Epic & Hilarious Plays Thread

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

It's around t8-9 and the board has been wiped twice. Opponent has phyrexian arena, adaptive automaton and Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief in play with plenty of mana. Drana activation kills my only flier and pumps Drana, who attacks over my 3 soldier tokens from assemble the legion. I untap, assemble gets a 3rd counter, and I make 3 more soldiers. I happen to draw a land, giving me exactly 9 mana for a kicked rite of replication targeting opponent's adaptive automaton. I have the automaton tokens enter as soldiers, pumping my 6 hasty assemble tokens into 6/6's. I swing with all 6 forcing my opponent, who is at 31 life, to chump with their own automaton and go to 1. I pass the turn. They die on upkeep to phyrexian arena :grin:

I have been seriously considering cutting both assemble the legion and rite of replication since they are expensive/situational/slow, and it may still be the right move for that deck, but sweet turns like that make it hard to let go of fun pet cards :please:
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

One of my simultaneous least and most favorite things in EDH is a game I like to call Consecrated Sphinx Chicken.

This happened twice tonight for me with two different decks. I won both times because I happened to be in the best spot in the turn order (the other player played before me).

Game 1--
I'm playing Mimeoplasm stupid fatties.

So I play my consecrated sphinx and pass to player 1. He goes to draw and player 3 copies my sphinx. We both draw a bajillionty cards. I stop with 3 cards left in library.

Player 1 goes "Oh damn" and proceeds to cast Leveler and Lab Maniac. I can't interact due to him having a rhystic study. He is forced to pass the turn due to being out of mana.

Player 2 is a hero. Player 2 time wipes and defends it with a counterspell while simultaneously paying for rhystic study.

Player 3 drew too many cards and can't think of a route to victory that doesn't involve getting milled out by player 2 and passes.

Everyone is tapped out. I play mimeoplasm copying lab man, paying for rhystic study so player 2 doesn't lose the game (and take my labman). I assassin's trophy his narset, paying 1, then I play bazaar of baghdad and tap to draw 2 cards, winning the game with lab man.

Game 2--

I tutor for a spark double with aminatou after hour of reckoning the board, leaving myself skint wit 5 mana and Aminatou having died once. My hand is treachery, spark double, and some randoms.

Player 2 playing Tuvasa is kind of knocked out of the game mostly and passes.

Player 3 playing Vorel big mana rocks slams his consecrated sphinx.

I spark double sphinx and pass. We play chicken on player 2's turn with both of us drawing most of our deck. I draw until I hit Force and oath of teferi.

Player 3 slams all his rocks and tries to win with Expropriate; I force it, and he's one mana short of countering it, having used most of his mana to cast expropriate.

I untap and get it done with treachery → aminatou blinks spark double who blinks treachery who lets me cast Oath of Teferi.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first rule of consecrated sphinx chicken is: be after the guy you're playing chicken with.

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

Sphinx chicken :crazy:

Stories like that should be told to all players new to the format to illustrate why Phyrexian Metamorph, Clever Impersonator, Phantasmal Image, Clone etc. are great.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”