Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 2 years ago

I'm not sure there's need to spin off a new format. Just rule zero in classes. Seems like the sort of thing you should get away with most of the time, especially if none of them turn out busted.

Fighter Class would be the dream Sunforger.dec commander.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
2 years ago
I'm not sure there's need to spin off a new format. Just rule zero in classes. Seems like the sort of thing you should get away with most of the time, especially if none of them turn out busted.

Fighter Class would be the dream Sunforger.dec commander.
Seems like an iffy idea. What about color combinations that don't get a class? Do 3+-color decks get multiple ones?
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

JWK wrote:
2 years ago
What about color combinations that don't get a class? Do 3+-color decks get multiple ones?
Why would you get to add colours to classes? You don't add colours to legends.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 2 years ago

I wish Bard Class was Selesnya for Captain Sisay.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
2 years ago
Why would you get to add colours to classes? You don't add colours to legends.
I was thinkin' bout letting the mono-colored ones multiclass but the way they're doing it is kinda weird color-wise (e.g. Fighter being multicolored is...not what I expected).

So far the uncommon ones looking pretty ridiculously underpowered compared to the rare ones which is fine in some senses but presents some issues of half the classes not being playable with each other.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

I just wanna take a second to say - after two years of them saying "they're working on White", I think they actually did white justice in this set.

Flumph still isn't omega-amazing, but it's a huge step in the right direction compared to Secret Rendezvous.
Ingenious Smith is no Elvish Visionary but it's pretty close in an artifact-centric deck. Seems really good.
Guardian of Faith is an awesome recurrable twist on Teferi's Protection or Eerie Interlude.
Moon-Blessed Cleric is a recurrable Enlightened Tutor. At uncommon.
Oswald Fiddlebender is a just incredible card in the 99 or the Command zone. Awesome card is awesome.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 2 years ago

Goddamnit, WotC, stahp it already...

ps. At least me and other Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle players get Artifact Bugler aka Ingenious Smith to play with. :love:

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

Red got severely hosed in the class cards. I guess it's good it wasn't white for once. And with the past few sets, Boros/Lorehold is coming out pretty darn sweet.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Old Gnawbone is not that bad. Sakiko already exists, and is hardly an omnipresent staple. True, this follows recent design trends of "take existing card, sauce it up, make it cost one more to compensate", but this is no Nyxbloom Ancient. That said, the card still has potential, and there are numerous decks where this is still going to contribute. I'd quite like to run it in my Simic pile as it's kind of goofy, but I feel it would be a bit too strong there.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Yeah, Old Gnawbone mostly seems win-more-y, or an upgrade to Savage Ventmaw in GRx Dragon decks. It's a good card, and can be nutty in some decks (like Chatterfang, Squirrel General) but I don't think it's broken or too nutso.

Also definitely feels like a Red card, but what can ya do?

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Lots of interesting stuff today.
  • Ingenious Smith looks excellent. I think I slightly prefer Glint-Nest Crane in my Sharuum deck, but potentially turning into a giant beater is a very significant upside. Maybe I should try it out, if only for some variety? Hmmm...
  • Old Gnawbone represents a ton of mana. Treasures are fun. Seems like an easy include in big stompy decks like Xenagod.
  • Sefris of the Hidden Ways is another commander for decks that want venture into the dungeon. Pretty open-ended as to how to get creatures into your graveyard, but potentially venturing four times per turn cycle (once on each player's turn) means Sefris can complete dungeons very quickly.
  • Prosper, Tome-Bound is pretty vanilla, but card advantage + mana production is pretty good. May also fuel some degeneracy alongside impulsive draw effects - chaining them and rituals seems entertaining. Not sure what other obvious ways there are to cast stuff from exile. I guess adventure cards / rebound / suspend / foretell?
  • Iymrith, Desert Doom looks quite solid. Protects itself, generates card advantage, works well when hellbent. I'd like to try it out in Thada.
Classes look very sweet. They sort of remind me of commanders, in that they can function as a build-around that makes a given strategy or archetype better. All of them look quite solid for the decks they go in - they're generally light on self-contained value, so I wouldn't throw them in a random deck, but they're powerful enablers if you can support them. As enchantments, they're also significantly less vulnerable than level-up creatures, which is nice. Difficult to evaluate without testing though - most of the first levels are pretty underwhelming, and reaching level three is expensive, even if those abilities are generally quite strong.

....I do like Rogue Class and Fighter Class though.
Last edited by Mookie 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

I had to check, and yeah, in addition to Prosper, Tome-Bound triggering off all those exile red draw effects, he also gives you Treasure for all those exile black thief effects (exile the top card on an opponent's deck, then you can play it as long as it remains exiled). He can be good friends with Tibalt, Cosmic Imposter.
Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
[*]Prosper, Tome-Bound is pretty vanilla, but card advantage + mana production is pretty good. May also fuel some degeneracy alongside impulsive draw effects - chaining them and rituals seems entertaining. Not sure what other obvious ways there are to cast stuff from exile. I guess adventure cards / rebound / suspend / foretell?
Madness works, and it's in-color too!
Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Split the Party has my favorite flavortext in the history of Magic. Beautiful.

Shame it is a sorcery - at instant speed, it'd have some real potential. But it is uncommon, so it's a nice budget option.

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 2 years ago

So far I'm liking the overall flavor, probably because it's DnD, aka what has set up a lot of generic fantasy storytelling for the modern day. Thankfully, I'm not seeing a lot I want to actually pick up. Some of the legends so far, and just a couple generic value/roleplayer type cards in most colors. And the Classes. Should hopefully save some money on this release.

Class Update:
Barbarian Class
Bard Class
Cleric Class
Druid Class
Fighter Class
Monk Class
Paladin Class
Ranger Class
Rogue Class
Sorcerer Class
Warlock Class
Wizard Class
Last edited by Sanity_Eclipse 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

Hawk wrote:
2 years ago
Split the Party has my favorite flavortext in the history of Magic. Beautiful.

Shame it is a sorcery - at instant speed, it'd have some real potential. But it is uncommon, so it's a nice budget option.
Ehhh... still think Hex is better. Split the Party's is way up there though.
Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
2 years ago
So far I'm liking the overall flavor, probably because it's DnD, aka what has set up a lot of generic fantasy storytelling for the modern day. Thankfully, I'm not seeing a lot I want to actually pick up. Some of the legends so far, and just a couple generic value/roleplayer type cards in most colors. And the Classes. Should hopefully save some money on this release.
I'm really ahppy with this set so far. There's a handful of flavor fails for sure but for the most part I feel like the flavor is hitting with me. We just got You meet in a Tavern. "Start a brawl"? lulz, I've literally experienced this.

This art feels pretty fantastic to me.

Shout out to Ebondeath, Dracolich... Dracolich is probably my favorite monster type.

I'm super curious to see the Mythic Red Dragon.

Sanity_Eclipse

^ Side note kinda sorta,

I always did like the off-color dragons from Tarkir, etc so AFR is tickling that itch a little bit as well and it's fairly cool. 🤘
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 2 years ago

Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Sanity_Eclipse

More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

Vrondiss is legit but not exactly what I was personally seeking. I knew after hearing Gavin describe him that the precon name "Draconic Rage" was gonna Dragon's Maze me. Given how legendary creatures are made these days, I'm both surprised and amused that the tokens sacrifice themselves when they deal any kind of damage because they actually sat down and thought about things for once. They knew Dragon Tempest was a card...

I am already profoundly annoyed with Rogue Class without even playing against it yet. Please stop pushing spell stealing. They're a joke that's less funny each time they tell it and the mechanic should have stayed a novelty and not just something you can make as your entire strategy.

I don't know how Druid Class managed to be an uncommon but into my No Rares Tatyova you go I guess

Iymrith, Desert Doom is alright. Basically a worse Dragonlord Ojutai

UnfulfilledDesires
Pronoun: they / them

Post by UnfulfilledDesires » 2 years ago

My Rosheen Meanderer deck is happy about Treasure Vault. I like that Nylea's Intervention finds it. It won't come up too often, but I appreciate additional X costs.

My Saskia the Unyielding Heroes' Podium deck may want Bard Class, Prosper, Tome-Bound, & Kalain, Reclusive Painter.

Sanity_Eclipse

Now that Treasure Vault's info has been uploaded, could be fun alongside Old Gnawbone in Titania!... [ sing-song voice ]
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Treasure Vault is another artifact land and another friend of Revel in Riches. What a world.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
2 years ago
Potentially good for Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive and Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow as well.
Is there a reason Tetsuko would want to play it? It's already flying so giving it unblockable seems less interesting, and in general I would think she'd favor creatures that come with their own damage triggers instead of needing Coastal Piracy variants.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

Yeah Treasure Vault has some potential alright. Also, artifact land that comes into play untapped :O

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

Igzex wrote:
2 years ago
I am already profoundly annoyed with Rogue Class without even playing against it yet. Please stop pushing spell stealing. They're a joke that's less funny each time they tell it and the mechanic should have stayed a novelty and not just something you can make as your entire strategy.
Actually, I'm quite fond of the strategy, both to play with and against.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”