Unreleased and New Card Discussion

JWK
Elder Thing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

Except for enchantress decks, the main reason I can think of that you'd run Minimus Containment over Generous Gift is that Gift now costs a few bucks and MC will presumably be pretty cheap. I tend to use these sorts of removal aura effects mostly on people's commanders, to put them out of play for however long it takes for the enchantment to be removed. This one allowing the permanent's controller to remove it at will while gaining mana strikes me as somewhat less than optmal, especially since you are actually giving them part of the mana needed to just recast the permanent if its a commander. That said, the fact that it hits a range of permanents makes it sometimes potentially better than something like Lignify or Darksteel Mutation. Sometimes that Darksteel Forge has to be dealt with, and having another option for doing so is never a bad thing.

In enchantress, I would 100% run it. Sram is getting a new toy.

I guess it's a fine if somewhat unexciting card.
Last edited by JWK 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

With Old Gnawbone being released in addition to Tireless Provisioner I think I no longer have any excuse to not add green to my Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith soon to be formerly Rakdos Treasure deck. I only hope it ends up being a couple dollar mythic and not a $15-$20 one like Goldspan Dragon.

Also Xorn was exactly the type of treasure card I was looking for from the set.

While some of the stuff in this set is a miss for me (mostly the D&D specific stuff), I have to say I am enjoying the modal and treasure focus.

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 2 years ago

Old Gnawbone and Xorn are pretty sweet.

Barbarian Class looks interesting. Uncommon, so potentially others in the cycle could be decent. The question is, do the levels stack? Do you lose the previous as you level up? for a dice roll boost, one dude getting +2/+0 and menace, and all your dudes being hasty isn't bad.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
2 years ago
Old Gnawbone and Xorn are pretty sweet.

Barbarian Class looks interesting. Uncommon, so potentially others in the cycle could be decent. The question is, do the levels stack? Do you lose the previous as you level up? for a dice roll boost, one dude getting +2/+0 and menace, and all your dudes being hasty isn't bad.
I am assuming it will. It wouldn't make much sense otherwise.

Also Prosper, Tome-Bound makes me excited to see the RB commander deck (besides being another great card for my Toggo treasure deck). Hopefully it will a lot of treasure making goodies.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 2 years ago

Old Gnawbone is extremely strong

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 2 years ago

My brother's Korvold deck is loving all of this Treasure support. We are thinking about making it a treasure theme now since it fit's Korvold's flavor and give him a theme to work around. Really liking Xorn to pair with Tireless Provisioner and Pitiless Plunderer. Not sure if the big dragon is impactful enough as a 7-drop there, but we'll see where the price lands. Goldspan Dragon is a bit over budget for that deck.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Prosper seems surprisingly vanilla to me for a precon commander. It's not awful, but getting one draw per turn and some treasure doesn't really blow me away, nor provide much of a direction to go in. Obviously there are lots of ways to cast spells from exile, but is getting one treasure really worth building around? He kinda seems like the RB version of the generic simic commander lol - draw and ramp.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

Ok I guess green finally has another good flier now! I'm gonna be having dreams of hitting someone with a Xenagos, God of Revels boosted Old Gnawbone.

Yeah Prosper looks really simple compared to your typical face precon card.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

PrimevalCommander wrote:
2 years ago
My brother's Korvold deck is loving all of this Treasure support. We are thinking about making it a treasure theme now since it fit's Korvold's flavor and give him a theme to work around. Really liking Xorn to pair with Tireless Provisioner and Pitiless Plunderer. Not sure if the big dragon is impactful enough as a 7-drop there, but we'll see where the price lands. Goldspan Dragon is a bit over budget for that deck.
I have to say I am resisting all temptation to take out Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith (and whoever I end up partnering him with to make him Jund) and shove in Korvold, Fae-Cursed King. But I already know how that deck plays out, which is the same every time, as you play Korvold, draw half your deck, and win with one big attack or Torment of Hailfire. The temptation to not include him in the 98 is already hard enough.

Also, for Old Gnawbone, in a treasure deck seven-mana isn't a lot, especially when she can get back all the mana you put into her the turn she comes out and can be tutored out at instant speed by Magda, Brazen Outlaw.
DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Prosper seems surprisingly vanilla to me for a precon commander. It's not awful, but getting one draw per turn and some treasure doesn't really blow me away, nor provide much of a direction to go in. Obviously there are lots of ways to cast spells from exile, but is getting one treasure really worth building around? He kinda seems like the RB version of the generic simic commander lol - draw and ramp.
As someone who plays a treasure deck, easy, repeatable treasure sources are always appreciated and always at a premium. The fact that he includes a form of draw and can not only play lands he exiles, but also those lands get treasures, should turn him into an auto-include in any RB treasure, sacrifice, or artifact deck.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

I am gonna slam Prosper into my Halana/Vial Smasher deathtouch tribal deck He produces mana and draws cards, both are great in that deck (and lots of others).
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Dang, never thought any general would directly play with my good friend Praetor's Grasp…also, we're getting good ammo for Revel in Riches.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

prosper, tome bound is a pretty interesting effect for RB.

Probably a lot of 4 card infinite nonsense with cards like Eternal Scourge too. :P

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
As someone who plays a treasure deck, easy, repeatable treasure sources are always appreciated and always at a premium. The fact that he includes a form of draw and can not only play lands he exiles, but also those lands get treasures, should turn him into an auto-include in any RB treasure, sacrifice, or artifact deck.
He's fine in the 99 but I can't imagine wanting to build a deck around him, I don't think, and he's one of the precon commanders.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
He's fine in the 99 but I can't imagine wanting to build a deck around him, I don't think, and he's one of the precon commanders.
While not for everyone, I do think Prosper, Tome-Bound provides an unique and interesting ability. Red has a ton of stuff that can cast from exile like Light Up the Stage, so he basically gives everything you cast from exile a Birgi, God of Storytelling // Harnfel, Horn of Bounty trigger. In addition there are a lot of unique ways to trigger his ability in RB, from Gonti, Lord of Luxury, Stolen Strategy, Etali, Primal Storm, Cascade cards, Madness cards, for example. And even payoffs like Laelia, the Blade Reforged (which admittedly is the only red exile payoff I can think of). Plus you could always lean into his treasure making abilities and make him the lynchpin of a RB treasure deck.

Sanity_Eclipse

Cleric Class and Bard Class from the Mothership, both are pretty decent methinks.

Minsc, Beloved Ranger
Legendary Human Ranger (M)
When ~ ETB, create Boo, a legendary 1/1 red Hamster token with trample and haste.
: Until EOT, target creature you control has base P/T X and is additionally a Giant. (Sorcery Speed)
3/3
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

all these classes are so cool! Kolvori's gonna be mad she's not RG and can't be a Bard though giggle

pokken

The classes are really neat, agreed. The rare one (bard) is legitimately really cool. It's almost a shame they can't be your commander :)

(I wonder if there's a subformat in there where you pick a class as your commander?? That might be fun as heck)

edit: OK, this is a cool idea, I claim it and the name of the format is Adventurer.
Last edited by pokken 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sanity_Eclipse

Also, Warlock Class! Link

Class Level abilities do stack as you level, they stack with multiple copies of each class, and you can "multi-class" as well. While you don't track level-up progress with counters as a mechanic, I suspect we'll all still use a D4 or D6 or whatever just to keep track.

That "Class as Commander" format could be pretty sweet. 🤘
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

pokken

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
2 years ago
Also, Warlock Class! Link

Class Level abilities do stack as you level, they stack with multiple copies of each class, and you can "multi-class" as well. While you don't track level-up progress with counters as a mechanic, I suspect we'll all still use a D4 or D6 or whatever just to keep track.

That "Class as Commander" format could be pretty sweet. 🤘
Let this post serve as a record that I've dubbed the format Adventurer and claimed it in the name of MTGNexus :)

Sanity_Eclipse

🤣🤘

Nice. I expect to see a post to group-think the rules shortly. 🤣
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

Level up on enchantments is pretty sweet. These cards are awesome.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

Here is just a small trivia for the non-D&D players: each of the Class cards' illustrations incorporates the symbol used in D&D 5th edition to denote that specific class.

So far we have:
- a mace with the radiant halo (this Cleric)
- a double ax (Barbarian),
- a lute (Bard),
- two scimitars and a paw (Ranger),
- a swirly magical effect (Wizard),
- an evil eye (Warlock).

Symbols for other Class cards will be:
- sickle and mistletoe (Druid),
- tower shield with crossed weapons (Fighter),
- clenched fist (Monk)
- winged helm (Paladin)
- mask and dagger (Rogue)
- a blood drop with a flame within (Sorcerer).

now i want a Hamster token....
Attachments
Boo-Minsc-Beloved-Ranger-Token.jpg
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Sanity_Eclipse

Ranger Class and Wizard Class from Reddit!

So far:
Barbarian Class
Bard Class
Cleric Class
Druid Class
Fighter Class
Paladin Class
Ranger Class
Rogue Class
Warlock Class
Wizard Class

Now that I've actually found Prosper, Tome-Bound's text lol, I like him. Not as narrow as say, IKO's commanders were with some mechanics, not as ridiculous or pushed as others.
Last edited by Sanity_Eclipse 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Wizard Class will play well with Tuvasa the Sunlit. Really like how they nabbed the saga template for these cards.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

Fighter Class

I'd love to have this in my voltron deck
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”