Bant bounce options

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

So, I have a casual deck in Bant colours that has all the Torpor Orb effects in it. Because of this, I decided to include Wormfang Manta.

Since it is a torpor orb deck, this is the only card that benefits from flickering effects... and so I don't have any. I have one spell that can bounce a creature, Simic Charm.

I am trying to think of other effects I can use that would allow me to trigger the WM without creating infinite turns. I would like them to be generally useful cards since WM is the only card that will benefit from it.

The deck is a fusion of hatebears, clues, and edric, spymaster of trest effects. The generals are Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa and Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix. Pretty much the whole deck has 2 or less power and I basically want to disrupt my opponents with hatebears, draw cards, and use Kydele to crack the clues for more card draw.

Manta is just a pet card that finally has a home, but I do not want to rely on my opponents' board wipes to trigger it.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Tags:

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

So to be clear, you want versatile bounce effects but not stuff like Capsize and Crystal Shard that theoretically threaten to go infinite? And they can't be creatures like Whitemane Lion or Shrieking Drake because your deck has a full Torpor package to prevent EtBs? And it needs to be able to target your stuff, so the usual suspects for bounce like Cyclonic Rift are out?

That is narrow, but a few effects I like in my Yuriko deck are...

Mystic Confluence and Cryptic Command: The Big Boys, always have targets and purpose.

Curfew: Surprisingly disruptive and fun. Can break a voltron list, disrupt token swarms, and save your own stuff.

Into the Roil/Repulse/Blink of an Eye: Targeted bounce is usually a bit lame in Commander, so making them cantrips is a nice way to offset the inherent card disadvantage.

I'd also say that Ghostway, Eerie Interlude, Teferi's Time Twist/Otherworldly Journey/Long Road Home, and Venser, The Sojourner all seem like Flicker effects that have enough additional upside as to be worth running even with all the Torpor effects. Additionally, if you aren't already running them, it seems neat to use Wormfang to transform a bunch of your disruption effects like Pongify, Beast Within, and Path to Exile into Time Warps with upside.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I mean, soulherder makes infinite turns. pretty good. :)

Dunharrow

Hawk wrote:
4 years ago
So to be clear, you want versatile bounce effects but not stuff like Capsize and Crystal Shard that theoretically threaten to go infinite? And they can't be creatures like Whitemane Lion or Shrieking Drake because your deck has a full Torpor package to prevent EtBs? And it needs to be able to target your stuff, so the usual suspects for bounce like Cyclonic Rift are out?

That is narrow, but a few effects I like in my Yuriko deck are...

Mystic Confluence and Cryptic Command: The Big Boys, always have targets and purpose.

Curfew: Surprisingly disruptive and fun. Can break a voltron list, disrupt token swarms, and save your own stuff.

Into the Roil/Repulse/Blink of an Eye: Targeted bounce is usually a bit lame in Commander, so making them cantrips is a nice way to offset the inherent card disadvantage.

I'd also say that Ghostway, Eerie Interlude, Teferi's Time Twist/Otherworldly Journey/Long Road Home, and Venser, The Sojourner all seem like Flicker effects that have enough additional upside as to be worth running even with all the Torpor effects. Additionally, if you aren't already running them, it seems neat to use Wormfang to transform a bunch of your disruption effects like Pongify, Beast Within, and Path to Exile into Time Warps with upside.
Thanks for your post. I do not think I want one-off blink cards, but mystic confluence is something I was considering and I will see if my mana can support cryptic. Beast Within et al are great suggestions, than you. Venser can go infinite turns so will definitely not make the deck.
pokken wrote:
4 years ago
But I specifically want to avoid going infinite.

pokken

Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
pokken wrote:
4 years ago
But I specifically want to avoid going infinite.
There are not many efficient blink sources that won't blink something once a turn. I think most of them have been mentioned. For me I think the best are:
It's pretty easy to accidentally go infinite with that card and anything actually efficient though. Interlude + witness goes infinite for example on accident.

Dunharrow

E Wit is not in my deck since it is a torpor orb deck.

I guess I am looking for one-shot bounce effects or flicker effects that have modality like mystic confluence or simic charm.

pokken

Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
E Wit is not in my deck since it is a torpor orb deck.

I guess I am looking for one-shot bounce effects or flicker effects that have modality like mystic confluence or simic charm.
It was just an example. For modals, I think mystic/cryptic are the best. simic charm is weak.

Mass bounce is something the thread hasn't really explored but it's very good in a torpor orby deck. evacuation and flood of tears in particular spring to mind.

Dunharrow

Evacuation could be good. I would be scared to flood of tears and allow opponents to take advantage for a turn without hatebears.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 years ago

Someone beat me to Momentary Blink. Great Card. Saves your creatures from removal (twice) even if you don't trigger ETB. Also Ephemerate in the same vein.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

Vanish Into Memory could be really fun. Its still a reasonable card in a lot of cases acting as filter but it wouldn't go infinite, it would draw 6 / discard 1 if you target him and give you only one extra turn.

The hard part of what you are after here is that you are looking for one shot ways to make it better rather than repeatable ways. Generally speaking flicker effects tend to work poorly alongside torpor orb effects though as ETB effects tend to be some of the best things to abuse with them..
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Scapegoat can be costy to play just to bounce the Manta, but it also can save your board.

Aether Mutation is anothe choive you have in Simic. Of course, it's expensive but on a Manta it will net you 7 tokens.

Temur Sabretooth looks like a perfectly abusable one, but things are only as abusive as you make them. I think it's a prefectly useful body to have when not going with Manta. Hatebears are very cheap and it can be used to save some your board from a boardwipe.

TGambitG

Post by TGambitG » 4 years ago

I mean, you already said you don't want to go infinite... But... Conjurer's Closet? You don't HAVE to bounce it at end turn, but if you want that extra turn, it's there.

Dunharrow

TGambitG wrote:
4 years ago
I mean, you already said you don't want to go infinite... But... Conjurer's Closet? You don't HAVE to bounce it at end turn, but if you want that extra turn, it's there.
No.

I want to build casually and play competitively. Putting in a 2-card infinite turn combo is the opposite of what I want. Having the win on board and not using it throws away the integrity of the game, in my opinion.

KMA_Again
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by KMA_Again » 4 years ago

For single use, Boomerang is great not just for the Manta but for tempo purposes. Chain of Vapor I enjoy because of how cheap it is and if you politick right, it can be multiple removal at once. Wipe Away is one of the best single-target bounces due to its split second so it can disrupt combos.

OCPunisher

Post by OCPunisher » 4 years ago

Time Wipe? Counts as a wrath and saves/bounces one of your own?
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

Dunharrow

OCPunisher wrote:
4 years ago
Time Wipe? Counts as a wrath and saves/bounces one of your own?
I have been thinking about this. Two of my torpor orbs are creatures, so I feel like it is a nonbo. Thanks for the suggestion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”