Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

DJ otter in the house

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Hermes_

At what point do you become a bitter old man? I think I'm at that point, but I'm not sure

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
At what point do you become a bitter old man? I think I'm at that point, but I'm not sure
It's not an age, but a mindset. You can be 16 years old, but if you're turning the hose on those damn neighborhood hooligans, you've achieved BOM status.

Just embrace it.
SPOILER
Show
Hide

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
It's not an age, but a mindset. You can be 16 years old, but if you're turning the hose on those damn neighborhood hooligans, you've achieved BOM status.

Just embrace it.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I came here to say this but knew in my heart it had already been said.

Me? I was born not wailing but yelling 'if you little bastards don't get off my lawn...'
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

@DirkGently you should watch the miniseries adaptation of Good Omens if you haven't yet seen it. Hits all the buttons you appear to prioritize and is funny as hell.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Hermes_

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
@DirkGently you should watch the miniseries adaptation of Good Omens if you haven't yet seen it. Hits all the buttons you appear to prioritize and is funny as hell.
With a season two in the works :love:

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
With a season two in the works
I can't see that going well, myself. Much of the strength of the miniseries was in its faith to the book, and clear idea of its destination. Many once good series have stumbled stepping beyond those.

Hermes_

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
With a season two in the works
I can't see that going well, myself. Much of the strength of the miniseries was in its faith to the book, and clear idea of its destination. Many once good series have stumbled stepping beyond those.
well it seems it's going to grab stuff from the unfinished sequel

"It's 31 years since Good Omens was published, which means it's 32 years since Terry Pratchett and I lay in our respective beds in a Seattle hotel room at a World Fantasy Convention and plotted the sequel," Gaiman said in a statement (via TV Line).

"I got to use bits of the sequel in Good Omens – that's where our angels came from. Terry's not here any longer, but when he was, we had talked about what we wanted to do with Good Omens, and where the story went next."

He continued: "There are so many questions people have asked about what happened next (and also, what happened before) to our favourite Angel and Demon. Here are the answers you've been hoping for. We are back in Soho, and all through time and space, solving a mystery, which starts with an angel wandering through Soho, with no memory."

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a36889291 ... te-amazon/

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

WOOOO beat D2R hardcore with my trap assassin! First time doing hardcore! Best drop was an eth Colossus Voulge in A1 hell - socketed that bad boy up and rolled perfect damage on an insight, so my merc was an absolute killing machine. Hard to get it equipped, though, had to throw a lot of amethysts into random junk armor to get his strength up. Really fun run, might try it with other classes (although the character limit makes that kinda difficult).
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
I've seen it actually, a while ago Lily talked me into it. I liked it alright but it didn't blow me away tbh. Not entirely sure why, but I think some of style choices tended to break my immersion? Best guess, though, on paper it seems like something I'd love but for whatever reason, in terms of my personal enjoyment, it was probably a 3.5/5.

Been watching "Hellbound" this week and really digging it. Only on episode 5 though so I'll see if I still like it by the end.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 2 years ago

I should watch Good Omens, thanks for the reminder. It's kind of funny how profound an effect The Good Place has had on my reception of subsequent shows. Give me anything with a bit of an afterlife theme and/or the word "Good" in it, and my gut response is to peg it as trying to coast along on the success, even if the source material is older than some actors that filmed the other show :P It doesn't help that the bit of internet I'm in made The Good Place out to be the biggest deal ever. I'm curious to see how it will hold up with time. I should rewatch that actually, now that it's been a while to let my thoughts on it settle a bit...

I actually followed through on the recommendation of Schitt's Creek that came from here. It was a nice show, a good watch. It really found its voice in the season two finale, the best episode of the whole thing in my opinion, and then kinda kept hitting very similar notes for the remaining four seasons more often than not. The retreading of somewhat similar setups and characters seemingly not fully retaining their conclusions kind of devalued the otherwise very soothing premise. This became all the more apparent in the final season as it felt that all the character growth was undone in a jiffy to go with the story, but then in typical Schitt's Creek fashion it kinda backtracked on this decision a bit in a sublimely predictable manner. I'm still happy I watched it, mind you.

Speaking of "totally cashing in on The Good Place hype" afterlife shows, Upload is not bad. The perpetual cliffhangers make it annoying, the story doesn't feel like it needs to stoop to that to have people watch it all the way through. It's less sitcommy than other stuff I mention here too, but it's from one of the guys behind Parks & Rec, which is how I found out about it. I enjoyed Girls5eva quite a lot for a first season, also found out about it due to staff connections to prior good shows. Hacks has some good reviews, and all of one season as well - might be worth checking that out too.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
2 years ago
made The Good Place out to be the biggest deal ever. I'm curious to see how it will hold up with time. I should rewatch that actually, now that it's been a while to let my thoughts on it settle a bit...
So I had a philosophy minor in college and spent a damn lot of time involved in Catholic apologetics and all kinds of similar stuff (basically on a rollercoaster ride through christian history:P) before subsequently turning to my current state (not to start a whole religion sidebar) - I honestly think The Good Place is one of the best shows of our time. It did such a great job of introducing fairly deep philosophy in a digestible way, and really seriously tried to answer some key philosophical questions about the afterlife means in some pretty new ways.

It opened the door for TV to talk about actual serious issues, mostly by basting it in dick jokes to be fair.

It had a lot of flaws, but it's just trying something so absolutely deep that is needed in modern culture (in my opinion) -- ethics is really important! We need to be thinking deeply about the whys of what we do, and I don't think the current global cultural zeitgeist really encourages that much, especially not in entertainment.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
It opened the door for TV to talk about actual serious issues
I love The Good Place, but let's not get carried away.

toctheyounger

Good Omens is pretty great in many ways. Not everyone's cup of tea but neither is the source material. Still, David Tennant and Michael Sheen are both excellent.

The Good Place i took a run through to warm up to for some reason. I ended up really enjoying it but I think the first time around I thought 'oh they're doing the Big Bang Theory thing taking a complex topic and rubbing all the high points in your face for cheap yucks', and it took me a little patience to see that it was a bit more subtle than that. Some of the characters are a bit dick jokey but I've nothing against that when it's not the beginning and end of the content. I ended up being really happy with it as a great way to bring comedy to philosophy and mesh them well. Not many comedies do it, or even try. The only other I can think of is Monty Python.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Eh, it's not like the culture in TV changed over night but I do think that it opened some doors.

toctheyounger

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Eh, it's not like the culture in TV changed over night but I do think that it opened some doors.
I think at least it opened the door for shows to be intellectual and not quite as high brow as Frasier. That's not nothing.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago

I think at least it opened the door for shows to be intellectual and not quite as high brow as Frasier. That's not nothing.
Whoa now. With all due respect, I liked Frasier as much as the next guy, but "man over forty tries to find love and fails repeatedly" isn't exactly a highbrow show. The humor was clever and the wordplay often excellent, but the fundamental stuff of the show itself isn't doing anything novel or profound. It's just a fancy candy coating over a familiar chocolate center (again, I enjoyed it a lot but imo it is only what it is at the end of the day).

toctheyounger

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
pokken wrote:
2 years ago

Whoa now. With all due respect, I liked Frasier as much as the next guy, but "man over forty tries to find love and fails repeatedly" isn't exactly a highbrow show. The humor was clever and the wordplay often excellent, but the fundamental stuff of the show itself isn't doing anything novel or profound. It's just a fancy candy coating over a familiar chocolate center (again, I enjoyed it a lot but imo it is only what it is at the end of the day).
I wasn't taking a dig. I like Kelsey Grammer and you know the show better than I do. I was like 15 when it was on and The Simpsons was in the middle of its golden era so its pretty much all I watched.

I guess you could replace Frasier with something else in that analogy. Or I guess I ust acknowledge the fact that most comedies in a sitcom format are to varying levels bereft of intellectual substance and there really isn't much highbrow anything. The Good Place isn't peer-reviewed academia but there's more substance there than most in my opinion.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago

I wasn't taking a dig. I like Kelsey Grammer and you know the show better than I do. I was like 15 when it was on and The Simpsons was in the middle of its golden era so its pretty much all I watched.

I guess you could replace Frasier with something else in that analogy. Or I guess I ust acknowledge the fact that most comedies in a sitcom format are to varying levels bereft of intellectual substance and there really isn't much highbrow anything. The Good Place isn't peer-reviewed academia but there's more substance there than most in my opinion.
Fair enough. I was just saying that the Good Place (inferring this from the greater conversation, I've never seen it) may very well be a more conceptually complex show than Frasier given its aforementioned noted themes. Frasier has very intelligent humor and a very unnuanced core concept. The comparison I'd make is perhaps a clockwork timepiece vs a gold-plated sundial. They both tell time, sure. But one is ultimately just a very simple thing done very well, and the other has true layers to its function. If anything, I imagine that makes TGP more groundbreaking. I maybe gotta watch it now...

Fair enough on the Simpsons too! The golden years of that show shine brighter than most for sure.

EDIT: many edits, many errors! I should not write under the influence, I should not write under the influence, I should not write under the...

toctheyounger

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago

Fair enough. I was just saying that the Good Place (inferring this from the greater conversation, I've never seen it) may very well be a more conceptually complex show than Frasier given its aforementioned noted themes. Frasier has very intelligent humor and a very unnuanced core concept. The comparison I'd make is perhaps a clockwork timepiece vs a gold-plated sundial. They both tell time, sure. But one is ultimately just a very simple thing done very well, and the other has true layers to its function. If anything, I imagine that makes TGP more groundbreaking. I maybe gotta watch it now...

Fair enough on the Simpsons too! The golden years of that show shine brighter than most for sure.

EDIT: many edits, many errors! I should not write under the influence, I should not write under the influence, I should not write under the...
Well to save you some time figuring out if you like TGP or not, its written by Mike Schur and Dan Goor, the same guys who wrote parks and rec and Nine Nine. If thats your jam its pretty similar but a bit more quirky and oddball. I wouldn't say its groundbreaking must watch, everyone should like it, but it is funny and covers subject matter that most shows don't. I, for one, enjoyed seeing the trolley problem played out in real time.

Hermes_

so, i did a thing again

DirkGently

My sugar daddy is my past self.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Finally cracked time travel, eh?

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Did you find a pile of RL cards?
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

DirkGently

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
Finally cracked time travel, eh?
Only the kind where I go forward. Can't seem to stop. Although I'm getting better at slowing it down and speeding it up.
Dunharrow wrote:
2 years ago
Did you find a pile of RL cards?
Nah just pulling money from my investment accounts to pay for flight school. Although my time twister is looking less and less worth keeping…
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Eh, I need to go back. If coach would've put me in, we coulda won state.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”