[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

ZenN
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
I mean, the whole 'Sally is dying' thing might have turned a few people away from forums. I know I checked out for a long time, but then decided to give Nexus a go. Right now, I think the community is a bit divided between the two sites. IMO everyone should migrate to the *clearly* better site (this one).

Facebook groups and Reddit seem to be a popular way to discuss Magic too, though I much prefer forums for discussions.
Reddit "discussion" is so shallow and meaningless. It's just people memeing at each other and being tools, and communally complaining about the same three or four topics every couple days.

I agree with the bit about Salvation, though. I also checked out for quite some time. The worst part is that it doesn't feel like we ended up with a split of half the old Salvation users staying there and half moving here. It seems more like we ended up with a small portion staying there, a small portion moving here, and the rest giving up entirely.

@pokken makes some good points, though, about how more traffic could be driven here.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

It has been done:

It's not perfect yet, but a great start, i think.
Since the thread didn't get much attention so far, i'd be very happy, if you would check it out.

Excuse me now, i'm going to open up a beer and binge-watch the whole 5th season of The Expanse. :party:

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 3 years ago

Toshi wrote:
3 years ago
It has been done:

It's not perfect yet, but a great start, i think.
Since the thread didn't get much attention so far, i'd be very happy, if you would check it out.

Excuse me now, i'm going to open up a beer and binge-watch the whole 5th season of The Expanse. :party:

Naw, congratulations! Finishing a primer is super rewarding, even if the thread isn't particularly active. Ask me; my primer only has 12 replies (on this forum, at any rate), 8 of which are mine. I wrote it for myself and for the random unregistered users who stumble across it, not for recognition.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
3 years ago
Noice! Is there a possibility of having middle-click open in a new tab when it's using urlN?
added
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

I remember hopping over in 2019, and there being a comprehensive bbcode documentation linked from the side of the post editor. Poof! Once a necessary evil of write-up presentation on MTGS suddenly became fun and transparent. I started adding shadows in places, running custom colour schemes. Feyd is a fantastic and super friendly wizard, and whenever I'd have a silly request he'd snap his fingers and it'd be resolved in no time flat, to a great standard. This card fan thing is just a lovely reminder of this - Feyd introduces a feature, it gets greeted with fanfare and some what-if expansion ideas, and everything is quickly taken on board and is now live.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
I mean, the whole 'Sally is dying' thing might have turned a few people away from forums. I know I checked out for a long time, but then decided to give Nexus a go. Right now, I think the community is a bit divided between the two sites. IMO everyone should migrate to the *clearly* better site (this one).
Generally, most people have; at least for certain forums. There's no one left in Sally's Commander forums, really. Just a couple of people on both sites, and some people still entering in from google, but they make 2 posts and move on.

Sally's main traffic seems to be Rumor Mill, Cube, Modern.

And you don't want to go into the Rumor Mill.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
3 years ago
You have to know that I now need to know why, and so I probably will.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
bobthefunny wrote:
3 years ago
You really don't want to.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Keyboard warriors, racism, politics. Every time a new set comes out, or a new product, if it has anything that can even conceivably be tied to race or sexism, gloves are being thrown. Eldraine Knights being primarily women in the early previews? RAGE! Linden? RAGE! Women's day charity? RAGE! Non-gendered characters? RAGE! Kaya on a Norse plane? RAGE!

The most current version of this has been "How dare they make a Black History Month themed Secret Lair during Black History Month!" RAGE!

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
bobthefunny wrote:
3 years ago
You really don't want to.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Keyboard warriors, racism, politics. Every time a new set comes out, or a new product, if it has anything that can even conceivably be tied to race or sexism, gloves are being thrown. Eldraine Knights being primarily women in the early previews? RAGE! Linden? RAGE! Women's day charity? RAGE! Non-gendered characters? RAGE! Kaya on a Norse plane? RAGE!

The most current version of this has been "How dare they make a Black History Month themed Secret Lair during Black History Month!" RAGE!
Gotcha. Yeah I'm not gonna seek that out, although tbh I've been known to refute stupidity around these topics on FB regularly. I can't help it. Someone waves their bigotry in my face, I must answer. Besides I have a few friends in the LGBTQ community, so I'm not really comfortable sitting idly by while someone calls them offensive things.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

@Toshi, that's a lot to digest but it's clear that a lot of effort went into it. I also want you to know that I'm going to steal the idea of using loyalty to discuss prices. It looks really slick.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

I honestly go to Sally to check on previews and then come to this Commander forum to the new card discussion if I have something to say.
The racism there regarding Black History Month is pretty nuts. Feel bad for the mods.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

Hey, mmmmm, is there some sort of "How to submit an article" thread or guide hanging around? I've kinda been working on my own format for one - picking a mechanic I like about M:TG, then creating a less obvious EDH deck around it (ie. if my theme is -1/-1 counters, I make a deck that's a lateral attack on the theme and try to avoid immediate things like Hapatra), along with a few decks for other formats and custom cards along the same lines using the Nexus card creator. The decks aren't tuned, more of a brainstorming ground and an excuse to talk about Magic. So very casual, but Commander related. Sounds interesting?

If I can get a hold of the necessary formatting guide and how to submit I'd love to write something up! thnks

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Holy f'ing hell the new Secret lair giants are awesome.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

folding_music wrote:
3 years ago
Hey, mmmmm, is there some sort of "How to submit an article" thread or guide hanging around? I've kinda been working on my own format for one - picking a mechanic I like about M:TG, then creating a less obvious EDH deck around it (ie. if my theme is -1/-1 counters, I make a deck that's a lateral attack on the theme and try to avoid immediate things like Hapatra), along with a few decks for other formats and custom cards along the same lines using the Nexus card creator. The decks aren't tuned, more of a brainstorming ground and an excuse to talk about Magic. So very casual, but Commander related. Sounds interesting?

If I can get a hold of the necessary formatting guide and how to submit I'd love to write something up! thnks
I'm not sure but it's certainly something I'll pass along to the content team.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
I honestly go to Sally to check on previews and then come to this Commander forum to the new card discussion if I have something to say.
The racism there regarding Black History Month is pretty nuts. Feel bad for the mods.
Ugh. I just checked it out. There are certain posters there that I remembered immediately, and...I'm glad they didn't come here.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 3 years ago

Touching back on the Primer chat, I submitted Lathliss and have had some feedback. Wouldn't mind folks just casting an eye over what I currently have in case they have any suggestions, thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=312&p=124193#p124193

Also this is not to cast aspersions on the feedback provided by the CPC, I just like getting extra perspectives cause it helps channel my thoughts a bit more.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Dunharrow

I think I am going to sell my Revised duals. I have 8 of them in total. Also Gaea's Cradle, Mox Diamond and Wheel of Fortune. Their current prices are so high, Have a kid coming in June. Have had little time to play the last few years anyway.

Feels weird. I bought them to play with them, not to profit. Turns out they were the best investments I ever made.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
I think I am going to sell my Revised duals. I have 8 of them in total. Also Gaea's Cradle, Mox Diamond and Wheel of Fortune. Their current prices are so high, Have a kid coming in June. Have had little time to play the last few years anyway.

Feels weird. I bought them to play with them, not to profit. Turns out they were the best investments I ever made.
I'm up to $15k in RL I've sold in the past month, and honestly I don't miss a single card.

Dunharrow

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago

I'm up to $15k in RL I've sold in the past month, and honestly I don't miss a single card.
What's the best way to sell? LGS? TCGPlayer? Ebay?

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago

I did a combination of friends locally and over Twitter. TCG and Ebay are going to be slower and they take a cut, so cutting out the middle man and selling directly for like 10% off TCG means everyone wins.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

I've been a little tempted to unload some of my pricier stuff with all of the current price movements. It's not like I actually go out and play legacy all that often, even outside of global pandemic scenarios.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

... Oracle of Mul Daya foil is $130. When did that happen?

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
... Oracle of Mul Daya foil is $130. When did that happen?
Back in the day, I had $14 of eBay credit and put it towards a slightly beat up judge foil Regrowth|G05, so ended up paying about $2 for it. A couple years later, I traded it to a friend for a judge foil Wheel of Fortune|G10 (around $10-20 cheaper than the Regrowth at the time). The moral of the story is that MtG prices are insane. It's also why I would never even think of trying to foil out an EDH deck if I was starting now.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Dunharrow

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
cryogen wrote:
3 years ago

I did a combination of friends locally and over Twitter. TCG and Ebay are going to be slower and they take a cut, so cutting out the middle man and selling directly for like 10% off TCG means everyone wins.
I don't know anyone interested in these from my playgroup. LGS is likely to take a bigger cut than TCG or Ebay.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

Lol... foil Vizzerdrix is $130

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”