Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

tstorm823 wrote:
2 years ago
Come oooooonnn, splice! Show me splice!
I liked this instantly thinking it was about splicers, forgot about splice onto.

More golems!

The intersection of Splicer's Skill is delicious too.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 2 years ago

Ooh, there's some 9 letter mechanics! Come on flashback! Keep that Moment's Peace dream alive!

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

I'm personally hoping for more Madness cards. It's always been one of my favorite mechanics.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
tstorm823 wrote:
2 years ago
Come oooooonnn, splice! Show me splice!
I liked this instantly thinking it was about splicers, forgot about splice onto.

More golems!

The intersection of Splicer's Skill is delicious too.
A card that can splice onto instant or sorcery that targets is one of my dream cards. I don't care if it's as dinky as "target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn", just let me splice and target Precursor Golem with any instant or sorcery, and I will play that card.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

"a planeswalker from the past that has previously only had a legendary creature card" strongly implies Dakkon Blackblade.

I'm very excited for "a white enchantment with a trigger that investigates". More white card draw is always nice to see.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
"a planeswalker from the past that has previously only had a legendary creature card" strongly implies Dakkon Blackblade.
Dakkon is on the draft packs, so it probably is him.

As for this "a character that first appeared in a Magic novel finally becomes a legendary creature", I think it will probably be Araithia Shokta. I remember reading somewhere that they wanted to give her a card in War of the Spark, but was created too late in the process to be added.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

A few AFR cards to whet the appetite while waiting for MH2 spoilers.
  • Lolth, Spider Queen is mildly interesting. Looks pretty similar to Liliana, Dreadhorde General - draws cards, makes tokens, benefits from your things dying. Presumably will play very different in practice though, since she only ticks down and needs you to kill things to tick up. Ultimate isn't that splashy, but it can come online the turn you play her, so that's a thing.
  • Bruenor Battlehammer is another Boros equipment commander option. Most significant because he appears to be an uncommon. Free equips are good.
  • Drizzt Do'Urden is a passable value card in a vacuum, but there are shenanigans you can do with stuff like Force of Savagery and Phyrexian Dreadnought. Double strike is always worth looking at - seems like an interesting voltron option. Does Selesnya have good voltron options other than Sigarda, Host of Herons?

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Lolth is... fine. I think the drastically higher card draw a one more mana will put Lilly over her in Aristocrats, but her ult might earn her a slot in bx token combat decks. GB spider tribal too, of course.

Drizzt doesn't self-protect, which is ever more decisive for voltron generals as the archetype continues to decay. I think if he has a place outside of vorthos decks, it will be as a fallback win on in the CZ for GW counters or tokens.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

Why is Lolth, Spider Queen a planeswalker? I am... confused.

Drizzt Do'Urden seems really really strong... That's 10/4 in stats for 3GW. That seems like an absurd amount of value for that mana cost. Not necessarily for EDH but just in general.

Bruenor Battlehammer seems strong but doesn't interesting me at all.

pokken

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
Drizzt doesn't self-protect, which is ever more decisive for voltron generals as the archetype continues to decay. I think if he has a place outside of vorthos decks, it will be as a fallback win on in the CZ for GW counters or tokens.
Drizz't is pretty good with Phyrexian Dreadnought I heard

He has an ability to get gigantic at a low rate using unique-ish effects and doesn't require auras or stuff attached, which I think will let him dodge the whole 'voltron commander needs hexproof' thing.

But 5 mana sure is a frigging lot, and he has no evasion. So probly you're right

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 2 years ago

Drizzt Do'Urden I love this character so I feel obligated to make a deck around him but what? Maybe I'll finally get around to building a casual deck. I usually build focused/optimized decks so maybe it's time to tune it down a little, lol.

Also, what's up with that second ability? Guenhwyvar makes sense but how is growing bigger when something dies a reference to Drizzt (let alone a Selesnya mechanic, Drizzt might be Selesnya but that second ability feels very Golgari). I'd much rather the second ability was just an activated ability to resummon Guenhwyvar.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

brainface

Post by brainface » 2 years ago

I like to think I'm pretty smart but I just can't parse Lloth's ultimate... like, if you attack with 8 power in dudes, does it do nothing? Does it instead matter which one hits first if they're all 1/1s? Does it calculate when resolving so like... all your attack steps in which at least one creature deals damage to an opponent cause at least 8 life to be lost per turn per opponent but otherwise lloth doesn't help?

She is making my eyes cross a lot and I think it's just a spiders have 8 legs joke. :|

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

If you do 8 or more damage total to an opponent it does nothing. If you do less than 8 they will take damage so that the total becomes 8.

brainface

Post by brainface » 2 years ago

So... best case scenario you have like a 1/1 first striker to resolve 1 damage and 7 lost life and then non-first strikers dealing damage, or... an infect creature would deal damage in the form of poison counters and then cause 8 life to be lost?

BeneTleilax

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Drizz't is pretty good with Phyrexian Dreadnought I heard

He has an ability to get gigantic at a low rate using unique-ish effects and doesn't require auras or stuff attached, which I think will let him dodge the whole 'voltron commander needs hexproof' thing.

But 5 mana sure is a frigging lot, and he has no evasion. So probly you're right
He still requires you to invest other cards him, which is risky regardless of their type. He's certainly a good flavor card for people who really liked the books. I mostly enjoyed D&D as a structure to build one's own stories with, so seeing its canon treated with such reverence strikes me as somewhat peculiar.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 2 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
He's certainly a good flavor card for people who really liked the books. I mostly enjoyed D&D as a structure to build one's own stories with, so seeing its canon treated with such reverence strikes me as somewhat peculiar.
IDGAF about WOTC D&D lore, just the R.A. Salvatore books lol.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

pokken

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
He still requires you to invest other cards him, which is risky regardless of their type
*sort of* but you can play cards that are independently really good like Greater Good / Return of the Wildspeaker and overcosted weird beaters like Phyrexian Dreadnought and have a pretty cohesive strategy that doesn't require you to get 7 for 1'd when your commander dies with auras, or get all your equipments blown up by a Bane of Progress and auto-lose.

There's a lot more design surface with him than "I get wrathed and lose" like most voltron decks :P

BeneTleilax

New, better Mom seems quite good. I wonder if I'll run both in Feather, or just replace the old Mom.
Last edited by BeneTleilax 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

pokken

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
New, better Mom seems quite good,I wonder if I'll run both in Feather, or just replace Mom.
Giver of Runes has been out since last modern horizons right? Didn't they just spoil the time shifted version?

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

Damn, they are coming through with reprints for this one. Cabal Coffers is huge.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

pokken

toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
Damn, they are coming through with reprints for this one. Cabal Coffers is huge.
Ugh about time, I sold my spare for like 70 bucks and was like...no damn way this escapes the reprint train:P

I do regret getting rid of all my spare urborgs though as you can expect those to go absolutely bananas.

(Oh and those got reprinted too, nice:))

toctheyounger

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
Ugh about time, I sold my spare for like 70 bucks and was like...no damn way this escapes the reprint train:P

I do regret getting rid of all my spare urborgs though as you can expect those to go absolutely bananas.

(Oh and those got reprinted too, nice:))
Yeah I think Urborg is ubiquitous enough to not drop in price significantly (and TSR was a very limited run, too). Coffers is SO good to see again though. I've got two which is enough for me, but I'm sure there's going to be plenty of folk cracking tons of packs for it.

pokken

toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
Yeah I think Urborg is ubiquitous enough to not drop in price significantly (and TSR was a very limited run, too). Coffers is SO good to see again though. I've got two which is enough for me, but I'm sure there's going to be plenty of folk cracking tons of packs for it.
Whatever they can do to get those fetchland prices down for me to restock :)

toctheyounger

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
Whatever they can do to get those fetchland prices down for me to restock :)
Agreed, I'd love to get in on the fetch game if the price is right. Not holding my breath though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”