Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
4 years ago
Airi wrote:
4 years ago
I straight up can't figure out what to play, and what decks I actually want on my roster. :anxious:
What's making you think that? For eg:

I had my Drana 1.0 deck for so long that I finally got bored of it recently and changed it to Elenda. The idea of the deck and the fact that it hadn't changed a whole lot over such a long time kinda killed it for now.

Zegana 1.0 was always a deck on the back burner, so I also recently decided to retire it. Might actually revisit it with a higher importance soon, with some of the Leviathan etc goodies lately.

My idea for Elsha was just a straight up terrible one, lol. Good thing it never saw the light of day on here.
Other than Yuriko, it feels like a lot of what I've built recently (and for the record, I also still have some decks together that aren't in my signature like Windgrace, Atraxa, and Teysa 3.0) is hitting the mark of what I want out of the list, while simultaneously not being able to figure out a direction to go that will actually deliver on what I wanted the deck to be.
BRG "Toolbox" |B Xiahou Dun | UB Tegwyll | RG Hans | WB Astarion

Sanity_Eclipse
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

So the lists are functional, but not what you wanted / expected the deck to be? Is that a fair summary? I gotcha. Sometimes it just doesn't work out the way you want.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Airi
Queen of Salt

Yeah, either the list or the theme. Kind of varies from deck to deck.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

It happens, and I think you just need to be honest with yourself as to whether each deck is worth the effort. You can only play one at a time and if it just doesn't call to you, life is too busy to maintain a list (as well as a thread dedicated to documenting that said list if that's what you wanna do). I think when this happens the best idea is to recap with 'what did I enjoy about this deck and how can I encourage this in a further iteration?' followed by 'does this justify keeping the deck or is it back to the drawing board with more focus on this theme or under a different commander?'

To my mind it's harder to pin down a great build via mechanics/archetypes because there's a lot of variation in what could be included based on that. Theme, however, gets a little easier. Vorthos decks sort of build themselves, whether it's a strict theme or a 'vibe of the thing', you sort of just know when the flavour is just right.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Airi
Queen of Salt

I opted to go for the Marie Kondo cleaning method for my decks :D

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

I recently saw a quick clip of Marie Kondo and didn't know just how animated she actually is. Twas a bit surprising.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

So if you didn't see it on Twitter, one of the CAG members asked for useless combos, and while not useless, someone came up with this gem:

City of Solitude + Lethal Vapors + Teferi's Protection

Basically, use CoS to protect yourself from untimely removal, holding priority activate LV a million times, then phase out and let your opponents try to mill you out before they deck themselves waiting for all your skipped turns to pass. It's crazy enough that I have to try it at some point. At the very least, if I ever find myself in a game holding TP and someone drops LV imma throw caution in the wind and see what happens.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

toctheyounger

Airi wrote:
4 years ago
I opted to go for the Marie Kondo cleaning method for my decks :D
I....think that's what I was saying anyway lol. I had a great Edgar Markov deck that just didn't spark joy for me, so it was an easy choice to strip for parts. I deliberated a little because it was a good deck, but I didn't play it and it didn't bring me enjoyment, so ultimately no regrets.
Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
4 years ago
I recently saw a quick clip of Marie Kondo and didn't know just how animated she actually is. Twas a bit surprising.
It is hilarious seeing a tiny japanese lady look down her nose at a burly husband who won't help his family with chores.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
So if you didn't see it on Twitter, one of the CAG members asked for useless combos, and while not useless, someone came up with this gem:

City of Solitude + Lethal Vapors + Teferi's Protection

Basically, use CoS to protect yourself from untimely removal, holding priority activate LV a million times, then phase out and let your opponents try to mill you out before they deck themselves waiting for all your skipped turns to pass. It's crazy enough that I have to try it at some point. At the very least, if I ever find myself in a game holding TP and someone drops LV imma throw caution in the wind and see what happens.
An alternative to City of Solitude is Grand Abolisher. I've seen this before in an Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim deck that searched and exiled cards from opponent libraries to remove anything that could keep them from decking themselves. I was thinking of doing this with Oloro so I could add Extract and a little bit of counter-spelling as backup for Abolisher.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
I've seen this before in an Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim deck that searched and exiled cards from opponent libraries to remove anything that could keep them from decking themselves. I was thinking of doing this with Oloro so I could add Extract and a little bit of counter-spelling as backup for Abolisher.
I've seen this before in person actually. But I was playing Zedruu, so I went off with Eye of the Storm and killed the other two players, and then the person scooped when I didn't scoop rather than let me toy with them... but I was going to exile their library with Knowledge Pools and then loop Mirror of Fate as many times as the turns they skipped to make them lost on their own turn. In retrospect, I could have orchestrated it with Temporal Cascade to have everyone else loop through infinite turns with me and made the "invincible" player lose first.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

toctheyounger

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
I've seen this before in an Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim deck that searched and exiled cards from opponent libraries to remove anything that could keep them from decking themselves. I was thinking of doing this with Oloro so I could add Extract and a little bit of counter-spelling as backup for Abolisher.
I've seen this before in person actually. But I was playing Zedruu, so I went off with Eye of the Storm and killed the other two players, and then the person scooped when I didn't scoop rather than let me toy with them... but I was going to exile their library with Knowledge Pools and then loop Mirror of Fate as many times as the turns they skipped to make them lost on their own turn. In retrospect, I could have orchestrated it with Temporal Cascade to have everyone else loop through infinite turns with me and made the "invincible" player lose first.
I swear, there is nothing that beats that deck for shenanigans. Its delirium in 100 cards or less.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
I swear, there is nothing that beats that deck for shenanigans. Its delirium in 100 cards or less.
I take great joy knowing that the nonsense cards I like to play just absolutely obliterate even the fluffiest of pillow forts. I'm basically still in until you kill me or stop me from casting spells ever again.

toctheyounger

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
I take great joy knowing that the nonsense cards I like to play just absolutely obliterate even the fluffiest of pillow forts. I'm basically still in until you kill me or stop me from casting spells ever again.
Not gonna lie, I miss the deck for that. The people I play with just got sick of the tomfoolery, so I just couldn't justify keeping it together though. Nonetheless, it pleases me greatly to know that Zedruu continues to confuse the bejesus out of board states somewhere out there in the world.

Airi
Queen of Salt

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
I....think that's what I was saying anyway lol. I had a great Edgar Markov deck that just didn't spark joy for me, so it was an easy choice to strip for parts. I deliberated a little because it was a good deck, but I didn't play it and it didn't bring me enjoyment, so ultimately no regrets.
Yeah, it just made me laugh because prior to your comment, I had just made some of the other mods listen to me use that process to go through my decks (with the added category of "could spark joy if adjusted")

toctheyounger

Airi wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah, it just made me laugh because prior to your comment, I had just made some of the other mods listen to me use that process to go through my decks (with the added category of "could spark joy if adjusted")
Often for me that's 'could spark joy if I could be bothered adjusting'. I'm just pretty picky as to what I build these days. What sparks joy in decks for me generally has to hit quite a few different interest points thematically and/or mechanically.

Airi
Queen of Salt

I ended up with four in the keep pile, five in the don't keep pile and 2-3 in the maybe keep pile, although I'm having issues re-adjusting Saskia in to what I want her to be so she may join the "does not spark joy" generals.

toctheyounger

Airi wrote:
4 years ago
I ended up with four in the keep pile, five in the don't keep pile and 2-3 in the maybe keep pile, although I'm having issues re-adjusting Saskia in to what I want her to be so she may join the "does not spark joy" generals.
I considered her for a vorthos Malazan build at one point but abandoned it as being too ambitious and difficult to make work. Also I'm kind of at capacity at 14 decks and haven't even done post salvation write ups for any of my other theme decks so it seemed like spreading too thin.

That's a pretty good cull though. Hopefully that frees up some staples for you; the one upside of culling decks is shoring up your 'keep' builds.

Inkeyes22

Post by Inkeyes22 » 4 years ago

Hello All

So I thought I would introduce myself. I have been playing MtG since 1997 and EDH since 2009. I recently moved to Florida with my wife and four kids. I get bored of decks quickly, but have not been able to play much recently. I am working on my MEd - Instructional Design currently about half way through. My capstone is using EDH to teach topics such as ethics, social skills etc. (topics that can be a bit dry). I was pretty active on the official forums under the same name so I might know some of you already.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Inkeyes22 wrote:
4 years ago

Hello All

So I thought I would introduce myself. I have been playing MtG since 1997 and EDH since 2009. I recently moved to Florida with my wife and four kids. I get bored of decks quickly, but have not been able to play much recently. I am working on my MEd - Instructional Design currently about half way through. My capstone is using EDH to teach topics such as ethics, social skills etc. (topics that can be a bit dry). I was pretty active on the official forums under the same name so I might know some of you already.
Quality use of header right here. A+

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

Inkeyes22 wrote:
4 years ago

Hello All

oh great you're here now... ( I was trappedslider over at mtgcommander.net )
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Inkeyes22

Post by Inkeyes22 » 4 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
oh great you're here now... ( I was trappedslider over at mtgcommander.net )
Sorry, I am sure you had hoped to be rid of me, lol

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Hey, welcome Inkeyes! Glad you migrated over :)
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

Welcome, Inkeyes22! I'm recently new here too.

Airi
Queen of Salt

Welcome! We're always happy to see new faces. :)

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

wow...the backlash or a combo of it and whatever else has caused Shivam (he's on the CAG) to take a break from twitter if not all social media
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”