Pronoun: he / him

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Toshi wrote:
3 years ago
Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
We're always happy to listen to ideas for improving things, be it via public discussion, PMs, however.
I was wondering why the "Approved Primer" list isn't in the main forum, while the decklist database is? The other way around would make much more sense to me.
If one were to sift through decklists and see the database on top they might take the quick route instead. And Primers would get a well deserved showcase and increased traffic at best. :thinking:
I agree, I think for the effort you go to with a primer they ought to be showcased rather than having to be searched out. If the extent of that is adding the primer database to the general commander forum that ought to be pretty easy. We'll have a talk about it, I think this is a pretty easy thing to do that makes a lot of sense.
Without any ulterior motives, are there any news about this?

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

EonAon wrote:
3 years ago
OK maybe I'm missing something but whats up with all the snow hate? Until VERY recently there were very few things that cared about snow more than oh look snow mana symbol on slightly bad card and the strionic resonator/snow lands thing has been out for ages since this is not the first time snows been played. Scrying sheets been out for a decade at least and until now never been seriously played. None of the new cards that care about snow seems THAT broken. I really dont understand.
I think the issue is less about the power level of snow matters cards and more about the inherent lack of opportunity cost paid by running snow basics vs the positive benefit (potentially) gained by running them. There's literally no in-game reason to NOT run snow basics over non-snow basics at this point, so it's created this weird, arbitrary tax on folks' budgets and deckbuilding should they want to be "optimal" about things and include even a single snow matters card in a deck. It's marginal though, and I'm unlikely to alter my lists much, if at all.

Honestly, my biggest gripe is with snow lands effect with Field of the Dead, which doesn't need more help. Granted it's not nearly as much of a monstrosity in commander.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

I don't have a problem with snow basics. Extraplanar Lens and Field of the Dead are their biggest payoffs, and now there's the god that lets them untap every turn. They are still basics after all, and if the payoffs are few, or at least in line with what players are doing anyway, then it's fine with me.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Toshi wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Toshi wrote:
3 years ago
I was wondering why the "Approved Primer" list isn't in the main forum, while the decklist database is? The other way around would make much more sense to me.
If one were to sift through decklists and see the database on top they might take the quick route instead. And Primers would get a well deserved showcase and increased traffic at best. :thinking:
I agree, I think for the effort you go to with a primer they ought to be showcased rather than having to be searched out. If the extent of that is adding the primer database to the general commander forum that ought to be pretty easy. We'll have a talk about it, I think this is a pretty easy thing to do that makes a lot of sense.
Firstly congrats on the primer! Thread looks really well presented, you did very well.

Admins don't seem to have a problem with it either way so it's nice to know its doable. I think we could do this, I'll have a chat with the rest of the committee and see if we can come to a consensus on it.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
It's interesting trying to figure out what makes a commander "click". It's kind of funny to read what people hate about modern commander design because it's often somewhat contradictory. We don't like extremely narrow, obvious designs...but we also don't like extremely open-ended designs. We don't like super powerful designs, but we also don't like super weak designs.

Obviously everyone is different, lots of people love Golos. Personally I loved Golos for roughly 1.8 seconds, between reading his first ability and the second. Lands matter is fun, toolboxes are fun. Throwing all the biggest dumbest bombs in a deck...not fun. To me.
For me, I want one of two things out of my commanders. I want them to allow me to do something weird/unique/silly or I just want to really like the card. Basically they need to scratch my Timmy or Johnny itch.
  • Golos, Tireless Pilgrim - Public opinion here is to hate on Golos decks. I wanted to build a Golos deck that was fun and interesting to play against instead of a painful slog. After every game with this deck I ask everyone I played against if they thought it was interesting and I receive mostly positive feedback. If I didn't receive positive feedback, cards get axed.
  • Lazav, the Multifarious allows me to utilize each combat step. I can declare him as an attacker, turn him into Fog Bank before blockers, then after blockers are declared turn him into Phage the Untouchable or whatnot. It allows me to consistently utilize parts of the game that aren't utilized.
  • Tivadar of Thorn was a meta-game call because there was so many Mono-R decks floating around. It's a pure meme deck, and building a deck around using him to actually kill goblins with some consistency was hilariously difficult. Ironically, I'm pretty sure this deck has the best win% of any of my decks.
  • The Ur-Dragon is just a straight power upgrade over Karona, False God for my tribal tribal deck. That's the only time I've ever done that but the deck is full of immensely dumb synergies.
  • Progenitus says "Protection from everything" which has got to be the coolest line of text on any legendary. Have you seen this card art? That mana cost? How could I not want to kill people with this card.
  • Jaya Ballard, Task Mage... I honestly don't remember why I built this deck. It's been too long. The deck is hella fun to pilot though and it scales pretty well against differing power levels. I probably like it because the deck has so many decision points and Jaya single-handedly utterly blows out glass cannon decks that run no interaction and heavily rely on their general. AKA the thing I hate most in this format.
  • Chromium was built purely for childish nostalgia and because I like the art.

At one point I had a deck for each mono-color and a bunch of guilds. These are my favorite decks that have survived my slow trimming process. 5 of them I've been playing for just shy of a decade. Only Golos and Lazav are from the past couple of years.

My generals are usually not the main focus of the deck, usually they just supplement the deck's strategy. The exception being Lazav, the Multifarious which basically can't function at all without him.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

does anyone try to limit the amount of Legendaries they put in deck? I've been toying with a lot of ideas for Colfenor and keep noticing main-deck commanders that make the strategy better, like... Renata, Called to the Hunt makes it so that I can use Colfenor to focus on two creatures with the same toughness, each bringing the other back from the grave, and hey, Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord and Izoni, Thousand-Eyed both feature very cool sacrifice outlets, then adding Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest and Savra, Queen of the Golgari lets you reap the rewards of all that and, let's add Ghave, Guru of Spores to taste since he's perfectly harmonious with all those cards, and so forth, and these legends just assemble themselves into these custom combos in just about any configuration and none of them even have to attack to function and I wonder if you can just overdose on golgari legendary generic good stuff, lol. Bow of Nylea's legendary as well, groan.

If they printed "1ww, sorcery, destroy all legends" I wouldn't be at all upset and, frankly, this deck would bounce right back from it anyway. I might try and keep myself to just three main deck legendary cards because it feels like i'm neglecting the rest of my collection, maybe make a separate Izoni deck that's deadset on sacrificing stuff so as to keep Colfenor more of a versatile ego deck.

toctheyounger

folding_music wrote:
3 years ago
does anyone try to limit the amount of Legendaries they put in deck? I've been toying with a lot of ideas for Colfenor and keep noticing main-deck commanders that make the strategy better, like... Renata, Called to the Hunt makes it so that I can use Colfenor to focus on two creatures with the same toughness, each bringing the other back from the grave, and hey, Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord and Izoni, Thousand-Eyed both feature very cool sacrifice outlets, then adding Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest and Savra, Queen of the Golgari lets you reap the rewards of all that and, let's add Ghave, Guru of Spores to taste since he's perfectly harmonious with all those cards, and so forth, and these legends just assemble themselves into these custom combos in just about any configuration and none of them even have to attack to function and I wonder if you can just overdose on golgari legendary generic good stuff, lol. Bow of Nylea's legendary as well, groan.

If they printed "1ww, sorcery, destroy all legends" I wouldn't be at all upset and, frankly, this deck would bounce right back from it anyway. I might try and keep myself to just three main deck legendary cards because it feels like i'm neglecting the rest of my collection, maybe make a separate Izoni deck that's deadset on sacrificing stuff so as to keep Colfenor more of a versatile ego deck.
I definitely try, but honestly it's actually kinda tough these days. I blame WotC and have good reason for doing so.

It's pretty well known that in modern set design they consider commander with every set release and cater to it to some degree (which I think is a mistake - we don't need to be catered for, just make set and we will find a way to make it do stupid stuff). That has meant over time a much larger percentage of each set is allocated to legendaries, for flavour or story or just catering to our format or all of the above. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but with the rate they're pushing out sets these days it is a bit exhausting. Product fatigue is for sure a thing these days, and there's so many legendaries to keep up with. And that's not even considering that literally anything permanent can be a legendary these days (I know that's been the case forever but it is much more common now). Couple that with the fact that the same cards are rarely just vanilla now, they usually do some cool stuff if not some pushed and broken stuff, and there's no reason not to include them where they fit. It makes something like Urza's Ruinous Blast worth considering tbh.

This was also my main problem with Commander Legends as a set. Generally, I think it was a pretty great release. The problem I have with it was that there was SO much focus on commanders that there really wasn't....much else except for commanders in the set, and that really diluted what else was included aside from these. Like, how many decks did WotC expect me to build from this set? Overall, I think the set was fun and had some great cards and fairly good reprints (there could've been more), but....damn. The more legends you include in a set the less special they become and I feel like they went over the top for this one. I know it's one of the big things that defines how this format plays, but narrowing what makes the format cool down to that one thing is fairly reductive.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Man adulthood is hard. I'm feeling really exhausted and wrung out. My life isn't even particularly complicated either.
-_-

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
Man adulthood is hard. I'm feeling really exhausted and wrung out. My life isn't even particularly complicated either.
-_-
You don't need to validate your own struggle. The pandemic alone has been physically exhausting and existentially draining. And if it's something you don't think you can bear alone, you shouldn't be afraid to seek out therapy. I know I may be making a leap there, but discussions about mental health should happen more often.

Secure your own mask first.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
-_-
It all gets kinda old sometimes, right? Like I look back on it and I understand my mom a lot more now than when I was a kid and she was incomprehensible.

When I was 20 and she was 50 or so we had a long conversation and she told me that she basically couldn't read fiction anymore because it was all the same. I'm starting to feel that way, first it was video games that are all basically just the same thing with different pictures, and now I'm kinda getting tired of most kinds of fiction. My brain relentlessly wants to connect everything I see/hear to stuff I've already seen, so it's really easy for things to start to feel derivative. Music is especially bad.

All the grownup %$#% like paying bills and cleaning and organizing and arranging stuff has gotten pretty danged tedious.

I feel ya, I think anyway :)

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
-_-
I know it feels like we have more time on our hands so we should be able to cope better. In Montreal, we have been under curfew since Christmas.
But I have less time on my hands. More work than ever. Emotionally, I feel battered.
Depression in itself is exhausting. And I reckon most of us are battling depression these days.

I think we all need to take time to get some exercise, to make time for ourselves, and, be open to psychological help. (though I heard that psychologists in my area are completely booked solid)

In any case, don't downplay how you feel.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

materpillar
the caterpillar

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
You don't need to validate your own struggle. The pandemic alone has been physically exhausting and existentially draining. And if it's something you don't think you can bear alone, you shouldn't be afraid to seek out therapy. I know I may be making a leap there, but discussions about mental health should happen more often.

I appreciate the thought and agree with you opinions on therapy 100%. Its more that I just had a falling out with a friend and it hurts. Instead of having a restful weekend I had a confrontation and fight. I have high emotional inertia so my mood takes longer to settle from emotional spikes than the average person. I'm just feeling mentally wrung out and trying to pull my emotions back together during the middle of the work week takes energy and it's hard. Truly I'm really blessed with a wonderful family and support group, I just need some time to process.
pokken wrote:
3 years ago
It all gets kinda old sometimes, right? Like I look back on it and I understand my mom a lot more now than when I was a kid and she was incomprehensible.

When I was 20 and she was 50 or so we had a long conversation and she told me that she basically couldn't read fiction anymore because it was all the same. I'm starting to feel that way, first it was video games that are all basically just the same thing with different pictures, and now I'm kinda getting tired of most kinds of fiction. My brain relentlessly wants to connect everything I see/hear to stuff I've already seen, so it's really easy for things to start to feel derivative. Music is especially bad.

All the grownup %$#% like paying bills and cleaning and organizing and arranging stuff has gotten pretty danged tedious.

I feel ya, I think anyway :)
I'd hate to lose the ability to enjoy fiction. Reading is one of my favorite parts of life. I guess I'll try to take that less for granted moving forward. The endless march of dishes will continue to be endless. I'm really looking forward to owning a dishwasher. *shakes fist at apartment life*
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
I know it feels like we have more time on our hands so we should be able to cope better. In Montreal, we have been under curfew since Christmas.
But I have less time on my hands. More work than ever. Emotionally, I feel battered.
Depression in itself is exhausting. And I reckon most of us are battling depression these days.

I think we all need to take time to get some exercise, to make time for ourselves, and, be open to psychological help. (though I heard that psychologists in my area are completely booked solid)

In any case, don't downplay how you feel.
It's amazing how much we all rely on social connections. As far as exercise goes, I'm super excited for the weather to get 10-15 degrees warmer. I usually start going on regular jogs once the weather is a bit above freezing as I find they bring me a fair amount of peace. I had a really great habit of going after work but then lockdowns happened and I switched to second shift to avoid interacting with as many people. I just didn't have the motivation to get up early and go on runs before work and the habit died. I'm looking to try and re-establish it this spring. Also, I hope you manage to catch some peace this week.

I appreciate all the support but I don't want to dwell on this too long and to bring anyone's mood down. On average my life is fantastic, I'm just going to be in a bit of a valley for the next few days and I find venting out my emotions in small spurts to various groups of people to be fairly calming. :D

toctheyounger

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
-_-

This is super important. You've gotta have somewhere or someone you can rely on to express how you feel, without fear of judgment. I spent the majority of my early years being pretty alone mentally, and its made me someone who bottles up their feelings until they can't be held in at which point I vent in fairly inappropriate ways. I'm lucky to have a wife that doesn't take any %$#% and that I can talk bluntly with.

Its a fairly common thing where I live anyway though, particularly for males. New Zealanders have this 'harden up' mentality where to show or express the way you feel is seen as pretty weird, and it means there's a whole lot of depression, abusive relationships and alcoholism out there. Its starting to change, the definition of what it means to be a man here in nz, but a lot of it is generational now so there's a whole lot of guys out there that really struggle to express how they feel.

I guess in some respects we're lucky that the pandemic hasn't hit us nearly as hard as the rest of the world. We caught it early and played it well as a country. Still, even the fairly light brush we've had with lockdown has made things tough in some ways. Flip-flopping in and out of lockdown has made my work incredibly laborious, and I'm personally pretty drained, between that and the last 2 months of my very small team having at least two people perpetually on leave and neither of those people being me. It gets really hard to bear it with a smile abd continue carrying the team when they won't do it for you.

Real life is hard at the best of times yall. Having somewhere to talk through your woes and refill your gas tank is so important.

toctheyounger

Toshi wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Toshi wrote:
3 years ago
Quick update here btw - committee is in general agreement this is a good idea and a pretty easy quality of life update. Its on the to do list. Hoping to have it done by the end of the week.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 3 years ago

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
-_-
Whenever I'm overwhelmed by adulthood I always listen to this song:

pokken

So I don't know how interesting this will be but if you're like me you have a ton of old ebooks from the days of PDFs being the dominant available ebook format. Questionable legality aside back in those days the attitude was - because ebooks were simply unavailable - that a scanned copy of a paper book you owned was legitimate to have.

Anyway, I have a ton of old PDFs of my library that I've converted to Epubs over the years because they're a more pleasant reading experience. Unfortunately those PDF conversions leave really jarring page numbers in the middle of text. Stuff like:
"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."

Section 1.10.32 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum", written by Cicero in 45 BC
"Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem.

Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?"
I don't know why but those artifacts really annoy the heck out of me. So I wrote a simple python script that fixes them. Unfortunately there are some artifacts, like the Ebooklib module screws up headers and breaks title pages, but that's not really an issue to me since what I care about is the reading experience not looking at the title page :P

Anyway, the code may be useful to you as an example of how to use BS4 and Ebooklib to edit ebooks as well, so figured I'd share with my fellow programmers ;).

Code is *not* pretty or anything good, but is pretty easy to understand I think.

https://bitbucket.org/pokken/ebookfixer

Dunharrow

I find it so interesting to learn that pokken programs. We know so little about each other.
@pokken do you read Latin?

pokken

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
I find it so interesting to learn that pokken programs. We know so little about each other.
@pokken do you read Latin?
lol, nope not at all :) My latin is all 'I know Spanish and English and a lot of the words are the same' so I can guess a lot of times.

I just use the lorem ipsum generator for simulating blocks of text, from back when I had to do web design YUCK :)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I wish I had taken latin. Pharmacy school would've been at least a little bit easier.

Dunharrow

Wait so Lord of the Rings and Warhammer are both joining MtG? We all saw this coming.
Hope it's more Godzilla and less Walking Dead.

Also hope Galadriel is BG. If she is white I am going to throw a fit.
Also:
Aragorn is WG
Gimli is Red (maybe RW)
Legolas is G, maybe UG
Gandalf is U, maybe UW
Sam is RG
Frodo is W
Sauron is B (maybe a bit of UR since he made the rings of power)
Saruman is UB
Gollum is BR

And I will fight you all over this

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

Personally, I just wish they would stop making every set into ravnica. Back in the day, most sets had almost zero multicolored. Now it feels like half of the playable cards are multicolored.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

I'm holding judgment on the LotR/40k news until we have more information on the sets but I have no idea how 40k in particular is supposed to fit into MtG in a lore friendly way. Part of the appeal of the game is a distinct universe, so turning it into more of a pop culture dumping ground isn't really welcome news.

edit: Now that I've actually read the announcement article on Universes Beyond, they're not supposed to fit in a lore friendly way. Combined with the ridiculous price spikes recently, this might be an indication it's time for me to sell off a pretty significant chunk of my collection.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

toctheyounger

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
Wait so Lord of the Rings and Warhammer are both joining MtG? We all saw this coming.
Hope it's more Godzilla and less Walking Dead.

Also hope Galadriel is BG. If she is white I am going to throw a fit.
Also:
Aragorn is WG
Gimli is Red (maybe RW)
Legolas is G, maybe UG
Gandalf is U, maybe UW
Sam is RG
Frodo is W
Sauron is B (maybe a bit of UR since he made the rings of power)
Saruman is UB
Gollum is BR

And I will fight you all over this
Agreed re format, and I was interested in your take moreso than pretty much anyone elses, as pretty much the only other person I know who's heavily into both MtG and Middle Earth.

I guess the reason I hope it's merely a reskin is that doing a dedicated set with this particular IP is just a disservice to the source material. There's no way they can achieve the depth required to give Middle Earth a fair shake, so I hope they don't try. That being said, reskins probably aren't going to hit some of my favourite characters, like the Witch-King of Angmar, Grond, Balrogs, Shelob and/or Ungoliant or Melkor/Morgoth. And that's only covering the dark side - if we're even going down this track I want to see barrow-wights, ents, Thranduil, Feanor, Elrond, Celeborn, Theoden and the Rohirrim, Grima Wormtongue (?Dark Confidant?) the Steward of Minas Tirith and his sons, Glorfindel (especially the last considering my boy done got robbed in the films). And I just can't see that level of content without multiple sets. If they do it half assed they're gonna the Tolkien fans right off.

That's not even to speak of iconic places! If we don't see the fords of Bruinen, Caradhras, the mines of Moria, Minas Tirith, Minas Morgul, Barad-Dur, Mount Doom (easy Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle reskin I guess), we ain't doing it right. And of course, the One Ring, but what of the rest? Replicating Ring would suffice for the nine, but that still leaves the seven and the three. I could look the other way for the seven as at the time of the Third Age they're lost to time or the Dark Lord, but all of the Three are in active use at that time, and if they're not presented, I will be disappointed.

I also unironically wouldn't be sad to see Tom Bombadil be represented either. I can understand why he wasn't in the films, but MtG has enough comic relief to be able to support the character and still give him a depth of power to do the character right. Sure, he's a bit silly, but he's also literally the one character in the entire lore that isn't impacted by the power of the ring.

I'm torn, really. I think I want a special set of reskins, but I don't think that's what will happen, and if it does there's only a very slim chance we get the depth of content I crave.

Also, I'm gonna disagree with Smeagol/Gollum. I see him as bw. Sure, he's twisted, craven and desperate, but there is still good inside him, even if it is deep. Otherwise I'm all on board for your color representations here.

toctheyounger

And on actually reading the article, Warhammer Commander decks are fine by me. I know little about the lore, so I have no skin in that game.

The article is pretty reticent in details re the LotR product, so I think it'll probably be something relatively unconvential. Perhaps some sort of standalone Archenemy product? It could work, but as per my previous post I don't think there's going to be the depth of lore I would crave as someone who adores the source. There's hints that it'll be a side product of some kind, so who knows?

pokken

I just don't care, I can avoid it if I want.

If they ever make an Amber MTG set I'd be super excited so I can understand how people would feel the same about LOTR or Warhammer or whatever.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”