[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

Cjsaul0309 wrote:
3 years ago
Hiya, I'm cjsaul0309 or Callum. I've been plying MTG for about a year and half there or abouts and have been playing commander for most of it I tend to build new decks out of habit on cockatrice and then get them IRL I do like putting good cards into my decks but I try not to build competitively but I have been known to realise that my decks can sometimes do broken things. I'm quite new to forums as a whole so It's a bit of a learning curve but being able to discuss commander and interactions is something I enjoy doing so I thought I'd try it out
Welcome!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

ZenN
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

How's my signature?
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Looks good to me, text of the names could be higher imho :)

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

ZenN wrote:
3 years ago
How's my signature?
Very nice. Minimal yet pretty. I like it a lot.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

ZenN

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Looks good to me, text of the names could be higher imho :)
Yeah, maybe. I had it a bit higher to begin with, but brought it down some so as to try to not cover all their heads. :P

For comparison, this was what my previous signature looked like.
Old Signature
Show
Hide
Capture.PNG
Commander

pokken

The text is kinda distracting on the newer ones but just me, makes it hard to identify the image and the text at he same time.

The old ones of course are less compact, on the balance I like new ones better but would like text less on the body of the image. Again just my preference :)

ZenN

Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
Very nice. Minimal yet pretty. I like it a lot.
Thank you very much!
pokken wrote:
3 years ago
The text is kinda distracting on the newer ones but just me, makes it hard to identify the image and the text at he same time.

The old ones of course are less compact, on the balance I like new ones better but would like text less on the body of the image. Again just my preference
Interesting. I generally really prefer the text on the image rather than above/below it. Feels much cleaner. To each their own, I suppose. Appreciate the opinion regardless. :)
Commander

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

so this happened in the 60s a US patent was issued for a cheese-flavoured cigarette.Image
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
so this happened in the 60s a US patent was issued for a cheese-flavoured cigarette.Image
Where's the problem?
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

Have you ever had a pet card you want to work into decks but cant ever find a right deck for it? Im in that spot with Backdraft Hellkite. Like I've tried it in Dragons tribal where it was lackluster and in spells matter it feels meh. I might try it in a riku deck but I'm just kinda stumped on it.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Have you ever had a pet card you want to work into decks but cant ever find a right deck for it? Im in that spot with Backdraft Hellkite. Like I've tried it in Dragons tribal where it was lackluster and in spells matter it feels meh. I might try it in a riku deck but I'm just kinda stumped on it.
You need something that generates mana on attacks/damage so you can make the most of that ability. Perhaps Neheb the Eternal?
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

ZenN

That hellkite would play very nicely with Sneak Attack. Or I suppose Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded?
Commander

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

ZenN wrote:
3 years ago
That hellkite would play very nicely with Sneak Attack. Or I suppose Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded?
Well, given Purph's ability you want a high density of creatures in the build more than anything else, so you're not likely to get a huge payoff for the attack with the hellkite.

Would be decent insurance in a more spellslinger build like Mizzix of the Izmagnus.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 3 years ago

Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
If I remember correctly, my plan was to try it out in Feldon of the Third Path. My build has a lot of looting effects I wouldn't mind reusing, for instance, so being able to recur Backdraft Hellkite to replay them whenever I need seemed good.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 3 years ago

Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Yep. I've no input on Backdraft Hellkite, but I have several needs-a-home cards that fit that description, like Ice Cauldron.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

cryogen
GΘΔ†

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
ZenN wrote:
3 years ago
Well, given Purph's ability you want a high density of creatures in the build more than anything else, so you're not likely to get a huge payoff for the attack with the hellkite.

Would be decent insurance in a more spellslinger build like Mizzix of the Izmagnus.
I could see it doing a lot of work in Mizzix, but at the same time I cringe at spending my turn using 5 mana (maybe 4 if I had something like Ruby Medallion in play) when that could potentially be multiple wheels instead. There's enough spell-based flashback enablers or cheaper things like Snapcaster Mage you could be using instead.
lyonhaert wrote:
3 years ago
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Yep. I've no input on Backdraft Hellkite, but I have several needs-a-home cards that fit that description, like Ice Cauldron.
I love me some Ice Cauldron but am the same way. It often makes it into the initial pile of cards I pull for a new deck, but never makes the 99 since it's more of a cutesy gimmick. I can't think of where I used it in the past, but I know it's made it into actual decks before. At the least it should be a shoe-in for Alexander Clamilton.

Hermes_

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago

I love me some Ice Cauldron but am the same way. It often makes it into the initial pile of cards I pull for a new deck, but never makes the 99 since it's more of a cutesy gimmick. I can't think of where I used it in the past, but I know it's made it into actual decks before. At the least it should be a shoe-in for Alexander Clamilton.
Lexivore nom nom nom

Hermes_

with pool season at some point hopefully soon : The swimming-pool smell you think is chlorine isn't chlorine at all. It's a compound called trichloramine which forms when chlorine reacts with pee and sweat.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
with pool season at some point hopefully soon : The swimming-pool smell you think is chlorine isn't chlorine at all. It's a compound called trichloramine which forms when chlorine reacts with pee and sweat.
My swimming pool turns blue when I swim in it, and I can't figure out why. I think the dye bleeds off of my trunks.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

I don't know if anyone is a fan of old school beat-em up games from the 90's, but Streets of Rage 4 came out this past Thursday, and it's pretty darn good. I have a soft spot for that genre, and they don't come around all that often, let alone good ones. I've got a few gripes, but overall it's a lot of fun. 8/10.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

pokken

Me and my buddy knocked it out last night it was pretty fun. Not super replayable though for me. I might play it myself a bit but not sure how much multiplayer I've got in me.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

I saw that. I didn't realize anyone was still making side scrolling beat-em-ups.

My game for the last week was XCOM: Chimera Squad. Fun take on the regular game and I'm interested in seeing which ideas move from that to the main series. It didn't feel nearly as punishing as a typical XCOM game, though whether that's a positive or a negative is going to vary person to person. There were numerous occasions where I could just leave someone standing out of cover, which is almost a guarantee to get that unit killed normally. The encounter system meant that movement was almost unimportant, especially with everyone rushing cover at the beginning by default. Abilities felt more usable, with a number of them having either no cooldown or a very short cooldown. That generally felt good, though a couple of them may have been a little too good (e.g. being able to heal/protect every turn on a single ability). Overall it was a nice departure for the series and well worth the $10 sale price. I'd still be happy paying the $20 list price given that my initial playthrough lasted ~20 hours. The unit recruitment means that there are still 3 units I haven't used and the order of the "acts" is interchangeable, so a second playthrough should feel reasonably distinct from the first.

All of that said, I still followed it up by starting XCOM 2 again. Sometimes you just want to get your ass kicked.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 3 years ago

The bright side from the corona lockdown is that I got buy Metal Gear solid 5 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey really cheap. I didn't have a decent computer for a decade so there's lot of catching up to do :) Started Creed and it's really funny to hear them trying to speak modern/ancient greek (I am greek) . I'd say the majority of the talk is kinda correct, so kudos.
In more MtG related issues, does anyone know any good lens based apps (free) so I can scan my decks and put them online?
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

Hermes_

vandertroll wrote:
3 years ago
Assassin's Creed Odyssey really cheap.
I've been tempted to pick it up,how is it?

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 3 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
vandertroll wrote:
3 years ago
Assassin's Creed Odyssey really cheap.
I've been tempted to pick it up,how is it?
It has more of an RPG feeling to it with all the lvling up and "decisions" in dialogues. The graphics and the overall environment are very accurate and breathtaking at times. It certainly is more grindy ( the map is huge) and the whole "manage your ship" aspect of the game is fun. For that price it's a steal IMO, especially if you consider that you can easily put 100+ hours of gameplay in it.
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”