[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit
Pronoun: he / him

Post by vandertroll » 2 years ago

I had forgotten that I've ordered a SL Artist Series: Mark Poole and it arrived yesterday. I haven't played magic for a couple of months (thanks covid) and the overall hype in my groups is at all time lows. I'm debating with myself whether to open it to see how SL cards look like or throw it in my mtg closet sealed and see if i want to open it when i want to play again. Being an adult sucks lol
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 2 years ago

vandertroll wrote:
2 years ago
I had forgotten that I've ordered a SL Artist Series: Mark Poole and it arrived yesterday. I haven't played magic for a couple of months (thanks covid) and the overall hype in my groups is at all time lows. I'm debating with myself whether to open it to see how SL cards look like or throw it in my mtg closet sealed and see if i want to open it when i want to play again. Being an adult sucks lol
I ordered something, it took a while
This morning something was on my doorstep
What's this I'm holding? Time capsule order
'Cause I'm a brand new man, and I don't think I want it
I don't think I want it...

Oh, it's come back again, I can't ignore it
I'm a brand new man, but I'm still payin' for it

-Ben Folds, from the song Draw a Crowd
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
2 years ago
Tell me! I MUST KNOOOOOOOOWWW!
Iron & Wine.

I feel like you have to be a sensitive, bookish, rural American Southerner to really appreciate him. That or a Twilight fan, I guess.
Ah, I'm very aware of Iron & Wine. It's good to hear he's still active. Man, I was way off with that Nickelback guess!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

Just finished the Netflix, League of Legends show Arcane. Would recommend. Probably the best adaptation of a video game to a show I've seen. Not a particularly high bar at all and not a show you have to have to be familiar with the original source material either. Not a flawless show but way better than I had expected.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago
Got tickets to see my favorite band. I haven't been to a show in over two years, and I am excite.
Mine is a different band but same. I'm excited as my first concert since covid was such a good time I'm excited for the next one this time with one of my favorite bands not my partners.
materpillar wrote:
2 years ago
Just finished the Netflix, League of Legends show Arcane. Would recommend. Probably the best adaptation of a video game to a show I've seen. Not a particularly high bar at all and not a show you have to have to be familiar with the original source material either. Not a flawless show but way better than I had expected.
I would disagree it is the best but I'm still in the boat that the original Pokemon series was better but alas I still veiw that with the nostalgia lens but yea Arcane is solid.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

materpillar wrote:
2 years ago
I thought the reviews looked meh - would you recommend it to someone unfamiliar with the game?
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

I haven't watched Arcane yet but I have a hard time believing it's a better adaptation that Castlevania.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

Lifeless wrote:
2 years ago
I haven't watched Arcane yet but I have a hard time believing it's a better adaptation that Castlevania.
To be fair castlevania was so good there probably isn't much that compares well.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

castlevania was a better show imo but still its not like there cant be two amazing shows.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

I enjoyed the DOTA anime as well but Castlevania still my fave of the video game shows recently :)

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

Looks like I stirred the pot pretty good with my hot take. Show isn't flawless but I really liked it.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
I would disagree it is the best but I'm still in the boat that the original Pokemon series was better but alas I still view that with the nostalgia lens but yea Arcane is solid.
I've only seen bits and pieces of the original Pokemon series. I have a hard time imagining that I would enjoy watching the original Pokemon more than I enjoyed Arcane.
Dunharrow wrote:
2 years ago
I thought the reviews looked meh - would you recommend it to someone unfamiliar with the game?
I think it might be better if you're not familiar with the game. You'll miss some nods to a few minor things but that's probably about it. Basically the only thing lifted from the game is the characters. If you know nothing about the characters, I'd imagine it'll be more interesting because you don't know where they're ending up.
Lifeless wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
To be fair castlevania was so good there probably isn't much that compares well.
I only watched the first season, way back when there was only one season. I thought it was decent but I'm not invested in Castlevania at all.

toctheyounger

materpillar wrote:
2 years ago
Looks like I stirred the pot pretty good with my hot take. Show isn't flawless but I really liked it.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
I would disagree it is the best but I'm still in the boat that the original Pokemon series was better but alas I still view that with the nostalgia lens but yea Arcane is solid.
I've only seen bits and pieces of the original Pokemon series. I have a hard time imagining that I would enjoy watching the original Pokemon more than I enjoyed Arcane.
Dunharrow wrote:
2 years ago
I think it might be better if you're not familiar with the game. You'll miss some nods to a few minor things but that's probably about it. Basically the only thing lifted from the game is the characters. If you know nothing about the characters, I'd imagine it'll be more interesting because you don't know where they're ending up.
Lifeless wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
I only watched the first season, way back when there was only one season. I thought it was decent but I'm not invested in Castlevania at all.
I'll take the arcane recommendation, and swap you an 'I implore you to give castlevania another go'. The first season is good, but in terms of what the rest of the series does its very much just a prelude to how amazing it gets. And I'm not invested in castlevania either, never played the games nor know much about the lore outside of the series itself. The voice actors are great, the combat gets significantly better and more awesome and I wholly recommend going back to dip your toes again.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

Castlevania season 2 is such a banger. I highly encourage anyone who skipped out after season 1 to give it another try.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 2 years ago

Can confirm that Castlevania is AMAZING. My wife and I binge-watched the whole series recently (I think all the seasons are out now), and I highly, highly recommend to anyone who's interested in a good adaptation of a video game series and an overall interesting take on the Dracula mythos. Good stuff.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

tstorm823 wrote:
2 years ago
vandertroll wrote:
2 years ago
I ordered something, it took a while
This morning something was on my doorstep
What's this I'm holding? Time capsule order
'Cause I'm a brand new man, and I don't think I want it
I don't think I want it...

Oh, it's come back again, I can't ignore it
I'm a brand new man, but I'm still payin' for it

-Ben Folds, from the song Draw a Crowd
I only wanted to be Stevie Wonder, but I got to settle for this vanilla thunder.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

Watched the first episode of The Wheel of Time and it seems pretty good. That said, in defense of GRRM, his adoption of noted American Southerner and alcoholic William Faulkner's maxim that "the only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself" is what elevates ASOIAF above that of a lot of other, pulpier fantasy.

I'm just hoping this one doesn't average 1.376 sexual assaults per episode like GOT did.

toctheyounger

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago
Watched the first episode of The Wheel of Time and it seems pretty good. That said, in defense of GRRM, his adoption of noted American Southerner and alcoholic William Faulkner's maxim that "the only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself" is what elevates ASOIAF above that of a lot of other, pulpier fantasy.

I'm just hoping this one doesn't average 1.376 sexual assaults per episode like GOT did.
Pretty unlikely, although I only know of the source material rather than know the source material well. That said, from what I can tell of the little I've read Jordan wrote high fantasy, what some call 'noblebright'. I hate the term but the intent behind the phrase is to contrast with grimdark that generally is a lot more openly violent and deals with more morally grey area than a strict dichotomy of good and evil. So definitely expect less of that if not none at all.

That said theres more sexual violence in ASOIAF than anything else I've read in the grimdark area. It made the books uncomfortable to read at times.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 2 years ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago

Well in the first three episodes they changed plenty of things from the books, so hard to say. But if memory serves me correctly, most of the sex in the novels was consensual.

My opinion is that if you go into the show expecting to see the books literally acted out on screen then you're going to be disappointed to some extent. If you go in blind it's a decent show. Most of the changes irked me but with the exception of two things I got over it. I was most disappointed that the characters personalities don't get fleshed out right away like they do in the books.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

It has been 20+ years since I read WoT. I also quit somewhere around book 9 but that was in part because I hate his multiple POVs especially how many he had. To some degree I feel like a show might help clear that up just from the standpoint that it might feel like it progresses faster. I hated how it sometimes felt like half a book before he would get back to a specific character.

I strongly prefer having a dominant POV in stories though. I don't like spending more than 30% of the book split on other characters and it felt like he didn't have a dominant POV or that it would change depending on the book.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Slxmschf might be my favourite secret lair (although that's admittedly a low bar). Great cards, cool art, and a political statement that's not confined to their Twitter.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 2 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
It has been 20+ years since I read WoT. I also quit somewhere around book 9 but that was in part because I hate his multiple POVs especially how many he had. To some degree I feel like a show might help clear that up just from the standpoint that it might feel like it progresses faster. I hated how it sometimes felt like half a book before he would get back to a specific character.

I strongly prefer having a dominant POV in stories though. I don't like spending more than 30% of the book split on other characters and it felt like he didn't have a dominant POV or that it would change depending on the book.
I definitely get that. I felt some degree of frustration as well (I think Perrin was completely absent of one book?) But the flip side to that is it felt more like an Avengers thing where you had this mega world event and everyone is working equally on their own front, rather than something like LotR where you got glimpses of other storylines but ultimately it was Frodo's saga.

The is definitely taking liberties with main characters, so I have no doubt that entire chapters and probably characters will be erased in the interest of time.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 2 years ago

cryogen wrote:
2 years ago
My opinion is that if you go into the show expecting to see the books literally acted out on screen then you're going to be disappointed to some extent. If you go in blind it's a decent show. Most of the changes irked me but with the exception of two things I got over it. I was most disappointed that the characters personalities don't get fleshed out right away like they do in the books.
This is my thoughts, and there is enough love in the small details and other things I would like to give the show writers the benefit of the doubt that they are changing stuff to make the adaption to tv show better, though I certain can say I dislike the execution for one character.

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago

While it sometimes isn't the best, I used to just read one character pov all the way through for this reason as well as helping me keeping thing straight of what happened.
cryogen wrote:
2 years ago
The is definitely taking liberties with main characters, so I have no doubt that entire chapters and probably characters will be erased in the interest of time.
TBH several characters and plot lines could have been cut from the books or simplified,
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Slxmschf might be my favourite secret lair (although that's admittedly a low bar). Great cards, cool art, and a political statement that's not confined to their Twitter.
The worst part of me wants a foil copy of that Blood Moon something awful, and another part is screaming to ignore the bling and focus on the principle! Must... S-S-Support... Local... Ga...mestooOOOORE!!!!!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
The worst part of me wants a foil copy of that Blood Moon something awful, and another part is screaming to ignore the bling and focus on the principle! Must... S-S-Support... Local... Ga...mestooOOOORE!!!!!
If I actually needed those cards I'd definitely think about it. Practicality reminds me that I rarely play BM and definitely don't need a second copy.

Plus my life is about to get really expensive since I finally begin flight training on the 6th :D

Also I bought a new scooter today :D
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

https://jalopnik.com/australian-cops-pu ... 1848110624

Australian Cops Pulled Over A Dude On A Motorized Cooler And Impounded It :o :rofl:
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”