[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

Well, guess [mention]Jivanmukta[/mention] has to give up his title now.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle
Pronoun: he / him

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

The spirits of EDH?
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

What kind of spirit? Whiskey?
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Going from internet discussions about the format, probably something bottom shelf in a plastic bottle.

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

Somewhat random question of aesthetics for the Off-Topic masses: Which Commander set logo is your favorite, and what's your least favorite?

Least Favorite:
For me it's a rough tie between 2015 and 2016 (eg: Meren and Breya). C15 is just blocky looking and boring, in general and on the card. C16's logo is what, supposed to be a sword and shield? I think it would look better if the sword was at a diagonal. They could even be lazy with future logos and just change the particular corner it's angled towards. 2014 (the mono-color decks eg Titania) isn't great, but it's tolerable.

Favorite:
2017 is my favorite one so far (the tribal decks eg Inalla), and 2018 and '19's are pretty similar but still cool looking. Gotta give a shout out to the OG logo though.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
4 years ago
Which Commander set logo is your favorite, and what's your least favorite?
1. Commander
2. Commander 2018
3. Commander 2019
4. Commander's Arsenal
5. Commander 2014
6. Commander Anthology 2
7. Commander Anthology
8. Commander 2016
9. Commander 2015
10. Commander 2017
11. Commander 2013

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
4 years ago
Somewhat random question of aesthetics for the Off-Topic masses: Which Commander set logo is your favorite, and what's your least favorite?

Least Favorite:
For me it's a rough tie between 2015 and 2016 (eg: Meren and Breya). C15 is just blocky looking and boring, in general and on the card. C16's logo is what, supposed to be a sword and shield? I think it would look better if the sword was at a diagonal. They could even be lazy with future logos and just change the particular corner it's angled towards. 2014 (the mono-color decks eg Titania) isn't great, but it's tolerable.

Favorite:
2017 is my favorite one so far (the tribal decks eg Inalla), and 2018 and '19's are pretty similar but still cool looking. Gotta give a shout out to the OG logo though.
There is only OG 2011 logo.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

Big 2011 energy up in here. Mimeo Goat Hug Angel Saproling Copying FTW.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Well gencon is.... interesting. Gotten in games with Sheldon, Toby, and Scott. Toby is insanely fun to play against, and perfectly tly embodies the spirit of edh.
I am now jealous of that. What decks did they play? got any recaps/highlights?

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Sheldon has been pretty busy, so the only game I got in with him has been Muldrotha. Scott played his Arixmethedes (and no I'm not even going to attempt to spell that correctly). It's probably his favorite deck because he designed that general exactly how he wanted and it made it through design untouched. He also played the new bird general to practice it, as well as Brion Stoutarm. Toby had Heliod, the new 3 color omnath, and I feel like something else. Omnath is.... ew. Gavin played Mayael and I can't remember the second deck he played (unless he played the same deck twice).

I didn't keep track of games, but there were two memorable games. In the first it was myself with the three of them (no Sheldon because he is a celebrity with commitments). I was playing Karador, Gavin had Mayael unless it was his other deck which had red in it, and Scott had birdo. I opted against a turn 1 Spore Frog which would have been relevant when Toby played turn 2 Luminarch Ascension (he did this again in another game, so the obvious conclusion is that he is a cheater). Needless to say, he had angles. Lots and lots of angles. Despite this, I put a target on my back with a Skullclamp and did Karador things. Birthing Pod and Karmic guide helped stabilize me, and at one point I podded a 4 drop for Sidisi just to tutor for False Prophet because ew that board. To be fair though, Toby had lethal on board but wanted to see what shenanigans I was up to with my tutoring. And then when things were starting to look up, Gavin plays Decree of Annihilation and resets the board except that he and Scott both had Ghostly Prison. With floated mana he recasts Avacyn (oh yeah, he was playing flip Avacyn). We go around the table playing draw go, and Scott is quietly hitting a pocket of land. Gavin aims Avacyn at me first and I'm dead in 3 turns. Toby is eventually next. Gavin has been stuck on one land and can't attack Scott due to the prison. Scott peels off Strip Mine and uses it on Gavin's only land, which is fortunate because his next card was a second land. And now I'm blanking on what Scott drew next, but it was another top deck that pretty much ended the game.

In another game it was five player along with some Magic personality whose name I can't remember. He didn't have a deck so he borrowed Gavin's Oona deck. Gavin suggested we play pentagram to make it go faster, so my opponents were Toby and other guy. The game itself wasn't memorable enough that I can recall a play by play, but at one point I Briberied Oona for Consecrated Sphinx which he promptly got back with Take Possession. Then I cast Mnemonic Betrayal, casting Mindslaver, Cabal Conditioning, and Take Possession (which was back in the graveyard by now). Oona player Hinders Cabal, putting it on top of their own library. Guess who got hit with Cabal Conditioning the next turn? Go ahead, I'll wait.

So yeah, fun time so far. The hest part is that since this isn't a dedicated Magic event there really aren't people trying to get in games with the three of them, let alone recognize them. So pretty much all weekend it's been just chilling with most of the RC playing Magic and talking about everything in general.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

pretty awesome! Wish I could have gone.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

This website is a wonderful place.

Last night, someone in person poo-pooed the precons when asked his opinion. I think I turned his opinion around quickly enough, but as far as why he thought that, I'm seeing elsewhere on the internet people complaining again that the pre-cons are unplayable and worthless, and this lovely community seems to not be following along with the hatred for hatred's sake.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

I think that some of the pre-cons have been totally worthless, but I like the direction C19 is going. The Sultai Morph deck is very interesting and has some powerful cards to play with. The Jeskai deck looks good too and the Naya General is a godsend for Tokens strategies. I'm keen to see what the Madness deck has to offer personally, particularly since that's the deck with K'rrik. Here's to hoping they print Gix!

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
This website is a wonderful place.

Last night, someone in person poo-pooed the precons when asked his opinion. I think I turned his opinion around quickly enough, but as far as why he thought that, I'm seeing elsewhere on the internet people complaining again that the pre-cons are unplayable and worthless, and this lovely community seems to not be following along with the hatred for hatred's sake.
So, I think its early to give it a final thoughts. Last year's precons were just ok on new cards but they suffered from not really having a chase card and the reprints were abysmal (varying per deck but the Jund deck really stood out as being terrible).

This year my issue in a nutshell is that they didn't commit themselves to the themes deep enough. I would have rather we saw less diversity in the commanders as most of the commanders had like one commander for the theme then 3 other legends in those colors that had more to do with the colors themselves rather than the theme they had been going for. Then when you look at the new cards you see like.... 3-5 cards committed to that concept they named for the decks and then its just like..... generic EDH goop cards.

In a nutshell, my opinion of this set so far is they didn't commit anywhere near enough to make some of these concepts viable. They made too many generic commander cards and didn't follow through with their themes nearly to the extent I would have preferred. I won't give final thoughts until I see all of the spoilers / the entire lists for each though. These are just my starting concerns.

I had been eyeing building Trostani, Selesnya's Voice and I have seen zero cards I have put any real consideration into from this product. Thats not a good sign in my opinion.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

I'm very glad they didn't heavily commit to the themes when it comes to new cards. None of those themes are interesting to me and there's only so many ways you can develop generals for some of them to still leave room for interesting deckbuilding. How many ways can you design a morph focused general that doesn't just want all of the best morph cards in the color combo? I'd much rather have one option that supports what they're going for, then other options that leave room to build around beyond sticking the 30 best cards with a related mechanic. That seems substantially better than 3 generals with slightly different flavors of the same deck and that feels like a real danger when the set is designed around a specific mechanic rather than a broader theme.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

I will say though, from the standpoint of making an entry level deck with playable cards I do feel like they are doing a good job. The Jeskai deck looks like a great entry for most any player looking to build most any commander in the colors. It has several cards I would suggest and getting started from it looks nice. The landbases also look quite reasonable and have a few rare lands which is really nice to see.

From a deckbuilding perspective / entry level product I really don't have issues so far. My complaints are more that the themes they announced earlier could use more cards for this format to feel like there are options and sufficient synergy. I almost wish they would stop giving me these vague themes and then not really delivering on them. I would feel a lot less expectation if they had just given the colors of each deck to start.

Remember last year when they super hyped us with saying that it would be Jund landfall? Remember what we got?
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

My biggest issue so far is that putting Fervent Denial into a precon might send a message to new players that that card is playable, and that just seems cruel.

Unrelated, I'm watching a legacy stream where the correct line was for the streamer to Hymn to Tourach himself to get below 3 cards in hand with an Ensnaring Bridge on board in order to survive a lethal attack the following turn. That line puts some of the stuff in the crazy plays thread to shame.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
Remember last year when they super hyped us with saying that it would be Jund landfall? Remember what we got?
We got Lord Windgrace. People love Lord Windgrace.

It's always been my opinion that the 2018 decks are perfectly fine. The issue was marketing. They lowered the count, upped the price, and suggested that the decks would be better than ever, and then they weren't as good as the prior year (which in fairness, is a pretty high bar). It's a perfectly reasonable complaint that Wizards promised more and didn't deliver. And like, you're spot on: getting people hyped for Jund lands and then offering "Jund 10% of the lands deck you wanted and you get to figure out the rest yourself" is not particularly wise. But like, the commander precons are never bad. Every single year they give us decks where the singles are worth more than MSRP, the decks themselves are playable enough for a new Magic playgroup to jump straight into commander, and the legends they print are the most popular commanders for the next calendar year. 2018 was not an exception to this, no matter how poorly it was received, and these 2019 decks really won't be either. It just hurts me, after seeing decades of literally worthless 60 card precons rot on shelves, to see people complain about any of the commander precons. Like, I appreciate measured criticism, I appreciate a preference that they were built to make different play patterns, and I don't appreciate people who think "these are worse than my decks, so why would I buy them?" as though that's the measure that matters.

Edit: I take it all back. 2019 is a bust. They're putting more of this into circulation. The card that really deserves Tibalt's reputation.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Jivanmukta
The Spirit of EDH
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Jivanmukta » 4 years ago

2018 was bad but Partner (with any partner) was the worst for the format.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Windgrace was bad because he had really bad reprints in the deck and very few cards that had synergy with windgrace himself. On top of that, building a good landfall deck in optimal means in Jund is like.... a $3,000 endevor which is far from what we need to be making entry level products for. Lands is one of the more expensive archetypes you can try to build which is why I don't think it was a great concept to aim for.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

I'll be honest and say that I'm one of the ones that doesn't see much in the precons this year (thus far anyway). That being said, as a single product, they're not for me, barring any commanders I must build around.

As a set of cards, there's nothing thus far that gets my blood pumping to play. Part of that could be because the themes of the decks are ones that I don't have any motivation to pursue. I like the concept of morph, but I haven't seen anything that challenges my impulse control. So, yeah, so far it's a no from me.

Again though, I'm not the target audience, so I'm not overly fussed about this. Eldraine coming up looks cool already, I love a nicely themed set and so does my wife, so I can probably convince her to loosen the purse strings some for that.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

I think there's some really interesting stuff in terms of generals out of this round, even if a lot of them are not for me. ^.^

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

The Jeskai deck is slowly growing on me. I might buy that deck so far but I will be passing on Populate and Morph. There are a few of the Jeskai legends I find a bit interesting and the 2 mana red goblin is already pre order for like $12 when I checked. The cost for me to buy singles doesn't make a lot of sense given that.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Did anyone see the flavor text on Aeon Engine? With reversing time the obvious is referring to a time paradox but I can't help but immediately jump to Paradox Engine which was just recently banned. It feels like a very sly double meaning which I find amusing.

I have to give a tip of the hat for that one.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

I picked up the set despite not having much interest in the themes or face cards, mostly because I'd want to pick up a copy of all the new cards anyways. That typically ends up being about as much as buying the decks. The alternate generals have all been interesting and I can see running plenty of the new stuff. Greven in particular is a nostalgia bomb for me - some of my first packs were from Tempest block and his mono-B version was one of the first EDH decks I built.

I do need to get around to selling or giving away a bunch of the stuff from previous years, because I have a bunch of those just sitting in boxes right now. This set won't improve that any.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”