Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Gashnaw
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

Dunadain wrote:
2 years ago
A NiNJa TuRTLe?!?!?!?

*Humms TMNT theme song
I would prefer a cycle of ninja turtles.

If e ae getting a cool ninja card, i would love moonfolk ninja. especially if it has "Return creatures to hand" effects. Get more bang for your buck.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 2 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
Fox Pilot

Do a barrel roll fox.
Excellent, excellent reference!

I'm skeptical of this set, personally. The dies triggers on the Dragons are all quite powerful and I wonder if that's going to be a problem. Especially the Red one and Black one. Kaalia will be happy about these cards getting printed...

Combined with the recent power-creep trends, I'm worried about what's happening. Especially for that hinted text about copying Artifacts, Instants, and Sorceries? Like, what is going on at R&D?

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

benjameenbear wrote:
2 years ago
The dies triggers on the Dragons are all quite powerful and I wonder if that's going to be a problem. Especially the Red one and Black one.
None of the death triggers are particularly worthwhile as ends in themselves, and the dragons are just decent beaters. They don't really change the game with their presence, and they don't give value over time, unless you've got some scheme to loop them (in which case, they are competing with things like Agent of Treachery and Gary). We might see midrange get stronger, but I'd reckon midrange is the least threatening archetype right now outside of ultracasual kitchen table stuff (where it is often the only archetype). Red can sort of cheat on its tax, but then it's... a somewhat recursive air beater, which I'm fine seeing in the zone. Maybe he become some sort of midrange-voltron thing? This doesn't sound unfun or destabilizing.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 2 years ago

I think the on-color dragons are fantastic for my lower curve Kaalia, Zenith Seeker deck. I will struggle to find space for them though since there are already so many good picks. However, the black dragon especially is VERY strong and exactly the sort of effect I've been waiting for so likely an auto-include. The fact that they are mostly 5 cmc with an ADDITIONAL ABILITY feels really pushed. I think the black dragon will be a pricey card.

Death triggers are just as good or better than ETBs in the right deck. They are great if you can get multiple triggers from them and with Sneak Attack + reanimation effects that is VERY likely. Sneak Attack + Phyrexian Reclamation is a great little loop engine if it stays around.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
who's ready for BUGchantress? Or maybe frog tribal? Such an odd mix of abilities on Tatsunari…I'm intrigued, though.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Unofficial Spoiler Discussion
Yeah, I love Tatsunari. Every now and then I consider BUGchantress with Volrath and a bunch of auras that return a creature to play. This legend might be the better leader.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Serenade wrote:
2 years ago
Unofficial Spoiler Discussion
Yeah, I love Tatsunari. Every now and then I consider BUGchantress with Volrath and a bunch of auras that return a creature to play. This legend might be the better leader.
I love the idea too, in theory. But then my brain starts whirring with bad ideas. Like Necropotence and Chains of Mephistopheles and Rhystic Study and the Exploration suite and I start breathing heavy and have to sit down and remind myself to be a good person.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Jin-Gitaxias, Progress Tyrant continues the theme of Praetors being totally reasonable cards. I see nothing wrong with this whatsoever. Nope!

On the flip side, Boseiju, Who Endures looks quite nice. Uncounterable Assassin's Trophy-lite is sweet. Ramping your opponent is obviously a significant downside.... but it can also just be an untapped land. Looks like a snap-include in most green decks.

edit: Tamiyo, Compleated Sage - THIS IS FINE.
Last edited by Mookie 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

I know nothing about evaluating cards but I think the new boseiju is nuts. I dont think there will be a better card spoiled.

Also, did they save anything? I feel like everything cool was spoiled today

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Jim seems like an even more frustrating Erayo, Soratami Ascendant // Erayo's Essence. At least it's nostalgic, for those of us that miss being soft-locked out of the Zone?

wildfire393
Answers: 1

Post by wildfire393 » 2 years ago

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Jin-Gitaxias, Progress Tyrant continues the theme of Praetors being totally reasonable cards. I see nothing wrong with this whatsoever. Nope!

On the flip side, Boseiju, Who Endures looks quite nice. Uncounterable Assassin's Trophy-lite is sweet. Ramping your opponent is obviously a significant downside.... but it can also just be an untapped land. Looks like a snap-include in most green decks.

edit: Tamiyo, Compleated Sage - THIS IS FINE.
Boseiju does indeed seem super strong, and the opportunity cost is approximately nil.
duducrash wrote:
2 years ago
I know nothing about evaluating cards but I think the new boseiju is nuts. I dont think there will be a better card spoiled.

Also, did they save anything? I feel like everything cool was spoiled today
There's presumably a cycle of Channel lands. A couple of them have leaked but we have no information at all on the Red or Blue ones. Blue could be countermagic and be extremely powerful.
BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
Jim seems like an even more frustrating Erayo, Soratami Ascendant // Erayo's Essence. At least it's nostalgic, for those of us that miss being soft-locked out of the Zone?
Eryao could reasonably come down and flip in the early turns, and countered ALL spell types. Jin costs a lot more mana and doesn't counter creatures, enchantments, or planeswalkers, so there's still a lot of room for getting rid of him.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 2 years ago

WHAT IS THIS MADNESS. I was totally NOT expecting any Phyrexian cards to come out of this set. But I just Google'd the new Jin-Gitaxias and the new Tamiyo...

Behold the Glorious Work at hand. All shall be completed.

Time to start acquiring those Atraxa cards before they spike too high because these Phyrexian cards are AMAZING.

Also, I will literally write a physical letter to WOTC if they eff up Phyrexia as a villain/plot-device expressing my deep, deep hatred towards their creative department. Like, who else would be left if they decided to reinvent the Invasion block and somehow, someway destroyed New Phyrexia? You know what, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow Urza Planeswalker jumped out of Karn's chest to deliver the final blow, with a humbled Nicol Bolas and resurrected Ugin alongside him...

Mookie

benjameenbear wrote:
2 years ago
Also, I will literally write a physical letter to WOTC if they eff up Phyrexia as a villain/plot-device expressing my deep, deep hatred towards their creative department. Like, who else would be left if they decided to reinvent the Invasion block and somehow, someway destroyed New Phyrexia? You know what, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow Urza Planeswalker jumped out of Karn's chest to deliver the final blow, with a humbled Nicol Bolas and resurrected Ugin alongside him...
The crack theory I had the other day was that they would deal with New Phyrexia by freeing Emrakul from Innistrad's moon and throwing her at it. That said, with Tamiyo effectively out of commission, doing anything moon-related in the near future seems... unlikely.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

JUST GIVE US THE PHYREXIANS VS ELDRAZI AVP SET ALREADY.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Never been so glad to be wrong. Into Phelddagrif you go, boseiju.

Another thing about Jin is that you can collaborate to circumvent him by casting instants to free up another player. Whereas erayo worked on an individual basis.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie

Spirited Companion is colorshifted Elvish Visionary, with bonus enchantment synergies. Looks quite nice.

Tameshi, Reality Architect also looks quite interesting - synergizes with all the original moonfolk creatures, but also works with bounce effects, or can act as a more flexible Emry, Lurker of the Loch. Lots of potential directions.

It also occurs to me that the transforming sagas could be quite nice in Brago. I'll have to keep an eye out for any good ones - getting a few chapters, turning into a creature, then flickering it to reset is could be quite fun.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

I always am looking for new Training Grounds legends...Tameshi loves it!

Hooray shrines! Well, maybe they will be crazy and dumb, but I always feel good when we get more enchantments. Legendary creatures ones sure are a twist!
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

I like "modified." the sagas and channel land are gimmicky and pushed

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 2 years ago

I wanted to make a WUR vehicles deck with Kykar so the new pre-con and vehicles theme in the set looks cool, def loving more blue support for vehicles.

Might add some sagas into the adventure deck to have a story themed deck.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

YES MORE SHRINES
i have a shrine deck helmed by Sanctum of all (Playgroup allowed it)
Now with confirmation of a new shrine in Go-Shintai of Shared Purpose I assume we are getting a full cycle. Which mean that 5 more shrines. I even run the bad ones cause they still are shrines.

duducrash
Still Learning

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
The crack theory I had the other day was that they would deal with New Phyrexia by freeing Emrakul from Innistrad's moon and throwing her at it. That said, with Tamiyo effectively out of commission, doing anything moon-related in the near future seems... unlikely.
I don't think the moon is much of a prison for emmy, I think she can flat out leave if she wants to

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 2 years ago

duducrash wrote:
2 years ago
Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
I don't think the moon is much of a prison for emmy, I think she can flat out leave if she wants to
The story suggested that Emrakul intentionally encased herself in the moon so she could grow into her "ideal" form. Perhaps a Perfect Emrakul will be able to handle Phyrexia's version of perfection, but that also means Emrakul would be unstoppable after Phyrexia is done for; if ever.

I am more concern with Tamiyo's three forbidden scrolls are now in Phyrexia.

It's probably safe to say that Phyrexia is growing a new Yawgmoth, consider the experiments they're doing. One thing Yawgmoth couldn't recreate thus far is a PW spark or return to godhood.

The Reality Chip is quite exciting for my Alela deck, which focuses on mixing cards types and Cloudstone Curio.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Tameshi, Reality Architect + 2 artifact lands + Chromatic Lantern = infinite discard fodder.

Guess you can add to Mind Over Matter for infinite mana but there are way easier ways to go infinite with MoM.

Kill with Phantatog ?
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

duducrash
Still Learning

Is Jin-Gitaxias actually wearing pants?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”