Which do you like more?

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

This is a tough one, as both are powerful and Iconic, but I'm going to go with Force of Will. Being able to respond even when you're tapped out is incredibly potent, as you can stop plays that people were waiting for an opening to make.

Next up, two of my favorite wraths. I think each has shown up in the thread before, but not against each other. So, what do people value more - Instant speed capabilities, or the possibility of of simply Annihilating multiple boards while leaving your most important stuff up?
vs

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Rout. I strongly value stack interaction, and torching the board at instant speed helps a lot. I also hate it when my answers don't affect Sigarda, Host of Herons.

- OR -

Skello496

Post by Skello496 » 4 years ago

I have to pick Heaven//Earth. It's got a way higher ceiling, which I think makes it much more useable. 3 damage isn't that great in EDH.

The two best "free" counterspells....
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Nylea, God of Hydra Counters G
Mahadi, Emporium Master rb
Feather, Catrips Redeemed wr
Ghired, The Tokened gwr
Hakbal, Merfolk Massacre UG
Ten and Clara, Suspended uwr

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Force is undoubtedly better, although from a gameplay perspective I prefer Pact; purely because it's hilarious when someone forgets their end of the pact and loses.

vs

Not directly similar, but both abusable in their own ways. Do you get as many of your nonbasics as possible or vomit all of your basics into play?
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Cow31337Killer
Answers: 1

Post by Cow31337Killer » 4 years ago

Definitely Collective Voyage|CMD because on top of being a super fun group hug card, you'll often end up getting a lot more value out of the deal than your opponents if you're playing a deck with lots of basics (which you probably should be doing anyway if you're running this card). With Tempt with Discovery|C13, if your opponents are smart you'll only be getting a single land off of it.

Vs

Last edited by Cow31337Killer 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 4 years ago

Ant Queen, it fits in more decks, provides constant mana-sink services, and pops out the tokens at instant speed. Wolfbriar is limited to mono, or mostly green decks. I am running it in my Tolsimir deck, but that's a special case.

vs

Skello496

Always picking forced fruition. Forcing people to draw way too much is just funny.

EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Ghired, The Tokened gwr

toctheyounger

Bontu for the Reprocess action. Rhonas is far too variable to be as good.

vs

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

God-Eternal Oketra. God-Eternal Kefnet faces a lot of competition from other blue creatures that generate card advantage, while Oketra's ability to pump out giant tokens is much harder to replace (most white token producers make much smaller tokens).

Ignoring legality:
vs.

toctheyounger

Griselbrand. He's gross, but he's not some disgusting keyword soup that's just clearly overboard. I don't necessarily dislike the Titans, but flavourfully Gris is way cooler, and that's what counts when you're discussing banned cards.

While we're on the topic of banned cards:
vs

Cow31337Killer

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Griselbrand. He's gross, but he's not some disgusting keyword soup that's just clearly overboard. I don't necessarily dislike the Titans, but flavourfully Gris is way cooler, and that's what counts when you're discussing banned cards.

While we're on the topic of banned cards:
vs
Rofellos for sure. He doesn't encourage the kind of oppressive "you don't get to play magic anymore" stuff that makes Leovold so awful to play against. In fact, I don't see him being too broken for EDH anymore at all really, but that's for another thread haha.

VS

Nimbaway

Post by Nimbaway » 4 years ago

Adephage gets my pick, as it is more likely to get damage through.

vs

Yatsufusa

Post by Yatsufusa » 4 years ago

Crux of Fate. I can easily envision the scenarios where Whelming Wave would be better, but even taking into account that in a vacuum I think Crux is better, because it gives the ability of choice, even if Dragons are more common than the 4 Sea-Monsters combined.

vs

Mookie

Decree of Annihilation is one of my favorite card names, but I have to give the edge to Obliterate. Can't be countered, cheaper to hardcast, and destroy is easier to abuse than exile with anything indestructible. Nuking hands is a relevant upside, but it matters a lot less if people have no lands to cast whatever they have.

Next:
vs.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

I think Electrolyze wins since the other doesn't have Fuse.

vs
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

Ophiomancer because getting one snake with deathtouch on each upkeep without doing anything for one B and two colorless is just awesome.

VS.
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 4 years ago

I just want to ump back to sword of body and mind as my pick (Due to it being Dubbed Sword of Bryan and Mike as it had my mill deck aspect and my buddies green swarm aspects in standard when it came out)

Reforge the soul. (It's a wheel.)

or

toctheyounger

Fire and Ice for wider versatility. Draw is never bad. Feast and Famine is undoubtedly very strong too, but not every deck is built to take advantage of the land untap.

vs

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Crop of Rotation is the easy choice here. That instant speed searching tends to be extremely powerful in the right circumstances. Flexible, cheap, and synergistic with lands in graveyard effects has this card winning the duel.

vs
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Planar Portal. Any card, even though you still have to play them afterwards, is just too good to pass up for the direct-to-battlefield.

vs

toctheyounger

Stitch is my preference for seeing it played across the table from me. A chance that the extra turn doesn't happen is fine, as most people find extra turns annoying. It's probably better anyway; whats the point in an extra turn if you can't spend your total mana both turns?

While we're talking gross but legal things...
vs

Feel free to say which you'd prefer to play or which you'd prefer to be played against you.

Mookie

I'm going to give the edge to Expropriate - I consider it to be the stronger card (and also the card I would rather my opponents not play). I've seen Omniscience played many times with no follow-up, only to get taken down immediately by a piece of enchantment removal - by the time you get to 10 mana, you often won't have many resources left. Meanwhile, Expropriate is an easy 4-for-1 (steal 3 things + draw a card from your extra turn).

Time for a tough pick:
vs.

Cow31337Killer

Ravages of War because it's more expensive, and the more money you spend on a card, the more powerful it becomes.

VS

Skello496

I mean, beacon is the better card. It costs less and shuffles back in, which just instantly trumps the wild one.

EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Ghired, The Tokened gwr

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Beacon of Tomorrows, because it has actual applications in games, unlike Beacon of Immortality which usually does jack.

vs

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”