[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
Honestly I wouldn't expect anything but hot and muggy from Auckland for the next 2 months. Summer is pretty oppressive here in recent years.
Oh man, sometimes I forget you fine folks are basically on the other end of the planet. Reading about your humidity and heat in January (when there's rare snow blanketing my yard no less) is just so weird from a I-Just-Woke-Up-And-Have-only-a-Cursory-Grasp-on-Global-Meteorology standpoint.

When's winter for you all? What is winter even like out there? More of a rainy season kind of thing, perhaps? I've got tons of relatives in 🇵🇷 Puerto Rico and they don't get winters, just inundated for a few months.
Yep, summer is in full swing. I get the whole time zones are weird thing too. Were ahead of most of the world so its mostly just wanting content or mtg spoilers or stuff earlier than the rest of the world, so its not that critical I guess. Being from the future sucks.

Winter is fine here. Nothing overly cold, at least in Auckland, we don't get snow. It gets a bit wet obviously but spring and autumn are wetter. Its actually fairly moderate by comparison to what you experience I would assume.

Summer though. God. Damn. Like the temps are up near 30 Celsius, which is bearable. But with the ozone hole and Auckland being quite subtropical on account being located on an isthmus, it gets humid and oppressively hot. You burn quick and just don't even bother going outdoors without sunblock. Its kind of miserable to me, I'm a winter person.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

I am also a winter person but my winters are on average -9 C or so
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
I am also a winter person but my winters are on average -9 C or so
Yeah, don't know if I'm THAT much of a winter person.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

Wonder if it's possible to useEternal Dominion as a wincon.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
I'd say no, because I feel like you'd have to be playing in a relatively low power pod, which means most of the things you could get from opponents would be low impact. To get game winning threats, you'd have to be playing in a higher power game, where you'll be more likely get killed before you can take advantage. Maybe in some sort of pillowfort deck? Does it interact favorably with Hive Mind? But then you've just built a more expensive Confusion in the Ranks deck where people race to steal the best threats.

I'm sure @DirkGently could craft some nonsense around Eternal Dominion, I mean, the guy broke Sorrow's Path, but it would be one helluva undertaking.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
I'm sure @DirkGently could craft some nonsense around Eternal Dominion, I mean, the guy broke Sorrow's Path, but it would be one helluva undertaking.
One step ahead of you - I already had a deck with eternal dominion back in the earlier days, Uyo, Silent Prophet. It's a lot spicier when you copy it a couple of times. And most of the deck is just ways to ramp out uyo, and then bomb sorceries, with extra mana ASAP.

I think it works fine in a medium or low powered environment. It's not like "low-powered decks" are running garbage, they're just running slower stuff, i.e. battlecruiser magic, exactly the sort of thing you'd want to steal. Uyo is also a pretty decent rattlesnake that can interfere with counterspells, removal, etc and can make it significantly more difficult to combo off while she's on-board.

The bummer part is that realistically you're going to go a lot harder with less-fun things like Expropriate. The other bummer is that copying it three times means you're going to absolutely crater the game speed on your turn lol. Probably the sort of situation where you have to play very sub-optimally just to avoid being a huge dick.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 2 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
You need to resolve multiple copies of it to be able to do so, which requires copy effects so you can get them all onto the stack before any of them resolve. Activated abilities (e.g. Twinning Staff) can be used on later turns to get additional copies, although copies on later turns don't have epic and so it's a continued investment.

I popped it into my Jeleva deck, which largely centres around self-propagating Eye of the Storm cards, that literally lead to a storm spiralling out of control lol. Get Dominion into the storm (or have it available with Bonus Round in the loops) and it can end up stealing the vast majority of opponents' decks. That being said, the storm usually finds numerous other ways to win as it grows, so Dominion is more of a fail state - "I may not have won on the spot, but with every artifact, creature, enchantment and land from your decks, I'll find something". Avoid this unless you're really good with storm strategies, enormous stacks and pattern recognition though; knowing which cards to not cast from EotS and valid shortcuts to speed up the turn are essential, not to mention being able to track everything relevant.
Kefnet Voltron | Ayli Reanistocrats | Derevi Pod | Kodama//Ishai Blink | Jetmir Hatebears | Kess Storm | Smasher//Sakashima Control

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 2 years ago

I just realized the next deck thread will be the 1.000th list on the commander board. Neat!

Also, after building Nassari, Dean of Expression and giving it a few rounds, i fell in love with Share the Spoils! I can barely remember the last time a single card enabled so many quirky interactions.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
I've got tons of relatives in 🇵🇷 Puerto Rico and they don't get winters, just inundated for a few months.
Eres boricua?

Hermes_

Myllior wrote:
2 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
You need to resolve multiple copies of it to be able to do so, which requires copy effects so you can get them all onto the stack before any of them resolve.
It was ideal curiosity since it had been on my wish list for a few years.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
I've got tons of relatives in 🇵🇷 Puerto Rico and they don't get winters, just inundated for a few months.
Eres boricua?
Nah, but the better half of my family is. I'm just a halfbreed who can't even speak spanish very well.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 2 years ago

Someone in my playgroup runs Eternal Dominion as a wincon in a Riku deck. Ramps a bunch, makes at least ten copies through various means, wins on the spot.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

DirkGently

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
Not sure if this is a bone apple tea or just bad autocorrect, but the expression is "idle curiosity".
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
Not sure if this is a bone apple tea or just bad autocorrect, but the expression is "idle curiosity".
it's me not paying attention and then not fixing my mistake. I know the expression I just typed the wrong word and didn't fix it lol.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
it's me not paying attention and then not fixing my mistake. I know the expression I just typed the wrong word and didn't fix it lol.
Bone Apple Tea sounds delicious, depending on the bone.

DirkGently

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
Bone Apple Tea sounds delicious, depending on the bone.
T-bone steak is traditional.

(Tea-bone steak?)
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

@DirkGently when can we expect to hear about the first MTG player to fly solo around the world?

DirkGently

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
@DirkGently when can we expect to hear about the first MTG player to fly solo around the world?
I don't even want to THINK about how much that flight time would cost…
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
4 fully foiled out 5c commander decks i'd wager

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
Maybe we can get MTGN to sponsor the trip if you tow our logo around the world and back again. @Janky_as_heck and their crew can do updates in the newsroom to keep interest ablaze, maybe catch a few external sponsors in the process, and we'll see if you can do the deed in 80 days

DirkGently

Back of the envelope calculations for the airspeed of the planes I'm flying, the distance around the world, and the price per hour would put it at around 50K (that's with no stopping for fuel lol).

Probably cheaper to buy a plane at that point.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Back of the envelope calculations for the airspeed of the planes I'm flying, the distance around the world, and the price per hour would put it at around 50K (that's with no stopping for fuel lol).

Probably cheaper to buy a plane at that point.
or full playset of power 9

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

Making final edits to my first round submission for the NYC Midnight short story contest! Hoping to make it to round two this year!

Hermes_

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
Making final edits to my first round submission for the NYC Midnight short story contest! Hoping to make it to round two this year!
Good luck!

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
Awesome! Hope it goes well!
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”