[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
Just played a game with my Golos, High CMC matters deck. Found the unintentional combo of Volrath the Fallen, discard Primal Surge for +10/+10. Blasphemous Act, nug opponent for 16 with volrath.
How did that unintentional combo work? Volrath the Fallen says "creature card" or am i missing something?

Those Pyromancy plays sound hilarious. Unfortunately i don't have a deck to get me one for.

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
3 years ago
materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
Just played a game with my Golos, High CMC matters deck. Found the unintentional combo of Volrath the Fallen, discard Primal Surge for +10/+10. Blasphemous Act, nug opponent for 16 with volrath.
How did that unintentional combo work? Volrath the Fallen says "creature card" or am i missing something?

Those Pyromancy plays sound hilarious. Unfortunately i don't have a deck to get me one for.
>.> Welp, I guess I cheated a bit. I had 2 8-drop creatures that would have worked just as well but I was trying not to just straight murder the guy.

Other hilarious cards to resolve while pyromancy is in play are Grozoth and Conflux.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

So I was wondering what people think of the Etched Foils. I am thinking about getting a few of the commanders I really like in the Etched treatment, but I haven't seen the Etched in real life (for obvious reasons) and everyone says that seeing a picture of the Etched doesn't really capture how it truly looks.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 3 years ago

Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
So I was wondering what people think of the Etched Foils. I am thinking about getting a few of the commanders I really like in the Etched treatment, but I haven't seen the Etched in real life (for obvious reasons) and everyone says that seeing a picture of the Etched doesn't really capture how it truly looks.
It's neat. Instead of the old rainbow mirror it's more like a thousand tiny sparkles, the way gold leaf is. In a way, it actually feels a bit more subdued than a traditional magic foil.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

I got super burned on normal foiling when I got the Atraxa precon reprint a few years back and Atraxa looked like a black smudge in glimmer land. I didn't like foils before either, mind you, but that was just the tipping point. My lone foily commander, Ghired, actually looks kind of okay when thought about objectively, but I would have still preferred him in non-foil.

By contrast, I'm genuinely very tempted by the etched foils. The deeper colours, the white text as yet another progeny of the colour shift frame - that stuff looks great. When people show them off in vids/pictures, it seems that it's mainly the borders that get the treatment, which is great for art clarity. Plus there's that PleasantKenobi video, where he goes booster cracking with the attitude he doesn't care for etched foils, then each one he rips successively wins him over. Think I'll spring for the etched versions of any CMR legends I may pick up.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

The etched foils look nice. I still don't particularly care for foils, but the etched one from CL are definitely an improvement.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 3 years ago

I don't really like the original foiling so the bar was set pretty low, but I like the etched foils a lot. For the first time a Magic foil actually holds up against the many, many other card games out there that do foiling better. It's pretty pathetic that I've seen numerous fan printed card games with better foils that Magic.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

I don't generally chase foils, as they're definitely a mixed bag as Rumpy mentioned. My Varina looks fine, but there's others out there that are just like 'oh, reflective glare on a card, that's...neat?'

These are different, definitely more subdued, although I didn't pull any of the commanders I wanted. I did order a foil etched Blim, Comedic Genius (he calls to me to build nonsense and I can't help but give in) so I'll find out when I pick him up how nice it looks. I'll also be getting Liesa, Shroud of Dusk at some point, but she's a little more expensive, and so is the deck I'd look at building round her, so that's probably a little further into the future.

The one we did pull. Gnostro, Voice of the Crags (meh) looks nice but not spectacular. Part of that is probably just that I'm not really enthused about the card itself though.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 3 years ago

I'm kind of bummed that Marath got a foil both after I'd already found an alter, and at a point where I won't be buying new cards >.< I bet it's super pretty too.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Any of you thinking of the new secret lairs? Seb McKinnon is gorgeous. And what is the current price of Damnation? 40$? Here you get the foil Damnation with the other cards for the same 40$. The swamp is sweet too, though it sucks you can't get multiples. Like, if you want 30 for your Mono Black deck you need to get 30 enchanted evenings too!

The metal themed cards are pretty cool. Great removal spells and a random thraximundar.

I am not into the squirrels at all (weird list).
The Bob Ross lands are cool but I don't like them as much as many of the other lands we have easier access to. I dunno. One of the islands is nice.

Box of Rocks is so bad.

I know I know, don't buy SLDs they are the devil, etc. I know. I probably won't buy simply because last time I did I got hit with a huge duty fee.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

Seb McKinnon art is always gorgeous. And somehow the creepier it is, the more beautiful it looks. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) I already have a playset of Damnation (two of which are the player rewards full art Damnations).

But my favorite of the Secret Lair drops is the Bob Ross lands. I am always a sucker for landscape paintings, and I love me some Bob Ross. The only problem is the same problem I have with every other secret lair basic land, it is just impractical to have an entire deck full of them. So unless you only need one or two basics, it doesn't do much for me.

Also thanks to everyone who gave their input on the Etched Foil. I think I am going to get a few of the Etched that I do like (Armix, Filigree Thrasher #1 of course).

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

SLs are not my cup of tea, even when they are a good value objectively I can't really bring myself to support them.

That being said if they print a %$#%$#% foil Titania in a SL I'll buy it in an instant.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

Hi all! Making an aweful but still playable cube has long been a goal of mine. I have the cards. Now I have the list. Click the quote link or sig link if you can help me.
Legend wrote:
3 years ago
Cube of Legend is finished! Well, as "finished" as a cube can be. There are tens of thousands of cards in Magic. While I know many of them, I do not know them all. So if you're reading this, please please please check out the complete cube list in the OP, and if you see any that aren't the weirdest or the worst, let me know. TYIA
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Dunharrow

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
Hi all! Making an aweful but still playable cube has long been a goal of mine. I have the cards. Now I have the list. Click the quote link or sig link if you can help me.
Legend wrote:
3 years ago
Cube of Legend is finished! Well, as "finished" as a cube can be. There are tens of thousands of cards in Magic. While I know many of them, I do not know them all. So if you're reading this, please please please check out the complete cube list in the OP, and if you see any that aren't the weirdest or the worst, let me know. TYIA
It's a cool idea, and I would definitely play it if given the chance. Last cube I played was a beard cube and it was fun to play such janky cards.

That being said, I don't think I can evaluate the cube because I don't think I know any of the cards. I just looked at white and it would be long to read all the cards and evaluate it.

Legend
Aethernaut

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
Legend wrote:
3 years ago
Legend wrote:
3 years ago
It's a cool idea, and I would definitely play it if given the chance. Last cube I played was a beard cube and it was fun to play such janky cards.

That being said, I don't think I can evaluate the cube because I don't think I know any of the cards. I just looked at white and it would be long to read all the cards and evaluate it.
What's a "beard cube"?

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

Dunharrow

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
What's a "beard cube"?
All the art has to feature beards.

Legend
Aethernaut

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
Legend wrote:
3 years ago
What's a "beard cube"?
That's wild! Any chance there's a list?

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 3 years ago

Oh Steam sale's up. What's worth getting? I'm considering Hades and AC: Odyssey; maybe the earlier Witcher games as well, since I recently finished Wild Hunt and I haven't been drawn into a game like that for a long time.

Also had a great night of commander yesterday. The highlight was winning a game with Jeleva thanks to some extreme luck and getting to cast Mnemonic Deluge targeting Mind's Desire|SCG, which was exactly what I wanted to do with the card when it was spoiled. Details in the spoiler.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
So it was a five player game with Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign big free stuff, Nicol Bolas, the Ravager superfriends, Niv-Mizzet Reborn guild-stuff and both myself and someone I hadn't played against before on Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge. Yennett and Niv fell behind early on, while Bolas deployed a few planeswalkers with The Chain Veil and was rapidly ticking up to ult Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God. The other Jeleva also had a pretty explosive thanks to an early Rhystic Study paired with great hits on Jeleva; a stolen Merciless Eviction allowed them to clear the planeswalkers and neuter the Bolas player while Stolen Identity eventually led to them having four Gilded Lotus and two Strionic Resonator. I'd been mildly ramping and removed the opposing Jeleva once I finally could, but I also drew a bunch of cards off commander casts, Jeleva casts and cipher casrts thanks to Ghostly Pilferer. I had cast my own Jeleva but she was immediately removed. (No Eternal Dominion for me).

In the final turn cycle, the opposing Jeleva was recast and her ETB tripled thanks to the Resonators, exiling 18 more cards from libraries. (At least 26 cards had been exiled from each library at this point). This exiled my Eye of the Storm, removing my main win condition. I had 9 mana available with key cards of Etali, Primal Storm, Swiftfoot Boots and Mnemonic Deluge in hand and Mind's Desire|SCG in my graveyard. I use all my mana to cast Etali and play and equip the boots, then swing in, and here's where the extreme luck comes in. I hit spells on everyone's libraries, using my Memory Plunder to recast Merciless Eviction and deal with the many Lotus and Resonators, but the key card I hit was an Oblivion Sower off the opposing Jeleva's library. I cast it and steal 13 exiled lands from Niv-Mizzet, 3 coming in tapped. I use this to cast Mnemonic Deluge targeting the Mind's Desire|SCG in my graveyard, getting 30 copies in total and exiling the majority of my remaining library. I cast most of the spells I get, including some rocks, Dark Ritual and Underworld Breach. There's a Mnemonic Deluge, a counterspell and a couple of wheels in the remaining Desire hits, so I cast Reforge the Soul to maximise my options before casting the Mnemonic Deluge. I was expecting to just Windfall after and knock myself out (two cards left in library at this stage), but the opposing Jeleva has discarded Aetherflux Reservoir to the wheel, even though they don't seem like they're on storm! I cast the Reservoir and then only need to escape the Dark Ritual a handful of times to get enough life to laser everyone down, given the 30 or so spells I'd already cast.

So much had to go right for it all to come together; the sheer luck in hitting the opposing Oblivion Sower, which I intentionally don't run in my own deck, which stole enough lands for Deluge, then Desire hitting all the tools to steal and feed the opposing Reservoir, is mind boggling. It was crazy.
Kefnet Voltron | Ayli Reanistocrats | Derevi Pod | Kodama//Ishai Blink | Jetmir Hatebears | Kess Storm | Smasher//Sakashima Control

Dunharrow

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
Legend wrote:
3 years ago
What's a "beard cube"?
That's wild! Any chance there's a list?
No. And I was so happy with that cube draft that the next time I saw the owner I gave him a bunch of bearded cards I had found.
It was just the first iteration and had some duplicates to make it enough cards. Hopefully one day it will be singleton!

not-a-cube

Post by not-a-cube » 3 years ago

Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
I don't like them all that much, the white text seem less clear, which annoys me. But I must admit i've only seen the pictures online, which don't always do the actual cards justice.

If anyone opened an etched foil Queen Marchesa, don't hesitate to upload a picture, I'd love to see how it actually looks, it's only one i'd consider buying to replace my regular foil.
EDH Decks:
Queen Marchesa
Chainer, Dementia Master
Will Kenrith
Bruna, the fading light

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

not-a-cube wrote:
3 years ago
Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
I don't like them all that much, the white text seem less clear, which annoys me. But I must admit i've only seen the pictures online, which don't always do the actual cards justice.

If anyone opened an etched foil Queen Marchesa, don't hesitate to upload a picture, I'd love to see how it actually looks, it's only one i'd consider buying to replace my regular foil.
I must say that I was ambivalent on etched foils until I saw them in person. No picture I've seen has done them justice. How do I put this? Ah. They look flashy while also appearing...not too flashy? Perhaps 'tasteful' is the word I'm looking for. Anyway, I'm 100% sold on etched foils.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

WolfWhoWanders

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 3 years ago

I tend to really dislike foils, but these do look pretty decent. I'm not about to get any I don't think, no point changing my act at this point. I still think it's more enjoyable to "gaze into the distance" at a non foil too. Maybe I want to look at artwork too intensely to get why you'd want the equivalent of road glare or high beams up in your vision
Responds well to spells and abilities

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
I must say that I was ambivalent on etched foils until I saw them in person. No picture I've seen has done them justice. How do I put this? Ah. They look flashy while also appearing...not too flashy? Perhaps 'tasteful' is the word I'm looking for. Anyway, I'm 100% sold on etched foils.
I'm not 100% sold yet. I have a random one I don't care strongly about sitting out in my room to see if it curls. If it doesn't, then I'm 100% sold.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

No curling on mine so far, although it might just be taking more time than usual. The regular foils from the set turned into Pringles overnight.

I just saw the heavy metal Secret Lair and I have to admit I'm actually heavily tempted by this one. They look insane.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

I am still not sure where I stand on etched. I think its fine, but its also not something I see myself seeking out. If they don't curl as bad I guess thats good but its not a look I find myself overly caring more about getting. I feel like to some degree I am against it just from the standpoint that the last thing this game needs is a rarer quality version of cards but given I also don't seem to care so whatevs.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”