Unreleased and New Card Discussion

ZenN
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

Battle of Frost and Fire is actually pretty cool. 4 damage is often enough to wipe the board of the majority of things, and the rest of the value you get from it is nice. I don't think it goes into any of my decks right now, but it's definitely something I could see myself playing in the future. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see it get played in some other formats.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

Does Clarion Spirit actually get in Feather? Half the tokens but with flying seems to put it around the level of Y Peezy.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

Narfi, Betrayer King is so fun and casual. So natural a card to appear in Tormod, the Desecrator's deck or vice versa, and the virtual 3 cmc is really good.

BeneTleilax

Sedris, the Traitor King
Someone at Creative really likes traitor kings.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

Mystical Reflection is straight up bananas.
I mean, Chasm Skulker death trigger on the stack plus anything = profit!?
Combined with other colors/token generators like Avenger of Zendikar, Tempt with Vengeance and so forth, oh boy.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 3 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
3 years ago
Sedris, the Traitor King
Someone at Creative really likes traitor kings.
I'm still really peeved about Ajani, the Greathearted for obvious personal reasons.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

BeneTleilax

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Aegar, the Freezing Flame is pretty dang interesting.
I wouldn't say interesting, in that he's another 'whenever you X, draw a card', but he's certainly a strong general for Izzet Giant tribal and damage-based wraths. Between this and Toralf, Blasphemous Act just got good deal better.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Honestly these uncommons are baffling to me. The giant is the perfect example: instead of being an awesome timmy card it's a puny 3/3 that draw cards. Yawn.
More Gishaths less "draw a card" please. But i guess it's just my opinion.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
3 years ago
Mystical Reflection is straight up bananas.
I mean, Chasm Skulker death trigger on the stack plus anything = profit!?
Combined with other colors/token generators like Avenger of Zendikar, Tempt with Vengeance and so forth, oh boy.
You can also have your opponent's Ugin enter the battlefield as a mana dork or a token. Very versatile card!
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
3 years ago
More Gishaths less "draw a card" please
You do realise that Gishath is draw++, right? He draws them and then cheats them into play :P

I don't like how many commanders in the set incentivise you to stop your opponents from playing the game. Sarulf, Realm Eater, Tergrid, God of Fright, Toralf, God of Fury, now Aegar, the Freezing Flame. None of them are as oppressive as Child of Alara, I acknowledge that. But you don't have to be the best at something to be unpleasant.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Candlemane

Post by Candlemane » 3 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
ilovesaprolings wrote:
3 years ago
More Gishaths less "draw a card" please
You do realise that Gishath is draw++, right? He draws them and then cheats them into play :P

I don't like how many commanders in the set incentivise you to stop your opponents from playing the game. Sarulf, Realm Eater, Tergrid, God of Fright, Toralf, God of Fury, now Aegar, the Freezing Flame. None of them are as oppressive as Child of Alara, I acknowledge that. But you don't have to be the best at something to be unpleasant.
Saraulf can be killed, and if three people don't have removal, then I dunno. It happens. Aegar needs some build time to really work, and blowing a wipe early doesn't help much if you keep increasing commander tax, but point taken.

As for Tegrid and Toralf, I think those are more damning in that it's less of a choice you can make in both time and strategy, depending on your build. For these two in particular, and I LOVE red, I never want to see them in a command zone myself ever, and it makes commanders I already don't like seeing like Purphoros, Yawgmoth or Nekusar even worse because they can just sit in the 99. I've been on the brink of winning games when someone topdecks something like these, in my-in-point case Urza, and completely turns the tide with one card.
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

pokken

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
3 years ago
pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Honestly these uncommons are baffling to me. The giant is the perfect example: instead of being an awesome timmy card it's a puny 3/3 that draw cards. Yawn.
More Gishaths less "draw a card" please. But i guess it's just my opinion.
turning doing suboptimal things into card draw engines is one of my weak points lol :) Pretty much the sweet spot of commander for me.

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Aegar, the Freezing Flame looks interesting to me. As others have already pointed out, it's another 'do X, draw card' commander... but I don't mind that nearly as much when it shows up on an uncommon. It also has a fair amount of flexibility - you could use it with Blasphemous Act effects, but it also triggers off giants and wizards, making them extremely awkward to chump block, which is sort of cool.

Narfi, Betrayer King is a miss for me, but I assume someone will find a way to abuse Reassembling Skeleton in the command zone. Recurring anthem effect is also reasonable.

Clarion Spirit is fun. Might test in Teysa, although casting two spells in a turn seems a bit too inconsistent there.

Battle of Frost and Fire seems like a reasonable include for giant tribal decks, even if it doesn't trigger Aegar.

Cyclone Summoner summons a pseudo-Cyclonic Rift. Again, a sweet payoff for giant / wizard decks. One of the few times I'm happy for an 'if you cast from hand' clause, because flickering this would be... gross. Other than that, asymmetric mass bounce spell is a very strong tempo play.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
Cyclone Summoner summons a pseudo-Cyclonic Rift. Again, a sweet payoff for giant / wizard decks. One of the few times I'm happy for an 'if you cast from hand' clause, because flickering this would be... gross. Other than that, asymmetric mass bounce spell is a very strong tempo play.
It is a miss for me. There are enough good giants and wizards that I would rather have something more dependable or cheaper.
Playing this just for peoples Titans to stay in play seems depressing.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

not sure how i eel about this
Attachments
ErpJi9yXMAYoqYR.png
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
Looks fine to me. I doubt highly it'll be anywhere near busted in EDH, might do some neat things in standard though (I honestly wouldn't know, tbh, I haven't been in standard for aeons). Like any saga, it's pretty slow without some sort of counter manipulation so it's probably fine wherever you might choose to run it.

I love the art. It suits the saga template well, and looks gorgeous.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

BeneTleilax

Could see some play in Angel tribal where the removal mode can kill a bunch of dudes.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

Firja's Judgment looks absolutely beyond stupid in limited. Can't wait for all my opponents to have one.

In commander, it seems medium. Angel tribal is most likely never going to be very good, and at absolute best, this seems worse than something like Necromantic Selection in terms of swinging the board in your favor. You'd need to really get big damage from the double strike, which seems pretty slow and predictable. Still a fine card ofc, not even bad as a standalone, but I don't think it's anywhere near broken. 7/10?
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
Kills most eels - Coral Eel and Sky-Eel School always die, Electric Eel, Skitter Eel, and Windrider Eel die if not pumped. Slipstream Eel lives.

That said, a Serra Angel, delayed Setessan Tactics, and Flying Crane Technique is a solid package for any angel tribal deck. With this and Rampage of the Valkyries, looks like Orzhov angels is getting some solid support. I don't think I'd run it without tribal synergies though - token and a kill spell is fine, but I would favor Ravenous Chupacabra due to its immediate payoff and unconditional targeting.

pokken

Firja's Punishment is definitely extremely pushed and likely to be very good in its small niche in EDH lol :) Kinda makes me want to build a Sigil of the Empty Throne deck again.

toctheyounger

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Firja's Punishment is definitely extremely pushed and likely to be very good in its small niche in EDH lol :) Kinda makes me want to build a Sigil of the Empty Throne deck again.
Ghen, Arcanum Weaver enchantress/angel tribal or something? Could be spicy. Jam in a Luminarch Ascension and you're 3 cards deep already :P

pokken

I think there's a deck there. You can play the usual Skybind with powerful etb angels like Angel of Serenity too.

Black also gets you the powerful animation enchantments for your fat angels. Kinda nice.

toctheyounger

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
I think there's a deck there. You can play the usual Skybind with powerful etb angels like Angel of Serenity too.

Black also gets you the powerful animation enchantments for your fat angels. Kinda nice.
There totally is. Gisela, Blade of Goldnight gives you some sort of finisher, and you've got reanimation with stuff like Animate Dead. Emeria Shepherd gives you redundancy for permanent recursion when your commander drops off. Mark of Fury makes sure you can swing with impunity.

You could get really nasty with it too, with stuff like Doom Foretold and Overwhelming Splendor.

Could actually be a pretty cool build.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

I know a guy that will run Firja's Punishment in his Changeling tribal deck for sure!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”