[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Well this is certainly shaping to be quite the set. I'm interested in seeing how it impacts the format once everything shakes out. I feel like I need to dig out my copy of Humility and be that guy ru8nijg the fun of others.
I really need to find my copy.....also maybe order Opalescence to REALLY be that guy
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

I'm heartbroken we didn't get Perisophia as a legend. :(

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

I'm glad to see noncreature, non-aura enchantments, which is not a sure thing for Theros. Some good stuff for a couple decks, some fun stuff for future use. I like it a lot overall.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
I'm glad to see noncreature, non-aura enchantments, which is not a sure thing for Theros. Some good stuff for a couple decks, some fun stuff for future use. I like it a lot overall.
Agreed. There is some cool stuff in the set, and even though I'm generally not a fan of the fancy border alt art stuff, I'm really digging the constellation art. I really dislike how stupidly pushed Uro is, but I'll be running him in a deck for sure. Better Loxodon Warhammer will be a snap add to my cube as well, and probably end up in a deck eventually.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Hermes_

so this is the art work a friend of mine did as a commission it's one of the main characters in the book i'm working on.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Let me know if you'd like to get in contact with her.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
so this is the art work a friend of mine did as a commission it's one of the main characters in the book i'm working on.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
The girl or the artist?

===================

In other news, I finally just said my mind on Facebook to my fellow Soldiers with whom I served. Without getting into details since I really don't want think it's appropriate here, all I'll say is that it really saddened me that their beliefs and those of whom they believe in run so antithetical to the Army values and I couldn't internalize it any longer.

Hermes_

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
The girl or the artist?

===================

In other news, I finally just said my mind on Facebook to my fellow Soldiers with whom I served. Without getting into details since I really don't want think it's appropriate here, all I'll say is that it really saddened me that their beliefs and those of whom they believe in run so antithetical to the Army values and I couldn't internalize it any longer.
The Artist :P and I saw your thing on twitter but didn't read all of it.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Often times military members have more of a bias towards republican / conservative thoughts. From what I gather you do not. Variance in beliefs is unfortunately a big source of conflict. I hope it doesn't create a rift for you.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

cryogen
GΘΔ†

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Often times military members have more of a bias towards republican / conservative thoughts. From what I gather you do not. Variance in beliefs is unfortunately a big source of conflict. I hope it doesn't create a rift for you.
Well I'm retired now so I just see them on Facebook. :)

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Well I'm retired now so I just see them on Facebook. :)
It only makes things easier in that avoiding them becomes an option.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Not been around much lately between the new job and moving house, just figured I'd stick my head in and say hi. Been keeping up with the spoilers though, gonna try and get the set review for my various deck up some point this week, especially since I have to justify why that new wincon isn't going in Golos (spoilers: same reason as Lab Man basically).

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Dragonlover wrote:
4 years ago
Not been around much lately between the new job and moving house, just figured I'd stick my head in and say hi. Been keeping up with the spoilers though, gonna try and get the set review for my various deck up some point this week, especially since I have to justify why that new wincon isn't going in Golos (spoilers: same reason as Lab Man basically).

Dragonlover
Yea, I am going to be wildly displeased the first time I see that guy show up across the table.

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

That wolf token is probably top 3 of my favorite things in the set, TBH. Dat's a good boy.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

Kinda curious if other EDH players play other formats in store. I am getting the impression that my LGS has a few drafters, a lot of commander players, and no other formats that fire off weekly.

Myself, I used to play Standard, Commander and Draft, but I stopped playing Standard a few years ago - largely because I would choose to draft instead, but also because it was boring to me. Now, I go to stores 8-10 times per year, mostly for prerelease, and occasionally to play commander. I buy product to draft with friends outside of stores, and I play commander from time to time.

From what I hear, most people going to my preferred LGS just go to play commander and don't register for events. So... I was wondering if this is common or an outlier. Do your stores still run constructed events? My top 2 stores do not, and only one of my top 5 has success running constructed.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

I used to play legacy events on an occasional basis but stopped as it got harder to justify the multi-hour blocks of time. I still have a collection that supports that and modern and keep an eye on both of those formats just in case I get the itch. I'm pretty sure my usual store still fires events. It's tough for me to say for sure because they used to be tied to a brewery and we always played on the beer side, which was not the same as the event side. I haven't been back so much since they closed that down. That store also scared off the local legacy community a couple years back by changing how they were structuring events (couldn't use credit to enter, events still paid out in credit). The two stores that they moved to both still fire legacy events on a weekly basis. I can't speak much to how other constructed formats are doing locally because (a) I haven't had any interest in standard for years and (b) haven't gotten out to play anything in a few months now.

Kelzam
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Kelzam » 4 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
Kinda curious if other EDH players play other formats in store. I am getting the impression that my LGS has a few drafters, a lot of commander players, and no other formats that fire off weekly.

Myself, I used to play Standard, Commander and Draft, but I stopped playing Standard a few years ago - largely because I would choose to draft instead, but also because it was boring to me. Now, I go to stores 8-10 times per year, mostly for prerelease, and occasionally to play commander. I buy product to draft with friends outside of stores, and I play commander from time to time.

From what I hear, most people going to my preferred LGS just go to play commander and don't register for events. So... I was wondering if this is common or an outlier. Do your stores still run constructed events? My top 2 stores do not, and only one of my top 5 has success running constructed.
My LGS runs Modern and Standard weekly, but barely. They all tend to fire with only the bare minimum to sanction their respective events, and Pioneer has further divided those players. They can't run all three on a FNM night. They tried to do Standard Showdown and it never got the attendance. Commander has grown in popularity to the point where there's more Commander players in casual pods on FNM nights than the other formats combined, but they're players that wouldn't normally be playing FNM, anyway - they don't have interest in tournaments.

Attendance for FNM used to be a lot better, but it started to drop off after War of the Spark came out. A combination of the bans in Standard in the last two years, Standard feeling like a slog in general, etc. The prize support changes shot our store in the foot and they get less prize support than they did before the WPN changes and switch over to promo packs. A lot of it is also our area, though. Many new stores have opened on the north side of the greater Houston area in the last couple years dividing the player pool. I live 15 minutes from my home store and one north of here. The one north of here in a college town doesn't have any other LGS stores within 30 miles so it can fire events every other night of the week (I don't go there to play often because players are more cutthroat).
Level 1 Judge US-South
Founder of MTG Salvation (2005-2019), Proud New Patron of MTG Nexus! (2019+)

My CMDR Primers:

Shabbaman
crying casual

Post by Shabbaman » 4 years ago

Blegh. I've been bitten by the Arena bug, and now I'm considering buying a pile of Theros boosters instead of singles for my EDH decks. I feel really... weird about this set: as my Marath enchantments morphed into Najeela warriors and my Ramses auras morphed into Yuriko ninja's I can't find a spot for the new cards I like, and that makes me restless. The number of ninja's in this set is surprisingly small as well. On Arena I have a rakdos knights deck, so that gives me the same feeling.

Don't get me wrong, I like this set. I learned ancient Greek in high school. I do miss the story here though. I can't even spend my money on the art book, because they even scrapped that... please don't make me spend money on Arena.
“Our words are backed with OBLIVION STONE!" - Mahatma Gandhi

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Shabbaman wrote:
4 years ago
Blegh. I've been bitten by the Arena bug, and now I'm considering buying a pile of Theros boosters instead of singles for my EDH decks. I feel really... weird about this set: as my Marath enchantments morphed into Najeela warriors and my Ramses auras morphed into Yuriko ninja's I can't find a spot for the new cards I like, and that makes me restless. The number of ninja's in this set is surprisingly small as well. On Arena I have a rakdos knights deck, so that gives me the same feeling.

Don't get me wrong, I like this set. I learned ancient Greek in high school. I do miss the story here though. I can't even spend my money on the art book, because they even scrapped that... please don't make me spend money on Arena.
I was extremely happy to get into Arena last year. And then we got War of the Spark - Theros and it killed me. I had been really excited for Historic, and then they sort of threw that format away in my opinion based on what they did with it and not essentially making it Pioneer. Then they got my hopes up for Brawl, and then they shattered me on the rocks with that one in their implementation (wednesdays only which is commander night for me) + Oko (yes, he is banned now.... that doesn't change a HORRIBLE launch for me).

So, now I have uninstalled it after having played for less than a year and buying over 1200 packs. I hate the current state of standard as it feels like its all grindy planeswalker decks in standard and they did some piss poor implementation of Historic and Brawl.

Thats just the salty ravings of a drop out Arena player though.

Shabbaman
crying casual

Post by Shabbaman » 4 years ago

1200 packs, that's, wow, well, to each their own I guess. I bought a starter bundle and a special bundle, I think thirty bucks in total. With a bunch of wildcards I got into rakdos knights (well, Embercleave plus some knights) and I won a lot of BO1 (why does everyone resign?) which got me a lot of packs. And gold, which got me more packs. I also got the historic bundle for gold or gems, but I just don't have enough wildcards to build a real deck. And it seems that I need to grind bo1 until eternity, or buy 1200 packs.

I don't know. I'd rather play tabletop.

On the bright side, I taught my 7 year old son to play Magic. He beats me all the time. Damn genes.
“Our words are backed with OBLIVION STONE!" - Mahatma Gandhi

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Shabbaman wrote:
4 years ago
1200 packs, that's, wow, well, to each their own I guess. I bought a starter bundle and a special bundle, I think thirty bucks in total. With a bunch of wildcards I got into rakdos knights (well, Embercleave plus some knights) and I won a lot of BO1 (why does everyone resign?) which got me a lot of packs. And gold, which got me more packs. I also got the historic bundle for gold or gems, but I just don't have enough wildcards to build a real deck. And it seems that I need to grind bo1 until eternity, or buy 1200 packs.

I don't know. I'd rather play tabletop.

On the bright side, I taught my 7 year old son to play Magic. He beats me all the time. Damn genes.
So, my intention was that once I got my collection caught up I could primarily maintain it through gold and playing the client. My issue is that I found out that I hate current standard and historic currently feels too much like standard and brawl is one day a week. Its actually very possible to farm most of a 4x set of a new set between sets if you play daily but I found out the hard way that I hated their format as it stood for like over six months.

The challenge is primarily getting the collection set up so you can start banking gold essentially immediately when a set comes out. I did some calculations at one point and felt that it was entirely reasonable to get somewhere between 100-200 packs off of gold depending heavily in how much you wanted to make sure you got your daily quests done regularly. Generally speaking I ballpark a set at 250ish packs for essentially full sets of everything given the wildcards to fill in based on what you opened.

Assuming you play daily its fairly easy to farm 1000-1500 gold a day. Even if you get a 500 gold quest and just play to five wins in that day its over a pack a day and given three months per release thats 90 packs right there and thats not taking into consideration any days you get higher value quests, play more, or the change beyond the one pack a day thats easily farming. If you get the gold for the 4 wins in a day / finish your quest you probably still end up with something like 110-125 packs for free per set.
Last edited by ISBPathfinder 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

How are the draft bots on there at this point? That's the most appealing part of it to me if the bots are making picks like actual people. I remember they were drastically undervaluing the mill deck in ELD and that sounded like a terrible format to play in that case.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
How are the draft bots on there at this point? That's the most appealing part of it to me if the bots are making picks like actual people. I remember they were drastically undervaluing the mill deck in ELD and that sounded like a terrible format to play in that case.
I am not sure that I have really heard anything new on that front. I believe they still kind of suck but I also never drafted so I don't actually know.

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

I straight up can't figure out what to play, and what decks I actually want on my roster. :anxious:

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

Airi wrote:
4 years ago
I straight up can't figure out what to play, and what decks I actually want on my roster. :anxious:
What's making you think that? For eg:

I had my Drana 1.0 deck for so long that I finally got bored of it recently and changed it to Elenda. The idea of the deck and the fact that it hadn't changed a whole lot over such a long time kinda killed it for now.

Zegana 1.0 was always a deck on the back burner, so I also recently decided to retire it. Might actually revisit it with a higher importance soon, with some of the Leviathan etc goodies lately.

My idea for Elsha was just a straight up terrible one, lol. Good thing it never saw the light of day on here.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

Airi wrote:
4 years ago
I totally get that.
I'm certain what my roster should consist of (1 of each mono and 2C) and i would be open for commander swaps in certain slots - but there simply aren't any that excite me enough to go for it, that don't see play already in my meta.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”