Unreleased and New Card Discussion

brainface
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by brainface » 3 years ago

Couver wrote:
3 years ago
Probably an exercise in futility but I'm determined to make Radiant, Serra Archangel work. Until today I figured the best partner for her was Siani, Eye of the Storm but what do people think of Gilanra, Caller of Wirewood ? Gives you the ramp from green and a small payoff with card draw. Slim pickings as far as small green flyers go though so the deck would likely skew mono w. It does also give access to Sigarda, Host of Herons and Shalai, Voice of Plenty which is nice when trying to voltron with Radiant.
I used Selvala, Explorer Returned at the helm of a white/green wraths and angels deck a while back and really enjoyed it. I think you could do worse! Ramp, Wrath, drop big fat angels. You have some fun cheaty enchantments like lurking predators and wild pair to shoo some more angels out, too.

Couver
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Couver » 3 years ago

I was just thinking about creatures but that is a great point about other cards that can support the deck. I love Lurking Predators !

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
Don't get too hyped, the leaks already spoiled it and it's a glorified outpost siege. Bell Borca, Spectral Sergeant is the name, I think.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

Akroma is the last white mythic in this set, right?

White mythics in this set sux.

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 3 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
3 years ago

Isn't there suppose be a 9 mana mythic sorcery?

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

illakunsaa wrote:
3 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
3 years ago

Yes. A lot of people are thrown off by the fact that there's usually not more than 3 mythic a color, but this set has 22 mythics, so while not all colors will get 4 (cause there's a lot of artifacts/lands), white will probably get a 4th

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
illakunsaa wrote:
3 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
3 years ago

Yes. A lot of people are thrown off by the fact that there's usually not more than 3 mythic a color, but this set has 22 mythics, so while not all colors will get 4 (cause there's a lot of artifacts/lands), white will probably get a 4th
And given other 9cc sorcery we got, I'm not looking forward to it.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

That new Akroma is a bookkeeping nightmare.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

Just count up the Akroma keywords and give each creature +X/+X where X is its number of Akroma keywords.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
I doubt she'll be that bad in practice. I'm mostly very salty that she doesn't have haste. Her art is also super snoozy.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

New Akroma will slot into my Odric keyword tribal deck, She will further boost the team, and is a good enough second in command if Odric is killed too many times to cast or turned into a tree or otherwise unavailable for whatever reason.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Wallycaine

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
I doubt she'll be that bad in practice. I'm mostly very salty that she doesn't have haste. Her art is also super snoozy.
Agreed on the bookkeeping. You mostly just look at what keywords things have, and add based on that. The weirdest will probably be if you have a bunch of different keyword granting stuff, like both Always Watching and Knight Exemplar out with a mix of creature types and tokens. Even then, it's not much harder than if those anthems gave an extra +1/+1, so should be doable.

Sadly, the fact that she natively swings as a 10/10 and becomes lethal commander damage with just Double Strike probably precludes her getting native haste. Just an extra hoop to jump through to auto kill people.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
For my money, the worst bookkeeping cards are ones that create persistent effects i.e. counters. Cathars' Crusade being perhaps the most egregious example. Akroma doesn't seem that bad imo, you don't need to count unless you're getting involved in combat.

@Wallycaine it attacks as 11/11, doesn't it?

EDIT: oops I'm dumb.

But also dear god she's so terrible without buffing herself. Tokens usually don't have abilities, and buffing actual cards by a couple points seems....disappointing for a 7 cmc commander.
Last edited by DirkGently 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Sadly, the fact that she natively swings as a 10/10
She does not pump herself.

It's such a weird card. I think it wants her to be the win con of a go-wide strategy, yet her stats are tremendous.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Wallycaine

Serenade wrote:
3 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Sadly, the fact that she natively swings as a 10/10
She does not pump herself.

It's such a weird card. I think it wants her to be the win con of a go-wide strategy, yet her stats are tremendous.
Ahh, the "other" blended right into the symbol backdrop, and I glazed right over it. Clearly, the combo is with Sakashima of a Thousand Faces, and let them pump each other!

I think it's a combo? She's the mass pump for a go widekeyword strat, but at 7 mana she obviously needs to tango nicely too.

Serenade
UnderKing

Yep, Sakashima was what I was thinking. Maybe Jeska, Thrice Reborn given Akroma's monstrous stats (throw a sword on her and you are ready to one-hit).

Wallycaine

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
For my money, the worst bookkeeping cards are ones that create persistent effects i.e. counters. Cathars' Crusade being perhaps the most egregious example. Akroma doesn't seem that bad imo, you don't need to count unless you're getting involved in combat.

@Wallycaine it attacks as 11/11, doesn't it?

EDIT: oops I'm dumb.

But also dear god she's so terrible without buffing herself. Tokens usually don't have abilities, and buffing actual cards by a couple points seems....disappointing for a 7 cmc commander.
There's a solid number of ways to grant keywords across a bunch of tokens in the form of various anthems, and obviously Concerted Effort and Odric, Lunarch Marshal combo extremely well, granting at least +4/+4 to your team. I think she provides some interesting directions to go, especially since she can still pick up a partner to expand into other colors. Amusing thought: Kamahl, Heart of Krosa's land babies become absolute monsters with both on the field, turning into 8/8's if I'm doing the math right.

Serenade
UnderKing

OH, MAN. I missed that she pumps for partner. Not sure if that will come into play, but consider Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar gets +3/+3 and Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh gets +4/+4. Akiri, Kraum, Tana, Tymna, lots of partners can get some nice boosts. That is neat.

I calc 8/8s out of Kamahl's lands as well.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I really dig akroma, it's jus so awkward to apply I doubt I would play it except online :P

One nice thing about her though is she "combos" with her Akroma's Will to do like a global +6/+6 and double strike? :P That's craterhoof territory., flying and doublestrike and +6/+6 makes a board of like 6 1/1's lethal for two people.

For four mana that's pretty nuts.

Makes me want to put together some kinda tokensy deck with her. Maybe Kodama landfall tokens that tap for mana (Earthcraft, etc.) would be fun? :)

maeos

Post by maeos » 3 years ago

oh boy looks like my clone deck with sakashima x ooze will now actually be sakashima x akroma. CLONE ALL THE AKROMA!!! love how each additional clone will be +5/+5 anthem for each akroma clone

Wallycaine

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
I really dig akroma, it's jus so awkward to apply I doubt I would play it except online :P

One nice thing about her though is she "combos" with her Akroma's Will to do like a global +6/+6 and double strike? :P That's craterhoof territory., flying and doublestrike and +6/+6 makes a board of like 6 1/1's lethal for two people.

For four mana that's pretty nuts.

Makes me want to put together some kinda tokensy deck with her. Maybe Kodama landfall tokens that tap for mana (Earthcraft, etc.) would be fun? :)
Actually, do we know how she interacts with "Protection from All Colors"? On one hand, that feels like it's probably +1/+1. But on the other hand, "Protection from Black and Red" feels like it should give +2/+2 to me, and that's a strict subset. And does Commander's Plate count as 1 protection, or 1 for each color? It's probably worth getting that clarified, and may end up hinging on whether or not a protection ability uses "and"... or I might be wrong, and "Protection from Black and Red" will count as one protection, and distinct from "Protection from Black" and "Protection from Red".
Serenade wrote:
3 years ago
OH, MAN. I missed that she pumps for partner. Not sure if that will come into play, but consider Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar gets +3/+3 and Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh gets +4/+4. Akiri, Kraum, Tana, Tymna, lots of partners can get some nice boosts. That is neat.

I calc 8/8s out of Kamahl's lands as well.
Oh wow, pumping for partner is pretty adorable. Agreed that it prooooobaly won't matter most of the time, but it is a nice boost for whatever partner you pair her up with, since they'll likely get +2/+2 at least, since many have at least one keyword.

Ginuqu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Ginuqu » 3 years ago

Bell Borca's great. it'd be nice if caring about stuff in exile became a new thing red-white could do!
sorta mad at magic right now

Serenade
UnderKing

Jared Carthalion, True Heir is so weird. No static abilities, but he is cheap. I guess you are making your opponent the target as monarch, but it might not work out too well dropping him T3 unless someone else can start attacking that monarch. THEN you have to get it back and pump him with what? Pyrohemia? Solar Blaze/Wave of Reckoning? Seems like a lot of hoops...and therefore on point with an old character. =P

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

Court of Ire is pretty predictable as a red monarch card. It should still be pretty good in Queen Marchesa and Torbran, Thane of Red Fell.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”