Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Sanity_Eclipse
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 2 years ago

kraus911 wrote:
2 years ago
What's the first card that comes to mind for using with Abiding Grace?

I think it says a lot about my play style that I immediately went Spore Frog !!!
Kami of False Hope keeps it mono, for ease of use. Otherwise, these peeps
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Some more interesting stuff today....
  • Abiding Grace is super cute. I suspect that MV1 is too limiting for most decks (since it's pretty rare to run more than a handful of 1-drops), but I do like the design.
  • Sanctifier en-Vec is some very powerful gravehate, at least against red and black decks. I'm usually not a fan of color hate, but this looks reasonable.
  • Flame Blitz is narrow, but it also accurately represents what I want to do every time I run into a superfriends deck.
  • Damn is some more excellent design. I'm not sure if I would run it in EDH - I've largely moved away from Wrath of God in my decks in favor of other board wipes. I also don't think I'd run the single-targeted mode, since instant speed is so important for spot removal. However, put the two together and it does have a lot of flexibility, so it's certainly worth consideration.
  • Endurance is a very interesting grave hate option. I've contemplated Loaming Shaman for decks before, and this is pretty much strictly better. Flash makes it a pretty strong surprise, and its mere presence in the format forces people to be a little more cautious with their graveyard shenanigans.
  • Geyadrone Dihada is.... interesting, but probably not an EDH card.
  • Kaldra Compleat is a very interesting option for Stoneforge Mystic packages. I suspect Batterskull is better overall - lifelink is a really nice keyword to grant, and five mana is a lot more affordable than seven - but it's still very cool. Indestructible is also quite nice.
  • Timeless Witness is an interesting alternative to Eternal Witness. The extra mana is very relevant, but eternalizing it in the lategame for another card is sweet.

Sanity_Eclipse

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Timeless Witness is an interesting alternative to Eternal Witness. The extra mana is very relevant, but eternalizing it in the lategame for another card is sweet.
According to the half-finished "promo" version, it's E-Wit re-imagined as an Amonkhet initiate, which is at least kinda cool and interesting.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Geyadrone Dihada is personally entertaining for me because I (and no one will rightfully ever believe me because I didn't post it) had thought it would be cool if a new Sultai mechanic would be Corrupt <number> which would have you put corruption counters on your opponent's permanents. So much for me being ahead of the curve. Now I just hope one day the idea of corruption counters as a major mechanic will be possible with the path being blazed by this new card, instead of just being a one off.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 2 years ago

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Timeless Witness is an interesting alternative to Eternal Witness. The extra mana is very relevant, but eternalizing it in the lategame for another card is sweet.
I doubt it will be an alternative, but rather both will be played together

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 2 years ago

JWK wrote:
2 years ago
Flame Blitz is wonderful anti-planeswalker tech. I like!!
5 damage to every PW each of your turn for R. I don't know, I feel even 3 damage would've been excessive if it happens repeatedly to every PW.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
2 years ago
JWK wrote:
2 years ago
5 damage to every PW each of your turn for R. I don't know, I feel even 3 damage would've been excessive if it happens repeatedly to every PW.
I have a hard time having much sympathy for superfriends decks that aren't running ample enchantment removal.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

JWK wrote:
2 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
2 years ago
JWK wrote:
2 years ago
I have a hard time having much sympathy for superfriends decks that aren't running ample enchantment removal.
My mono-red Chandrafriends is very sad about this.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

JovialJovian wrote:
2 years ago
JWK wrote:
2 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
2 years ago

My mono-red Chandrafriends is very sad about this.
Yeah, my Torbran deck, which has a Chandra subtheme, won't like this much either, and I clearly won't run it there, but I still think it's a great card and I anticipate running it in some decks.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 2 years ago

Sudden Edict

Take that boggles, lol

In EDH, might be decent, but most decks are still going to prefer the Fleshbag Marauder family.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Sanity_Eclipse

Dunadain wrote:
2 years ago
Sudden Edict

Take that boggles, lol

In EDH, might be decent, but most decks are still going to prefer the Fleshbag Marauder family.
At the same time, it's Isochron Scepterable, and with split second, hard to stop.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

Dunadain
I like turtles

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
2 years ago
Dunadain wrote:
2 years ago
Sudden Edict

Take that boggles, lol

At the same time, it's Isochron Scepterable, and with split second, hard to stop.
Also didn't realize it's target opponent, not each opponent, so meh.

I mean you can Isochron Scepter it, but I feel there are probably way better spells to use.

Definitely send to be a modern card to me.

Unrelated: #free Braids, Cabal Minion

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

I love my some split second, but Sudden Edict being only single target means it's probably a no from me dawg (outside of weird decks like Toshiro Umezawa). I don't even run Liliana's Triumph or Mire in Misery overly often these days with how amazing black removal has been the last two years, and I don't think Split Second is good enough to make up for being a single-target edict effect.

Very excited for Abiding Grace. The one-drop dudes abide for sure. Obviously the dream even in color is looping Kami of False Hope and Children of Korlis, but I think plenty of decks will find plenty of value in it. Heliod is excited to try a card that has "bad Ajani's Mantra" as the floor, since the ceiling is being able to save the soul sisters, Serra Ascendant, Weathered Wayfarer, and Mother of Runes from death alongside looping Children and Alseid of Life's Bounty and stuff.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

So Titania, Protector of Argoth is getting a reprint, hopefully driving the price down somewhat.

Though, honestly, all I could think of when I saw it was about the person is always complaining that there is no foil version of Titania available. Now there is.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

I'd like moderation a lot more if it was symmetrical. As it stands, I can't see a way that this is better than any other 3 MV "draw an extra per turn" arena effect.

And at rare, hoo boy. This is awful.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Dunadain
I like turtles

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
I'd like moderation a lot more if it was symmetrical. As it stands, I can't see a way that this is better than any other 3 MV "draw an extra per turn" arena effect.

Yeah, I mean, the obvious place where this is better than Phyrexian Arena is a deck that plays a lot at instant speed, so you can cast + draw multiple cards per turn cycle. Problem is, any UWx deck that's playing at instant speed is a control deck/at least has control elements, and I don't think a little extra card draw is worth losing every counterwar.
Last edited by Dunadain 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sanity_Eclipse

Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
So Titania, Protector of Argoth is getting a reprint, hopefully driving the price down somewhat.

Though, honestly, all I could think of when I saw it was about the person is always complaining that there is no foil version of Titania available. Now there is.
There's a couple of us. I'm one of them. :grin: :rofl:
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

Dunadain wrote:
2 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago

Yeah, I mean, the obvious place where this is better than Phyrexian Arena is a deck that plays a lot at instant speed, so you can cast + draw multiple cards per turn cycle. Problem is, any UWx deck that's playing at instant speed is a control deck/at least has control elements, and I don't think a little extra card draw is worth losing every counterwar.
It's worth remembering that the vast majority of decks don't have access to Phyrexian Arena, especially white blue ones. So the spot it's competing with for those decks is more of the Howling Mine slot. The ideal slot for it is probably a less directly controlling U/W flash deck, where the goal is using other people's turns to deploy threats and answers, not directly countering stuff.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

I feel like I wanna run moderation in Zedruu and donate it to someone else.....depending on what they are playing.....
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 2 years ago

This will see play while people test it out but its pretty destined to the junk rare binder. Its just too limiting a card to be overly useful when the cantrip or outright draw options are out there, and if your cantripping your playing multiple cards a turn (usually on a opponents turn) so that your not getting hit by hand disruption.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Moderation standing alone is harsh, but white-blue has many options to share the downside with the opponent, thus erasing the imbalance.
Arcane Laboratory, Rule of Law, Deafening Silence, Eidolon of Rhetoric, Archon of Emeria, Ethersworn Canonist, and I'm sure others that haven't sprung to mind.

It's not a toss-into-everything like Phyrexian Arena, that's not the right comparison. It's a bonus to harden an existing controlling position.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 2 years ago

I'm probably going to try Moderation in my Hanna, Ship's Navigator deck. It is rare that I play multiple spells a turn and I'm already running Arcane Laboratory and Rule of Law effects. Seems like it should be worthwhile.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 2 years ago

Moderation seems like it would be good in an Ephara, God of the Polis deck.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Moderation is very interesting. Obviously a very high opportunity cost to be limited to one spell per turn, but that's a lot of potential card draw if you have ways around it. Casting multiple spells per turn is pretty important for most decks, but there are certainly some decks that can work around it. It reminds me a bit of Fires of Invention. Seems best if you have stuff like Quicksilver Amulet or Bruna, Light of Alabaster to cheat things out and advance your board without needing to cast spells. Also better if you have flash effects (such as Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage) tot take advantage of your opponents' turns.

The idea of Sea Drake enabling modern Sea Stompy amuses me. Probably not though.

Strike it Rich is interesting for Storm - I've been wanting a Manamorphose effect for my Mizzix deck, to turn red mana into blue. This isn't particularly efficient at doing so, but banking mana in a treasure for a future turn isn't terrible. Sweet combo with Academy Manufactor.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
2 years ago
Guardman wrote:
2 years ago

There's a couple of us. I'm one of them. :grin: :rofl:
This is also me! I'm incredibly hyped for a new bordered foil, or any foil for that matter.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”