[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

LGS are really rough to maintain. Its probably one of the less profitable brick and mortar stores you could try to open. People do it out of passion and or need. It rarely ends up being a great experience for those involved.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 4 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
Ulka wrote:
4 years ago
My play group asked I take apart some of my decks just because they are finding them too ridiculous to handle. Ephara Hatebears, Damia, and blind seer had to be decommissioned at the request of my playgroup.
I'm sorry they took that route, mate. Makes me appreciate my group a bit more, though.
nah its all good. We have a group policy if you cant stand a deck after a few weeks of it you can request the deck be decommissioned. It helps prevent an arms race and keep our groups vision and power level and playstyle more stable.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
LGS are really rough to maintain. Its probably one of the less profitable brick and mortar stores you could try to open. People do it out of passion and or need. It rarely ends up being a great experience for those involved.
There's a reason I'm now a collections agent and not still at the LGS...

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
4 years ago
I gotta say, i am very happy with my LGS.
If this doesn't look cozy to you, i don't know what does, honestly.
Show
Hide
That looks like an awesome LGS. I've been to a number of different places, and none of them looked that cozy. Don't get me wrong very few of them have been actively bad just not as cozy as that. The place I'm trying out now is jam packed with product everywhere so it looks...busy, as in too much to look at. But that is probably just be me having a problem with getting visually overstimulated.

Currently, I'm more concerned that it's possible I'm a bit more casual than the players who go there. Their Commander league is cEDH leaning, and I've been kinda getting the feeling that the majority of people who come for Commander nights (whether they're in the league or not) are regularly testing 'higher' powered decks. Got annihilated by Urza stax and two different Kenrith combo decks--one of which was Sushi Hulk--last time I went. Three different games to be clear.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

i looked at r/freemagic and i think i need a tetanus shot..i only looked there because of some sort of controversy on twitter
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

I played my first game with Linden tonight, and it went exactly as I had hoped. I was giggling the whole time as the Derevi, Yarok, and the Eldrazi deck were literally sharing their hands plotting how to deal with my board situation. Twice in a row. The Kenrith deck would have participated as well, but he was having mana issues.

It was glorious.

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

Nice! I love when a deck comes together like that.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
i looked at r/freemagic and i think i need a tetanus shot.
I couldn't keep myself from taking a peek and...

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

I can only imagine what it's like based on the Twitter thing that Hermes is talking about. Years ago there used to be a forum on MTGS that was similar, and it was the worst place full of vile people.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote: I can only imagine what it's like based on the Twitter thing that Hermes is talking about. Years ago there used to be a forum on MTGS that was similar, and it was the worst place full of vile people.
Imagine that, but combined with reddit.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

pokken

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Yeah I should have known better than to look. :P

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

Glanced through a couple threads on there and it's definitely not for me. I'm guessing similar audience to the MTGS forum that cryo is talking about (and the forum that those posters all moved to afterwards).
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote: I can only imagine what it's like based on the Twitter thing that Hermes is talking about. Years ago there used to be a forum on MTGS that was similar, and it was the worst place full of vile people.
may the gutter burn in hell
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Hermes_

i'd rather have the coronavirus than look at that place every again

Hermes_

this bad boy showed up today
SPOILER
Show
Hide
and in an hour I get to go play commander!

Hermes_

My attempt at a desert camo paint job on a M41 Walker Bulldog,using Desert Yellow (Tamiya XF59) and Iraqi Sand (Vallejo FS30475)
SPOILER
Show
Hide

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
My attempt at a desert camo paint job on a M41 Walker Bulldog,using Desert Yellow (Tamiya XF59) and Iraqi Sand (Vallejo FS30475)
SPOILER
Show
Hide
But I thought Tamiyo is blue...
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
That looks pretty good.

Hermes_

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
That looks pretty good.
I'm not sure if i should add Image named NATO brown

Hermes_

Done
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Only got 14 cards left to foil in Molimo. Should be able to get that done this year with any luck.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Hermes_

i'm tempted to take a part my RUW enduring ideal jank deck and put together a tribal deck of some sort

Shabbaman
crying casual
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Shabbaman » 4 years ago

Tank tribal?
“Our words are backed with OBLIVION STONE!" - Mahatma Gandhi

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

So, since my semester at university ran its course a few days back i've gotten a bit more free time on my hands and set myself up with a "little" challenge:

One by one i updated my lists for Xmage and got back on there for the first time in months.
I decided that, whenever i was finished with a list, i'd play said list until i got my first (memorable) win with it.
The mono decks have been a wild ride so far!
Show
Hide
With most pods being 4 player pods, it wasn't surprising that it took me quite a few rounds to win with Traxos, Scourge of Kroog.
I ended up winning against a pod consisting of Anje Falkenrath, Thassa, Deep-Dwelling and Gerrard, Weatherlight Hero eventually. With my first swings i took out Gerry, since i feared his deck would be the most resilient. Anje ran through her deck, but blanked mostly. A timely Tormod's Crypt later she was dead in the water and an easy prey. Thassa was obviously very sturdy, being able to tap down my commander repeatedly. When i resolved Clock of Omens my time had come. With Blackblade Reforged and Strata Scythe (Wastes :explode: ) equipped i was able to one-shot.

Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle is an absolute mess to play online, since you can't fast forward through triggers like you can in paper. Let's just say i haven't made friends due to the down time.
The winning pod was against Golos, Tireless Pilgrim which folded on the spot to a From the Ashes by Torbran, Thane of Red Fell, who in return got annihilated by my Tragic Arrogance. The remaining creatureless Kruphix, God of Horizons wasn't able to rebuild fast enough, so i stomped him with a Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx supercharged Mirror Entity, Memnites and Ornithopters. I was a bit sad that i couldn't fire off the Charge Across the Araba in my hand, though.

Talrand, Sky Summoner manhandled a pod consisting of Gishath, Sun's Avatar, Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca and Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow in his very first game. A t-2 Sapphire Medallion, t-3 commander and ciphered t-4 Hidden Strings quickly got out of hand. Chaining Coastal Piracy into Gravitational Shift with counter backup had me winning within the next 2 turns.

As usual Gonti, Lord of Luxury had to edge through a lenghty game. Jodah, Archmage Eternal, Golos, Tireless Pilgrim and Atraxa, Praetors' Voice were worthy opponents with lots of good stuff (ba dumm tsss) to steal. Lacking originality, this wasn't too entertaining, unfortunately.
In the end Sidisi, Undead Vizier corpse danced into Bubbling Muck and Torment of Hailfire to finish things off.

Zada, Hedron Grinder had me struggling for a while. Several hours of crushing defeats later i was able to outpace and overcome a pretty aggressive pod. Syr Gwyn, Hero of Ashvale didn't hit much else but weenies from the get go, Omnath, Locus of Rage was crucially counterspelled by Alela, Artful Provocateur and when it came to her game-deciding Cyclonic Rift, Pyroblast turned things around for me. With Invigorated Rampage, Twinflame, Dragon Fodder under Kari Zev's Expertise, it was all over.

A bunch of games in, Ezuri, Renegade Leader was facing various control decks in Arixmethes, Slumbering Isle, Korvold, Fae-Cursed King and yet another Golos, Tireless Pilgrim list. Being the obvious aggressor Korvold, Fae-Cursed King had me on the brink of dying to commander damage. The life-saving Squall Line got me down to single digit life, but i top decked Vitalize, which was just enough to swing for the remaining life of the table.
The whole thing once again reminded me that it's the weird interactions and card choices that keep me playing this broken format.

Let others play their Vedalken Orrerys, Scroll Racks and Seedborn Muses.

I prefer to:
- Run Patchwork Gnomes as a discard outlet and Charge Across the Araba as a win con in Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle.

- Gamble with Talent of the Telepath in Talrand, Sky Summoner and have everyone look up the rules of Phasing when i drop Teferi's Veil.

- Sac my commander to Ritual of the Machine to grab someone else's in Gonti, Lord of Luxury or draw 20 cards of Necrologia.

- Provoke absolute madness when Possibility Storm comes down in Zada, Hedron Grinder.

- Aggravate everone else's situation with Hall of Gemstone in Ezuri, Renegade Leader.

- Cling to my life with cards like Warping Wail, Not of This World and Jhoira's Toolbox while i drop Extraplanar Lens imprinting fricking Wastes in Traxos, Scourge of Kroog.

Anyhow, i hope you all had a great start into the week!

cryogen
GΘΔ†

I finally got to play after a hiatus. Won both games for a change. First with Mathas who killed P1 with a large Insurrection, domed P2 with Shriveling Rot + a board wipe, then got the last few points on P3 with Mathas. Game 2 was with Mizzex, landed Psychosis Crawler early and it stuck, using the player to my left wheeling three times (knowing it would kill him and another player), then a Past in Flames with a full yard to finish off the third player.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”