[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
3 years ago
Primer Writers and Cool Post makers:
I've added cardfan to create a nice fan of cards that always flow correctly and fit the screen
Ah yes, right after I dither around making my boxes for hands and adjusting them until they look just right lol :)

Thanks man, this is a cool feature!

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Ah yes, right after I dither around making my boxes for hands and adjusting them until they look just right lol :)
Hey. Of all the people here, you I told ahead of time I was making it :laugh:
lyonhaert wrote:
3 years ago
Ooooh, that's really nifty. I don't know if anybody would want the lower numbers of 2-3 cards to be more adjacent to each other like 4-7 are (to look a bit more like a hand), but it might be something to consider. The only thing I noticed is that when I click on one of them from your examples, I get a "Did you mean one of the following" dialogue with only one bulleted result, when it could probably just go to the card itself on the quick lookup (especially if it's a 'correct' match - case insensitive maybe).
Hm. That was a bug I had to adjust for.
I've forced a refresh again, maybe I forgot to do that after.
Does it work as expected for you now?

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
Can I do something like "giant growth|m11" in order to specify a specific card set?
Absolutely. It uses the same engine as [card] and [cardimg]
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 3 years ago

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
3 years ago
Does it work as expected for you now?
Yep!
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 3 years ago

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
3 years ago
I've added [cardfan] to create a nice fan of cards that always flow correctly and fit the screen.
Feedback welcome & encouraged.
(haven't added to our how-to yet in case changes/etc are requested)

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 3 years ago

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
3 years ago
I've added [cardfan] to create a nice fan of cards that always flow correctly and fit the screen.
Feedback welcome & encouraged.
That looks REALLY great, thanks a lot! Especially for people without any photoshop skills... like me :P

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

I love these fans :3 Here's a cosy magic mood spread, giggle.

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

I have attempted to use this feature to pretty up my sig.

Is there a way that I could have clicking on a card in the fan link to my deck thread instead of the card? That seems unlikely to be an option at the moment.
Last edited by materpillar 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Oh wow, you can click the cards and they pop up. Okay this is amazing.

Also, materpillar, there's a good chance I might try something similar for my sig :P

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 3 years ago

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago

Is there a way that I could have clicking on a card in the fan link to my deck thread instead of the card? That seems unlikely to be an option at the moment.

[edit]: I need to center the text it appears. I'll figure that out later.
Nice! This looks so great!
Is there any possibility to change the card size and make them smaller?

materpillar
the caterpillar

I'd be nice if I could align all of this on the left side of my screen instead of only in the center. We're so needy. :P

I like this feature.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Here's the code for my sig attempt, which is a shameless lifting of materpillar's idea. The trick is just to [center] the text. I've got some bonus crap at the bottom which is currently not displaying, that's likely irrelevant.
EDH Primers

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

cheonice wrote:
3 years ago
materpillar wrote:
3 years ago

[edit]: I need to center the text it appears. I'll figure that out later.
Nice! This looks so great!
Is there any possibility to change the card size and make them smaller?
This. Especially since they will become part of signatures. @Feyd_Ruin
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

First, @Feyd_Ruin, that feature looks really cool and I'm gonna try to use it in my own primer. Thank you for all of your hard work. Nexus is so much better than the highest hopes I had for it.

Speaking of my first foray into primer authorship, I need a little help, folks. What to you actually call spells like Turntimber Symbiosis and See the Unwritten? They're not draw spells or tutors. Dig spells, maybe? Do we have any actual terminology for them?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Dig sounds like good nomenclature for this, yeah.

Actually, seeing how primer-adjacent chatter has been going strong and hijacking the thread for a while now, how would folks feel about a splinter "primer chat" thread? This way we could stop stealing off-topic, yet still have a place to talk shop/encouragement/whatever.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

Eh. I dunno. I find the chat interesting currently as well, and there hasn't been any other off-topic interruptions yet, but people can still chime in as needed.

I think that if off-topic goes off on a different tangent, but there more primer stuff to discuss, that's when you need to start a new thread.
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
Dig spells, maybe?
SPOILER
Show
Hide

pokken

Generally speaking I think we can see from how almost entirely dead the 'rules' forum is that we don't really have a big enough community to break up into so many pieces yet. not like this topic is popping off multiple pages a day on other topics :)

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
3 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
People keep referencing this (thanks Kaldheim) and it's been stuck in my head for about a week running.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

Is it just me, or have things been a little dead around here the last while?
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 3 years ago

ZenN wrote:
3 years ago
Frankly, it's never been particularly busy as forums are a dying medium. I happen to love them and the often in-depth information found in them, but the world has decided otherwise.

Also, there's that whole global pandemic thing keeping people from playing paper Magic. That's why I haven't been as active.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

Code: Select all

[cardfan size="small" c1="daxos the returned" url1="http://nxs.wf/np609" c2="feather, the redeemed" url2="http://nxs.wf/np613" c3="ghired, conclave exile" url3="http://nxs.wf/np10600" c4="patron of the orochi" url4="http://nxs.wf/np608"]
I may have to adjust how the size="small" works later, but I think the current implementation will look good across the board.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

ZenN wrote:
3 years ago
Maybe they're all busy writing primers? :grin:

I think traffic has been about average, with most of it focused on a few single threads, not spread across the board.
There's no avalanche of releases as throughout last year, only few controverse topics, so maybe it's just the calm before the next storm?

Living Plane, Back to Basics, Target Saturation, Field of the Dead, ... there have been some interesting topics, most of which weren't tied to KLD or else.
I always enjoy people not holding back their thoughts and opening a public thread to discuss with others. I'd love to see even more of that.

Anyways, back to write ups. I can see the finish line already...

lyonhaert
Answers: 4

Post by lyonhaert » 3 years ago

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
3 years ago

Code: Select all

[cardfan size="small" c1="daxos the returned" url1="http://nxs.wf/np609" c2="feather, the redeemed" url2="http://nxs.wf/np613" c3="ghired, conclave exile" url3="http://nxs.wf/np10600" c4="patron of the orochi" url4="http://nxs.wf/np608"]
I may have to adjust how the size="small" works later, but I think the current implementation will look good across the board.
Noice! Is there a possibility of having middle-click open in a new tab when it's using urlN?
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

pokken

ZenN wrote:
3 years ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
3 years ago
Frankly, it's never been particularly busy as forums are a dying medium. I happen to love them and the often in-depth information found in them, but the world has decided otherwise.

Also, there's that whole global pandemic thing keeping people from playing paper Magic. That's why I haven't been as active.
I would think that pandemic would jack up the volume of keyboard warriors ready for MTG Theorycraft Combat ;)

My thinking is, honestly, that there is a huge community that wants to talk a little more in depth than you can achieve on Reddit, but those people are spread very thin. most of them are just trying to bang away at Reddit and hopefully get enough upvotes to have their topic get any attention at all. I see people get the same shallow feedback on Reddit, or even no feedback at all, "play more 2 cmc rocks" "play more removal" "play this combo" etc., or just ignored until it fades off the front page and then it's gone.

You're far more likely to get in depth discussions here, and that's a huge selling point for a lot of people. The problem is probably two-fold.

1. I think we're missing the boat on driving content out from the site to draw people in. We need a consistent way to cross-post high value content to places that drive traffic to us. Crosspost popular threads on Reddit, Facebook, Twitter. The problem there is finding out ways to do that that are not invasive, spammy, annoying, or whatever.

2. The other big thing is trying, as forum dinos, to be more welcoming and supportive of new folks. I'm certainly guilty of giving abbreviated or perfunctory answers to questions from newcomers but us forum spammers can really make a difference by going out of our way to engage new posters kindly. There's probably a group of 10-20 people who are very likely to engage thoughtfully and meaningfully in the forum right now - a core group that I'd guess makes up 75% of messages. This group is basically the ambassadorial staff and we need to inspire people to stay and become a part of the community.

I've seen some pretty snippy, combative exchanges here and there and I can say from experience when I get a few of those I tend to shut off interest pretty fast. It's part of why I do not post much on Reddit in the EDH/CEDH communities, people there are just rude and downvote-happy a lot of times.

edit:
pokken wrote: 1. I think we're missing the boat on driving content out from the site to draw people in. We need a consistent way to cross-post high value content to places that drive traffic to us. Crosspost popular threads on Reddit, Facebook, Twitter. The problem there is finding out ways to do that that are not invasive, spammy, annoying, or whatever.
Just to expand on this, some specific things I could see doing:

1) Partnering with Sheldon and the CAG/Commander Council guys to share some links to things. His FB gets a *ton* of traffic, and the deep thoughtful product that shows up here for primers is the type of thing I bet he'd like to see people talking about. Figuring out ways to make that reciprocal are important!

Places like this: https://mtgcommander.net/index.php/cultivated-content/ could really help drive people to see us. IMHO, our primers are some of the best kept secrets on the net, with some really prolific authors like Rumpy, ISBPathfinder and Darrenhabib churning out high quality writing you can't find most places.

2) Connecting with the /r/EDH reddit to promote stuff somehow. I am not sure how our desires could align but it might be nice if they had some kinda autobot that found links to primers to post in threads about particular commanders. Again, I am sure there are places the two communities are at odds, but I think there's a potential way to partner meaningfully there.

3) Connecting with Wizards, specifically. @darrenhabib is almost always one of the first to create really excellent first takes on new commanders as sets release, as an example. I think there's a huge opportunity to promote the site and grow the exposure of a few of the more prolific writers especially aligning with new set releases.

If Wizards were to, say, give us an interesting potential commander as our spoiler card and the site partners with a prolific primer author to crank something out for release, that seems like a consistent angle to draw in new eyes at release time.

Anywho, hope that's useful detail :)

materpillar
the caterpillar

ZenN wrote:
3 years ago
Before the pandemic I was playing EDH once a week at my local gamestore. I've been playing closer to every other week now. I'm not playing as much so I don't have as much to talk about. *shrug*

I imagine that's probably happening to most folks.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

I mean, the whole 'Sally is dying' thing might have turned a few people away from forums. I know I checked out for a long time, but then decided to give Nexus a go. Right now, I think the community is a bit divided between the two sites. IMO everyone should migrate to the *clearly* better site (this one).

Facebook groups and Reddit seem to be a popular way to discuss Magic too, though I much prefer forums for discussions.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”