Cards like Surge to Victory

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 2 days ago

Can we think of any cards that give this kind of stupid effect along with some pump? I'm not having any luck, and I'm also struggling with super powerful hits for this outside of just comboing with Seize the Day or something. :D

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 days ago

I say put Prisoner's Dilemma or Truth or Consequences under it! It's game time, %$#%!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 days ago

Narset, Enlightened Exile has a similar effect and adds pump with prowess.

Magar of the Magic Strings could get you in the neighborhood.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 day ago

I wish I could hate a post :D

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 day ago

My brother cast this a couple times in a Zaffai, Thunder Conductor, now Magnus the Red deck and when it works, it's awesome. But when you cannot get attackers through, it is pretty much dead. So it is a high variance card. I don't remember what he copied, but it was a spell that was at least 6 cmc. He pumped all his tokens from the various spellslinger token makers by +6/+0 and made 4+ copies of that spell. Pretty much ended the game on the spot, but even nabbing a Thirst for Knowledge or something and getting 3 copies out of it would be worth the mana for the pump+draw.

It might be better in a deck as an Overrun option with massive upside than in the it came in. Just be playing a somewhat aggro-y deck with a decent selection of spells. Even hitting Cultivate would be something if you had a decent attack window.

Fun card, makes memories, but sometimes it's just worthless, so you must be okay with that going in. I am not immediately aware of any cards like it. Kylox's Voltstrider does something similar as a stand-alone card.

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 1 day ago

pokken wrote:
2 days ago

Can we think of any cards that give this kind of stupid effect along with some pump? I'm not having any luck, and I'm also struggling with super powerful hits for this outside of just comboing with Seize the Day or something. :D
Eternal Dominion. If you want to go peak ridiculous, Mnemonic Deluge this and exile Eternal Dominion, Undying Flames and Fury Storm. I'm not positive if Fury Storm works like I'd want it to here but I'm pretty sure it does..

Preferably do this with a bunch of tokens and alpha strike one guy so that you get maximum epic spell triggers.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 1 day ago

PrimevalCommander wrote:
1 day ago
My brother cast this a couple times in a Zaffai, Thunder Conductor, now Magnus the Red deck and when it works, it's awesome. But when you cannot get attackers through, it is pretty much dead. So it is a high variance card. I don't remember what he copied, but it was a spell that was at least 6 cmc. He pumped all his tokens from the various spellslinger token makers by +6/+0 and made 4+ copies of that spell. Pretty much ended the game on the spot, but even nabbing a Thirst for Knowledge or something and getting 3 copies out of it would be worth the mana for the pump+draw.

Fun card, makes memories, but sometimes it's just worthless, so you must be okay with that going in. I am not immediately aware of any cards like it. Kylox's Voltstrider does something similar as a stand-alone card.
It is the sort of card that requires several steps for a setup, but if you do get that particular sequence going then it probably reads as "you win the game".
You either need to go wide with creatures to get damage in, or have evasion of some kind.
You need to have that big spell in graveyard, so either you've managed to cast it already or put it into graveyard via discard, mill, etc.
Then casting the Surge to Victory is 6 mana, hope it doesn't get countered.

Commanders that create 1/1 flying creatures stand out to me.
Kykar, Wind's Fury, Breya, Etherium Shaper, The Locust God would get the job done.
Breya, Etherium Shaper has access to Entomb and Unmarked Grave as well as normal tutors to get Surge.
The Locust God has an inbuilt way to discard your big spell.

Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time are cards that you can cast fairly easily to get into your graveyard and still pretty nice to cast a bunch of times.

The split cards are good for this as well, as often they have a cheap card you can cast and an expensive one, and they both count towards the +X/0.
Examples; Consign // Oblivion, Flotsam // Jetsam, Invert // Invent, Spring // Mind, Breaking // Entering, Connive // Concoct, Discovery // Dispersal, Rags // Riches, Reason // Believe, Revival // Revenge.

Magma Opus
Serenade wrote:
2 days ago
Magar of the Magic Strings could get you in the neighborhood.
I'd forgotten about this card! I was going to draft a deck at some stage but never got around to it. Definitely got me thinking again.

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 day ago

My original thinking was a high instant-sorcery Aragorn, King of Gondor themed around Glamdring but not sure I can quite get my head around what to do or how spellslingery I want. Aragorn's ability to jam through damage is really good but it's a lot of work to spellsling and make enough bodies for surge and also have enough other combat damage payoffs (and potentially haste enablers).

The kinda funny thing about Glamdring is it'd let you cast Surge to Victory for free and that lines up with all your other dudes blasting for whatever happens :D

Maybe could get there with a bunch of powerful tokensy effects and Reconnaissance Mission type stuff, I dunno.

casting Triplicate Spirits and Spectral Procession probably not the worst things in the world but maybe a little cute :D

There're a number of pretty high CMC token spells that aren't horrible too, there's that one cool one Benevolent Offering at least

oof Rise from the Tides is pretty cool too and of course Storm Herd

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 1 day ago

pokken wrote:
1 day ago
My original thinking was a high instant-sorcery Aragorn, King of Gondor themed around Glamdring but not sure I can quite get my head around what to do or how spellslingery I want. Aragorn's ability to jam through damage is really good but it's a lot of work to spellsling and make enough bodies for surge and also have enough other combat damage payoffs (and potentially haste enablers).

The kinda funny thing about Glamdring is it'd let you cast Surge to Victory for free and that lines up with all your other dudes blasting for whatever happens :D
You don't really need to go all that wide with perfect evasion. Just normal bodies would do, casting your spell like 4 or 5 times probably going to be good enough.

Said // Done is neat because you get pump creature for +7/0 and get choose which side of card is cast each time, so you can get back the Surge to Victory (and other spells) to cast again next turn, while tapping down creatures if need be.
Fuss // Bother goes wider.

So any of instant/sorcery that can return Surge to hand is going to be nice to just get great value along with reasonable pump to do again next turn.
Flood of Recollection, Call to Mind, Déjà Vu, Sage's Knowledge, Relearn, Shred's of Sanity, Bond of Insight, Mystic Retrieval, Pull from the Deep, Experimental Overload.
Reconstruct History is the all star here.
With all these cards if you are playing a lot of cheap instant/sorcery then you'll be able to return them all to your hand with all the triggers. 4 creatures dealing damage is more than enough to get back spells each time.
This is where Rite of Flame, Desperate Ritual, Pyretic Ritual, Jeska's Will, Seething Song all shine where they help you to cast Surge each turn.
Mystical Tutor and Personal Tutor can get you Surge, as well with this engine you can keep searching up for the next graveyard to hand spell each combat.

Sea Gate Restoration and Emeria's Call are given lands in the deck, and I might be going a bit deep here, but you can use Ghost Quarter, Lotus Field, Lotus Vale to put them into your graveyard.
If you have 4 cards in hand and 4 creatures deal combat damage, then that's drawing 64 cards with Sea Gate Restoration. Note surge is a may cast .. so you'll want to stop before you draw 128 cards :P

I mentioned Magma Opus, but there is also Creative Outburst.

If Glamdring is a goal then Kellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon gives you access as a Commander.
You can go wide with Andúril, Flame of the West or Horn of Valhalla // Ysgard's Call.
A lot of proxy tutoring here, but to get Surge and the pump spell you could use Sunforger --> Enlightened Tutor --> Mangara's Tome/Ring of Three Wishes/Tamiyo's Journal/Planar Portal.
Sunforger can get your Benevolent Offering. If you have a couple of fetchlands then Faith's Reward is decent as you can keep cracking them for each spell on stack.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 15 hours ago

pokken wrote:
1 day ago
I wish I could hate a post :D
😁😆🤣
materpillar wrote:
1 day ago
pokken wrote:
2 days ago

Eternal Dominion. If you want to go peak ridiculous, Mnemonic Deluge this and exile Eternal Dominion, Undying Flames and Fury Storm. I'm not positive if Fury Storm works like I'd want it to here but I'm pretty sure it does..

Preferably do this with a bunch of tokens and alpha strike one guy so that you get maximum epic spell triggers.
I think the eternal spells will prevent you from casting anything after the first resolves, so you get whatever is on the stack, but nothing else after. With Surge, you'd get 1 trigger. Mnemonic Deluge would give you 3 spells off that one trigger, but then you're done for the rest of the game.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 15 hours ago

The Ultimatums are some flashiest options:
Genesis Ultimatum - Probably the coolest of the bunch, but if you're heavy on spells, you get less benefit.
Cruel Ultimatum - Just seems mean and kind of pointless if you have a wide enough board that any more easily castable spell would have killed the player/table anyway.
Inspired Ultimatum - Kind of the same boat as Cruel.
Titanic Ultimatum - Needs something with first strike to get it going, ideally wants double strike, or an extra combat, but if you have extra combats, you probably don't need the buff; however this + extra combats would allow a small number of creatures that get through on a poorly defended opponent to turn around and beat down everyone else. Again, could just be a spell that deals damage directly to opponents.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 12 hours ago

yeti1069 wrote:
15 hours ago
materpillar wrote:
1 day ago
pokken wrote:
2 days ago

I think the eternal spells will prevent you from casting anything after the first resolves, so you get whatever is on the stack, but nothing else after. With Surge, you'd get 1 trigger. Mnemonic Deluge would give you 3 spells off that one trigger, but then you're done for the rest of the game.
@WizardMN Help?

Also, @pokken the low hanging fruit of Time Warp variants hasn't been mentioned yet. Blood for the Blood God! seems like it'd be hilarious.

WizardMN
Answers: 125

Post by WizardMN » 12 hours ago

@materpillar

In terms of the 3 cards in question, yes, once the first copy of Deluge resolves and you cast one of the Epic spells, you are done. The other spells can no longer be cast because Epic prevents it. Copying a card and casting the copy is still casting. You would need something like Hive Mind to keep getting spells since Hive Mind doesn't have anyone cast anything (they are just put onto the stack; incidentally, this is how Epic keeps working through itself as well) but that isn't all that reliable

pokken

Post by pokken » 12 hours ago

Yeah I feel like cranking out free time warps and extra combat steps and stuff is pretty well trodden ground I'd like to avoid at this point, but it's always there.

I kinda like the idea of setting 4-5 attackers up and craterhoofing the board with some kinda ridiculousnes.

maybe Soulfire Eruption from my Hinata pile :D

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 11 hours ago

pokken wrote:
12 hours ago
Yeah I feel like cranking out free time warps and extra combat steps and stuff is pretty well trodden ground I'd like to avoid at this point, but it's always there.

I kinda like the idea of setting 4-5 attackers up and craterhoofing the board with some kinda ridiculousnes.

maybe Soulfire Eruption from my Hinata pile :D
I feel like you'd want a ritual or two in the yard to go along with Soulfire so you have a chance of casting any of the spells you've exiled...except that's still during combat, so you don't normally have access to anything but instants.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 11 hours ago

WizardMN wrote:
12 hours ago
@materpillar

In terms of the 3 cards in question, yes, once the first copy of Deluge resolves and you cast one of the Epic spells, you are done. The other spells can no longer be cast because Epic prevents it. Copying a card and casting the copy is still casting. You would need something like Hive Mind to keep getting spells since Hive Mind doesn't have anyone cast anything (they are just put onto the stack; incidentally, this is how Epic keeps working through itself as well) but that isn't all that reliable
You know, I hadn't realized Hive Mind worked with the Epic spells when I built my Eternal Dominion deck--it still would have sucked, but at least it would have had something going on.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 11 hours ago

WizardMN wrote:
12 hours ago
@materpillar

I was thinking Mnemonic Deluge targeting Surge to Victory. So you have 3 instances of Surge to Victory, one targeting Eternal Dominion, one Undying Flames, and one Fury Storm. Shouldn't that make it so that each creature that connects puts those 3 spell copies on the stack so you have a pile surge triggers each putting a copy of the epic spells on the stack but none of them have resolved the "epic" part yet? Similar to how you can normally Twincast an Eternal Dominion.

@pokken this also gives your creatures +20/+0 which might make it more creature hoof and less epic spell hilarity.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 7 hours ago

materpillar wrote:
11 hours ago
WizardMN wrote:
12 hours ago
@materpillar

I was thinking Mnemonic Deluge targeting Surge to Victory. So you have 3 instances of Surge to Victory, one targeting Eternal Dominion, one Undying Flames, and one Fury Storm. Shouldn't that make it so that each creature that connects puts those 3 spell copies on the stack so you have a pile surge triggers each putting a copy of the epic spells on the stack but none of them have resolved the "epic" part yet? Similar to how you can normally Twincast an Eternal Dominion.

@pokken this also gives your creatures +20/+0 which might make it more creature hoof and less epic spell hilarity.
The Surge will set up triggers that say, "cast this spell," but the spell isn't cast until the Surge trigger resolves, and THOSE happen as follows:
Surge triggers x 3 go on the stack.
Surge 3 resolves, casting Epic spell.
Surge 2 resolves, but Epic days you can't cast spells.
Ditto for Surge 1.

pokken

Post by pokken » 7 hours ago

materpillar wrote:
11 hours ago
I was thinking Mnemonic Deluge targeting Surge to Victory.
a part of me is a bit more amused at Surge to Victory copying Mnemonic Deluge and then every whack casting 3 copies of something :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”