities which bring card(s) you own from outside the game into the game (such as Wishes; Spawnsire of Ulamog; Karn, the Great Creator) do not function in Commander." They got rid of the 'prior agreement' part since that is true of any rule.

Put it this way - you come to a game with 3 strangers and ask if they mind you wishing. They ask you what you are wishing for. You pull out a huge binder. They will say no. 3 reasons
2. You will wish for silver bullets because if you need graveyard hate or a board wipe or discard, it is wrong to wish for anything else in your blue/black collection.
3. It is unfair that these 3 other people are limited to 100 cards and you can have the ability to add thousands of cards to your deck.

Wishes only work in commander when you play with a regular group and have agreed to make wishes legal for everyone. It doesn't work for people forming pods and Magic Fest or at their local game store. When you have a small playgroup, you can make house rules for wishes, un-cards, banning cards, unbanning cards, planeswalker commanders, etc. Do whatever you want.
Just as I understood it from the start, then. I probably should've mentioned that I played with a regular group.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago

Just as I understood it from the start, then. I probably should've mentioned that I played with a regular group.
And will they accept wishes. If I had a regular playgroup, I would say no. Why? Because I don't want to add wishes to 18 decks so that I can compete with your wishes. I don't want to have a binder of silver bullets to pull out every game.

Limitations breed creativity. Limitations are fun. 100 card limitation is a feature of Commander, and I personally would never make an exception to that.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

How did this thread get so derailed?!

Vedalken Mastermind, Cavern Harpy, and Portal of Sanctuary all kinda do what you want, in terms of bouncing creatures. If you're feeling like taking the risk, Sunken Hope does it too, as does Trusted Advisor (but only blue guys for the latter).

Cyberium

Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
And will they accept wishes. If I had a regular playgroup, I would say no. Why? Because I don't want to add wishes to 18 decks so that I can compete with your wishes. I don't want to have a binder of silver bullets to pull out every game.

Limitations breed creativity. Limitations are fun. 100 card limitation is a feature of Commander, and I personally would never make an exception to that.
They had already accepted the usage of wishes. Wishes are more expensive and hustle than you believe it to be compare to regular tutors, not to mention one-time usage. If someone needs to play a wish to get a silver bullet or a combo piece, he'd likely be lost to others who had already assembled their puzzles, which is why I don't see the problem of including a wishing fae in this deck; it's not a threat but a flavor bonus.

And speak of imitations, my group also play games void of tutors, including ramps. We know creativity.
Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
How did this thread get so derailed?!

Vedalken Mastermind, Cavern Harpy, and Portal of Sanctuary all kinda do what you want, in terms of bouncing creatures. If you're feeling like taking the risk, Sunken Hope does it too, as does Trusted Advisor (but only blue guys for the latter).
Great suggestions, I will add them in when my internet is more stable.

The topic got derailed because I didn't make it clear that I play with my regular group who're not threatened by Wishes. People assumed I'm just going to bring Wishes to a FNM like an inconsiderate amateur. A common misunderstanding on internet.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”