Unreleased and New Card Discussion

BeneTleilax
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

I'd agree with Dirk. Before EDH took off, there was a definite belief that casual was either kids playing with draft chaff or mechanically complex chaos. The latter has sort of disappeared, as more people came into casual formats who didn't want to play against Warp World on a regular basis. Any tonal issues aside, I think the black-bordered Un cards are going to drop another 5-to-10 Warp Worlds on this format, at least one of which will probably be pushed. MaRo has already confirmed this tendency somewhat in how Unfinity will use die rolls
Also, Adventures in the Forgotten Realms had worked hard to limit the variance of their die-rolling cards, the exact opposite of what an Un- set wants. Un- sets are far on the casual side of the competitive-casual scale and see high variance as a plus (competitive formats want consistency, whereas casual formats prefer that exciting things happen).
MaRo's idea of the "exciting things" that should happen in casual are cards with unpredictable and extremely swingy effects. Saw in Half has also shown that Unfinity is not bound by the normal restrictions on mechanical complexity. The die roll effects in AFR weren't even pushed outside of limited, so it's not as though the casual/competitive dichotomy he's trying to make here makes sense. Rather, several designers very consciously went away from chaotic variance for casual, and MaRo bypassed that consensus with "but it's an Un set, it's supposed to be wacky" then pushed it into black border. It speaks to a level of internal whipsawing within WotC.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
The die roll effects in AFR weren't even pushed outside of limited, so it's not as though the casual/competitive dichotomy he's trying to make here makes sense.
To be fair, limited is an important competitive format. Having swingy unpredictable cards at a major event would probably be bad for the image of the game. Un-limited won't be played anywhere that matters competitively.

I get the feeling that mark's definition of fun is pretty in-line with the sort of guy who brings a group hug deck to the table and then complains when people start targeting him.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

BeneTleilax

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
I get the feeling that mark's definition of fun is pretty in-line with the sort of guy who brings a group hug deck to the table and then complains when people start targeting him.
He's pretty clearly a troll chaos player, not group hug. The kind that punishes people for trying to plan, rather than just not planning himself. You're right that he has no idea how multiplayer works, though.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
He's pretty clearly a troll chaos player, not group hug. The kind that punishes people for trying to plan, rather than just not planning himself. You're right that he has no idea how multiplayer works, though.
MaRo is the human avatar of Confusion in the Ranks, the card Maro was merely a smokescreen.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

He's actually talked before about why he dislikes multiplayer. His basic stance is that magic was not designed to be a political game, so if he wants to play a game with politics, he'd rather play one that was designed with it in mind, such as Diplomacy.

That said, he's also talked about the type of decks he likes to play, and it's definitely not group hug. He's the type of player that tries to kill someone with Tunnel, so he'd be the person with a wacky 8 card combo that fails 90% of the time, but when it works kills someone.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Okay ease off of talking about other people. While you may disagree with a person or not like a person there is no place here on nexus to flame towards a person. we are a welcoming community and that includes developers of magic you may not like.

Ulka
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
He's the type of player that tries to kill someone with Tunnel, so he'd be the person with a wacky 8 card combo that fails 90% of the time, but when it works kills someone.
My combos may not be 8 cards, but unless it's a clear cut deck (Rats, dragon, Voltron) that sounds like the decks I build. lol
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

BeneTleilax

I wasn't really attacking MaRo, just that his idea of wacky, fun casual is not the same as most EDH players (to the extent that warp world is basically banned across several playgroups I've seen). I get that he's been an easy target, because he's basically Design's PR guy, but this set is so clearly his pet project. I think any designer's pet project set like this is going to fall victim to their own niche tastes. MaRo has just been very open about his, so you can clearly trace what comes of him not having other groups of designers to hold him back.

DirkGently

Forsaken crossroads should be a real mtg card (it's not, right?)
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Forsaken crossroads should be a real mtg card (it's not, right?)
It's part of Alchemy which is a new, digital-first format only on Magic: The Gathering Arena starting December 9, 2021! Alchemy includes all Standard sets, and rotates as it normally does but it will also regularly rebalance cards, incorporate digital-only mechanics (such as Conjure, Perpetual, Seek) and add supplemental cards with each premier set.

DirkGently

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
It's part of Alchemy which is a new, digital-first format only on Magic: The Gathering Arena starting December 9, 2021! Alchemy includes all Standard sets, and rotates as it normally does but it will also regularly rebalance cards, incorporate digital-only mechanics (such as Conjure, Perpetual, Seek) and add supplemental cards with each premier set.
I assumed it was related to the previous online-only set we saw, I just wasn't 100% positive about crossroads since there's nothing about it afaik that wouldn't work in paper. Maybe we'll see it in some later paper expansion or precon?

Would be nice to see more cards which benefit going later in the turn order to slightly offset the advantage. That's some design space I could get behind. "Retribution Demon has +1/+1 for each player before you in turn order" etc would be cool.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Yeah, Forsaken Crossroads doesn't work quite as well in paper because it's difficult to track who was the first player beyond the first few turns.
...I do wish Slayer's Bounty was in paper though. A legendary Clue I can fetch off Trinket Mage? Want!

Wallycaine

Yeah, the biggest mark against forsaken crossroads is the requirement to track who the first player was well into the game. Similarly to Skyshroud Ambush, it's a card where it *could* be non-digital, but the ability to have the computer handle the tracking for it makes it much, much easier to print and use, since you may genuinely not know who went first 15 turns into the game.

Hermes_

a simple marker like what's used for monarch could work for tracking who went first

DirkGently

I guess that's true, gemstone caverns already cares about who went first but it only matters at start of game. But mechanically it's fine. Maybe they're testing the space out, to see if it's good or not. With just one card caring people might forget turn order, but if there were a bunch of cards that cared people would remember I imagine. Could make an interesting precon even, a deck that always wants to go last for maximum power.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Wallycaine

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
I guess that's true, gemstone caverns already cares about who went first but it only matters at start of game. But mechanically it's fine. Maybe they're testing the space out, to see if it's good or not. With just one card caring people might forget turn order, but if there were a bunch of cards that cared people would remember I imagine. Could make an interesting precon even, a deck that always wants to go last for maximum power.
Yeah, my guess is basically that A) they could absolutely make this in black border paper, and B) if they made it (or something like it) in black border paper, it'd have to be a major theme of a set or product to justify making people track it. Since it sounds like a *terrible* set theme, I'm not certain it will ever make the jump, but a precon (or cycle of them) is probably its best bet.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Interesting little tidbit about Alchemy Omnath in that instead of getting rid of the ETB entirely, they changed it to scry, just so opponents could respond to the ETB trigger before you get to drop a land. A nice little design trick that I certainly would've missed/overlooked entirely.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Yeah, Forsaken Crossroads doesn't work quite as well in paper because it's difficult to track who was the first player beyond the first few turns.
...I do wish Slayer's Bounty was in paper though. A legendary Clue I can fetch off Trinket Mage? Want!
1) If you have trouble remembering who went first... I Consistently play in 4 man pods and it is pretty easy to remember who went first. Even several games into the night i am able to keep track. Its not that tough to remember.

2) Slayers bounty, the wording alone is confusing. How do you look at creatures in a player hand without looking at their hand? They may reveal some but not all. (if you have a cheater) Arena makes sure they cannot forgo revealing one of the creatures. And then what is the spellbook they are referring to?

Wallycaine

Gashnaw wrote:
2 years ago
Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
1) If you have trouble remembering who went first... I Consistently play in 4 man pods and it is pretty easy to remember who went first. Even several games into the night i am able to keep track. Its not that tough to remember.

2) Slayers bounty, the wording alone is confusing. How do you look at creatures in a player hand without looking at their hand? They may reveal some but not all. (if you have a cheater) Arena makes sure they cannot forgo revealing one of the creatures. And then what is the spellbook they are referring to?
Spellbooks are an online only mechanic. There's a list of 15 thematically appropriate cards associated with each card with a spellbook (Slayer's Bounty has a whole bunch of arrest or warden themed cards, for example) , and whenever you "draft" a card from it, you get presented with 3 of those cards to pick one of, which then gets put in your hand.

DirkGently

Also ofc the game picks out the cards to show you so it can't cheat and reveal too few.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
Gashnaw wrote:
2 years ago
Mookie wrote:
2 years ago

Spellbooks are an online only mechanic. There's a list of 15 thematically appropriate cards associated with each card with a spellbook (Slayer's Bounty has a whole bunch of arrest or warden themed cards, for example) , and whenever you "draft" a card from it, you get presented with 3 of those cards to pick one of, which then gets put in your hand.
Hmm, is there a compiled list of what cards have spellbooks and what their spellbook consists of? If so i might be able to proxy these in paper magic.

Wallycaine

Gashnaw wrote:
2 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
Gashnaw wrote:
2 years ago

Hmm, is there a compiled list of what cards have spellbooks and what their spellbook consists of? If so i might be able to proxy these in paper magic.
Currently revealed ones are in the card image gallery:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... -innistrad

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

That Gitrog is sweet. I hope they'll someday print something functionally similar in paper, but the "perpetually" bit definitely will make it tough.

Wallycaine

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
That Gitrog is sweet. I hope they'll someday print something functionally similar in paper, but the "perpetually" bit definitely will make it tough.
If you don't mind losing the ability to recur the land and keep the ability, you could use Obsidian Fireheart style templating, complete with counters. But those lands would lose the ability as soon as they were blinked or the like.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
If you don't mind losing the ability to recur the land and keep the ability, you could use Obsidian Fireheart style templating, complete with counters. But those lands would lose the ability as soon as they were blinked or the like.

I'd be cool with Obsidian Fireheart templating. The tap sac ability is just gravy, really.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”