Unreleased and New Card Discussion

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
Sneak attack for 4 mana per activation is a vastly different card than sneak attack at 1 cost activation. This puts me more into the mindset of Impromptu Raid than sneak attack. By the time you're "cheating" a creature into play, you've invested at least 8 mana (1 for unblockable duder, 3 for Umezawa himself, 4 for the Ninjutsu ability). At that point, you're not getting much more of a discount than you would off something like Thran Temporal Gateway, which is not exactly tearing up things, even if it was printed as a commander. Personally, I'd look at playing him as a proper ninjutsu lord, with only a few fatties and the occasional combo piece (Palinchron and 7 lands that tap for 9 goes off, for example). Won't be a high power deck, but I'm skeptical that the sneak attack plan would be either.
Maybe I'm missing it, but how does palinchron go off, exactly? Every time you ninjutsu you need to bounce another unblocked attacker?

There's only 18 cards on scryfall with ninjutsu at the moment, and some of those are pretty trash. I'm not sure what the point of including most of them would be anyway - unless you want to capitalize on a cheap ninjutsu cost, you might as well be putting a legitimate threat into play instead of Okiba-Gang Shinobi or whatever, considering the cost is the same with umezawa out. Unless you think he's going to be dying a lot, but then a lot of the ninjas are just pretty crap.

Not sure what the right split is between evasive dudes and fatties is, but probably more towards fatties. You only need 1-2 evasive dudes total, whereas more fatties is always good. Idk that it's a deck that grabs me, though. If there was motivation to choose clever targets instead of the biggest dumbest crap, then it'd be interesting, but alas there is not.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

ironic gesture
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by ironic gesture » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
Personally, I'd look at playing him as a proper ninjutsu lord, with only a few fatties and the occasional combo piece (Palinchron and 7 lands that tap for 9 goes off, for example). Won't be a high power deck, but I'm skeptical that the sneak attack plan would be either.
Maybe I'm missing it, but how does palinchron go off, exactly? Every time you ninjutsu you need to bounce another unblocked attacker?
If you ninja in palinchron, it itself is an unblocked attacking creature to be bounced again. 702.49c The creature with ninjutsu is put onto the battlefield unblocked. It will be attacking the same player or planeswalker as the creature that was returned to its owner's hand.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
Sneak attack for 4 mana per activation is a vastly different card than sneak attack at 1 cost activation. This puts me more into the mindset of Impromptu Raid than sneak attack. By the time you're "cheating" a creature into play, you've invested at least 8 mana (1 for unblockable duder, 3 for Umezawa himself, 4 for the Ninjutsu ability). At that point, you're not getting much more of a discount than you would off something like Thran Temporal Gateway, which is not exactly tearing up things, even if it was printed as a commander. Personally, I'd look at playing him as a proper ninjutsu lord, with only a few fatties and the occasional combo piece (Palinchron and 7 lands that tap for 9 goes off, for example). Won't be a high power deck, but I'm skeptical that the sneak attack plan would be either.

There's only 18 cards on scryfall with ninjutsu at the moment, and some of those are pretty trash. I'm not sure what the point of including most of them would be anyway - unless you want to capitalize on a cheap ninjutsu cost, you might as well be putting a legitimate threat into play instead of Okiba-Gang Shinobi or whatever, considering the cost is the same with umezawa out. Unless you think he's going to be dying a lot, but then a lot of the ninjas are just pretty crap.

Not sure what the right split is between evasive dudes and fatties is, but probably more towards fatties. You only need 1-2 evasive dudes total, whereas more fatties is always good. Idk that it's a deck that grabs me, though. If there was motivation to choose clever targets instead of the biggest dumbest crap, then it'd be interesting, but alas there is not.
If only we had some indication that there were new Ninjutsu cards coming out that are costed to more modern standards.

And yes, as noted, Palinchron becomes an unblocked attacker, and can get bounced by *another* card's ninjutsu ability. Hence why you need 7 lands that tap for 9, so you make infinite mana. Alternately, with a good etb on another creature in hand, just tapping for 8 can be enough to get infinite ETB's.

DirkGently

Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
If only we had some indication that there were new Ninjutsu cards coming out that are costed to more modern standards.

And yes, as noted, Palinchron becomes an unblocked attacker, and can get bounced by *another* card's ninjutsu ability. Hence why you need 7 lands that tap for 9, so you make infinite mana. Alternately, with a good etb on another creature in hand, just tapping for 8 can be enough to get infinite ETB's.
Oops, I am le dumb for not figuring out the Palinchron combo. Been too long since I've actually put cards on the table I guess.

Of course we'll get more ninjas, but the problem is that the number of ninjas that are actually good is quite low. And while we'll likely get a couple spicy rares/mythics, we'll also likely get a bunch of draft fodder. And even for the splashy rares and mythics, usually their ninjutsu is >= 4, so when you're probably better off playing out some huge bomb instead of a usually-non-evasive mediocre ninja.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

I am hoping for some interesting ninjas. We have 1 but i really want more. I run yuriko, and want it to be ninja tribal. It is close but we need more ninjas. Preferably with jetpacks.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Going back to Yatsufusa's item about Hidetsugu being a spirit as well: Neheb was a Legendary Creature - Zombie Minotaur Warrior…TWICE.

So there's a ton of room in that line.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

DirkGently

Is the Kami War real? Seems weird they'd make a card that wants to be a commander so bad, but can't.

Probably not amazing at any rate, but could be fun as a rule 0 option. I wouldn't be surprised if Sheldon unofficially officially says it's ok to play (again, assuming realness).
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Unofficial Spoiler Discussion
The Kami War looks somewhat interesting. Definitely not legal as a commander though, given that neither side is legendary. If it were legendary, I could speculate about there being some errata to support a card as a commander if either side is a legendary creature.... but given the point is moot, that seems unlikely. I could see it getting rule 0'd in some circles though.
Fun fact: it looks like both the existing legendary-creature-only-on-the-back cards are mono-black (Elbrus, the Binding Blade // Withengar Unbound and Westvale Abbey // Ormendahl, Profane Prince).
Anyway, as a card in the 99, it's... fine? Similar to Elspeth Conquers Death, you get some flexible removal, a tempo play, and a respectable body. That said, the fact that you need five colors limits it significantly.

Personally, I'm more excited for the 'modified' batching keyword - clumping together auras/equipment/counters makes it a lot easier to fit cards into a deck that only cares about one of them.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

I honestly just assumed it was legendary. Interesting.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
I have a feeling the RC nixed it being a possible general, as it would become another consolidating 5C goodstuff deck, or just get spammed to repeatably exile everyone's stuff from the CZ. After so many fringe cases kept being pushed into the CZ, I must say I'm glad someone drew a line ahead of this.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 2 years ago

So far this seems real and I think its really cool. They have talked on how Sagas are deciduous (they can be in any set if it makes sense or is needed design wise) and only fit on worlds with "rich pasts" and Kamigawa certainly does and it fit right into the "traditional vs modern" by being the sagas of the plane's past. Being DFC sagas that turn into creatures also is a nifty evolution of sagas and gives them an identity for this set. As Innistrad 3 also set up the spirit and/or enchainment matters deck this will fit in if all of them keep being spirit creatures. I hope we get some saga support, if Tamiyo gets a card it would be very flavorful to have her being a saga walker as ssing stories to summon creatures also feels very much like how Tamiyo's magic works.

Its also a fun new way to have enchantment creatures that aren't tied to Theros.

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I have a feeling the RC nixed it being a possible general, as it would become another consolidating 5C goodstuff deck, or just get spammed to repeatably exile everyone's stuff from the CZ. After so many fringe cases kept being pushed into the CZ, I must say I'm glad someone drew a line ahead of this.
Possible but I think there other more likely factors.

1-The fact this starts off as a saga keeps it from being a commander full stop, won't matter if the back was legendary.

2- From other leaks we have seen the backs of more possible saga creatures all of which are enchantment creatures. From talks about Theros, they have mentioned that Legendary Enchanment Creature- God amount as much as they can fit on a type line so "Legendary Enchanment Creature- Spirit Dragon" just won't fit. I even guessing the spelled out "this creature is all colors" is because they didn't have the room on the type line.

3- As said there seems to be more saga turned creatures so this seems like a theme for the set. The two of them, "Echo of Death's Wail" and "Remnant of the Rising Star", call backs to older cards and aren't legendary. So I don't see "The Kami War" in needing to stop being legendary, its just following what the other the saga creature are doing.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

DirkGently

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I mean, if you think this is anywhere near the power level of Golos, Kenrith, Sisay, Jodah, Prismatic bridge, etc I think you're wrong. how is someone "spamming this repeatedly"? it costs 6 to start and goes up from there, and exiling one permanent is extremely weak sauce for 1wubrg. Not that it's terrible but it's definitely not going to replace the power of those other cards.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 2 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
I'm purely going off public statements from Mark Rosewater. He's explained repeatedly that having more than one type of border on a sheet is logistically impossible. I believe it does have to do with the process of cutting, and that borderless cards have special requirements for that that make that whole sheet significantly more expensive to produce, which is why there's never more than one sheet worth of borderless promos, and they occur at a rate of one per pack or less. I would speculate that making an entire set use that process would be far too expensive for them to sell for less than collector booster prices. Which would be a very very different product, and likely one getting even more complaints than the current implementation.

It might also be worth considering that even if Un-sets aren't for you, there are people who find them fun and would prefer a fun limited environment (which Unstable did have, imo).
In addition to being more expensive, I also recall that not every printer/facility can use the technique required (technological limitation of the hardware, probably), which means they might not be able to produce at the volume of a whole supplemental set, especially one they plan to print to demand.

DirkGently

Time for a power ranking of the basic lands!

#10 - plains 293. It simultaneously feels like there's too many different elements, and yet nothing interesting is happening.

#9 - island 296. I expect this will be controversial, but I don't think it fits with the traditional vibe of the series in style or subject. In another context it would be awesome but here it's out of place.

#8 - mountain 299. Nice, but the dragon isn't really vibing for me and there isn't a lot else going on.

#7 - forest 302. I like the framing and style, but the perspective isn't my favourite and it's kinda hard to see what's going on.

#6 - forest 301. This is where it starts to pick up for me. I like how the houses are tucked away at the bottom, overshadowed by the massive trees.

#5 - plains 294. Really like the detail here. Looks like it could be a where's Waldo puzzle.

#4 - swamp 297. Basic looking at a glance, but with lots of detail hidden behind the leaves. Very classy.

#3 - island 295. More than any other, this looks like classical art. Anyone could identify the style instantly. Iconic.

#2 - mountain 300. This captures the classic style nearly as well, but I love the story it tells too. Plus I just love snow. I'd always be happy drawing this.

#1 - swamp 298. A different style from the more classic ones, but the composition and color is flawless imo. Simple, beautiful, elegant. Can't ask for more from a basic.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

I feel like I am an insufficiently enthused by japanese culture to enjoy this set's aethetics. OG kamigawa is pretty cool, but the basics here feel like jumping the shark.

Edit: sentence removed for being lame on my part. Enjoy kamigawa 2 if you enjoy kamigawa 2.
Last edited by TheAmericanSpirit 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

DirkGently

I just like having somewhat higher art on my cards. Doesn't much matter whether it's Japanese or something else. Most mtg art doesn't have a strong artistic style, aside from the obvious standouts. Seb lands when?
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

There's a seb Blood crypt now! 1/10 for shocks and another incentive to play rakdos.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

DirkGently

the legendary land cycle is exciting. Gonna get my loam on fo sho.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Eigango, Seat of the Empire is very interesting. Clearly better than a basic (barring fetchability / nonbasic hate), but I'm not sure how often I would actually channel it. On the other hand, Sun Titan / land recursion exists, and could be interesting in a Life from the Loam package.
Similar to the Emeria's Call // Emeria, Shattered Skyclave cycle, this cycle looks to be extremely powerful.

wildfire393

Post by wildfire393 » 2 years ago

My Crimson Vow set finally came in so I'm playing some cards from it for the first time tonight. My first move? Jamming like 8 Wastes into my new Wulfgar of Icewind Dale with zero colorless-mana matters cards just so I can ramp using Hiveheart Shaman. Tune in for our stream tonight to see how badly this blows up in my face!

Update: Despite drawing two of the Wastes in my opening hand, I didn't end up with any mana issues. And I did manage t4 Hiveheart Shaman into t5 Wulfgar. This meant double triggering on turns 5 and 6, leaving me with ten mana on turn 6, which let me cast both Nacatl War-Pride and Márton Stromgald. Turn 7 had me staging lethal attacks against the entire board with Battle Cry Goblin thrown into the mix, leading to 13 total creatures meaning +24/+24 from Marton. Of course, I ran straight into Moment's Peace, which stymied both that attack and the next turn's one, and I died before I got a third chance. Either way though, success!

DirkGently

light-paws looks extremely cool. Hope it's not broken.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

wildfire393

Post by wildfire393 » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
light-paws looks extremely cool. Hope it's not broken.
Seems narrower than something like Oswald Fiddlebender, who is also a repeated tutor in the command zone. Auras just aren't all that strong, even if you're getting additional auras with tutoring out of it.

I'm excited for the deer spirit with enchantment synergy and recursion because I've always wanted to make Evershrike work and this plays in a lot of the same spaces. Throw in some Tallowisp and you can really start cooking with gas.

Serenade
UnderKing

Light-Paws only can grab enchant creature/permanent auras, right? Just wondering if I have a new toy for my curses deck or not.

DirkGently

Serenade wrote:
2 years ago
Light-Paws only can grab enchant creature/permanent auras, right? Just wondering if I have a new toy for my curses deck or not.
I assume he can only get auras that can attach to him. I'd assume that the ruling is something like "if he finds an aura that can't be attached to him, it can't leave the library since it has to be attached to him to do so, so it just gets reshuffled".

Might brew something up with him today. Although I imagine he'll be a deck with very little variance, which is unfortunate.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Yep, that's what I figured.

As a general, it feels weak unless it had immediate Kitsune Mystic // Autumn-Tail, Kitsune Sage support. Still not great.

Using it in Sigarda, Host of Herons/Siona, Captain of the Pyleas auras might be fun. At least it would provide a home for my Epic Proportions and Colossification.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”