Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Wallycaine
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
The 9 mana mythic Sorcery for White got revealed, and Triumphant Reckoning is... actually fairly spicy? A 1 sided Open the Vaults could be interesting for decks looking for that effect, and it tacks on mass planeswalker revival, which is fairly rare.
Idk, that whole cycle looks pretty underwhelming to me. Which is fine, really, I don't want more oops-i-win-the-game cards. 9 mana sorceries are like...the hardest thing in the game to play, though, and none of them seem like they really justify that cost.

White one is definitely better than the black one, though, so at least white didn't get the shaft this time.
Yeah, my initial reaction was colored by thinking at first that it said "Creatures" on there too, but I think it's still solid. More niche than I was thinking, but very useful in that niche.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

Maybe the white 9cmc spell is great in auras/equips? Or Kykar/other Jeskai that want noncreatures? I guess I always want more specific mass recursion than more expensive recursion of multiple card types. I do like that it is different from Replenish, Open the Vaults, and Eerie Ultimatum, though.

Unless I am missing something, Keleth, Sunmane Familiar feels very behind (and therefore appropriately white) the other familiars. So that shaft is lame.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

Serenade wrote:
3 years ago
Unless I am missing something, Keleth, Sunmane Familiar feels very behind (and therefore appropriately white) the other familiars. So that shaft is lame.
It is by far the weakest, I think. It might pair okay with Reyhan, though.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Man, Aesi, Tyrant of Gyre Strait might as well just have a Simic guild symbol instead of rules text. What a bland legend. Not that it's not strong, Simic gets all the goodies, but it's like literally Tatyova, Benthic Druid but at a rare slot. Simic really does need a flavour overhaul, they're virtually interchangeable at this point.

Also, with all the extended art cards and such I lose count. Do we have a full set yet?
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Man, Aesi, Tyrant of Gyre Strait might as well just have a Simic guild symbol instead of rules text. What a bland legend. Not that it's not strong, Simic gets all the goodies, but it's like literally Tatyova, Benthic Druid but at a rare slot. Simic really does need a flavour overhaul, they're virtually interchangeable at this point.
Which is a shame because that art is pretty sweet.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

I've been waiting to see if a 2 mana black partner was going to be spoiled because once they showed us 2 mana white parnters I've been wanting to see if there was going to be another command zone pairing for Lurrus of the Dream-Den as a companion,
Up until now you could only play Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim and Karlov of the Ghost Council.
Miara, Thorn of the Glade can be matched up with Livio, Oathsworn Sentinel or Keleth, Sunmane Familiar for Lurrus of the Dream-Den as a companion,
Elves are not know for there Orzov synergy, but you could look to sacrifice Miara each turn to get the draw and recast with Lurrus.
Anyway I've done a companion series of deck builds and Lurrus was the last one I hadn't done so I'll complete it with Miara and Livio for something a little different.

Is it just me or does the new Swords to Plowshares art feel more like Swords to 9-Iron?

Hamza, Guardian of Arashin is a great fit in my Abzan decks with both Nikara, Lair Scavenger // Yannik, Scavenging Sentinel and Tayam, Luminous Enigma as they both have +1/+1 counter subthemes.
Any deck that runs Gavony Township can look to Hamza, Guardian of Arashin as a great way to cost reduce your creatures.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
Is it just me or does the new Swords to Plowshares art feel more like Swords to 9-Iron?
FORE!

Can I just say how disappointed I am in the 9-mana white mythic Triumphant Reckoning? It doesn't return creatures. It's some asymmetrical Open the Vaults plus planeswalkers. and, like, I get that rezzing planeswalkers is super powerful, but we could already do that with Primevals' Glorious Rebirth.

As written, this card is just... sad.

toctheyounger

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
Hamza, Guardian of Arashin is a great fit in my Abzan decks with both Nikara, Lair Scavenger // Yannik, Scavenging Sentinel and Tayam, Luminous Enigma as they both have +1/+1 counter subthemes.
This was my first thought too, but I gotta be honest, the amount of spells I cast of any kind in Tayam, Luminous Enigma is pretty low. If it reduced Tayam's ability cost, sure, but that's sorta busted.

That being said, I do have a couple of higher cost control elements that it might be helpful for, so it's probably worth trialling at least.

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
Well, the art isn't exactly new and I am pretty sure that exact same comment was made when it was first printed :P
Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
Edit: Aesi, Tyrant of Gyre Strait is absurd, as a Tatyova, Benthic Druid with Exploration built in. Because what the format clearly needed was a better Tatyova. Wyleth, Soul of Steel also looks solid.
God, I hate Aesi so much. I built Tatyova a while back and took her apart because it was unfun, and the turns took forever. Adding in an Exploration effect just exacerbates the issue. And, of course, it is derivative and lacks any sort of originality.

But, Wyleth is exceptionally intriguing. I have done a lot of introspection on Gisela. She is a deck I like a lot, and I have done a lot with to make her more competitive. Part of the initial appeal of her was the inclusion of a lot of equipment and those have been trimmed down a bit. I am wondering if this commander might be enough of a reason to revisit that idea, with Wyleth at the helm instead of Gisela.

The main issue is that it only works with him, So, if he isn't out, there goes the card draw so I doubt I could lean on him too much as a source of draw but having an additional option, and a low to the ground general, could be good.

darrenhabib

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
Can I just say how disappointed I am in the 9-mana white mythic Triumphant Reckoning? It doesn't return creatures. It's some asymmetrical Open the Vaults plus planeswalkers. and, like, I get that rezzing planeswalkers is super powerful, but we could already do that with Primevals' Glorious Rebirth.

As written, this card is just... sad.
The 9 mana cards have just felt off in card design to me personally.
I would have made these "Overload" cards with the 9 mana being the overloaded cost to get the big effects and just designed them differently.

Triumphant Reckoning 3w
Return target artifact, enchantment, planeswalker from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Overload 6www (You may cast this spell for its overload cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all instances of "target" with "each.")

Soulfire Eruption 2r
Choose target permanent opponent controls. Exile the top card of your library, then Soulfire Eruption deals damage to the target equal to that card's converted mana cost to that permanent. You may play the exiled card until the end of your next turn.
Overload 6rrr (You may cast this spell for its overload cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all instances of "target" with "each.")

Reshape the Earth 2g
Return target land you control to hand and search your library for a land card, put onto the battlefield tapped then shuffle your library.
Overload 6ggg (You may cast this spell for its overload cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all instances of "target" with "each.")

Profane Transfusion 4bb
Target opponent life total becomes the lowest life total among players. You create an X/X colorless Horror artifact creature token, where X is the life lost by players this turn.
Overload 6bbb (You may cast this spell for its overload cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all instances of "target" with "each.")

Mnemonic Deluge 3uu
Exile target instant or sorcery card from a graveyard. Copy that card twice. You may cast the copies without paying their mana costs. Exile Mnemonic Deluge.
Overload 6uuu (You may cast this spell for its overload cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all instances of "target" with "each.")

Krensh

Post by Krensh » 3 years ago

My initial reaction to Aesi, Tyrant of Gyre Strait was "are you effing kidding me, another big/mana, all-in-one Simic commander?"

However, I actually think Aesi is good in that it fills a particular hole: Aesi is powerful enough and provides enough ramp that you can play a Kraken/Leviathan/Serpent tribal deck and not completely eat %$#% while also being flavorful in that regard.

Speaking only for myself, I very much enjoy playing Commander for flavor, and in my play group we strive to balance powerful and fun effects with flavor. Anyway, Aesi is a very nice mix of power and flavor for that particular tribe, which is cool; part of the reason to play EDH is to use cards you don't use anywhere else, IMO. Aesi does a better job filling this hole than Arixmethes, Slumbering Isle whose flavor I like more, but doesn't seem as good.

Like, I love the art and flavor of Colfenor, but was kind of bummed about the card text, seemed a little underpowered relative to other recursion commanders and Doran is already a better fat butt treefolk tribal commander. Alas.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I actually am weirdly interested in building Hamza, Guardian of Arashin as a Tempered Steel commander.

Just need to think of a compact GW combo that can go off with free artifact creatures without too much setup, maybe Enduring Renewal and a sac outlet or something.

Playin cards like Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit and Steel Overseer and Hardened Scales and what not all sounds really fun.

Serenade
UnderKing

Whoa, maybe Hamza, Guardian of Arashin is the Selesnya artifact general of prophecy.

Wallycaine

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
I actually am weirdly interested in building Hamza, Guardian of Arashin as a Tempered Steel commander.

Just need to think of a compact GW combo that can go off with free artifact creatures without too much setup, maybe Enduring Renewal and a sac outlet or something.

Playin cards like Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit and Steel Overseer and Hardened Scales and what not all sounds really fun.
Ooh, that is a cool idea. Especially since Modular and the like mean it's pretty easy to get a head start on having +1/+1 counters on your dudes to get the discount on him.

If you're looking for infinite etb's, Ancestral Statue and Guardians of Koilos go infinite once you've got your discount up to 5. ...Oh, wait, Ancestral Statue does that all by itself, I thought it had a "another" clause on it somewhere.

Serenade
UnderKing

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Oh, wait, Ancestral Statue does that all by itself, I thought it had a "another" clause on it somewhere.
Nevermind my original post. I had the wrong tab open. This is a neat combo.

darrenhabib

pokken wrote:
3 years ago

Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle gives you angles on artifact creatures, especially with cost reduction there are plenty of infinite loops.

Venerated Loxodon is a neat way to get +1/+1 and then you can cast Hamza, Guardian of Arashin for gw.
I like that you could all do this with only two mana in play and a bunch of cheap creatures.

Maybe start a "let's brew" to flesh out ideas?

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Will do. Ancestral Statue plus whatever ETB effect is real strong for sure.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 3 years ago

So many spicy cards to brew with. With patners this will be a nightmare

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
You know... thinking about it. I've always wanted to make Leviathan tribal featuring Jokulmorder and Polar Kraken. Aesi, is super boring but he might be strong enough to make that deck actually functional in a casual setting.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

Has anyone played against Kodama much?
Last edited by BeneTleilax 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
3 years ago
jared carthalion=Jared Trump
follow the lines
the true heir will rule again
trust the plan
What a strange thing to say in such an unrelated discussion. Let's keep the politics out of this, shall we? We're all here to talk Magic amongst friends.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

So I've pieced together a couple of decks based on new legends, and they're fun times. Gilanra with Eligeth on support is a fun vehicle for slinging silly splashy spells, and I took it as an excuse to see just how busted Kodama is. Turns out, a sublimely ramp-heavy shell (even one sporting an average CMC of 4.30) with all the fetches is the perfect place for it to do a stupid. Kodama lands with a Tatyova effect on the field, rips a ramp spell. Lands come in, draw a bunch, drop in some fetches off Kodama triggers, draw a bunch, rip fetches, get lands, draw a bunch, flop in free lands off Kodama triggers, draw a bunch, play more ramp spells, draw a bunch... once I reached double digits land cheated into play I just shame-scooped. If it said nonland, or strictly less than, it would have been okay. Me getting a free Kamahl when I cast Ulvenwald Hydra was fine. But the land chain reaction of doom - considerably less so.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Wallycaine

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
pokken wrote:
3 years ago
I really dig akroma, it's jus so awkward to apply I doubt I would play it except online :P

One nice thing about her though is she "combos" with her Akroma's Will to do like a global +6/+6 and double strike? :P That's craterhoof territory., flying and doublestrike and +6/+6 makes a board of like 6 1/1's lethal for two people.

For four mana that's pretty nuts.

Makes me want to put together some kinda tokensy deck with her. Maybe Kodama landfall tokens that tap for mana (Earthcraft, etc.) would be fun? :)
Actually, do we know how she interacts with "Protection from All Colors"? On one hand, that feels like it's probably +1/+1. But on the other hand, "Protection from Black and Red" feels like it should give +2/+2 to me, and that's a strict subset. And does Commander's Plate count as 1 protection, or 1 for each color? It's probably worth getting that clarified, and may end up hinging on whether or not a protection ability uses "and"... or I might be wrong, and "Protection from Black and Red" will count as one protection, and distinct from "Protection from Black" and "Protection from Red".
If anyone else was curious how this worked, Akroma will only give +1/+1 for a particular keyword once, even if you've got more than one version of it. So "Protection from Black and Red" will give you +1/+1, just like "Protection from Lands" would, but having both doesn't give you any additional bonus. Makes sense thinking about it, since otherwise you'd have to keep track of how many instances of first strike a card had, and that seems silly.

Ginuqu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Ginuqu » 3 years ago

can we expand this thread to an entire subforum? conspicuously missing are "so whatcha grabbing from the latest set" threads and canned reviews and things

my power rankings for CMR cards with Partner written on them when played in four-of casual:

^^^ Tormod, the Desecrator - this is clearly powerful and frankly I am always the Ashen Ghoul person in the room anyway
^^^ Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh - abusable in so many ways for incredibly marginal advantages, a casual must-have (surely OP as a commander?)
^^^ Sakashima of a Thousand Faces - actually has an ability welcome in four-of casual!
^^^ Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist - nice and broken, another tool for Colossus Hammer decking
^^^ Krark, the Thumbless - mayhem's great, big red sorceries are great, just avoid the "you're not even trying to win!" types
^^ Ich-tekik, Salvage Splicer - creates a new deck, more or less, with populate and baubles (think function, not just eggs.dec)
^^ Prava of the Steel Legion - uniquely tanky + avoids having a comma in their name (the card names in this set are really bad)
^^ Armix, Filigree Thrasher - really efficient and monomanic aggro card, makes you think Scrapheap Scrounger which also rules
^^ Brinelin, the Moon Kraken - makes me wanna make a Suspend deck
^^ Ghost of Ramirez DiPetrio - I like this, high on self-mill and you can "tutor" every turn in a Timepiece deck or what have you
^^ Numa, Joraga Chieftain - a strictly mono-green scaler in priest of titania.dec? there are also five hexproof elves
^^ Dargo, the Shipwrecker - snappy name and basically an entire deck by himself, I like, Kuldotha Rebirth needs more play
^^ Nadier, Agent of the Duskeriel - big mana Izoni and Nadier seems so fulfilling and powerful
^ Alena, Kessig Trapper - I like mana legends and power-matters stuff but perhaps not on the same card
^ Keskit, the Flesh Sculptor - hard to use boardchurn/reprocessing this radical but I like him (human?)
^ Halana, Kessig Ranger - I like her, very generic but could be a one-of in any of a million midrange strats
^ Rebbec, Architect of Ascension - too goldfishy but its a new ability
^ Eligeth, Crossroads Augur - I miss when sphinxes had mysterious abilities instead of just being OP Mahamoti Djinns
^ Miara, Thorn of the Glade - I like these utility 1/2s for 2 like this and new Jolrael but elves are too good as it is
^ Livio, Oathsworn Sentinel - usually an adjunct to another strategy which justifies the Partner text but makes it unexciting here
^ Kamahl, Heart of Krosa - people are just gonna resent Overrun man I think
= Gilanra, Caller of Wirewood - onslaught elves weren't this boring, I remember the block
= Alharu, Solem Ritualist - feels like the card already basically existed
= Slurrk, All-Ingesting - i'm "if it had a +1/+1 counter on it" overdosing and the ZNR cards were better than this
= Glacian, Powerstone Engineer - maybe the nineteenth-best blue artifact-matters legend
= Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith - in-joke too belaboured for me to read the card but it's 2/2 for 2 and has the best creature type lol
v Siani, Eye of the Storm - moon heron
v Radiant, Serra Archangel - craw wurm
v Sengir, the Dark Baron - well he's big
v Malcolm, Keen-eyed Navigator - I don't wanna play pirate tribal, pirates were actually just bad people. also the card is too good
v Breeches, Brazen Plunderer - another Pirate tribal guy but this time with a really terrible name
vv Akroma, Vision of Ixidor - hyper boring
vv Kodama of the East Tree - hyper pushed
vvv Jeska, Thrice Reborn - squinting at this but I love the zero in the loyalty box
vvv Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools - I'm old, I find this card unreadable
sorta mad at magic right now

toctheyounger

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
You know... thinking about it. I've always wanted to make Leviathan tribal featuring Jokulmorder and Polar Kraken. Aesi, is super boring but he might be strong enough to make that deck actually functional in a casual setting.
Yeah, no it seems good in that respect. I guess it just galls me that those colors don't need the sort of help that seems now to be synonymous with that color pairing. It just seems sort of brainless in terms of design.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”