[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
My wife underwent surgery to donate bone marrow today.
I don't mean to pry, but do people get paid to do that?
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
It's not prying; I put it out there. No, you don't get paid for it. It's more of a kindness being its own reward kind of thing. Everything is paid for though. Nothing is charged to us, like meals, gas, lodging etc. What really sucks is that I can't be with her at the hospital because of COVID-19 precautions, so I'm two miles away in a hotel. It's some rare time on my own that I'm trying to make the most of, but I'd still rather be with her.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
Legend wrote:
3 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
No, you don't get paid for it. It's more of a kindness being its own reward kind of thing.
Then she is, in my opinion, an actual heroine.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
Legend wrote:
3 years ago

No, you don't get paid for it. It's more of a kindness being its own reward kind of thing.
Then she is, in my opinion, an actual heroine.
That's very kind of you, and I'll tell her you said that. She'll be flattered.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
My wife underwent surgery to donate bone marrow today. When I was in pharmacy school, my friend's son was diagnosed with Fanconi anemia, and organized an event with Be the Match, a non-profit that connects donors and recipients. She got the call in January, and a courier is currently on his way to Texas for a 13-year old boy with sickle cell anemia. I'm really proud of her.
That's really cool and quite a selfless thing to do. I can't say I've necessarily been doing anything selfless lately--some donating here or there, but I'd rather not make a big deal about it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been getting some Commander games in the last few weeks through a discord I'm on, which has been such a good thing for me. Helped me get around to building an entirely new deck (K'rrik, where every other non-land card in the deck isn't allowed to have colorless costs in the card's mana cost), and just recently I got Ikoria cards in so I could build a Godzilla-themed Animar deck I've been dreaming about for a long, long time. Mutate on Animar is the bee's knees. I keep some bounce spells in the deck for protection, so the whole stack goes back to my hand and I can re-mutate onto Animar and get new counters. The only Godzilla card I haven't really been able to fit in is Godzilla, Doom Inevitable--8/8 trample+haste is nice, but the cycling feels way too lacking compared to a lot of other stuff.

Anywho, the only video game I've really played recently is Earthbound for the 30th time or so.

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

EDHRec added a dark mode and this makes me very happy.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 3 years ago

I started playing D&D again. Last time I played seirously was in 2nd and 3rd edition, some lifetimes ago. We discussed about playing something more "mature" like Vampire or Mage but since the whole world is going bananas we went for silly level 1 adventuring. Never been so excited about killing rats in the basement of a shady inn before!
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

D&D 5E has been a lot of fun. I'm usually big on crunchy systems (probably not that uncommon for the forum-going population of MtG players) and I haven't been bothered by the simplicity at all. There's still plenty of room for character customization and RP and it's been nice that most things work without planning out character progression levels in advance.

Have fun with the rat hunting!
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

ZenN

D&D5e is fine, but it's a little too fluffy, hand-wavy, and swingy for my tastes.

I'm much more of a Pathfinder person. Played lots of Pathfinder Society for years, up until PF2e came out and most people stopped playing PF1e.
The PF2e system has potential, but I've very little desire to make the switch to it until there are many, many more player options printed for it.
Commander

freelunch

Post by freelunch » 3 years ago

I quite like 5e as its enabled me to convince a few friends to play. I definitely wish we could dive into a more rules-heavy system, but most of my friends would run away scared.

I'm still trying to figure out how we got one of them to play Alternity back in the day. One whole side of your character sheet is dedicated to skills in that game...

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 3 years ago

It's been a couple of years since I played D&D, but I had a blast with 5E. I think I spent more time building my character's, well, character than stats and I found it quite enjoyable. Of course it helped that I used to read the 3E Player's Handbook cover-to-cover as a kid, so I absorbed the mechanics much faster than my mates.

I'm glad I found Commander shortly after that fizzled out; I always need something analytical to throw myself into. Speaking of which, I've noticed a significant uptick in both my time invested in Commander brewing and my enjoyment of it since my PhD was accepted a few weeks ago. (My boss isn't sure whether to call me "Sir" or "Dr", but Australia doesn't so knighthoods anymore so that answers that).
Kefnet Voltron | Ayli Reanistocrats | Derevi Pod | Kodama//Ishai Blink | Jetmir Hatebears | Kess Storm | Smasher//Sakashima Control

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

Myllior wrote:
3 years ago
It's been a couple of years since I played D&D, but I had a blast with 5E. I think I spent more time building my character's, well, character than stats and I found it quite enjoyable. Of course it helped that I used to read the 3E Player's Handbook cover-to-cover as a kid, so I absorbed the mechanics much faster than my mates.

I'm glad I found Commander shortly after that fizzled out; I always need something analytical to throw myself into. Speaking of which, I've noticed a significant uptick in both my time invested in Commander brewing and my enjoyment of it since my PhD was accepted a few weeks ago. (My boss isn't sure whether to call me "Sir" or "Dr", but Australia doesn't so knighthoods anymore so that answers that).
Has he considered "Dr. Sir"? (And congrats, btw!)
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

I think I like Sir Dr. more. Congrats as well, thats a big deal. Whats your field?
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Segrus

Myllior wrote:
3 years ago
Quite an accomplishment--great job!

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

Myllior wrote:
3 years ago
Congratulations, that's a hell of an accomplishment.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

ZenN

I wonder what the highest number of officially recognized honorifics a person could have would be.

It's also interesting to me how some cultures handle stacking honorifics. In some places, a person with both a knighthood and a doctorate would only be called by one of them (whichever that particular culture prioritizes; for example, I think in the UK Sir always take precedence, but I could be mistaken). And no matter how many PhDs a person has, most of us will generally just call them "Dr. ____",

However, I once had a German friend explain to me how his father is officially recognized as "Herr Doktor Doktor ______", because they stack their honorifics over there.

So, off the top of my head, I suppose the most would probably be someone in Germany who has multiple doctorates, a title of peerage, a military rank, and a position in the clergy? There are probably some others I'm missing.
Commander

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

So..... like Duke General Doctor Cardinal So and So lol. That would be extreme.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Myllior

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
Has he considered "Dr. Sir"? (And congrats, btw!)
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
I think I like Sir Dr. more. Congrats as well, thats a big deal. Whats your field?
SocorroTortoise wrote:
3 years ago
Congratulations, that's a hell of an accomplishment.
Segrus wrote:
3 years ago
Quite an accomplishment--great job!
Thanks all :) My field is structural engineering; specifically, shear buckling of thin-walled steel sections. Did lots of maths and coding and, somehow, not a single experiment.

The next step is to figure out if I want to stay in industry or move to academia, but there's no rush given the current situation, so I'll sort that out later.
Kefnet Voltron | Ayli Reanistocrats | Derevi Pod | Kodama//Ishai Blink | Jetmir Hatebears | Kess Storm | Smasher//Sakashima Control

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 3 years ago

Congratulations, and well done!

I'll second ISB's liking of Sir Dr. as your title :)
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 3 years ago

Congrats! :)

Segrus

Myllior wrote:
3 years ago
Thanks all :) My field is structural engineering; specifically, shear buckling of thin-walled steel sections. Did lots of maths and coding and, somehow, not a single experiment.

The next step is to figure out if I want to stay in industry or move to academia, but there's no rush given the current situation, so I'll sort that out later.
Very interesting there. I've done a lot of calculations on steel parts, although generally on the simplistic side for work and rarely thin-walled. Anything specific get you into that topic?

Myllior

Thanks @Sanity_Eclipse and @Airi!
Segrus wrote:
3 years ago
Very interesting there. I've done a lot of calculations on steel parts, although generally on the simplistic side for work and rarely thin-walled. Anything specific get you into that topic?
Nah it wasn't. I did research during my undergrad a couple of times for my to-be supervisor and as I neared the end he asked if I wanted to do a PhD. When I said yes, he came up with three potential topics for me and we went from there. The best part was, because I'm both fairly mathematically-minded and intrigued by maths for maths sake, he could give me some unique choices that he wouldn't typically offer, which led to some really interesting findings.

For example, at one point I was analysing polygonal tubes in pure torsion and noticed my results were indicating some special behaviour. So I went digging and found a paper from 1888 which, when I re-jigged the equations for my particular problem, gave a perfect match. I thought it wasn't a big deal - after all, the equations had been around for 128 years (at the time) - but when I presented it later that year (as an afterthought, since I'd discovered this after submitting the paper I presented) I was surprised to find that no one there had even heard of it!

To be honest, that was how the majority of the research in my PhD came to be; notice an interesting result and follow it through until, whoops, I've written another paper. Ahh, I miss that. (And thanks to whoever reads this for reminiscing with me :) ).

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

Research is fun. Enjoying it was why I had such success in college, but I never got it to translate vocationally unfortunately.

Congrats!
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Research is fun. Enjoying it was why I had such success in college, but I never got it to translate vocationally unfortunately.

Congrats!
same, but i also move on quickly from one topic to another
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

so,i'm playing Civ 6 and well Gandhi has the bomb.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”