Korvold - let’s brew!

Skello496
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Skello496 » 4 years ago

So Korvold got spoiled today... and I love him. He's an awesome jund voltron commander, and I really think he'll be great.
Let's come up with some awesome synergies!!

I'm thinking we want:

Token generation
Sac outlets
Protection
+1/+1 counter interaction?
And then the normal ramp, draw, artifact, etc that we needn't go into.
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Nylea, God of Hydra Counters G
Mahadi, Emporium Master rb
Feather, Catrips Redeemed wr
Ghired, The Tokened gwr

Tags:

Sanity_Eclipse
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

Creatures like Caustic Caterpillar, Viridian Emissary, Viridian Zealot that sac for their abilities to provide utility and to pump Korvold. On a similar note, Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest A) pumps Korvie faster, and B) lets you go wide and tall at the same time (hitting one opponent with Voltron and swarming another player with your sac fodder). Creatures with "die" triggers as well.

Typical sac outlets and enhancers like Sneak Attack, Grave Pact, Greater Good, maybe Blood Rites, Vampiric Rites, Evolutionary Leap, Innocent Blood, etc.

Lathliss, Dragon Queen is on point flavorwise as a dragon token creator (plus, King and Queen dragons, come on :grin:), but otherwise any goblin, saproling, or maybe cheap zombie maker would work.

I'm not sure if you want to go into +1/+1 counter stuff too heavily. Maybe just a couple cards like Increasing Savagery and Vivien, Nature's Avenger.

Ramp should stop at CMC 3 probably, so you can cast Korvie, what, T3, if the opportunity presents itself?
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Skello496

All good choices. Just realized that Krenko, Tim Street Kingpin synergizes super well, creating fodder and playing with counters.
Pitiless Plunderer is ridiculous in this setup, because when you sac your tokens you get tokens that can sac, so each creature you sacrifice essentially grants you a second trigger of his ability.

Also, I definitely love your Lathliss choice. Flavor win. Maybe add a dragon sub theme? Throw in Prossh to make 6 and add a sac outlet, then add some of the other dragons that have useful abilities or trigger on dragon attacks?
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Ghired, The Tokened gwr

vash9177

Post by vash9177 » 4 years ago

Hardened Scales Seems good for value as does Blade of the Bloodchief. Dragon Tempest is nice for haste and Steely Resolve if you go more the dragon theme route and Dragon Broodmother for tokens that give you a sac chance every turn.

Awakening Zone is also ramp that can still be useful once he is out. Bloodghast and Nether Traitor are also nice as reusable sac outlets.

FoxOfWar
Pronoun: she / her

Post by FoxOfWar » 4 years ago

The problem with this guy is not really finding cards... it's narrowing down. There's hundreds of cards that play nice with that set of abilities, from tokens to sac outlets to death triggers to voltron help to steal spells to resurrection effects to counters-matter to... you get the idea. You can almost go 'Jund goodstuff' and still two-thirds of your deck would work with this King.

I would recommend finding a solid theme to go for before figuring which cards to use because so many cards do work with him.

Personally I'm putting him as second-in-command in my Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire 'steal & sac' deck since the two dragons have some, shall we say, similar goals and benefits.

Oh, and with this guy Dragon Appeasement is almost mandatory in my eyes, especially since he can get rid of it as necessary.
36 decks or so...
Show
Hide
Hope of Ghirapur Swordpile - Ghosty Blinky Anafenza - Nezahal - Big, Blue and HERE! - Gonti Can Afford It - Kazuul, Tyrant of Chandras - Polukranos, More Mana - Azor Takes Flight - A3OS System - Vona Life Pain - Angel With a Whip and Her Pet Fox - Tolsimir Wolf Crusade - Dragonlord Steal & Copy - Arjun, the Mad Flame - Tatyova's Mad Lands - Zegana's Simic - Chainer Does the Value Dance - Polukranos, Unchained - Running Thromok - Sydri's Loco-Inspiraion - Zedruu the Furyhearted - Estrid Land Animation - A Case of Tariel's Persistent F*ckery - Tail of the AristoCat Humanitarian - Karador, Tomb Operator - Tayam Re-Curses - Jeleva... does... things - Sidisi, Death is Served - Omnath, Blink and You're Missing - The Negatiweaver - Breya, Eggs, Breya'd Eggs - Ishai and Reyhan Dicepile - Kynaios and Tiro Landfall Impersonations - Tana and Ravos' Regal Gatekeeping - Yidris of the Chi-Ting Corporation - General Tazri's Utterly Amazing Allies

ChaosNomad

Post by ChaosNomad » 4 years ago

Both God-Eternal Bontu and Claws of Gix. While the ability to sac costs mana being able to convert anything on board to a mass draw is kind of nuts. In addition, I might look at Splendid Reclamation and Crucible of Worlds as solid non-traditional recursion pieces for a Korvold deck.

Sharpened

Post by Sharpened » 4 years ago

I got to play a little with him in the Arena Brawl Precons event.

The thing that stood out to me with Korvold, Fae-Cursed King is that by himself he's an engine. If he's allowed to stay in play, you are able to leverage his abilities without needing elaborate set-up. Don't get me wrong, synergy is a fantastic thing, and there is plenty for him. But he's got evasion and quickly gets too big to kill through creature combat, and at the same time churns through your deck for you.

So the starting point would be getting him active.

Ramp is fantastic with him. I don't know that you can have too much, If he's attacking, you are either turning your fodder into extra cards, so having as much mana as possible to cast them is great, or you are sacrificing the excess lands. It's a win either way. And if your opponents keep removing him, more mana means you can afford the commander tax.

The other thing is he's a beater. Once you get going, he ends the game fast. He's a snowball rolling downhill and picking up size and speed along the way. With the card draw and a lot of the sacrifice engines, there's the temptation to durdle. If you find yourself going down that road, I think you are selling him short. Korvold is all about smashing face. The tricks you surround him with should be about disrupting your opponent so he can't stop you from smashing his face, or powering up so you smash face harder.

I got to curve out with the following sequence in the event and it was glorious:

Turn 2: Priest of Forgotten Gods
Turn 3: Rhythm of the Wild
Turn 4: Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin - swing, sac the 2 new goblins to clear the blocker
Turn 5: Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - swing, sac 1 of the 3 goblins, have the other 2 to use the priest if necessary

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

I suppose Korvold passed the "Prossh" test? Both of them operates with sacs, Prossh brings his sac fodders, while Korvold benefits more (in terms of value) with each sac, though himself cannot sac en mass like Prossh.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

I think Emrakul's Evangel would be a perfect fit, since you'd get compensated for saccing your creatures by getting more of them.

God-Eternal Bontu and other Reprocess-type cards are amazing.
I found two hilarious ones in Forbidden Ritual and Last-Ditch Effort. Plunge into Darkness is a more traditional one and Scapeshift could be amazing, especially with Field of the Dead in the deck.

As a fun and reminiscent way of honoring Prossh, Skyraider of Kher, you could Voltron people with Vicious Betrayal.

I think the most important thing about the deck would be to not run out of permanents to sac easily. Pawn of Ulamog, Pitiless Plunderer, Sifter of Skulls and Ulvenwald Mysteries look like cards you could easily abuse.

sweetwaterbob

Post by sweetwaterbob » 4 years ago

Temur Sabertooth + Dockside Extortionist Infinite Treasures and Sacrifice Triggers

Outlet for the above combo would be Mayhem Devil for infinite damage.

Food Chain + Squee, the immortal for Infinite Mana

with the above you could use praetor's grasp to get an opponent's Lab Man for a hilarious win by casting Korvold to draw your deck.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

I suspect that there will be a lot of overlap between Korvold, Fae-Cursed King and Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest decks. Lots of token producers and sacrifice outlets, along with creatures (and other permanents) capable of sacrificing themselves. Alternatively, play lots of fetchlands, eldrazi spawn/scion producers, and treasure production. Food producers from the new set also seem like an obvious fit.

Not a ton of support in Jund for Eggs, but it could be an interesting direction to take the deck.

Could also be entertaining to play Korvold as a janky The Gitrog Monster variant, based around sacrificing your lands (or just playing fetchlands) and recurring them. Any fetchland + Azusa, Lost but Seeking + Crucible of Worlds lets you ramp, pump Korvold, and draw a bunch of cards. Would be interesting to compare Korvold to Lord Windgrace if you were to go that route.

....overall though, there are a lot of ways one could build Korvold - drawing cards whenever you sacrifice something is a very powerful payoff, but it's also pretty open-ended as to how you want to keep the king fed.

ChaosNomad

Post by ChaosNomad » 4 years ago

Yo, I just thought of the perfect cards for Korvald. Need for Speed and World Shaper. Probably also add Tireless Tracker regardless of how you're playing the deck.

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention Scapeshift is beyond disgusting with him.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 4 years ago

How does he work with dredge? Could you loop Shambling Shell with him, for instance?

BeneTleilax

Well, here's what I've thrown together so far. I decided not to go with dredge regardless, as I'm not interested in combo'ing, and reanimator didn't really mesh with the rest of the deck.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Skello496

BeneTleilax wrote:
4 years ago
Well, here's what I've thrown together so far. I decided not to go with dredge regardless, as I'm not interested in combo'ing, and reanimator didn't really mesh with the rest of the deck.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Sweet! I definitely would swap out cratermaker for Doubling Season. I think that's a huge must-play in this deck. I built a decklist also, so I may post it later.
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Ghired, The Tokened gwr

BeneTleilax

Skello496 wrote:
4 years ago
Sweet! I definitely would swap out cratermaker for Doubling Season. I think that's a huge must-play in this deck. I built a decklist also, so I may post it later.
With more treasures, I'll have to give DS a try again. I found it frequently winmore in my old Mazirek list, on top of having commander CMC, but it merits reconsideration here given the better token value. I'd love to see your own list!

Skello496

Decklist

Planeswalkers

Approximate Total Cost:

This deck is a lot more removal heavy than yours, and I'm sure it can use some major work still, but it's a fun start.
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Ghired, The Tokened gwr

BeneTleilax

Looks nice, Tainted Strike is something I'd had my eye on as well. The removal is probably a meta call, but in my experience with Mazirek, a sufficient density of Fleshbag Marauders works better, especially paired with incidental damage like Mayhem Devils to sweep away any fodder. Also on that point, why aren't you running Living Death? With as many repeatable sac outlets as we have, it's easy to turn into a Plague Wind. Besides, it's the only wrath I saw in our colors that forces sacrifice, so it can be fun with things that care about that.

Skello496

Tainted Strike is a must-run I think, at least at first. The instant kill ability of it is just worth adding it right off the bat.

As for Living Death, I was thinking about it totally wrong, and it definitely should slot in. I'm thinking swap that for Damnation. I know usually Crux of Fate would be the obvious choice, but I love the ability to kill everything but the commander.
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Ghired, The Tokened gwr

sweetwaterbob

Skello496 wrote:
4 years ago
Decklist

Planeswalkers

Approximate Total Cost:

This deck is a lot more removal heavy than yours, and I'm sure it can use some major work still, but it's a fun start.
This looks like a solid start! Temur Sabertooth and Dockside seems like a great pairing and if both that and food chain outlets fail you can fall back on creature beats.

Nice spread of interaction, win outlets, and grindy value so far.

Skello496

Thanks!
Any upgrades you can think of or changes you would make?
The interaction listed is pretty heavy, but that's meta-relevant so i won't be changing that. Any other suggestions are appreciated!
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Ghired, The Tokened gwr

BeneTleilax

If you want another combo, Animation Module goes infinite with either altar and Korvold. It has a pretty high floor here as well.
Last edited by BeneTleilax 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

sweetwaterbob

8 sources of card draw related to creatures dying and 2 sources of card draw without any setup. Maybe try to add in something like night's whisper or painful truths that don't require any set up?

Also maybe replace putrefy with nature's claim.

Any reason why the gitrog monster is excluded from the list?

If you do put the frog in why not replace some of the 2cmc artifact talismans with 2cmc green ramp since sacrificing lands can also play into your commander's ability?

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I've done a lot of research and come up with my own brew which you can check out here => viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12691

But I thought I'd add to this thread some ideas that I didn't run with in the end but I think they have really strong merit.

Running Korvold as a Goblin general actually has a lot of synergy with so much in-built sacrifice creature abilities. And draw is by far the best way of winning games.

There are a number of cards that sacrifice lands, so you can leverage against the symmetrical effects by drawing into cards that are going to allow you to get ahead more quickly. Say more land drops and mana sources.

There are some tricky ways to sacrifice artifacts for bonuses, so built around the right shell can make for a really powerful deck I'd imagine.

These were just sacrifice outlets that I thought could be good.

Hemsey

Post by Hemsey » 4 years ago

I really like the idea of bloodghast+perilous forays, but that kind of forces you to run a lot more basics just for 1 card...
Im also going to try to see if some combination of worldshaper/splendid reclamation/ mending of dominaria are worth a slot or two, especially since the deck is already running scapeshift

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”